Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Nyx suggestions from a Nyx main

(PSN)Etheral_Synergy

Edit 23/02:  Changes to mind control (based on feedback and my own thoughts) and absorb (based on feedback)

Intro

Yes Nyx is my most played frame. It's been so long of her being pointed out as a "well actually" as a useless frame when anyone in chat says "well every frame has a purpose" to the question who's the best frame. She has her uses and thats not what I'm here to argue against, just trying to make her kit more functional and engaging so that these uses are more built in.

This thread may look like alot but I promise you this kit is so minimally different from her current state and all augments would still be functional, its all just tweaks really.

Her jobs/themes and how she can or cant do them

so just to state that purpose or atleast how It would seem to be how she's been designed so that can be kept in mind. Her specialty is agro, cc, and using the enemy as a weapon against themselves.

agro control (considering it as a unique subclass to CC that few frames have), shes alright at, not great though. Mind control can draw alot of fire, threat levels on chaos are a bit funky and she doesnt benefit from agro in any meaningful way kit wise other than avoiding death.

CC, pretty good again. Chaos keeps enemies occupied amongst themselves and away from other things though falters when it comes to drawing fire off objectives, absorb can make up for that slack but is disengaging to use unless assimilate is on your build.

using enemies against themselves, eh. mind control can work but AI is a big downfall to its effect, you're basically forced to go with melee units because any other unit will switch between melee and firing with really long pauses between, god forbid if they have other abilities like heavy gunner slam too. Chaos doesnt allow much damage to be even be notable which is useful as to keep enemies occupied, but psychic bolts defence strip should theoretically allow chaosed enemies to do more significant damage.... but has finite targets that reset on a new cast and group targeting is picky in who it actually wants to home to.

The engagment issue

Nyx needs more feedback and for her playstyle to feel more involved. 2 abilities are watching other enemies do things, 1 is a homing projectile, and the final one unaugmented is sitting stationary and if you want it to be effective, sitting stationary for a reeeeeally long time to build damage and praying that saryn in the squad doesnt find the zorb praising hoard of grineer you're waiting to pop.

The power strength conundrum

there is absolutely no reason to ever put over 125% strength on nyx. at 125% psychic bolt defence strip caps at 100% and beyond this only affects infested move speed dubuff on bolts, aswell as this it minorly improves the damage conversion on a fleeting and hard to utilise damage buff and the damage per second but not damage taken to damage dealt conversion on absorb. This slaughters build diversity and her power in general because you can't actually strengthen her as the per second is vastly outdone at alot of levels by actual enemy damage. 

anyway, now all that's out the way, onto the suggestions.

The suggestions

Passive

Passive is fine, she can be a soft frame and this keeps that bit of heat of her when threat levels go dodgy and decide not to work.

Mind Control

expanded change posted before here: 

add an enemy speed multiplier stat to mind control and have it scale with strength. This adds more though on if you want strength on your build and fixes alot of AI jank issues by making the awkward pauses between melee/shooting/ability use shorter and helps push damage along too. 

EDIT 23/02: make enemy utilities scale with damage absorbed/flat increase when under mind control. Where this ability could excell yet is currently missing out is the controlling of enemy utility units like shield drones, eximus units, and ancients. In it's current states these units don't do massive amounts to benefit the player, having the effects of these units influence more enemies or have a greater strength would help this ability alot. Support units like disruptor drones also serve no purpose when mind controlled, I just feel broadening the effects mc units can have on tenno and enemies would do wonders. 

Add stagger resistance to mind control targets. they already struggle with the AI itself, adding stagger into the mix really kills any hope of them having use as a damage source.

Add stronger agro draw/potential charm to mind control, allowing it to act in simialar nature to octavia's resonator. Seems fair enough if you consider Nyx is the agro focused frame and yet octavias one ability could be argued to be as effective as Nyx's entire kit at managing agro atleast in it's current state.

Psychic bolts

add a manual fire mode with scaling projectile count. tap to fire a burst of darts at the crosshair with affecting enemies in a ~1m base radius of impact to help with aiming without making it a 50 energy hoard strip. hold to fire darts how they are now with full homing. Helps you hit the targets you want more and allows for more mass armour stripping in your chaosed groups or in any group. scale projectile number in aimed/homing burst with power strength, nothing ridiculous maybe +4 at max strength. Adds engagement and makes you feel in control as well as making strength an actual factor while not being ridiculous, just enough to go "huh do i want augur secrets on my build for that extra projectile".

