Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I used to take Nekros to the Grove, but since I got Overextended, I switched to Hydroid, but I don't think Pilfering swarm has ever proced on the guardians. What could be going wrong?

TheArcSet

Question

So, whenever I get a free mod drop booster, I go to SP and empty out all my Nightfall and Sunrise apothetics, for a better chance at rares.

I used to take Nekros, but since I got Overextended, I switched to Hydroid, but I don't think Pilfering swarm has ever proced on the guardians.

What could be going wrong?

Sometimes I do die on SP, and as I'm using dismembering guns, it can take a little while, or sometimes it'll use its ability cancel, but I usually get the swarm back up before it dies and even slam next to it for the passive.

Edit: to clarify, the min squad I take is a Hydroid and Nekros, so each drop should be 2-3+ mods.

Could I be making the range to big , so it slips through the tentacles?
Does it glitch out if you die, or if you don't kill it in the 1st cast's duration?

Any help is appreciated, as wasting the apothetics sucks.

To clarify: the the dismemberment is for Nekros, not Hydroid, but ideally the squad should get 1 certain drop from Sealegs and up to 1 extra drop per chunk from Skellyboi.

The mod drop booster and SP's innate mod drop booster will only effect the %  of the drop being rare.

Sneaky and Stoney won't loot guardians (not sure about Khora, but she shares Hydroid's chance with a <100% anyway), but Hydroid and Nekros have been the standard setup for years, except for briefly when the booster was brought out and the mechanics were temporarily changed.

The issue is that my specific hydroid doesn't seem to be effective.

Thanks  @krc473, I wasn't sure how much the tentacles targeted, as oppose to flailed; as I don't tend to use him anywhere else.

So ideally we'd have 1 Nekros and 3 normal range Hydroids to cover the area and maybe wait until it spawns to cast it, so it's targeted.

Good to know, although it's a real pain to find more than two players, with apothetics, that want to do the Grove.

At least I won't waste the next batch.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Deeceem said:

I'm pretty sure that's correct considering it wasn't ages ago I did this the last time and OP wouldn't have issues otherwise but I'm too lazy to look up the augment's patch notes. I'll find out next time I'll do it, I guess.

Those tentacles rarely kill mobs, definitely not grove specters, and I consistently get the double drops from them when used on the specters. I am 100% sure you are wrong. But don't take my word for it...

G7WLRjY.png

You could argue that it says enemies have to be held, I suppose. But again, I have had success 100% of the time with it just hitting them. Unless it has been holding them all along. Hmm, seems unlikely but possible. It works either way.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb SpicyDinosaur:

You just referred to me as "bratty" but want the conversation to be civil. You've been snarky this entire time. Look, I've stopped caring about this. I'd have to scroll up awhile to remember the details at this point. You aren't worth the trouble, tbh.

Cool. I actually meant to refer to the both of us as bratty and that we both should change our communication style (using the neutral "you") but hey. I'll survive it.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Deeceem said:

I mean, if I still don't get it it might be time to consider that two people are part of a conversation and responsible for the information being communicated properly and not just one instead of staying bratty if you actually care about getting your point across that is of course. Might be that something is getting lost in translation for me too since I'm at least not natively speaking English. Feel free to give it another try or don't. I'm fine with both if we can keep it calm and civil now because unlike a lot of people here I'm actually fine with being wrong, being corrected and learning the proper information.

