Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guns should benefit from combo multiplier.

Bluemillion

An easy way to bring guns up to snuff would be tying them into the combo multiplier system. Charge up combo with a melee weapon, then gunshots get a bonus multiplier and use up combo. The bonus and the amount of combo used could be stats unique to each gun. For example, a shotgun would get a bigger damage bonus and use up more combo per shot than an SMG would. Snipers would be excluded from this, since they already have their own combo system and wouldn't synergize well with melee. This would also give us another option to build for aside from crit and status.

This idea has lots of problems, but it's in the right direction. It's undeniable that melee is at least 10x stronger than all ranged weapons. Surely people have noticed that gunblades and exodia contagion have been the "meta" for many of the recent events, simply because they're "ranged melee". Any enemy that's attackable in melee range is always melted by regular melee weapons. 

DE's statement has generally been "Well, if you're ready to risk getting up close and personal with your enemies, you should be rewarded by this huge increase in damage." I don't really buy it, in my experience, melee range is the safest place to be: In melee range, most of the enemies have their ranged attacks blocked by their friends, so you are taking far less incoming fire at this range. The melee stances are also highly mobile, so you are taking very few hits to begin with. Sure, some enemies have slam attacks or grapples, but we have primed sure footed! In my experience and testing, melee range while mashing E is the safest tactic. Sniping from long range (long in the sense of a tileset distance, open worlds are different) is extermely dangerous because you take incoming fire from many directions, and enemies at high level are very accurate! 

Ranged weapons need a buff. Or melee needs a nerf.  Or... something. Or... we stop caring about balance altogether? Hell, the only (mostly) balanced mode in Warframe is conclave, and even that has some absurd exploits (hence the "mostly") as outliers [telos boltace??] (which gets you banned from all the conclave private matches, resulting in players complaining they "can't find a match" - yeah... duh?) 

In short, I agree with OP. Balance needs another look, melee is too strong. I'm not sure if the melee combo multiplier is the right way for ranged weapons, but at least it's a conversation starter. Honestly, even multiplying all ranged weapon damage by 5 would still not be enough. I think the system needs an entire overhaul, which is obviously unlikely since they recently overhauled melee entirely (which did fix the absurd condition overload math, so now melee is only 10x stronger than ranged, instead of 100x. That's good, but...)

On 2020-08-04 at 8:28 PM, Bluemillion said:

Charge up combo with a melee weapon, then gunshots get a bonus multiplier and use up combo

So firing my gun depletes my combo? That would suuuuuccck. It would destroy the fluid gun and melee combos entirely, as firing your weapon would kill a few enemies while keeping your combo up would do loads more damage to all of them.

No more damage prepper secondaries, no more skipping of long reloads with quick melee, and in the choice between heavy melee and firing a gun 99% of the time the melee will do more damage and over a much wider area to more enemies.

The bonus and the amount of combo used could be stats unique to each gun. For example, a shotgun would get a bigger damage bonus and use up more combo per shot than an SMG would.

You say that like balancing this for every weapon (type, status, modular/kitguns and multiple firing modes) wouldn't be an incredible amount of dev time and effort to get right.

An easy way to bring guns up to snuff would be tying them into the combo multiplier system.

This would not be easy.

This would also give us another option to build for aside from crit and status

True, and we do need some serious buffs for primary weapons.

I think I'd rather have something like Primed Orokin Catalysts that double the base stats (and maybe even add ranks Kuva style) but that are much harder to get and build so you only get to supercharge a few weapons.

Archived