Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Update 30 Quest felt underwhelming to me

RoboticApplesWithLasers

I played through the update 30 quest over the 2 days since it launched and I thought it was really underwhelming.  It had a cool setpiece, of playing as Shroud to the song, but there wasn't any objective during that so it kinda felt like I was just being forced to listen to your shanty.  The shanty is cool, but I would've enjoyed it more if it wasn't required listening.  I would have felt more satisfied narratively if we had more information about the female pirate and more time to understand who she is as a character.  Just being told who she is by song didn't feel good to me.  As for the mechanics of the quest, they were average.  I would've liked to have some more input in on it, rather than just doing a couple of arbitrary missions and getting a new skin.  The octavia and harrow quests in particular really do a lot more for world building.  I hope that this quest and the Tempestarii get expanded on sooner rather than later before interest completely cools.

I agree, the quest had a solid beginning and end, but effectively no middle. We're given a good start by seeing the Tempestarii and Vala Glarios, and the final mission has some good moments in letting us board and man the Tempestarii, as well as control Sevagoth's Shadow while listening to Vala's shanty... but that's it. The second mission is just a run-of-the mill Railjack Spy mission used as filler to give us a mini-infodump Cy could've just remembered and told us on the spot, and in the meantime we're given absolutely no further information or context on Vala (why does she serve Parvos Granum instead of some current member of the Corpus Board? How does she fit in the Corpus political and philosophical scape? What were her sisters like?), much less her history with the Tempestarii outside of an obviously shoehorned justification for the shanty. It's a shame, because the song was terrific and could've given the Sevagoth Shadow segment that much more weight given the right buildup, but instead it just kinda... happened. We were given a paper-thin reason for having that song at that moment in that quest, and then that was that. Decoupling this update from the main Railjack Retrofit could've been an opportunity to properly flesh out that quest, but instead we got a couple of burger buns without a patty.

It was definitely not worthy to be called a quest. It was three missions with a musical number wedged in, and really unfortunate voice acting.

This quest is not the kind of thing I'd have hung a major version number change on, that's for sure.

En 16/4/2021 a las 3:17, Teridax68 dijo:

I agree, the quest had a solid beginning and end, but effectively no middle. We're given a good start by seeing the Tempestarii and Vala Glarios, and the final mission has some good moments in letting us board and man the Tempestarii, as well as control Sevagoth's Shadow while listening to Vala's shanty... but that's it. The second mission is just a run-of-the mill Railjack Spy mission used as filler to give us a mini-infodump Cy could've just remembered and told us on the spot, and in the meantime we're given absolutely no further information or context on Vala (why does she serve Parvos Granum instead of some current member of the Corpus Board? How does she fit in the Corpus political and philosophical scape? What were her sisters like?), much less her history with the Tempestarii outside of an obviously shoehorned justification for the shanty. It's a shame, because the song was terrific and could've given the Sevagoth Shadow segment that much more weight given the right buildup, but instead it just kinda... happened. We were given a paper-thin reason for having that song at that moment in that quest, and then that was that. Decoupling this update from the main Railjack Retrofit could've been an opportunity to properly flesh out that quest, but instead we got a couple of burger buns without a patty.

"Solid beginning and end" ... i don't know if we played the same 2~3 ish misions that composed this quest.... Because it was anything but solid....

A ship lost in a void storm... i see some of the devs have been interacting heavily with 40k lore lately ..... No info on what the void storms are or anything or if there are any other rj stuck in these.

I wonder if plains of Duviri is a "space hulk"(another 40k universe lore thing) at this rate.

6 minutes ago, kaotis said:

"Solid beginning and end" ... i don't know if we played the same 2~3 ish misions that composed this quest.... Because it was anything but solid....

A ship lost in a void storm... i see some of the devs have brem interacting heavily with 40k lore lately ..... No info on what the void storms are or anything or if there are any other rj stuck in these.

I wonder if plains of Duviri is a "space hulk"(another 40k universe lore thing) at this rate.

Uh, 40k did not invent the concept of the ghost ship. You may want to look up the legend of the Flying Dutchman, which DE almost certainly used as the basis for the Tempestarii. The fact that they took inspiration from another story isn't a bad thing, either, they just didn't flesh out the quest.

hace 1 hora, Teridax68 dijo:

Uh, 40k did not invent the concept of the ghost ship. You may want to look up the legend of the Flying Dutchman, which DE almost certainly used as the basis for the Tempestarii. The fact that they took inspiration from another story isn't a bad thing, either, they just didn't flesh out the quest.

The fact that in 40k you get void fisures/storms that can trap ships for eons and then spit them out... is why i stated that. <- Granted that happens when they are on the voyage from A to B ... but in our case, that exactly when we see the ghost ship for the first time.

The Flying Dutchman is a clasic... don't belittle it by comparing it to this quest.....

18 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

The second mission is just a run-of-the mill Railjack Spy mission used as filler to give us a mini-infodump Cy could've just remembered and told us on the spot

I believe the second mission is a tech demo. We don't HAVE Railjack Spy in the game yet, so highlighting that it CAN work (and work pretty well) does matter. That's part of what gave me hope for the future. It's not going age very well once we do have Railjack Spy missions as a standard game mode, though.

On 2021-04-15 at 2:52 PM, DrivaMain said:

The Quest is just a prologue. Why did I think of that? It left us on a cliffhanger.

Pretty much, the quest did what it needed to.

It introduced a new character who is going to be a recurring one (sure her story will be fleshed out more later) and hints at the next update with the Corpus liches. It also gave a somewhat flimsy explanation for our newest warframe. I think the quest was fine, could have been better. Nothing about Sevagoth is Pirate related other than the fact he operated a ship and has a pirate alt helm, hardly a "helmsmen" if you ask me, that whole aspect seemed shoehorned in to fit the sea shanty space pirate theme. But honestly it enjoyable, plus we knew it was going to be short from the get-go.

3 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

I believe the second mission is a tech demo. We don't HAVE Railjack Spy in the game yet, so highlighting that it CAN work (and work pretty well) does matter. That's part of what gave me hope for the future. It's not going age very well once we do have Railjack Spy missions as a standard game mode, though.

It would be more impressive a tech demo if ground-style missions weren't in Railjack already, even if Spy isn't among them yet. I'm not an expert on this as I don't have the code on hand, but I'm not sure why there'd be any particular reason why Spy would be any more problematic to dress up in Railjack trappings than Exterminate or Orphix.

13 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

It would be more impressive a tech demo if ground-style missions weren't in Railjack already, even if Spy isn't among them yet. I'm not an expert on this as I don't have the code on hand, but I'm not sure why there'd be any particular reason why Spy would be any more problematic to dress up in Railjack trappings than Exterminate or Orphix.

I'm pretty sure it literally is just "Railjack Spy is not in the game yet." Scott McGregor talked about how the team had managed to get all the ground missions working in Railjack prior to Railjack 3.0, but I don't recall why they'd chosen to go with just Extermination and Defence. I'm not saying that's a good choice, but I do believe they stuck a Spy mission in there pretty much solely because it's an otherwise unavailable mission type - either as a "Cool, right?" statement or as a "No, seriously - we're still working on it!" statement.

Archived