Remove new casts deleting effects of old casts. This would significantly help Nyx set up herself, her allies, and her enemies, to deal damage by having more defence stripping capabilities on larger groups. This wouldnt make her too powerful, with the ability still being relatively finite in range and target number someone deserved the pay off if they went and cast it that many times instead of just playing a xaku, banshee, frost or any other frame with actual mass armour strip.

Chaos

Make the cast crosshair centered up to a certain range rather than player centered. This could perhaps be adapted into another press hold situation in a similar light to titanias spell bind having a cast on self rather than aiming at your feet. But nyx being squishy and having no movement while invulnerable in her 4 without augments can make going for a chaos cast dangerous. The range on this ability is generous when over extended but on larger tiles and open worlds you need to jump into large open sight lines in large groups to cast it on the majority of enemies. Aswell as this while enemies are briefly stunned due to the funkiness of threat levels Nyx is going to get targetted by half those enemies and turned to swiss cheese anyway unless you run for the hills. having a ranged cast just makes the ability feel safer and will keep enemies busier with themselves.

It should be noted no defence reduction was added innate here which I feel some people may criticise. You have psychic bolts if you want enemies to wittle eachother down more significantly. An evenue of fully armoured targets shooting eachother is still a cc asset as they can keep eachother busy for longer. having both these options is important so she can utilise either CC or enemy damage depending on the scenario.

Absorb

As it stands perhaps the worst ultimate in the game. Cool in concept but in reality when I dont have the augment on 10% of my casts are to divert agro, the other 90% are to go to the toilet in public lobbies while making sure I dont die. 

Remove the energy consumption on damage taken, if equinox can channel with no extra cost her ability intended to nuke then why does nyx need extra cost on her agro diversion ability with a side of damage dealing. Even if this means removing team damage to absorb if thats what DE is afraid of. So long as there is adequate substitute you don't need team damage and espcially if it means you can hold this ability for longer than 5 seconds on steel path.

Make all mind controlled and chaosed enemies target absorb. Chaos and mind control are uninvolved with Nyx in her play as it stands, by making all enemies currently under Nyx's spell focus absorb you make these abilities feel worthwhile to cast. The inclusion of mind control is important here as it gives you an invincible last bastion for getting the ability off if that pesky team mate starts eye balling the zorb hoard. This will help absorb become an effective ability for damage and agro draw. It allows a quick emergency agro draw say if a defence objective is in peril, you can chaos the center of the map and pop absorb to completely redirect fire. The guaranteed damage will also reduce the time necessary that you need to stay in absorb solving the necessity of her augment in her current state, rather than sitting bored you'd be watching the pay off of your setup and more actively anticipating the charge at which you want to pop.

Add a blast range preview. fun fact, absorbs explosion radius scales with damage taken, yet there is no way to view this calculation in stats let alone estimate it live. This can make absorb feel lack luster as you feel you've got enough to wipe out the modest area you're aiming for then hit no one. Having a faint ring around absorb that shows a preview of the last size would just make the ability feel so much usable.

Improve range scaling on absorbs blast. The edges of the blast zone on absorb deal pathetic damage. Scaling damage depending on range from absorb is a fair mechanic however in its current state nerfs the blast way too much.

EDIT 23/02: I was very stingey with movement options during absorb in the comments and looking back it seemed somewhat unjust. Assimilates purpose as an augment is to convert the ability from a damage dealer into personal protection. as such having slow movement during absorb really wouldnt step on this territory. Movement at the pace of hydroids undertow would certainly be appreciated, just to cut around bits of cover you might not have thought about before casting to get better sight lines from enemies.

Assimilate augment

Let me jump, even if only lil jump. Not bullet jump, not wall dashing, just a jump. I've genuinely had to put natural talent on my Nyx warcry assimilate melee tank build so I can cast the finale of absorb faster when I need to get up a small lip in terain. I beg you, girl just wanna jump.

39 minutes ago, (PSN)Etheral_Synergy said:

Passive is fine, she can be a soft frame and this keeps that bit of heat of her when threat levels go dodgy and decide not to work.

