Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

can't get cetus wisp

Refson

Question

hello, so I recently started to hunt eidolons and I need a better amp ( I currently have the 1 1 1 amp ) I am aiming for the 2 2 3 but I can't get cetus wisps I go around every body of water and I can't find any.

This is what works for me.  I average about 2 to 3 wisps every time I go out to look for them.

1.) I read somewhere that during the Plains of Eidolon's day cycle a maximum of four Cetus Wisps spawn on the entire map. And that in the night cycle a maximum of 8 will spawn for the entire map.  They spawn at day and night.  They are just  easier to see at night though.  And those numbers should give you idea of when you can stop looking for then on that particular download of the P of E tileset. . ( I don't know if the full number respawns again if you go into Cetus and come back out again.  I'll have to try that.)

2..) They spawn on the banks of any body of water that is not the sea.  I've found most of mine on the banks of Gara Toht Lake  and the lake at Twin Horns. But have also found them on the little lakes that circle to the left of Twin Horns, and the three lakes that  run up to the north and left  from Hek's Stilleto. And by 'banks' I mean running along the edge of the water so that its almost possible to accidentally touch the water and get shocked a little.  I find that that's where they usually are.

3.) I find that the easiest thing to do is just run along the rims of the bodies of water, just about, but not quite  touching the water.   If you have the RUSH mod, that makes it easier to do. I know there's people that like to fly over the lake in circle in a archwing, but I find the  little buggers are so small and so subtle that its too easy to just fly right past them.  Sometimes you don't even quite see them but find you have run into one.(  I discovered my method when I was in combat with the Grineer along a lake.That's when I realized you can find them during the day cycle. ) The other thing people like to do is use loot detector or other such mods. I gave up on that when I kept being led away from the banks of the water by Iradite formations and Maprico trees and general (and sometimes underground!) Grineer junk.  The boxes on the overhead map are not as close to you as they look on the overhead.  Remember that these guys are tiny and subtle. Its like you only spot them when they're three feet way. and you have a split second to move through them.

4.) Once you have spotted them and caught them a few times, then you know exactly what to look for and react faster.  Its harder before that. Also, here and there there's little gas wisps that make you think you see one. You'll get better at distinguishing that later.

5.) In addition to doing bounty missions regularly to get past the vagaries of the infamous Random Number Generaltor (RNG!)., you should also be doing regular 'wisp runs.'  A regular run is where you just run around the edges of the bodies of water in a pattern that makes sense to you until  you meet your daily quota of, say 2 wisps s day, or 4 a night.. This is so that when you get your first requirement for Cetus wisps and you see it 12 that's needed, your jaw won't drop. Accumulating them little by little before you need them helps a lot. You want to stay close to Cetus if you are new to the plains and unpowered to the Grineer.  When you're stronger, you can range farther and have more Grineer fights along the way. 

6.) During the day,  the Grineer will be your problem during a wisp run.  But at night, the Vomvalyst Sentients will be your problem.  But its only when you've progressed in the game to having an 'operator' that Cetus wisps will become important.  I've found that I can fold my wisp-hunting into my Sentient Core hunting.  Both the Cetus Wisps, and the Vomvalysts that the Sentient Core come from are Sentients and they both seem to prefer being on the banks of bodies of water. So what I do is at night I'll head to the nearest Grineer camps, kill the Grineer, and then shoot up their Eidolon lure until it dies, which allows me to hack it.  Hacking it makes it follow me on my wisp run.  If I run into Vomvalysts attacted to the lure, I pop the operator out and let him kill them twice with his amp and collect the sentient cores. These days I'm getting about 40 Sentient cores a night along with 2 or 3 wisps.

14 minutes ago, Refson said:

Thank you all for your help I appreciate the time and effort you have all taken to help me

I'm obviously not as fast as I once was and I don't have the spawn locations memorized now but if you're wanting some assistance I can help you run a few if I'm online.

56 minutes ago, SHArK-FiN said:

1) Energy pads
2) Energy orbs from crates/enemies
3) Zenurik Energizing Dash, fly close to the ground inside the dome to get the buff

Me and my Friends had none of these when we were farming for our Amps... (God these were sad times)

Unlike the crates on The Valli's that will always give a minimum of 50 Energy... The ones on the Plains are pure RNG... Just as unreliable as the ones in standard missions. 

