Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid is not scary as he needs to be

Drophys

Hydroid's main theme is the "Fear of the unknown depths" just like his prime trailer, Hydroid is suposed to put fear in the heart of the enemy, ive been brainstorming a kit that reflects this fear so im gonna rework his whole kit, im not gonna set numbers and stats, just how the skills should work. 

"Just as a side note im not gonna touch his augments for this rework since i havent used them aside from pilfering swarm"

Passive: Hydroid's sea dimmension is always under his feet and he can enter it by holding the crouch button for a few seconds to activate, works similar to Undertow skill but gains damage reduction for a few seconds once Hydroid reemerge from the water

First skill: Spawn two (or more) persistent monster like sharks that swims on hydroid's dimmension that random attack enemies, (Only his dorsal fin is visibel on the floor) if the enemy's health is under the finisher mark it drags it underwater to kill it, restoring a small percent of hydroid's energy and applies fear to nearby enemies.
Megalodon Wallpapers - Top Free Megalodon Backgrounds - WallpaperAccess

Second skill: just like Tentacle Swarm but now the kraken will walk on a straight line wreaking havoc by grabbing and throwing anyone, breaking armor and\or shields from the enemies
Sidenote: Just like the kraken break ships in the movie "Pirates of the caribean" i think it looks cool and scary.
The Kraken by RUBYA3445 on emaze

OR

Hydroid spawns a huge water bubble making his summons more agressive and powerful, similar to Limbo's Cataclysm, but it doesnt shrink down it simply despawns (Its just water) this will not affect allies, just enemies
Naruto | Jutsus de Kisame | Otanix Amino
Sidenote: Just an alternative since this kit has too many summons, and not enough water to reinforce his water theme

Third skill: Spawn a swarm angler fish like creatures that causes max health damage over time to enemies, once it kills it, multiplies and attack the nearby enemy until it despawns
Sidenote: Yes, just like piranhas but more terrifying.
HD wallpaper: Anglerfish | Wallpaper Flare

Fourth skill: Spawns a huge unkown monster similar to Star wars's sand worm, opening his mouth and pushing enemies towards it causing damage and if it kills the enemies, it eats them and spit out the drops (Yes the pilfering swarm augment will work the same) 
Sidenote: I know im using the photo of the kraken's mouth from the movie, just imagine the monster's mouth on the floor eating enemies
O Capitão Jack Sparrow morre e renasce depois de entrar no Kraken? The Mandalorian' admitted that 'Star Wars' was kind of a rip off

This is it, whats your opinion? Does my kit reflect Hydroid's theme? It looks scary? Please let me know.

21 minutes ago, KitMeHarder said:

Where's the pirate?

oh his appearence, but i agree, a skill that reflect his pirate theme, like summon a cannon barrage from his ship? Or like a "Raise morale" buff for him and his squadmates

3 hours ago, Drophys said:

First skill: Spawn two (or more) persistent monster like sharks that swims on hydroid's dimmension that random attack enemies, (Only his dorsal fin is visibel on the floor) if the enemy's health is under the finisher mark it drags it underwater to kill it, restoring a small percent of hydroid's energy and applies fear to nearby enemies.

As a big Shark fan i would totally support a summon for Hydroid related to Sharks tho you "Hydroid Dimension" thing i really feel makes no sense.

My Hydroid has a Shark Dorsal Fin Syandana by the way. <3

Spoiler

8Xkmg2z.jpg
WOfGZtp.jpg

40 minutes ago, Drophys said:

oh his appearence, but i agree, a skill that reflect his pirate theme, like summon a cannon barrage from his ship? Or like a "Raise morale" buff for him and his squadmates

I mean...I got a ghost pirate hydroid prime that shoots cluster cannonballs from his zarr so...

FGCHuokVcAMlpkx?format=jpg&name=large

Edit: seriously, DE should just make the zarr hydroid's weapon and give it a buff for him using it...twice as many shots before reload or something

52 minutes ago, Drophys said:

oh his appearence, but i agree, a skill that reflect his pirate theme, like summon a cannon barrage from his ship?

Sure, that's what his current one is supposed to be, so at least a little something should be enough. They say he's designed to be Davy Jones (explicitly Disney's rendition), so a bit of 'skull and crossbones' along side the sea monster is in order IMO.

1 hour ago, KitMeHarder said:

Where's the pirate?

Visual inspiration versus overall theme. Hydroid is visually a Pirate, but at his core he is the water frame (kawaii girl is a copycat). Hydroid doesn't necessarily need abilities that are pirate-like, but if they can fit with the main theme first, then it helps if they support the visual inspiration. 

32 minutes ago, (XBOX)Regxxh said:

Visual inspiration versus overall theme. Hydroid is visually a Pirate, but at his core he is the water frame

Except he's not. I'm pretty sure there is a clip of the devs saying he was supposed to be their rendition of Pirates of the Caribbean's Davy Jones.

10 minutes ago, KitMeHarder said:

Except he's not. I'm pretty sure there is a clip of the devs saying he was supposed to be their rendition of Pirates of the Caribbean's Davy Jones.