I disagree, i feel something should atleast trigger it. Its hard to enjoy it

add an enemy speed multiplier stat to mind control and have it scale with strength. This adds more though on if you want strength on your build and fixes alot of AI jank issues by making the awkward pauses between melee/shooting/ability use shorter and helps push damage along too. 

Good point but may i add on to this? I still dont feel like its good enough to be a fun ability

Allow her to mind control up to 3 targets, and make them trade 100% aggro with nearby players 

Think of it as a mobile shield or form of invisibility. Enemies suffer a loss of focus on their objective (you) to get revenge on the betrayl of their ally.

Psychic bolts

Sounds good sounds good, especially considering the fact that you have to manually select enemies

Chaos

I applaud this

Absorb

As it stands perhaps the worst ultimate in the game. Cool in concept but in reality when I dont have the augment on 10% of my casts are to divert agro, the other 90% are to go to the toilet in public lobbies while making sure I dont die. 

I couldnt agree more, plus 3 of her other abilities make the damage scaling on this ability pointless. Scales by recieving damage when all 3 abilities work on keeping you from it like wa??

Also It mainly feels like your a turtle that just hid in its shell :crylaugh: like youre just waiting to be saved or your inevitable end when that shell finally breaks 5 years later

Absorb

Your changes to absorb.... are you a genius???

Dude this, i love it! Everything makes so much sense and it keeps kit intact so well, it literally feels like this was the missing half to Nyx on her release date or something like, were you her creator & where have you been???

If i had to add, id make her mobile in her 4. Float around atleast, and make that cause enemies to chase her for added crowd control and to play into her theme a little more of controlling peoples minds.

Haha but yea, nice 1! Let me know what you think about the suggestions i made! Well done :satisfied:

9 minutes ago, Zeddypanda said:

The change I'd like to see to Mind Control is letting you give your target your sidearm, similar to rescue hostages.

But what if the enemy doesnt die at the end of the mind control duration and decides to use that kuva nukor on you and your squad?

I mean imagine it. The little guy that usually sits on kuva gaurdians, chasing down your teammates with a fully modded catchmoon or nukor

I can hear the screams of horror now

Uno reverse card is not to be underestimated

34 minutes ago, Zeddypanda said:

The change I'd like to see to Mind Control is letting you give your target your sidearm, similar to rescue hostages.

... And then, when its over, shoots you in the face with it.... Oh my, those 10k dmg to the face sound really nice... :P

... And~ before you think about the same happening to me, consider this -> Excal main, abhors other Warframes and plays Solo... No risk of eating with my own 20k dmg to the face...

Hey Guys thanks for the quick feedback hehe.

23 minutes ago, (PSN)IIFrost_GhostII said:

I disagree, i feel something should atleast trigger it. Its hard to enjoy it

So this was for the passive. I was cautious to ask for change here because while newer frames can tend to have flashier passives I dont think theres too much of a need for it on every frame. It can just be a neat bonus but I do also appreciate how something bigger here could help her along. Feel like if it was an activated thing it'd have to be something different. The passive has to be cut off for absorb and I feel it might be weird to trigger a passive to have to turn it off.

18 minutes ago, (PSN)IIFrost_GhostII said:

Good point but may i add on to this? I still dont feel like its good enough to be a fun ability

Allow her to mind control up to 3 targets, and make them trade 100% aggro with nearby players 

Think of it as a mobile shield or form of invisibility. Enemies suffer a loss of focus on their objective (you) to get revenge on the betrayl of their ally.

I had thought alot on more mind control targets but i thought it might end up stepping on chaos's terf a bit too much. But as for agro draw the mindcontrol targets could defo do with higher threat level on them, but I'd be cautious of jacking it so high theres no threat especially as they are invulnerable, have a long duration, and are a 25 energy cast.

29 minutes ago, (PSN)IIFrost_GhostII said:

If i had to add, id make her mobile in her 4. Float around atleast, and make that cause enemies to chase her for added crowd control and to play into her theme a little more of controlling peoples minds.

Yeah some tweaks mobility wise would be alright. I was just trying to work within the confines of ensuring all augments were still functional and relevant as they are. because it does make her invulnerable giving her too much freedom during it is always a risk, even melee stance spamming around with assimilate feels dirty. but guiltily enjoyable lol.

