Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console "Overheat" Shutdown Bug

(XBOX)Rez090

Getting real tired of my console constantly shutting down when Warframe is the active app open. Keeps happening on my One S. Already did an uninstall and fresh reinstall and it still shut it down. Some update you did last year DE introduced some bad code into our game that keeps causing this issue. Warframe is the only game I have installed that ever causes the console to shutdown, none of my other 60+ games/apps causes this issue. At worst, the other games/apps dashboard me, not shut me down. Please fix soon, makes the game unplayable when you can't actually play.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had another overheat shutdown. Area around my console is very clear of anything blocking air flow, so that is not the cause. This is really annoying when no other game I've got installed gets cut off because of an overheat. I've got 60 games currently installed, the worst that ever happens to them is they dashboard me, not shut the console off. Something in a previous update borked something and it seriously needs a look thru to find the culprit.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Wrong.

Even if Warframe was somehow causing your machine to overheat, ultimately it's a HARDWARE issue since the HARDWARE is overheating not the software.  MS is notorious for using inferior Thermal paste on their processors and I have had to replace the thermal paste on 2 separate Xbox's.  If your console is not under warranty, then you either have to try and fix it on your own or pay someone to take a look.  The fans and the heat fins inside the consoles can get gummed up with dust and become inefficient at keeping the console cool enough.  Are you by chance placing the console in a cabinet or a space that has limited air flow because that would cause problems too.  Since there isn't a huge portion of Xbox console users complaining about their Xbox overheating after the recent updates, it would most likely be something that only you are experiencing.  I have been in your shoes several times and can understand your frustration.  Unless their is a large number of console users that come forth with the same issue, I wouldn't expect DE to start creating a new game code for consoles anytime soon.  I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Have a pleasant tomorrow!

5 hours ago, (XBOX)sinamanthediva said:

Even if Warframe was somehow causing your machine to overheat, ultimately it's a HARDWARE issue since the HARDWARE is overheating not the software.  MS is notorious for using inferior Thermal paste on their processors and I have had to replace the thermal paste on 2 separate Xbox's.  If your console is not under warranty, then you either have to try and fix it on your own or pay someone to take a look.  The fans and the heat fins inside the consoles can get gummed up with dust and become inefficient at keeping the console cool enough.  Are you by chance placing the console in a cabinet or a space that has limited air flow because that would cause problems too.  Since there isn't a huge portion of Xbox console users complaining about their Xbox overheating after the recent updates, it would most likely be something that only you are experiencing.  I have been in your shoes several times and can understand your frustration.  Unless their is a large number of console users that come forth with the same issue, I wouldn't expect DE to start creating a new game code for consoles anytime soon.  I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Let me throw some logic in here so you can understand why I say that Warframe is the culprit. I have 60 games currently installed over the internal and external storage. When I play the other 59 games, my console does not shutdown, even after playing hours in the same game. However, when I play Warframe, the console decides then that it wants to shut off. And the time between I start playing Warframe and it shutting off varies, April or May, one day in there, my console shut off on me 3 times within the span of an hour. The only game I was attempting to play during that time: Warframe. So there is no way my console is the sole culprit, otherwise I would be having way more shutdowns with other games. Where my console is located in my room, there are no obstructions around it, it sits next to my tv on a 3-tier shelf on the top. The shelf is not against any wall and is close to the window, which is currently not open.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Let me throw some logic in here so you can understand why I say that Warframe is the culprit. I have 60 games currently installed over the internal and external storage. When I play the other 59 games, my console does not shutdown, even after playing hours in the same game. However, when I play Warframe, the console decides then that it wants to shut off. And the time between I start playing Warframe and it shutting off varies, April or May, one day in there, my console shut off on me 3 times within the span of an hour. The only game I was attempting to play during that time: Warframe. So there is no way my console is the sole culprit, otherwise I would be having way more shutdowns with other games. Where my console is located in my room, there are no obstructions around it, it sits next to my tv on a 3-tier shelf on the top. The shelf is not against any wall and is close to the window, which is currently not open.

I suggest logging a support ticket if you want a possible solution to your console overheating. Have you tried the Xbox Live forums to see if there are others with the same problem? I've found it helpful a few times with console specific questions.  Anyways, I'm sorry you are having issues with Warframe and it's frustrating I'm sure to not be able to play the game you like because it blows up your console!  Best of Luck and if I happen to come across a possible fix I will definitely let you know!