Davy Jones is the inspiration behind Hydroid's appearance, but his abilities are all water based, not pirate based. Try imagining a default Excalibur casting Hydroid's abilities, and it's a lot easier to see that Hydroid's kit is based around water. Even the tentacles are by default made of water (the kraken and fleshy tentacles are a prime detail).

Also... Hydroid. It's in the name.

1 hour ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

As a big Shark fan i would totally support a summon for Hydroid related to Sharks tho you "Hydroid Dimension" thing i really feel makes no sense.

My Hydroid has a Shark Dorsal Fin Syandana by the way. <3

Hide contents

8Xkmg2z.jpg
WOfGZtp.jpg

Just like the trailler, all the grineer are inside some sort of ocean dimesion, just like he can summon the kraken and can turn himself into a puddle i'll like to think that he migrates to that dimension or portal

• 2 weeks later...
Le 07/12/2021 à 10:42, Drophys a dit :

Hydroid's main theme is the "Fear of the unknown depths" just like his prime trailer, Hydroid is suposed to put fear in the heart of the enemy, ive been brainstorming a kit that reflects this fear so im gonna rework his whole kit, im not gonna set numbers and stats, just how the skills should work. 

"Just as a side note im not gonna touch his augments for this rework since i havent used them aside from pilfering swarm"

Passive: Hydroid's sea dimmension is always under his feet and he can enter it by holding the crouch button for a few seconds to activate, works similar to Undertow skill but gains damage reduction for a few seconds once Hydroid reemerge from the water

Second skill: just like Tentacle Swarm but now the kraken will walk on a straight line wreaking havoc by grabbing and throwing anyone, breaking armor and\or shields from the enemies
Sidenote: Just like the kraken break ships in the movie "Pirates of the caribean" i think it looks cool and scary.
The Kraken by RUBYA3445 on emaze

OR

Hydroid spawns a huge water bubble making his summons more agressive and powerful, similar to Limbo's Cataclysm, but it doesnt shrink down it simply despawns (Its just water) this will not affect allies, just enemies
Naruto | Jutsus de Kisame | Otanix Amino
Sidenote: Just an alternative since this kit has too many summons, and not enough water to reinforce his water theme

Third skill: Spawn a swarm angler fish like creatures that causes max health damage over time to enemies, once it kills it, multiplies and attack the nearby enemy until it despawns
Sidenote: Yes, just like piranhas but more terrifying.
HD wallpaper: Anglerfish | Wallpaper Flare

Fourth skill: Spawns a huge unkown monster similar to Star wars's sand worm, opening his mouth and pushing enemies towards it causing damage and if it kills the enemies, it eats them and spit out the drops (Yes the pilfering swarm augment will work the same) 
Sidenote: I know im using the photo of the kraken's mouth from the movie, just imagine the monster's mouth on the floor eating enemies
O Capitão Jack Sparrow morre e renasce depois de entrar no Kraken? The Mandalorian&#39; admitted that &#39;Star Wars&#39; was kind of a rip off

This is it, whats your opinion? Does my kit reflect Hydroid's theme? It looks scary? Please let me know.

The passive should be on a ground pound trigger the wather dimension, spawning a huge AoE that slows the bads guy's down and enhance the dmg taken by all sources for 30 sec (the AoE do not despawn. The slowing effect and dmg enhance part are temporary and give immunity to these effect for 30 sec after the debuff expiration.) . The other's abilities sound ok to me. Plus Hydroid should have an passive affinity with the Zarr since its a litteral canon and the Davy Jones inspiration; giving the weapon a 2nd or 3rd shooting mode(for Hydroid only) that can shoot an expandable tentacle still attached to the Zarr, that will try to grab and brutalize the victims on the floor, walls, and all kind of dangerous hazard(barrels, sideral void, other's ennemies, ect) if the 'gun' tentacle manage to kill the badies, no extra loot, but, if the player aim and use the Zarr like the grav gun in portal but with an crying badies(cannot manipulate other thing); the player can nourish the 'Sarlacc pit abilitie's' or the angler fish for extra energy, health and loot. (Synergy, YAY! Plus all the necessary set up is ok for getting those kind of bonus, IMO.)

DE needs to get rid of Pirate theme of Hydroid and make him Cthulhu type monster stylistic frame. That's it. Sevagoth is edgy pirate with his space ship. I also want from them to rework ultimate.

Dark Below;

Hydroid summons tentacles from dept of abyss. Grabbing and squeezing enemies. Crushing their bodies. (Instead of shaking them around, kid playing with their toys) Each kill increases Hydroid damage. (as sacrifice to Cthulhu)

• 1 month later...

love the ideas but maybe has too keep some pirate (many want it so i am just thinking of a way to add it in) maybe one ability (instead of the third ability) have the ability akin to the barrage he has today (has its a pirate ship like ability and just like now its just a hint to it) or maybe the passive was instead he summand tentacles every 5 seconds that last for 15 seconds (has to reflect that the kraken is always with him) and the second ability deals more dmg if cast next to a tentacle (or they get used up and for each that are on the field (and the amount of time left on them) i think this can be a really cool frame (sure its a LOT of work to make and code but hydroid is the frame of patience (look although long the prime trailer took) and i think he can make due with just light buffs like scaling dmg on his 4 and armor strip on his 1 with survivability buffs to the base stats)

• 2 months later...

Archived