27 minutes ago, Zeddypanda said:

While I see the appeal I feel at that point it could be a bit much. Just because the mind control target is invulnerable. A hostage might need that fire power incase they get in a tight spot so they can get out but the mind controls whole point is to get itself in a tough spot for you. Though yeah, as with the next point someone made, some frames have that. So guess It's possibility. Though if we were going so far down the extra power road I'd say just make elemental damage to mind control in its absorb stage imbue its attacks with that element so it wasnt grineer throwing just impact at eachother.

7 minutes ago, (PSN)FK2P said:

The problem with Nyx is the wukong clone exists.

Yep. But no. Wukong is defintely more relevant in the games current climate though. Nyx is just kind of a relic of the past and while it'll be hard to get her relevant unless raids come back we can at the very least try to make her viable and enjoyable to play for more people.

25 minutes ago, Zeddypanda said:

First of all, that'd be hilarious.

Second of all, the target would obviously drop the gun when mind control wears off.

I dunno man, i mean if someone gave me an op secondary and has been kicking my but all game, id def hold on to that weapon when mind control wears off. Its my turn now, Nukor go brrr

1 hour ago, (PSN)Etheral_Synergy said:

While I see the appeal I feel at that point it could be a bit much. Just because the mind control target is invulnerable.

I'd be fine giving that aspect up. The timer for pumping firepower could be turned into a timer for pumping health instead, similar to Snow Globe and Iron Skin.

When it comes to Nyx`s concept, their is not much you can do with with mind control so I think she should not only have the mind control theme but psychokinesis also which makes sense due to her 2 and her 4. As for her 1, her 3 already does that, I say her 1 needs to combine with her 3 giving her a new 1st ability making this a rework.

Here is what I would do to Nyx:

Spoiler

Passive New: If Nyx`s health is below 50%, enemies attacking her will be put to sleep.

·       There is a 3 second window for enemies to be affected.

·       After the 3 second window is up it won`t activate again unless Nyx`s health is full.

·       Enemies will be put to sleep for 3 seconds.

·       There is no range limit on enemies put to sleep.

1st ability REWORK:

Nyx sends out a telekinetic wave that levitates enemies in the air. Deactivating the ability will turn them in to a projectile shooting them across the room.

·       Enemies will be levitated for 15 seconds.

·       The wave range is 15m and is sent out as a cone.

·       Enemies affected and hit will receive a decreased damage output by 70% for 12 seconds.

·       You can aim the lifted enemies in the direction of where the radicle is.

·       The duration of enemy de-buff can be increased by duration mods.

·       It can be cast in the air.

·       Depending on the chosen energy colour, there will be an aura around the affected enemies.

2nd ability:

·       Make it de-buff all eximus units.

·       Pressing the ability will deal 500 damage to enemies while holding the ability will strip enemies’ defences.

·       This ability has a combo window. The more it`s used the more damage it does, the less energy it takes. (ability press)

3rd ability:

·       Nyx has the option to cycle through three different commands. Enemies affected can either fight against each other, run away in fear or fall to the ground brain dead.

·       You can change enemies` behave while the ability is active.

·       If Nyx is shooting an enemy while they are in the animation state, the enemy will accumulate the damage you deal to it and will convert to extra damage, increase its movement speed by 20% and will fight for you.

·       Enemy stun and invulnerable window when shooting at a enemy last for 3 seconds.

·       The controlled enemy can hack alarms off for you if near one and if there are traps around (electric trap, magnetic door barrier) it can disarm them.

·       You can make it either stay in one spot or follow you by interacting with it.

·       FIX: In interception, enemies will still hack the terminal while under the effects of it and even if enemies are near them.

4th ability:

·       Make her move at the same speed as jogging. (while in her meditate stance)

·       It pulls aggro from enemies.

·       If cast in the air she will be stationary and have a 30% chance for enemies to be hermitized into slowly moving closer to Nyx in a 50m radius. If allies or companions get within 20m of the enemy, it will break the hermeticism making the enemies attack them.

·       You can use weapons while inside it. 30% of the weapon`s damage will be converted into status damage from the weapon Nyx is using to the absorption damage.

·       Whatever enemy is shooting at nyx will be affected by the explosion no matter the distance. Enemies in close damage range will take damage and enemies outside that will receive a knockdown and the status affects from whatever weapons you`re using.

·       Remove the ability for allies to be able to shoot it.

·       It won`t drain energy unless Nyx is being attacked.

