Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So about the operators...

Disclaimer: I know exactly what people are going to start saying when I start asking lore questions about how old the operators are, you can rest assured that this post was made because of conflicting evidence and uncertainty among players.

So basically, what is the canon age range for the operator? DE refers to them as teens as shown in the new war disclaimer right? (The part that says new war was intended for mature and showed traumatic scenes involving teens.) 

But then again, Baro ki Teer has that one picture about the Zariman children, and several of the children seen there very clearly are children (as seen by how smol they are) and not teens.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/2/25/ClassOfTenZeroPoster.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20220422193222

Does that mean that there are canonically younger tenno than the operator we play as? Does that mean the tenno we play as is young and there are older tenno in their upper teens?

Second question: how much time did the tenno spend between arriving back at Orokin civilization and cryosleep? As shown, the tenno seem to be in cryopods even after we awaken our frame, were they there as soon as they started piloting the frames? Did they only go into full cryosleep after the fall of the Orokin? If they always were in the cryopods why was it a lore point about them having to sleep in cryopods?

And then we get to the second dream, Stalker shows up on our ship, and operator gets scared like a child having a nightmare. Does that mean the operators are still very young? Is that only because the operators live in some big power fantasy and they're afraid when something is actually able to kill them? 

Not to mention, the other tenno I'm the New War seem pretty immature in the way they act.

That test/quiz the Cephalon gave us was also incredibly easy. Was that just for lore? Was that quiz actually supposed to be considered a quiz and therefore it indirectly reflects the difficulty of the operators' curriculum? (and therefore we could try to guess his grade level?)

The actual reason why I asked this is because when I asked in region, the other players were also pretty confused about the lore behind (1) how long the tenno were on the ship, and (2) how long they were awake till cryosleep. In fact, a couple people said they didn't even think the operators were real teens and instead were more like tweens or very young teens (13ish).

It's just silly how little the players actually know about the MAIN CHARACTERS THAT YOU PLAY AS!!!

If anyone has a good estimate backed by lore I would love to hear it.

They were children when on Zariman but stopped aging when they got void powers. Not sure how long they were abroad before whole accident happened. 

Could be that those children who were younger died since there's those kid "ghosts" we can follow to find plumes. 

The Operators, physically, are in their young teens. Probably around the age range of 13-16. There's no set age however since the children onboard the Zariman varied.

Mentally is another story however. They're basically child super soldiers whose minds have been broken down and reprogrammed by the Orokin/Ballas. I'd go deeper into that and pull from irl instances involving secret services (which still happens to this day) but it's a dark af road. I guess a way to describe the Tenno's mentality would be an adult veteran that still acts/has the mentality as a teenager regarding certain aspects, with a side of severe PTSD and a dash of separation anxiety.

Margulis put them into cryosleep temporarily until she could find a way to treat them. However she was executed for not kowtowing to the Orokin, then Ballas took over and used them for the Warframe project. They were in Cryosleep for near a millennium I believe. Then when they 'woke up' they didn't wake up as themselves, they woke up in a Warframe and believed themself to be the Warframe for a while, thinking the whole time spent as such was just a dream. Or rather, a nightmare.

25 minutes ago, (PSN)IdoThea said:

They were children when on Zariman but stopped aging when they got void powers. Not sure how long they were abroad before whole accident happened. 

Could be that those children who were younger died since there's those kid "ghosts" we can follow to find plumes. 

The most confusing thing to me is if the operators didn't age, why was the cryosleep necessary? Like is it just to avoid them all going insane? Why did Rell have to do the transference loop then? Why were warframes stored in cryopods as well?

33 minutes ago, (PSN)IdoThea said:

6 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

The most confusing thing to me is if the operators didn't age, why was the cryosleep necessary? Like is it just to avoid them all going insane? Why did Rell have to do the transference loop then? Why were warframes stored in cryopods as well?

IdoThea is incorrect. They do age. Chains of Harrow explained this. Rell knew he would die of age due to being denied cryosleep, so he instead sacrificed his physical self and bound his Oro to Harrow.

