Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

Guyyys! Watch this devstream!!!!

What do you think? :)

If you ask me, I like it. However, I already see one or two issues with it... (it's mostly jumps : you can't interrupt it between two "hops" + these jumps weren't very "directionable", it's like you couldn't really change the angle of your direction,like what we got now...)

If you ask me, I like it. However, I already see one or two issues with it... (it's mostly jumps : you can't interrupt it between two "hops" + these jumps weren't very "directionable", it's like you couldn't really change the angle of your direction,like what we got now...)

They need to tune the physics a bit more IMO (Needs more mods), but I like the direction a lot more than the pinball method they had suggest for the second draft, really the system reminds of Megaman X's walljumping. It's nowhere near as sticky as the current parkpur and it's not as finicky since you can actively control where you're going and cling to the wall if you need to reorient yourself. The added element of interacting with enemies is a nice bonus and I'm glad they kept that.

Edited by Basilisk1991

-Hitscan weapons in higher levels are going to make it used for running away, unless they significantly lower enemy accuracy while we're hopping all over the place.

-I was hoping for charge jumps instead of double jumps. A bit more Super Mario 64 instead of... any game with double jumps.

-They say everything could be used as a parkour surface, but my worry is that I won't be able to connect to the next surface because of weird geometry screwing up my jump angle or that there won't be any surface to connect to. It's too wallhop oriented IMO. But this opinion may change once I play the game.

-With wallrun we can kinda kill enemies while our frames run in a straight line on autopilot, now I'm worried that parkour may become a bit too involved to the point of us having to sit still on a wall to shoot, becoming a target for bullets. But this may change if the wallrun is still around

-I'm not to impressed with the goomba stomping. They need to increase the distance we get when goomba-ing enemies. The enemy reaction feels delayed, needs more oomph.

-No news on vaulting yet.

-No plans for ground movement it seems. Again, I was hoping for SM64 styled running where you can make a literal long jump. But I guess it's no problem.

-The wall hops need more velocity and less vertical bobbing. Make it feel like we're launching ourselves as a human(?) missile, not doing continuous double jumps.

I like the concept, but the implementation still needs work. Disregarding all the criticism I currently have for it, I am excited for Spider-man esque super-powered rapid movement parkour.

Edited by Lukap99

This hopping system feels like a big "fk you"  to ALL of our threads.  I just cant be happy about this.

Instead of various moves that had to be combined to get somwhere we get ONLY ONE move that does it all.   And its not even limited by stamina.

This hopping system feels like a big "fk you"  to ALL of our threads.  I just cant be happy about this.

Instead of various moves that had to be combined to get somwhere we get ONLY ONE move that does it all.   And its not even limited by stamina.

It seems a bit too early to be holding up our signs and proclaiming that the end has come, don't you think? No one's actually even played it yet, and Rebecca's not known for her parkour skills now, isn't she? And maybe (I hope) they'll find a way to mix the wallrun in there.

It seems a bit too early to be holding up our signs and proclaiming that the end has come, don't you think? No one's actually even played it yet, and Rebecca's not known for her parkour skills now, isn't she? And maybe (I hope) they'll find a way to mix the wallrun in there.

I quite agree. Besides, there were some actually good stuff shown, like wall clinging. Stating that the whole thing is a fiasco is a bit premature. 

Also, while Rebecca didn't showcase the new parkour in best way possible, the way she described her reaction to it was exactly what I wanted from the new system. Feeling of freedom on the map. If wall hopping is enough to give me the same feeling, I'm fine with. Although, more divers and complex system would be most welcomed. But maybe their taking baby steps with it? As in, they're creating a solid foundation now ("everything is a movement tool"), and they will add more elaborate moves as the time passes? 

I quite agree. Besides, there were some actually good stuff shown, like wall clinging. Stating that the whole thing is a fiasco is a bit premature. 

Also, while Rebecca didn't showcase the new parkour in best way possible, the way she described her reaction to it was exactly what I wanted from the new system. Feeling of freedom on the map. If wall hopping is enough to give me the same feeling, I'm fine with. Although, more divers and complex system would be most welcomed. But maybe their taking baby steps with it? As in, they're creating a solid foundation now ("everything is a movement tool"), and they will add more elaborate moves as the time passes? 

inb4 parkour detection is as bad as it is in Ps4 currently and copter 2.0

9) There's potential for cooperative moves. They can be optional (act as alternatives to other methods) but very rewarding for coordinated players.

As suggested by BladeBehindTheSmile: "I think that leg-ups, and other such team tactics would also be a good addition to that list, as it would encourage further player interaction during missions."

dDe9JNB.gif

Hold crouch + hold jump keys? I think it'd be important to suggest it not force an auto-jump, rather a player needs to jump into the setup to active the launch.

yep, That's the way I see it also. i see nothing positive. where are the cool looking moves ? look at the Tomb of the sentients trailer. i see nothing similar movement.