·       (Synergy) If you aim your radical at an enemy and use the 1st ability, Nyx will propel herself forward to the enemy in a 15m radius. This will also deactivate the ability.

·       (Synergy) You can cast other abilities while using 4th ability and will cost half the energy.

·       (Synergy) If you use the 2nd ability, when deactivating the 4th ability, the de-buff will spread to enemies the survive the blast.

2 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

When it comes to Nyx`s concept, their is not much you can do with with mind control so I think she not only he theme is mind control but psychokinesis also which makes sense due to her 2 and her 4. As for her 1, her 3 already does that, I say her 1 needs to combine with her 3 giving her a new 1st ability making this a rework.

Here is what I would do to Nyx:

Hide contents

Passive New: If Nyx`s health is below 50%, enemies attacking her will be put to sleep.

·       There is a 3 second window for enemies to be affected.

·       After the 3 second window is up it won`t activate again unless Nyx`s health is full.

·       Enemies will be put to sleep for 3 seconds.

·       There is no range limit on enemies put to sleep.

1st ability REWORK:

Nyx sends out a telekinetic wave that levitates enemies in the air. Deactivating the ability will turn them in to a projectile shooting them across the room.

·       Enemies will be levitated for 15 seconds.

·       The wave range is 15m and is sent out as a cone.

·       Enemies affected and hit will receive a decreased damage output by 70% for 12 seconds.

·       You can aim the lifted enemies in the direction of where the radicle is.

·       The duration of enemy de-buff can be increased by duration mods.

·       It can be cast in the air.

·       Depending on the chosen energy colour, there will be an aura around the affected enemies.

·       Since it’s all about controlling the enemy It should do more than just fight for you. The controlled enemy can hack alarms off for you and if there are traps around (electric trap, magnetic door barrier) it should be able to disarm them. (or add it to the 3rd ability)

·       Make it to where you can either make it stay in one spot or follow you. For it to stay you have to go over to it and interact with it but if you want it to follow you, you have to hold the ability to do so.

·       Shooting at it should also increase its movement speed.

·       (augment) deactivating the ability will kill the enemy which will spread to other enemies in close range, attacking each other for half the duration.

2nd ability:

·       Make it de-buff all eximus units.

·       Pressing the ability will deal 500 damage to enemies while holding the ability will strip enemies’ defences.

·       This ability has a combo window. The more it`s used the more damage it does, the less energy it takes. (ability press)

3rd ability:

·       Nyx has the option to cycle through three different commands. Enemies affected can either fight against each other, run away in fear or fall to the ground brain dead.

·       You can change enemies` behave while the ability is active.

·       If Nyx is shooting an enemy while they are in the animation state, the enemy will accumulate the damage you deal to it and will convert to extra damage, increase its movement speed by 20% and will fight for you.

·       Enemy stun and invulnerable window when shooting at a enemy last for 3 seconds.

·       The controlled enemy can hack alarms off for you if near one and if there are traps around (electric trap, magnetic door barrier) it can disarm them.

·       You can make it either stay in one spot or follow you by interacting with it.

·       FIX: In interception, enemies will still hack the terminal while under the effects of it and even if enemies are near them.

4th ability:

·       Make her move at the same speed as jogging. (while in her meditate stance)

·       It pulls aggro from enemies.

·       If cast in the air she will be stationary and have a 30% chance for enemies to be hermitized into slowly moving closer to Nyx in a 50m radius. If allies or companions get within 20m of the enemy, it will break the hermeticism making the enemies attack them.

·       You can use weapons while inside it. 30% of the weapon`s damage will be converted into status damage from the weapon Nyx is using to the absorption damage.

·       Whatever enemy is shooting at nyx will be affected by the explosion no matter the distance. Enemies in close damage range will take damage and enemies outside that will receive a knockdown and the status affects from whatever weapons you`re using.

·       Remove the ability for allies to be able to shoot it.

·       It won`t drain energy unless Nyx is being attacked.

·       (Synergy) If you aim your radical at an enemy and use the 1st ability, Nyx will propel herself forward to the enemy in a 15m radius. This will also deactivate the ability.

·       (Synergy) You can cast other abilities while using 4th ability and will cost half the energy.

·       (Synergy) If you use the 2nd ability, when deactivating the 4th ability, the de-buff will spread to enemies the survive the blast.

