Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Allow switching of mining tools in open worlds

Nadarejin

Mining for resources of different rarities efficiently require switching between mining tools. For example, I was trying to mine Devar from the Plains and I found out I needed to use the lowest grade Nosam Cutter, because the other cutters will heavily skew the drop table to the rarer gems. Switching mining tools currently require you to extract from the open world and change your mining tool, because you can't equip more than one mining tool in your gear wheel. Also, the lower tier cutters don't have gem/ore radar and have substantially smaller detection range. Being able to switch mining tools, just like how you can switch between fishing tools, will address these.

1 hour ago, Nadarejin said:

I found out I needed to use the lowest grade Nosam Cutter, because the other cutters will heavily skew the drop table to the rarer gems.

Unless this was a part of the old mining system, this is not a thing. All you need is the plasma cutter from Fortuna.

12 minutes ago, (NSW)mrEkli said:

You actually don't need to use anything other than the Fortuna cutter. They changed the design of mining and never meant for people to go back, they just left it in. 

Judging from the TC's post it would appear that the desire for switching cutters is not related to the mechanics of the cutter but rather the likelihood of each cutter generating common/rare resources. 

1 minute ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Unless this was a part of the old mining system, this is not a thing. All you need is the plasma cutter from Fortuna.

If you are looking for common materials then it does seem like removing options from the resource pool should make it more likely to generate common resources. I'm not sure if it actually works this way but I see the TC's point and it sounds possible.

13 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

If you are looking for common materials then it does seem like removing options from the resource pool should make it more likely to generate common resources. I'm not sure if it actually works this way but I see the TC's point and it sounds possible.

This. I had a hard time mining Devar using the Sunpoint Drill. It's more consistent to get on the plain Nosam Cutter.

9 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

That isn't the drills' fault, that is you getting crappy RNG. The different drills do not influence the drop table.

Uhh it does. You remove Sentirum and Nyth from the drop table by not using the Sunpoint Drill/Advanced Nosam Cutter. If it works like relic drop tables, its like removing the rarest drop there.

10 hours ago, Nadarejin said:

Uhh it does. You remove Sentirum and Nyth from the drop table by not using the Sunpoint Drill/Advanced Nosam Cutter. If it works like relic drop tables, its like removing the rarest drop there.

More like it blocks that section of the drop table, not actually removing it. But it doesn't increase your chances either, the drop rates are still the same. You still have the same exact chance of getting whatever you're aiming for. So, no, doesn't actually influence the drop table. And your comparison to relics is wrong. Relics have access to all tiers of drops.

Block/remove, the point is you don't roll for Nyth or Sentirum. You have 6 gems in PoE. Using the Nosam Cutter, you block 2, so you only roll the RNG for 4.  How does that not affect drop rates? If you have a link for the mining drop tables, link it. I tried finding it before starting this post and all I could find were drop tables for missions or enemies. I'm genuinely confused as to why you are so adamant about the drop rates being the same, but maybe you know where the link to the mining drop tables are.

On 2022-02-22 at 11:36 PM, Nadarejin said:

Mining for resources of different rarities efficiently require switching between mining tools.

Does it ? 🤔

In my Experience once you get the Sunpoint Plasma Drill it doesn't get more Efficient than that...

On 2022-02-22 at 11:36 PM, Nadarejin said:

For example, I was trying to mine Devar from the Plains and I found out I needed to use the lowest grade Nosam Cutter, because the other cutters will heavily skew the drop table to the rarer gems.

That's a Good Thing is it not ?

Don't you need the Rarer Gems too ?

On 2022-02-23 at 11:54 PM, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

More like it blocks that section of the drop table, not actually removing it. But it doesn't increase your chances either, the drop rates are still the same. You still have the same exact chance of getting whatever you're aiming for. So, no, doesn't actually influence the drop table. And your comparison to relics is wrong. Relics have access to all tiers of drops.

He's got a Point....if Each Vein can Only Spit Out One Gem Type... Then Blocking Off one Increases the Likelihood of Getting The Others....

But then again DE's RNG is not one to follow Logic....

Right now I ran out of Devars and have no need for other gems, i still have a stockpile of the rarer ones too. All the craftable items I need are only missing Esher Devars. Probably because the items that require the rarer gems need only 5-10 of them, while the ones needing devars consume 10-40 (like Xaku Neuro).

And yes, if each vein can only drop one gem, adding or removing conditions in a drop table affects drop rates of the items involved, because that's how conditional probability works.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't you Intentionally Miss the Nodes? when mining

to skew the rewards towards the low ranked gems (if that's your goal?)

Any case, this whole situation is silly.

Skewing the drop table by using a different beam shouldn't even be a thing.

if anything different minerals should occur based on the location and local geology

yep, give players more control over the process, and add depth to mining at the same time.

-fishing and conservation work well in this manner, expand mining as well.

6 hours ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Can't you Intentionally Miss the Nodes? when mining

to skew the rewards towards the low ranked gems (if that's your goal?)

This only affects the Quantity of the rewards... Not the Quality of Drops...

Not only that... But the 2 Most Rare Resource of all Mining Areas will Always drop just one regardless of how well you did playing the mining Mini Game.

6 hours ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Skewing the drop table by using a different beam shouldn't even be a thing.

if anything different minerals should occur based on the location and local geology

yep, give players more control over the process, and add depth to mining at the same time.

-fishing and conservation work well in this manner, expand mining as well.

That would be great. I'd love it if mining was location based. 

Archived