Parkour 2.0 doesn't look nearly as Space Ninja as Coptor:  https://youtu.be/vZWkqd9yEyo

I hope you're simply mocking those in love with weird, ugly and booring mechanics and your post is sarcastic.

If not, the same hectic speed and agility could be achieved with properly fun and varied parkour mechanics that look decent, we just have to hope they polish it right.

Edited by Aure7

I hope you're simply mocking those in love with weird, ugly and booring mechanics and your post is sarcastic.

If not, the same hectic speed and agility could be achieved with properly fun and varied parkour mechanics that look decent, we just have to hope they polish it right.

look more like michael jackson air moonwalking than ninja to me

I recently found out about Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and Jedi Knight academy

Look at it.
Look at how smooth it is.

It's so smooth you can pick up ladies with it.

Mostly at the beginning. Notice how you can jump in four directions.

Parkour bits at the beginning. Notice how smooth the vertical wallrun transition is.

Edited by Lukap99

This is the right kind of Parkour.

Check at 5mins.

He was air slashing their heads off.

This what we should be doing in our game.

And infinitely more fun than parkour and the current copter mechanics.

Edited by fatpig84

gTpXnQ3.png

you're misunderstanding it. using any means available to you to traverse obstacles and terrain quickly.

I didn't misunderstanding it, I just more focus on its origin purpose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

Parkour (French pronunciation: ​[paʁkuʁ]) is a training discipline using movement that developed from military obstacle course training.[4][5][6] Practitioners aim to get from A to B in the most efficient way possible.

Aim to get from A to B, thats how space+E works.

Military need quick & clear moves, not fancy flips, in WF is the same, people choice to use Directional Melee because it's quick & clear

Edited by cary2010haha1

Now i can say THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! 

New possibilities are great, Parkour 2.0 provides much more freedom. Wall hopping indeed looks weird, but it was WIP anyway with many placeholders.
Once it recieves various animations and ability to use charge jumps along the walls (if it's not already there), it will look much better. 
I'm not sure that removing wall running was a good idea, at least at some extent it could stay - It works well on long walls. Still, if they will improve current idea visually and functionally, i am in.

Some players concerned about traveling through large open areas with no surfaces but floor, and that's reasonable. Current sprint is really underwhelming, and just removing stamina won't help - butt-scooting will never stop this way, and this one looks even more silly than coptering.
New animations and visual effects in conjunction with mechanic that allows player to increase speed over time (up to certain limit) while sprinting could help. And base movement speed buffs, yes. That's vital.
It will be just enough for corridors and very few large open areas we have, for everything else there's parkour with momentum-building on move. This option should be superior to sprint, so balancing is important here. 

I've noticed during demo that ledge grab animation and following transition is still the same, slow and clunky one. I hope it will be replaced with something more streamlined. 

Another point is dodging. It sucks. Needs a rework as well, haven't seen anything on this particular topic.

Edited by Criosaw

I think this needs to be stickied or something. Hopefully I don't get a slap on the wrist for bumping this again, but even if I do, it'll be worth it. I love some of the input here and it needs attention.

There are a lot of times when missions lack enemies thanks to the spawner being nerfed.  Any way it's sliced, the loss of coptor is a huge loss in movement speed and freedom that parkour can't provide.

Also, there are some wide open spaces (earth maps and The Simulacrum, for example) that we will not be able to get across quickly now.  That's another strain of fun exterminated from Warframe.

We fought the removal of coptor for over a year now and DE wants to kill it again, after pretending to finally accept it.  And this thread was originally about better parkour, not getting rid of coptor.  That's why I voted for it.  The upvote tally on the OP is a sham.  No way does it represent a vote to get rid of coptor.

Edited by ThePresident777

There are a lot of times when missions lack enemies thanks to the spawner being nerfed.  Any way it's sliced, the loss of coptor is a huge loss in movement speed and freedom that parkour can't provide.

Also, there are some wide open spaces (earth maps and The Simulacrum, for example) that we will not be able to get across quickly now.  That's another strain of fun exterminated from Warframe.

We fought the removal of coptor for over a year now and DE wants to kill it again, after pretending to finally accept it.  And this thread was originally about better parkour, not getting rid of coptor.  That's why I voted for it.  The upvote tally on the OP is a sham.  No way does it represent a vote to get rid of coptor.

I remember OP being quite clear about his intentions in that regard. Although, it is curious how much time we will "lose" by not having coptering. My guess is 2-3 minutes tops. I have nothing to back it up, just general experience.