Yeah I get where you're coming from and a full blown rework could be great. Just with my suggestions thought I'd keep them in the realm of her current kit for ease of implementation aswell as this her current kit can still be very capable if it was tweaked. As for your suggestions:

Passive

Spoiler

neat but isnt that just revenant, if you wanted a defensive ability like this I'd personally make it as a invuln period with damage mirroring at maybe 10% or 5% health as an emergency escape tool. Nyx can make mind control targets invuln and herself in her 4, makes sense she could utilise these psychic barriers in a pinch. 

1st ability

Spoiler

very thematically accurate, would be a fun ability. But feel it may end up being just as gimmicky as her current 1st can be where you just do it for the novelty. The decreased damage output is nice, until you want to use her 3 or absorb at which point you either need to make the debuff deactivate or make a damage debuff that only applies to tenno but not tenno in absorb and doesn't while still keeping that base damage there so fighting others enemies, it would be a coding nightmare and similar effects would be achived by defence strip from her 2 with some way of creating damage protection, maybe as an iron skin esque effect on all allies in radius after her 4 rather than weapon damage buff.

a few suggestions there seem disjointed, might be typoed over from chaos? I'm not sure. If theyre proposed changed for mind control: Mind control targets can hack of alarms, it's just unsightly levels of rare, adding more priority to that would be great, interacting with maps defences would also be just a neat little add but I'd be careful of these tasks consuming alot of time on the abilities duration when you'd rather have them killing. Commanding mind control targets would be a big plus.

2nd ability

Spoiler

Yeah the old nyx with damaging bolts was fun but I'd be highly cautious of adding it back with a multiplier otherwise you're going to make it her only desired attribute where its just oh Nyx is the frame where you spam 2 and everything dies. de buffing eximus units is a good idea again, I beleive in it's current form it does remove alot of positive bonuses that eximus buff their allies with and if not chaos does by making them no longer friendly to them. Doesn't really solve the iffy homing on the ability to have it still only home on both cast variants.

3rd ability

Spoiler

Different modes is a fun idea but you'd have no reason not to cast braindead everytime because the default chaos really just keeps enemies clustered so long as there is one other enemy around them due to the agro they draw and having to choose between that or just hitting the pause button on enemies is an obvious choice. the Nekros terrify isn't great as the only reason you ever cast it on nekros is for defence reduction because its horrible CC, it doesn't control crowds it makes them, irratic, unpredictable and makes it a lengthier process to take them down. making mind control part of the 3 is alright but it feels like a strange way to activate it and charge it in this context. you can barely charge one enemy effectively when you cast her one let alone if you're doing it to a whole crowd and wanting to catch as many as you can, without a synergy to do this it would make running anything other than pole arms and explosives a dumb choice otherwise you arent going to have high damage charging on a high number of targets. 

4th ability

Spoiler

Having full movement, ability casts, and weapons in absorb is a very powerful thing as you become a completely invulnerable but still almost fully capable warframe. As I said before, absorb needs to be more engaging but too much freedom during absorb is a risk, assimilate currently coverts the ability into a more mobile but significantly less damaging ability transforming it into a personal shield rather than a damage ability if you can even call default absorb that in it's current state, it's a fair augment that actually transforms an abilities use. The default absorb just needs to be more engaging, it doesn't need to just be assimilate, some movement may do it favours but weapons and abilities during the cast is harder to decide on.

The ability currently does draw agro and is rather good and i think is fine for a non synergetic state, unless you mean 100% agro without synergy which would make Nyx essential to any steel path endurance squad cause you could just have nyx constantly active drawing all agro. combined with unrestricted ability use you could helminth greedy pull on with arcane energise and sustain it forever. Still theoretically possible with my idea of guaranteed targeting from chaosed enemies however to make it actually afk and uninvolved you would require assimilate and greedy pull and chaos sphere to keep that fully sustained and if you've thrown away that much mod real estate it could be justified to have that power.

Can see the idea behind drawing enemies in, just feel agro draw already does this as enemies naturally walk towards their target and the conclave augment can help a bit with that, if anything this change should just be a scalable range buff for that augment. but certainly wouldn't complain if it made enemies have more priority on moving closer.

