Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

I'm clinging to the hope that unlike dark sector, Arcwing will be a very fleshed out mode that one, has a tutorial in the codex and two has strong gameplay. Dark sector has been with the game for a bit and its still in need of polish for its core gameplay. So much so that it is frustrating. But I still have hope for the new mode.

The problem with Archwings is that it has pretty much nothing to do with the game as it currently exists. By that I don't mean that doesn't use the same characters or factions or themes, I mean that it's adding a flight simulator into a first person shooter, we won't be fighting any of the same enemies, we won't be using any of the same weapons, and won't be using any of the same powers.

Archwings could be an entirely separate game on it's own. Dark Sector [the game] is more similar to Warframe than Archwings are.

Now to an extent this is good: it opens up a lot of potential future content and updates, as well as something to keep the community busy for a couple of months, hopefully until the next major update.

But to an extent this is bad: since it's so different from what the rest of the game is like, DE will be less inclined to add to it. I'm willing to bet that we're presented with one mission type, and it'll be weeks to months before we get a second. As fun as flying around will be, it's just as bad as the Gate Crasher event, in which we start the mission, do the exact same thing, and finish. The community will be bored of it long before the next major update.

Unless, of course, DE puts a considerable amount of effort into it's continued development, and keeping it new and exciting. The result of that however, will mean that the rest of the game will fall by the wayside. DE can work at making Warframe great or Archwings great, but it'll be hard pressed to do both at the same time, and attempting to do so will mean slower updates for both halves.

The end result is that DE will inevitably abandon Archwings just as it has the Dojo, parkour, dark sectors, etc, and we'll be left with another shiny feature that rusted out before it's time, and was left a gimmick.

If they decide to allow players to use the guns/swords that can be used in Archwings in the rest of the game, that'd at least be exciting, since we'd have people dragging around gigantic door-swords and heavy cannons you have to drag to move. But I'm not willing to bet we'll be allowed that.

Edited by Wurdyburd

I know. But unlike TF2 Warframe still doesn't have a solid core. It's more of a dense liquid.

I beg to differ. Casual gameplay is carried away by hats but it has very solid core for anyone who wants to play seriously and skillfully.

It's been almost a year since this was made and we have yet to see parkour even be touched.

I'm a vet, and I am -SEVERLY- tired of the parkour physics in Warframe.

DE, please, when you are done with Archwing, LOOK BACK AT YOUR OLD MECHANICS

I beg to differ. Casual gameplay is carried away by hats but it has very solid core for anyone who wants to play seriously and skillfully.

I'm talking about Warframe, actually. I really like TF2 gameplay, even if I don't play it nearly as often as WF.

I watched the video on Overgrowth, and have seen the parkour in Titanfall... It actually makes me sad when I think of what WF COULD be vs what it is.

In a perfect world, after the next major update is rolled out (Noahs Boat Birdlifters) that the animation department takes a long, hard look at this thread.

I love WF a lot, it is the ONLY F2P game I have ever given any money to. But there is so much room to improve. <3 ya, DE.

I watched the video on Overgrowth, and have seen the parkour in Titanfall... It actually makes me sad when I think of what WF COULD be vs what it is.

In a perfect world, after the next major update is rolled out (Noahs Boat Birdlifters) that the animation department takes a long, hard look at this thread.

I love WF a lot, it is the ONLY F2P game I have ever given any money to. But there is so much room to improve. <3 ya, DE.

Parkour/Movement does need to be improved, but I think a large reason as to why it has not happened large-scale yet is because it would require changes or even total reworks not only to movement but also to the maps, tilesets, and the animations. Simply put, it'd take a long time.

I'd argue that Warframe would handle aesthetic items better than TF2.

The possibilities are endless.

I agree. DE seems to be on board with the idea of player created content, especially with the current skin contest going on.

Perhaps a steam workshop equivalent? Heck, maybe even the steam workshop itself, since warframe is already on steam.

I'd argue that Warframe would handle aesthetic items better than TF2.

any game is equally viable for Cosmetics... because it's a digital medium.

I agree. DE seems to be on board with the idea of player created content, especially with the current skin contest going on.

UGC? have you seen TF2? it's being talked about here already, and at this point, like, half the content in the game is UGC!

Unfortunately Overgrowth was a failure, if you're not familiar with it's history. Such games are based solely on those mechanics you saw, rather than all the rest of the mechanics we have in this game (all other movement, guns, enemies, etc). You could say the same about Assassin's Creed, but it doesn't really matter because those games, at their core, were made to do parkour. It's never a matter of making a game like another game, because they aren't not built by the same people, or were built over the course of years. We've not even hit year 2 of this game's development yet, and the parkour mechanics have been around even less time.

This thread is also old and the original post still has a lot of things that were fixed already (though some things have been edited to reflect what was fixed several months ago).

Parkour/Movement does need to be improved, but I think a large reason as to why it has not happened large-scale yet is because it would require changes or even total reworks not only to movement but also to the maps, tilesets, and the animations. Simply put, it'd take a long time.

Honestly tho, just reducing the long pauses in between movements, clunky mounts and dismounts, and loss of momentum when you do anything other than copter would improve parkour by like 50%.

Honestly tho, just reducing the long pauses in between movements, clunky mounts and dismounts, and loss of momentum when you do anything other than copter would improve parkour by like 50%.

Yeah but a total rework I think would benefit the game more nicely than just small updates here and there.

IIRC the game was not designed with parkour around, so the fact that it is sticky is understandable (it was a trial after community suggestion) but now I think they should think about re-doing the entire system so that physics is more apparent. Even the way enemies interact with the ground feels very much too static.

However I do think that a small hotfix can improve the parkour a little bit but not really 50%.

Loss of momentum is a very big problem and it may or may not tie in with how sticky the system is

any game is equally viable for Cosmetics... because it's a digital medium.

UGC? have you seen TF2? it's being talked about here already, and at this point, like, half the content in the game is UGC!

TF2 is very bare bones. Warframe has dojos, ships, poses, etc.

There is so much that could use flare.

As for UGC, it's literally free work for devs, and it is especially helpful for free-to-play games as DLC is a big no no for them.

WF would go very far of it focused on aesthetics more than function items. Especially if there are more than fifty primaries.

Yeah but a total rework I think would benefit the game more nicely than just small updates here and there.

IIRC the game was not designed with parkour around, so the fact that it is sticky is understandable (it was a trial after community suggestion) but now I think they should think about re-doing the entire system so that physics is more apparent. Even the way enemies interact with the ground feels very much too static.

However I do think that a small hotfix can improve the parkour a little bit but not really 50%.

Loss of momentum is a very big problem and it may or may not tie in with how sticky the system is

yeah, I think just reducing the loss of momentum alone would significantly improve the game. Also better collision detection. Really, the addition of some new animations, and the improvement of how parkour reacts on certain surfaces would be nice. If adding free range movement would be too much work, the could simply add the feature to jump off walls perpendicular to the surface, especially if they added a "cling to wall" feature. It would feel a little more like assassin creed, only you'd be making a foothold based on where you choose to stop, rather then what the game dictates, and you'd be able to wall run again when you jumped to the wall on the side of you. It'd allow infinite wall climb if your in a corner, but thats fine, if you can "cling to walls" you should be able to run up another length of distance each time you stop anyway.

It'd be less hard to impliment those kinds of changes then to do a complete rework of the system. I can actually see them doing these smaller fixes.

Edited by Temphis