If this was on PC I'd recommend using Classic renderer (Enhanced renderer is a lot more spiky) and switching to Legacy theme backgrounds (the Vitruvian theme pushes the GPU a lot for me). No idea what's available on console.

Warframe performance is all over the place and with locked frame rate I've seen it push my GPU close to 100% in short bursts even though it rarely goes past 50% even in combat, without optimal cooling it could easily cause overheating issues. Strange that no other game is overheating though, surely some of them should be pushing the console to it's limit...

Can still try to get the thermal paste replaced, heatsink and fan cleaned or (as previous poster said) ask on the Xbox forums.

I've had this exact problem on XBox.  Happened the most with Warframe.

Replace you power supply. 

Look at the box where you have it plugged in if the PSU LED is any color than green you have a problem. 

They're 20 bucks on Amazon.  Try one out and see if you can't get a full day's play in without it shutting down. 

4 hours ago, (XBOX)Big Roy 324 said:

I've had this exact problem on XBox.  Happened the most with Warframe.

Look at the box where you have it plugged in if the PSU LED is any color than green you have a problem. 

They're 20 bucks on Amazon.  Try one out and see if you can't get a full day's play in without it shutting down. 

Actually there is a little fan in some of the older Xbox Power Bricks that gets clogged with dust and will cause issues for sure.  Usually if there is an issue with the brick, the Xbox console wont even turn on most of the time but I would at least see if a different power brick solves your problem like @Big Roy 324  has so wisely offered! 

On 2022-06-27 at 1:22 PM, (XBOX)Big Roy 324 said:

On 2022-06-27 at 5:56 PM, (XBOX)sinamanthediva said:

Actually there is a little fan in some of the older Xbox Power Bricks that gets clogged with dust and will cause issues for sure.  Usually if there is an issue with the brick, the Xbox console wont even turn on most of the time but I would at least see if a different power brick solves your problem like @Big Roy 324  has so wisely offered! 

Have you guys not owned a One S? You're giving out advice that isn't applicable. I literally stated what Xbox I've got in my OP.

58 minutes ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Have you guys not owned a One S? You're giving out advice that isn't applicable. I literally stated what Xbox I've got in my OP.

No I do not have an Xbox S. I have an ancient Xbox One that does have the power brick like I mentioned and I also have the latest Xbox One X which there is only a cord, no brick but I have never owned an S so I have no idea what the power supply looks like.  The best suggestion is to create a support ticket otherwise nothing will be done as they rarely read anything posted in the forums, even if a BUG.

17 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Day one XBox One.  I don't envy you.  You'll have to put in for support/warranty work.

However, if you feel up to it. This video can help.

This was also happening to me, just not to this extent.  It wouldn't normally shut down, but after I'd played a while and the console got hot, the graphics would go super fuzzy and low res, and the game would crash.  No other game did this.  Not a single other game, including bigger games with larger open worlds, more graphically intensive games, etc.  Just Warframe and it was only after they started shipping out updates for next gen consoles.  It was especially bad in Railjack and my Dojo, especially if I was in my RJ in my dojo looking out the cockpit window.

I finally got a series X and it never did it again.  I have a feeling there's a bug that has something to do with the next gen updates.  That, or they just stopped even trying to optimize the game for xbox other than series X consoles, and the older hardware can't take it.

It 100% wasn't dust, or where my Xbox was, etc.  It was this one game out of dozens that was overheating my console.  Whether that's because of a bug, or because the game is no longer optimized for last gen systems, it's the game that's causing it.  No other game available for an Xbox one did this.

• 9 months later...

No solution to the problem but i may have an Explanation, I'm also experiencing the exact same issue, Also on One S. It seems since Warframe upgraded to utilize the new processing power of the SS and SX consoles they went a bit nuts with special effects, emissives and graphics and all sorts of things and focused on just the new consoles and failed to adjust for older consoles, turning graphics settings down seemed to lessen the problem but didn't entirely fix it, ive found that by pressing the Home button to pull up the quick menu will force the game into the background and allow the Fan to calm down.

it's definitely Warframes problem for not keeping their code clean and having our hardware process dense amounts of data

Edit: Correction, drop your Graphics and visual settings ALL THE WAY DOWN will definitely fix the problem, and from 0 you can scale up till you find a healthy balance of quality and functionality, i just tried this after posting, looks like Banjo Kazooie graphics but as I said you can scale up from there

Archived