On 2020-08-22 at 10:30 PM, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Thanks. The only reason I don't recommend new players to try flying low is because they often stumble on them without knowing and spook the wisp into disappearing. Being high up sure is harder to spot them hence the scope but they won't run off. Honestly though the biggest tip is using cosmic crush, you get so many more by using that.

Just a side note all detection is only 12m vertical no matter horizontal radius. Some people didn't know that while flying too high up, and wonder why their detection mods go malfunction.

5 hours ago, Lutesque said:

How are they going Fuel Itzal's Cosmic Crush... ?

When I had to do this Farm for the first time I could only use it once with the Energy Archwing's Start with.

1) Energy pads
2) Energy orbs from crates/enemies
3) Zenurik Energizing Dash, fly close to the ground inside the dome to get the buff

---

Some other tips to spot wisp more easily. Wisp only spawn at the edge of water surface, not on water or close to water. If you see a gap between a loot icon and the edge of water on minimap, it's not a wisp. (There are some exception that spawn around puddle in camps)
They are more shiny and noticeable if you turned on glare and have the effects intensity set to highest. Just remember to take off eye-catching ephemera on your warframe/archwing because their intensity increases too.

5 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Wait.... 

When I had to do this Farm for the first time I could only use it once with the Energy Archwing's Start with.

Although I guess it doesn't matter if the game only spawns a single Cetus Wisp... 

So upon entering PoE  void dash with Zenurik equipped, pop into your archwing in the AoE and it will give zenurik charge to your Archwing as you  fly. Also you can use energy pads. There are always at least 3-4 wisps at night, often up to 6.

53 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

I don't believe they spawn in caves. What you said about being hard to spot them is true. In that video I was going slow and spotting them out with the scope to show players what I'm trying to find. But I don't recommend that way. When I actually did it to farm them, mod your itzal for max power strength and some range and use cosmic crush. All you have to do is spot a loot icon where there is clearly not a maprico bush, crate or anything else it could be and you KNOW that it's a wisp. Fly down on top of the icon and use cosmic crush to vacuum it up. It's faster and you don't have to look for them. Also the most I've found at night time is 6, and 4 during the day.

Wait.... 

Although I guess it doesn't matter if the game only spawns a single Cetus Wisp... 

9 hours ago, XTROPrime said:

I just tried flying the wisp route in daytime and was able to find 3 wisps.  I went back inside Cetus and came out again and this time I didn't find a single one. So I'm thinking the program remembers the maximum number wisps its supposed to have out there per daytime and nighttime.

Now that  I'm flying the wisp route in my archwing, I can see what threw me off the first time I tired. The archwing  moves  you along a lot faster then when you are on the ground. When you are in the archwing and moving little bit above the ground, it feels like watching a movie that been sped up more than it was supposed to be, and is 'jerkier' to watch. If you haven't seen Cetus wisps  in front of you before, its hard to notice them going like that.  Now I can even spot them from a little above the ground.  So this is nice.

Another thing you consider is going back over the lake in  opposite direction.  I.e., if you searched the lake once  clockwise, try it again going counter clockwise.  I wisp could be behind a rock or boulder you went over the first time.  Also, if you find a wisp on a late, keeping going. I found a second wisp on the other side of a lake  that I had found a previous one on.

Has anyone ever found a wisp near the water areas in the caves? I'll trying looking at that next.

I don't believe they spawn in caves. What you said about being hard to spot them is true. In that video I was going slow and spotting them out with the scope to show players what I'm trying to find. But I don't recommend that way. When I actually did it to farm them, mod your itzal for max power strength and some range and use cosmic crush. All you have to do is spot a loot icon where there is clearly not a maprico bush, crate or anything else it could be and you KNOW that it's a wisp. Fly down on top of the icon and use cosmic crush to vacuum it up. It's faster and you don't have to look for them. Also the most I've found at night time is 6, and 4 during the day.

I just tried flying the wisp route in daytime and was able to find 3 wisps.  I went back inside Cetus and came out again and this time I didn't find a single one. So I'm thinking the program remembers the maximum number wisps its supposed to have out there per daytime and nighttime.