You just referred to me as "bratty" but want the conversation to be civil. You've been snarky this entire time. Look, I've stopped caring about this. I'd have to scroll up awhile to remember the details at this point. You aren't worth the trouble, tbh.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb SpicyDinosaur:

oh FFS 🥴

I mean, if I still don't get it it might be time to consider that two people are part of a conversation and responsible for the information being communicated properly and not just one instead of staying bratty if you actually care about getting your point across that is of course. Might be that something is getting lost in translation for me too since I'm at least not natively speaking English or I'm simply brainfarting over and over again on this one for some reason. Feel free to give it another try or don't. I'm fine with both. We can keep it calm and civil now because I'm actually fine with being wrong, being corrected and learning the proper information.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Deeceem said:

Ah, then I was indeed incorrect about that respectively misunderstood what you were saying, I guess. Anything else I wrote is still correct and your claim that tentacles cant kill specters is still wrong though. To shortly rephrase: cast a small patch of tentacles and let the specter die from it to be sure it was affected -> get the 100% extra mod. I misrepresented how it functions. The process I described remains the same. My bad. Done. Thanks for pointing it out.

oh FFS 🥴

vor 27 Minuten schrieb SpicyDinosaur:

Okay, one more time. YOU  DON"T HAVE TO KILL THE MOB WITH THE TENTACLES. It was changed ages ago, though the original way it was done was by killing the targets. That is no longer the case. The augment doesn't even say anything about killing, they changed it when they changed the requirement to kill mobs to get the drop. 

If you are killing the target with the tentacles then you are also hitting, if not grabbing them. Christ.

Ah, then I was indeed incorrect about that respectively misunderstood what you were saying, I guess. Anything else I wrote is still correct and your claim that tentacles cant kill specters is still wrong though. To shortly rephrase: cast a small patch of tentacles and let the specter die from it to be sure it was affected -> get the 100% extra mod. I misrepresented how it functions. The process I described remains the same. My bad. Done. Thanks for pointing it out.

29 minutes ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

Those tentacles rarely kill mobs, definitely not grove specters, and I consistently get the double drops from them when used on the specters. I am 100% sure you are wrong. But don't take my word for it...

yeah, they definitely don't need to Kill.
game suggests Enemies have to be suspended by the Tentacles, but since you brought it up you dredged up a distinct memory of when Power Strength was removed from the Ability that it ended up with Enemies either only needing to be within the Radius of the Tentacles or to have been affected by them in some way.

you can tell i use Hydroid often. *whistles*

• Enemies held by Pilfering Swarm tentacles and killed by any sources have a chance to drop additional loot.
  • Works against Ospreys and other flying enemies.
  • Applies to tentacles formed by Hydroid's passive.

Doesn't really solve what DE means by 'held' but most people seem to say, touched/damaged, as it effects fliers.

• When this augment was first introduced, additional loot would only be generated if the enemies were killed by Tentacle Swarm, making this augment less effective at higher levels due to enemy health and armor scaling. Hotfix 17.0.4 changed this to its current effect, in exchange for the additional loot chance no longer being affected by Ability Strength.

For the Hotfix number.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Pilfering_Swarm

1 minute ago, (PS4)Deeceem said:

You clearly didn't otherwise you would have read how I pointed out that being killed by tentacles somehow seems to mark the specter as being held apparently and also how casting a tiny zone of tentacles kills specters easily due to the tentactles being all in one place. Now facepalm at yourself please.

Okay, one more time. YOU  DON"T HAVE TO KILL THE MOB WITH THE TENTACLES. It was changed ages ago, though the original way it was done was by killing the targets. That is no longer the case. The augment doesn't even say anything about killing, they changed it when they changed the requirement to kill mobs to get the drop. 

If you are killing the target with the tentacles then you are also hitting, if not grabbing them. Christ.

vor 8 Minuten schrieb SpicyDinosaur:

Picard Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

I did read your post:

I even quoted it when I responded to you. Not worth the effort to continue this though. I've made my point.

You clearly didn't otherwise you would have read how I pointed out that being killed by tentacles somehow seems to mark the specter as being held (meaning I was well aware of what the augment actually says when I posted my very first response) and also how casting a tiny zone of tentacles kills specters easily due to the tentactles being all in one place. Now facepalm at yourself please.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Deeceem said:

Read my first post you responded to. Jesus...

Picard Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

I did read your post:

48 minutes ago, (PS4)Deeceem said:

It works on grove specters. The tentacles don't have to grab them but they have to kill them for it to work.

