Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nights of Naberus Story question/discussion

(XBOX)TehChubbyDugan

On 2020-10-15 at 7:57 PM, Duality52 said:

I was more surprised over how they spoiler Continuity that early in the game where it played quite a plot point in the War Within.

It's been four years (yes, really), they expect anyone who knows how to do Deimos bounties AND how to decorate their Orbiter, to have already played/spoiled War Within

On 2020-10-16 at 7:03 PM, GrayArchon said:

Continuity doesn't seem to be a two-way street. From what we learn in the War Within, the host mind is destroyed or assimilated when the Orokin takes over their body.

Teshin: "The Queen doesn't want to kill you. She wants to become you. To burrow through your mind, corrupting it with despair, until only she remains.

That's what we know from Continuity based on Red Kuva. It's entirely possible that Blue Kuva Continuity works differently. We dont really know either way. If Blue Kuva is meant for a temporary transfer as Grandma's story suggests, then to me that implies that the consciousnesses are swapped between bodies.

But I could be wrong and there's nothing in the story to indicate where the Ostron consciousnesses ended up. The story just says that the Orokin bodies were 'sleeping', but is more likely some form of coma or catatonia, but I digress. The point is the Orokin bodies were unaware of what was going on, so there's no indications the Ostrons were in them. In the absence of other evidence, I suppose we must rely on what we already know about Continuity and assume the Ostrons were still in their bodies, but suppressed (and eventually overridden) by the Orokin who possessed them.

It doesnt invalidate the theory, however. We simply do not have enough information to discern either way.

8 hours ago, lowgrav said:

so for the war within kuva question

Hide contents

what kuva was on the broken septer as some of the comunity drank that stuff so what type was that and what did that do

We do not know for sure, because until this event introduced "Blue Kuva" and "Crimson Kuva" we just called the stuff "kuva". It's possible that the War Within kuva (and subsequently the stuff we get from Kuva Siphons) is some yet-unnamed third variant, but we can't be certain.

Don't worry about the fact that some players drank it and some didn't: it'll never have an effect on the story. DE would have to write in branching storylines based on your War Within choices, which would only add unnecessary complexity to this already complicated and disjointed story. It's another thing they tried and abandoned. It means nothing.

On 2020-10-16 at 4:42 AM, Sintag said:

Well, let's see...

Of the surviving Orokin, we have the following (SPOILERS FOR A LOT OF MAJOR QUESTLINES):

Hide contents

Sylvana:  Assimilated into, and protects, a forest.  We're on her side, common enemy in the Grineer and whatnot.  More or less content to stay out of our way otherwise.

We know that Archimedean Perintol was most likely not immortal Orokin but of the same class as those who became the Corpus, it's possible that Sylvana was of the same class. A technical functionary for the empire but not Orokin is the context of Kuva and continunity.

In the context of The Naberus Orokin, it's possible that Orokin locked in unsuitable bodies lose their access to the Tech/Resources needed for further continuity. We are told in the Guardsmen Synthesis that all Orokin systems are DNA locked such that when the Executors were all gone the majority of the Empire systems were unusable. I'd imagine that official Orokin continuity prepares for this by registering the new body, but in the Naberus context they were, functionally, no longer Orokin.

5 hours ago, SilentMobius said:

We know that Archimedean Perintol was most likely not immortal Orokin but of the same class as those who became the Corpus, it's possible that Sylvana was of the same class. A technical functionary for the empire but not Orokin is the context of Kuva and continunity.

Yes, I think this touches on the question of "what is an Orokin?" Clearly everyone was under the rule of the Orokin Empire, but "Orokin" as we most often use the term probably just refers to the ruling elite class. The immortal, the godlike. I don't think Archimedians were in that class.

3 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

Yes, I think this touches on the question of "what is an Orokin?" Clearly everyone was under the rule of the Orokin Empire, but "Orokin" as we most often use the term probably just refers to the ruling elite class. The immortal, the godlike. I don't think Archimedians were in that class.

Indeed, I think it especially telling that in the Arid Eviscerator Synthesis, Avantus and Bilsa both considered it obvious that only the two of them needed to survive out of a whole Orokin Tower. Also interesting is that in "Sands of Inaros" the detail we have is of Inaros taking a single child at a time, from the Entire Mars colony, which suggests a low volume of Yuvan. That said, It would be really useful to know for sure.

My wild speculation is that Grandmother *is* the little girl in the story, which might explain why she is a few degrees more benevolent than what we are used too from the Orokin. The fact that her children grew up on a story warning against Orokin cruelty is already a bit odd for a society that believes themselves superior to everything else, but starts to make sense if the person telling it is a result of their cruelty. 

I imagine that Crimson Kuva is different from the Kuva we are familiar with. The Kuva the Grineer are using visually looks like dried blood, predominately black with highlights of red mixed in. I theorize that Red Kuva doesn't offer actual immortality, but rather extends the users unnatural lifespan by so long that the Orokin assumed they achieved immortality, their society crumbling before any of them could die "naturally". Crimson Kuva then is a much more concentrated version of Red Kuva, possibly Kuva in its' natural form before it was diluted and used to extend the Orokin lifespan. 

It would seem that Crimson Kuva is not very well known of, even among Orokin Society. Grandmother tells us that the little girl would be glassed for even knowing about it, and it seems like the three Orokin had the Crimson Kuva secretly locked away in an Ivory case. The Orokin in the story Grandmother is telling considered them to be the "Elite of the Elite", which may simply mean that they believe themselves to be of higher standing as the Orokin than other species in the solar system, but I think actually indicates they are of a higher standing even in Orokin society itself, which might explain why they have access to Crimson Kuva to begin with. If their family is responsible for the creation of Kuva it would make sense why they have Crimson Kuva on hand. 

The child in the story is some kind of slave or servant to these three Orokin, possibly Orokin herself although I don't know how common it was for the Orokin to keep Orokin slaves. If the little girl is indeed the narrator of the story, she would either would have had to have been Orokin or otherwise used Kuva herself to claim an Orokin body, which we know is something that can be done given the Ordan Karris plot. Regardless or her exact origins, it seems she was able to spy on her Orokin masters from her hiding spot behind the curtain, which is likely how she learned about the Crimson Kuva to begin with. While her masters were out playing Halloween in their body costumes she saw an opportunity to free herself by feeding them Crimson Kuva, locking them into their new forms permanently. Grandmother makes a point to tell us that their monster bodies aren't terribly great at communication, talking in whispers and clicks, so the other Orokin may not have even known who these Orokin were or what to do with them. Assuming the Crimson Kuva isn't anything new or unique, they may not have presumed these monsters to be Orokin citizens, and therefore would not have given them Kuva and get them in a new Orokin body. Perhaps Grandmother even stole their old bodies and assumed their identity. 

It's fun to theorize, anyway. 

Archived