Now that  I'm flying the wisp route in my archwing, I can see what threw me off the first time I tired. The archwing  moves  you along a lot faster then when you are on the ground. When you are in the archwing and moving little bit above the ground, it feels like watching a movie that been sped up more than it was supposed to be, and is 'jerkier' to watch. If you haven't seen Cetus wisps  in front of you before, its hard to notice them going like that.  Now I can even spot them from a little above the ground.  So this is nice.

Another thing you consider is going back over the lake in  opposite direction.  I.e., if you searched the lake once  clockwise, try it again going counter clockwise.  I wisp could be behind a rock or boulder you went over the first time.  Also, if you find a wisp on a late, keeping going. I found a second wisp on the other side of a lake  that I had found a previous one on.

Has anyone ever found a wisp near the water areas in the caves? I'll trying looking at that next.

ideally you should be finding 4-5 wisps per run.

I'm going by what worked for me.  The loot detector/flying in the air thing didn't work for me at all.  Its probably the difference in experience level. I may be able to do the loot detector/flying thing later on. You really need to actually find them and catch them a few times to really know what you're doing. The loot detector.flying thing might be too advanced for a beginner at wisp hunting.

Anyhow, I've folded my wisp hunting into  my sentient core hunting and I'm happy with the results for now.

Three things  I   forgot to mention above:  1.) when you use a Grineer  Eidolon lure,  the first  three Vomvalyst  "ghosts" you make by killing their physical form will get sucked into the lure and its  yellow shield will turn cyan. That means its is fully charged for attracting vomvalysts.

2.) when using an Eidolon lure, you can approach a Grineer camp  from a distance and have you operator  jump out and shoot the Eidolon lure in the Grineer camp until it is dead.  Then the vomvalysts that were attracted to that lure will starting moving to yours. I once had eight vomvalysts come my way by doing that. But you only want to do that when you have a good amp that can ghost them in two shots or less.

3.) Excaliber Umbra (you get him from completing 'The Sacrafice'  quest) is probably the best warframe for a Vomvalyst hunt because the warframe will becomes like a Specter assistant when your operation jumps out to attack the vomvalyst.   If you have your operator out all the time and leading the hunt, it will often spot the vomvalysts before you do and show you where they are by shooting at them. If a vomvalyst ghost shoots away somewhere behind you, the umbra will shoot at it and show you where it went.  Also, having another actual specter besides umbra can also increase your sentient core take because the combined shooting will weaken the vomvalysts  faster.

12 minutes ago, uAir said:

Back when I was farming for these things I used range efficiency Nova with loot detection mods.
I could do a loop in about 2-3 minutes and had all of the possible spawn locations of the wisps memorized along my path so I could run it by basically staring at the minimap and only deviate from the course to pick up the wisps.

I tried with Itzal, with other speed frames, etc. Nova ended up being the fastest for me.

I followed a general path going left from the gates to the two lakes. Then I headed north and after 2 lakes I edged to Renthi and then down from there to the big lake and back home to the gates.

At night I'd get maybe 2-3 per run. Rarely would I get 0. And rarely would I get more than 5 or 6.

It's not a bad farm and is actually really peaceful. Just put on a good movie or a tv series on your phone. Maybe an audiobook. Then just follow the path with Nova and collect wisps. 🙂

I remember doing that as well then I got tired of using energy pads for wormholes(my zenurik focus back then was low) so I moved to Nyx with arcane menticide helmet and didn't change to using Itzal until Plague Star appeared and we were killing time in between waiting for the mixer so we'd go hunt wisps and mark them for each other. And I agree it's very relaxing and the Plains is a nice place for a stroll.

Back when I was farming for these things I used range efficiency Nova with loot detection mods.
I could do a loop in about 2-3 minutes and had all of the possible spawn locations of the wisps memorized along my path so I could run it by basically staring at the minimap and only deviate from the course to pick up the wisps.

I tried with Itzal, with other speed frames, etc. Nova ended up being the fastest for me.

I followed a general path going left from the gates to the two lakes. Then I headed north and after 2 lakes I edged to Renthi and then down from there to the big lake and back home to the gates.

At night I'd get maybe 2-3 per run. Rarely would I get 0. And rarely would I get more than 5 or 6.