I even quoted it when I responded to you. Not worth the effort to continue this though. I've made my point.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb SpicyDinosaur:

G7WLRjY.png

Why are you linking the augment though? I know what it says and described in detail how it works and also how the ability easily kills a specter. Well, maybe OP or anyone tries it and we see what's correct.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb SpicyDinosaur:

This is incorrect. It just has to hit them.

It used to be the case that it had to kill them, but that was changed ages ago.

I'm pretty sure that's correct considering it wasn't ages ago I did this the last time and OP wouldn't have issues otherwise but I'm too lazy to look up the augment's patch notes. I'll find out next time I'll do it, I guess.

It works on grove specters. The tentacles don't have to grab them but they have to kill them for it to work.

Source: I farm them solo as Hydroid every now and then and always get the extra drops or two or three per specter (so, up to 12 in total) when doing it with a Nekros buddy (who also refrains from dealing any damage).

Apparently, at least in their case, getting killed by tentacle damage counts as being held at that moment (inb4 "fix'd"). Be wary of that your companion doesn't kill them by accident. Pretty sure that fs it if I recall correctly. Just cast a small zone for higher/more focused damage and lure the specter inside it. The Loki specter I recall can be a tiny bit annoying with the ability dispell, just recast it and a bit around/inside them.

Cheers.

(Now that I wrote about it... I'll put Petrify and Ore Gaze on a Hydroid loadout and bring a Chesa or whichever the Kubrow was with me next time I'll do it solo...)

20 minutes ago, taiiat said:

l00t Abilities that work while Enemies are alive, don't always work on everything. 

since Pilfering Swarm definitely wouldn't be able to pick up this type of Enemy, there's a fairly good probability that it won't have any effect on Silver Grove Specters. (but i don't have specific memory of this Ability)
if you want to add something to Nekros, try Ivara or Atlas instead.

why are you surprised?

Because it doesn't let you know which mods you got until you finish the mission, I just assumed it was instanced like an end of mission reward (like the old acolyte mods if I'm recalling how they worked correctly) and you couldn't increase it with stuff like loot abilities. Good to know though. I just never checked the wiki. 

10 minutes ago, taiiat said:

l00t Abilities that work while Enemies are alive, don't always work on everything. 

since Pilfering Swarm definitely wouldn't be able to pick up this type of Enemy, there's a fairly good probability that it won't have any effect on Silver Grove Specters. (but i don't have specific memory of this Ability)

why are you surprised?

Thanks for the input, but.

As I said, above, Hydroid is known to work, just not for me, and Ivara and Atlas are known Not to work.

As with all the Grove's Specters, the Knave Specter cannot be pickpocketed via Prowl130xDark Prowl. They are also immune to AtlasIcon272 Atlas' Petrify130xDark Petrify and AshIcon272 Ash's Teleport130xDark Teleport stagger therefore cannot be affected by Mod TT 20pxOre Gaze nor can be made open to finishers.

It seems to probably be a range problem, too much range.

If no-one has another solution them I'll mark as solved soon.

Just now, taiiat said:

since Pilfering Swarm definitely wouldn't be able to pick up this type of Enemy, there's a fairly good probability that it won't have any effect on Silver Grove Specters.

why are you surprised?

I can confirm it works. I believe Hydroid's tentacles just have to "hit" the enemy and the effect will proc even if it can't pick them up. (and it can't)

32 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Hmmmm, very interesting. I am surprised any of the grove specters are lootable at all... and surprised it's been allowed this long? 

why are you surprised?

29 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Hmmmm, very interesting. I am surprised any of the grove specters are lootable at all... and surprised it's been allowed this long? 

it's intentional, they have their own loot tables.

Hydroid has works fine for me. We generally go there with a hydroid/nekros team and consistently get an extra mod. It's still very rare to get a, well, rare mod, though.

Archived