Having enemies that attack the orb get knocked down no matter range is a good idea, guarantees keeps heat of Nyx after she exits the invuln and as the knockdown is a quick animation is not too powerful by any means.

synergies are fair, nice little movement boost a la hydroid undertow + tidal surge would be quite useful. casting abilities during absorb may be a possible avenue to make it more engaging but again I'd be careful with it, it would be better being able to defence strip enemies ready for the big cast though I would not discount energy especially if you take into account her 2 changes as you may just use absorb as a quick energy save to spam your homing damage 2nd to kill everything instead of using absorb itself.

And as for the 2 and 4 synergy on its own I feel it really risks again just shoe horning Nyx into a singular spot of relevance. slap every range mod on your Nyx, channel absorb for 1 second, activate 2 and 4 synergy, defence strip entire map. If there were to be defence strip on her 4 I'd have it build up over time or over damage absorbed and force some actual build up behind it rather than being able to spam it.

These changes don't do masses to change her current standing apart from some gimmicks however there's defintely valuable take aways in here about chaos and mind control/chaos A.I.'s alternate uses that I didnt consider.

18 hours ago, (PSN)FK2P said:

I watch the AI in the game with nyx, most of the time the enemy gets stuck staggering from gunfire and barely gets a shot off.

Just went and tested this cause I never noticed this too much cause I kinda fire and forget mind control alot, and yeah actually for a supposedly invulnerable target they stagger ALOT. Definitely something that should be looked at.

On 2021-02-12 at 12:39 PM, (PSN)Etheral_Synergy said:

Assimilate augment

Let me jump, even if only lil jump. Not bullet jump, not wall dashing, just a jump. I've genuinely had to put natural talent on my Nyx warcry assimilate melee tank build so I can cast the finale of absorb faster when I need to get up a small lip in terain. I beg you, girl just wanna jump.

Just a personal tip: Use your operator to traverse terrain that require jumping and/or parkour.

Not disagreeing with your proposed change, just giving you something that works now without having to keep turning the ability on and off.

59 minutes ago, Mattoropael said:

Just a personal tip: Use your operator to traverse terrain that require jumping and/or parkour.

Not disagreeing with your proposed change, just giving you something that works now without having to keep turning the ability on and off.

I honestly have no idea how I was aware you could operator in absorb but this didnt click, I'm truly dumb lol. thank you.

On 2021-02-12 at 3:39 PM, (PSN)Etheral_Synergy said:

-snip-

Passive

• No this is way better than revs, the point of this is for her to give her window room to either escape or to open them up to be killed.

1st

• This ability is just ccs enemies and then you have a choice to either shoot them down or used them as a weapon so theirs's no gimmick.
  • You do have a point here however it only last for 12 seconds but I will say they get the de-buff when the levitate duration runs out or after you shoot them if they don`t die from it.
  • My bad the last parts were old ideas I had, this was copied and pasted from something I had written ages ago but I'm scrapping that ideas coz her 1st has not reason to be an ability on its own when the 3rd ability exists.

2nd

• I don`t see and issue with this due to you having to spam the ability in order for it to do more damage besides this won`t make a difference in high-level missions, that`s what the striping defences part is for. The damage is for low-levels and the defences strip is for high-levels, as of not the ability is useless in low-level missions.
  • Believe it or not this ability is meant to slow infested down but it`s so bad you don`t even notice it.
  • I don`t have an issue this the homing part but i`m not against it, if you could pick your targets that would help.

3rd

• You do have a point here maybe the "brain dead" part, maybe it could have a duration of 5 seconds that can be increased by duration mods?
  • I see how you think enemies running away par it a bad thing but you`re forgetting that you can change enemies behaviour when you switch/rotate abilities plus this would be very good in situations like defence or interception. 
  • Let me explain how the 1 and 3 combination works, you press 3 then the enemy you shoot at will become vulnerable for the duration of the animation then all that damage is split up to the other enemies affected by her 3. So not only they will be a distraction but they can also kill each other however the damage does not effect NPCs of allies just the enemies.

4th

• Yes it is 100% agro until and ally or an NPC is in close proximity of them.
  • You do have a point about the 2 and 4 synergy, maybe it could only last for 5 seconds or like you suggested for it to happen overtime.

What these changes does to Nyx;

•  The passive gives her breathing room to escape.
  • Her 1 is a cc that can be used as a projectile and de-buff enemies plus it fits her theme of psychokinesis.
  • Her 2 have a use in low and high-level mission.
  • Here 3 gives more control of how the enemies behave due to the theme of mind-control.
  • Her 4th is just much better to use. 