It's not a bad farm and is actually really peaceful. Just put on a good movie or a tv series on your phone. Maybe an audiobook. Then just follow the path with Nova and collect wisps. 🙂

9 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

They spawn at night. Use a mod like Thief's Wit and you can spot them on the minimap. They are small, hang around for a little bit when you get near them and then they leave so you have to be relatively quick in picking them up.

They also spawn during the day but just at a vastly reduced rate, like half of night. Night is definitely the time to hunt

to tack on here; There is usually only 2-3 that spawn during the daytime, and this is doubled at night to 4-6, if you're just searching for them on free-roam. My tiny guild finds it easier/more reliable to get Cetus wisps off the T4 and T5 bounty stage rewards than actually hunting around, although its nice to occasionally stumble across one on accident.

10 minutes ago, DeckChairVonBananaCamel said:

Loot radar's detection range is not affected by height, allowing you to fly up real high and still search the waters edge for wisps by just watching the minimap!
Another fun fact is that the "above/below" arrows for the loot icons are actually reliant on your archwing's orientation, meaning you can even pinpoint exactly where it is by aiming up and down until the icon's up/down arrow disappears, indicating the loot is level with your crosshairs!

Oh yea I know. All I'm saying is that if you're doing this for the first time you may not really know what you're looking for in the first place so it'd be good to see them up close. Once you get the hang of it you can employ whatever tactic suits you best.

21 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

Good vid Zilchy. Although I found it easier to fly low when I tried it in the beginning as you say they are a bit hard to spot.

Loot radar's detection range is not affected by height, allowing you to fly up real high and still search the waters edge for wisps by just watching the minimap!
Another fun fact is that the "above/below" arrows for the loot icons are actually reliant on your archwing's orientation, meaning you can even pinpoint exactly where it is by aiming up and down until the icon's up/down arrow disappears, indicating the loot is level with your crosshairs!

5 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Thanks. The only reason I don't recommend new players to try flying low is because they often stumble on them without knowing and spook the wisp into disappearing. Being high up sure is harder to spot them hence the scope but they won't run off. Honestly though the biggest tip is using cosmic crush, you get so many more by using that.

True, but you can fly slow, you don't have to speed through it at first. I wouldn't advise that 🙂

9 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

Good vid Zilchy. Although I found it easier to fly low when I tried it in the beginning as you say they are a bit hard to spot.

10 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Quick tutorial video to help you get the hang of it, slowing the process right down to show each step. Equip a frame with loot detector and use Itzal cos half the time I use cosmic crush to vacuum them up. Basically follow this path I take and you will learn which loot icons are regular spawn spots for loot and where an anomaly from this pattern is probably a wisp. You can see I stop when I notice an icon and check if it's a crate/maprico bush etc before moving on if it is. If I can't see an item such as this, it's a wisp. A scoped weapon can really help to spot them until you get used to it. Please excuse me using blink, I made this over a year ago to help clan mates before they nerfed that ability. I also highly recommend buying a resource booster to maximise your efficiency, should get on average 4-5 wisps per run or 8-10 with booster and each run should take around 4 minutes tops. In 1 Cetus night that's around 40-50 wisps with a booster, good luck.

Quick tutorial video to help you get the hang of it, slowing the process right down to show each step. Equip a frame with loot detector and use Itzal cos half the time I use cosmic crush to vacuum them up. Basically follow this path I take and you will learn which loot icons are regular spawn spots for loot and where an anomaly from this pattern is probably a wisp. You can see I stop when I notice an icon and check if it's a crate/maprico bush etc before moving on if it is. If I can't see an item such as this, it's a wisp. A scoped weapon can really help to spot them until you get used to it. Please excuse me using blink, I made this over a year ago to help clan mates before they nerfed that ability. I also highly recommend buying a resource booster to maximise your efficiency, should get on average 4-5 wisps per run or 8-10 with booster and each run should take around 4 minutes tops. In 1 Cetus night that's around 40-50 wisps with a booster, good luck.

By the way I suspect what you're doing wrong is not flying as high above as I do in this video and you're spooking them rather than having time to sit there and look for it through a scope. They vanish within about 3 seconds once they're aware of your presence.

Archived