Just editied the main post:

From my own considerations, added a few details to mind control around the influence of enemy auras and support when under the effect of mind control, calling for the addition of effects on currently useless support units and auras (ideas for specific effects welcome). 

On 2021-02-13 at 9:25 PM, (PSN)FK2P said:

I watch the AI in the game with nyx, most of the time the enemy gets stuck staggering from gunfire and barely gets a shot off.

Added stagger resistance to the mind control notes.

On 2021-02-12 at 5:09 AM, (PSN)IIFrost_GhostII said:

Added increased agro draw to mind control notes, targets to improve natural synergy with her 4 by creating groups of enemies ready to damage charge the ability.

On 2021-02-12 at 5:09 AM, (PSN)IIFrost_GhostII said:

If i had to add, id make her mobile in her 4. Float around atleast, and make that cause enemies to chase her for added crowd control and to play into her theme a little more of controlling peoples minds

Added some mobility to her 4. Quite limited (undertow speed) but should do enough to effectively follow sortie defence targets, reposition to better enemy sightlines and approach enemies that are out of range, and gradually lead crowds away in rare situations that may demand it.

On 2021-02-11 at 11:39 PM, (PSN)Etheral_Synergy said:

I just feel broadening the effects mc units can have on tenno and enemies would do wonders

Well theres an idea, what if mind controlled targets provided an addition aura or buff? 

A buff could be increased duration to your abilities with more energy efficency or something

An aura, maybe it could be an augment that gives your mind control target an eximus aura of some sort. Shield restore, extra damage, damage reduction, snow globe,  you name it

Also the 4th change, while do think it makes it better, isnt really what i had in mind. Sure its augment lets you move but it also lets you use weapons to continue playing the game instead of pressing pause

The 4th that i was imagining is like Octavias little ball/mobile radio ability.  Except you have more control. Beautiful thing about Octavias ball is that its like a mobile Nidus Larva, constantly grabing enemies as it moves around the map

So now with the augment its like choosing between being the buffed version of Octavias meatball with no attacks, or an almost literall tank with attacks

Also, Undertow is very, very slow. It almost feels like you arent moving

13 minutes ago, (PSN)IIFrost_GhostII said:

Well theres an idea, what if mind controlled targets provided an addition aura or buff? 

A buff could be increased duration to your abilities with more energy efficency or something

An aura, maybe it could be an augment that gives your mind control target an eximus aura of some sort. Shield restore, extra damage, damage reduction, snow globe,  you name it

Yeah it was an idea that dawned on me when thinking about eximus auras effects when mind controlled. How the ability just havign some innate buff would do great. It's stepping slightly more into rework ground but is still a gorgeous idea. Being able to cycle through a few augments to give MC targets.

16 minutes ago, (PSN)IIFrost_GhostII said:

Also the 4th change, while do think it makes it better, isnt really what i had in mind. Sure its augment lets you move but it also lets you use weapons to continue playing the game instead of pressing pause

The 4th that i was imagining is like Octavias little ball/mobile radio ability.  Except you have more control. Beautiful thing about Octavias ball is that its like a mobile Nidus Larva, constantly grabing enemies as it moves around the map

Also, Undertow is very, very slow. It almost feels like you arent moving

Ah okay yeah I understand you now. I feel like this is more mind control territory definitely closer to that changes you first proposed in your earlier post. I'll go ahead and slap resonator like agro draw on mind control onto the notes. I understand undertow feeling slow, just tested in simulacrum its about 1m/s. I was just aiming to make it so you dont hve to cast recast if you find yourself in a bad spot or need to draw agro from a slightly mobile target, I also worried about how awkward it would look at faster speeds without having to dump work on the animation team to make it look in place if anything was implemented.

Definitely feel this ability should be more damage focused with the agro being the mechanic you can utilise to increase that damage. Which actually, your resonator like 1 would be really beneficial to as you could cast absorb abover the hoard your MC has gathered. For this same reason though i think the 3 target system you suggested would be a bit much, having multiple resonator equivalents would really split those crowds and make it harder to cancel those you don't want as you'd need to aim at that specific target, and if you arent at the max of 3 and they have a group around them it'd be really easy to accidentally cast.

Archived