1 hour ago, Numerikuu said:

IdoThea is incorrect. They do age. Chains of Harrow explained this. Rell knew he would die of age due to being denied cryosleep, so he instead sacrificed his physical self and bound his Oro to Harrow.

But in that case, how much time DID the operator spend before entering cryosleep? The tenno appear as ~13 from the way their faces look like a child's.

You need to remember that their physical age might not reflect the chronological age in appearence.

Darvo is over 100 years old and acts like a rebelious teenager and has been grommed from an young age to enter the Corpus Board by his father Forhd Bek, for all we know, the Tenno were in their 30s.

Darvo has been in school for over almost a century from the looks of it.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

The most confusing thing to me is if the operators didn't age, why was the cryosleep necessary?

It was mainly to keep them contained and transference required them to be asleep, the orokin didn't want them to lash out with their uncontrollable power since they can't be killed. (unless they want to be)

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

But in that case, how much time DID the operator spend before entering cryosleep? The tenno appear as ~13 from the way their faces look like a child's.

It's unknown, but if I had to guess it was probably several months to a year or so from the point of them being rescued from the Zariman 'til the day they went to sleep.

5 hours ago, (PSN)IdoThea said:

They were children when on Zariman but stopped aging when they got void powers

Operators didn't stop aging , Rell was one of the Tenno that we know off has been rejected by Margulis and was taken in by group of people who would later become Red Veil. Because of that Rell had no access to long sleep and thus would eventually die from aging while the rest of Tenno were on Lua in pods as stated in Chains of Harrow.

6 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

For all we know, the Tenno were in their 30s

I'm not considering that a possibility considering the dialogue when the DE employees were talking about adding "romance options" to dormizone and one of them said "We have Drifter now so it could be a possibility." 

Emphasis on Drifter.

37 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

I'm not considering that a possibility considering the dialogue when the DE employees were talking about adding "romance options" to dormizone and one of them said "We have Drifter now so it could be a possibility." 

Emphasis on Drifter.

Yeah, because I dont think the "Hey officer, they just LOOK like teenagers, they are actually older, so its not a problem if-- wait wait take those cuffs away! WAIT! WHY DO THE JAPANESE DO THIS WIHOUT ANY REASON AND NO ONEDOES ANYTHING, UNHAND ME PEASANT! UNHANMEWRNLHF BEWRHMF LZKAXJNCBFJKSXBH V\DSHFXVNLI JSBV!!" would have worked in this case...

4 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

Yeah, because I dont think the "Hey officer, they just LOOK like teenagers, they are actually older, so its not a problem if-- wait wait take those cuffs away! WAIT! WHY DO THE JAPANESE DO THIS WIHOUT ANY REASON AND NO ONEDOES ANYTHING, UNHAND ME PEASANT! UNHANMEWRNLHF BEWRHMF LZKAXJNCBFJKSXBH V\DSHFXVNLI JSBV!!" would have worked in this case...

I swear, people think I'm like this just for playing genshin impact

33 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

I swear, people think I'm like this just for playing genshin impact

Here's a fun tip that most Genshin players dont know:

Spoiler

The age of consent is 18 years old.

14 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

That's where people have to put line between fantasy & reality.

On 2022-07-07 at 1:07 PM, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Proper link please.

38 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Even if it isn't lore, the fact it's been years and operator doesn't change physically.... 

Maybe we're just manifesting our physical body in physical (non void) plane of existence? Who knows. We know that frames can be damaged and Helminth fix them.

54 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Even if it isn't lore, the fact it's been years and operator doesn't change physically.... 

That's game limitations. If DE aged up the Tenno every year that'd mean new meshes, textures, a complete overhaul of all their outfits to fit said new mesh, etc.

14 minutes ago, quxier said:

Maybe we're just manifesting our physical body in physical (non void) plane of existence? Who knows. We know that frames can be damaged and Helminth fix them.

Something like that. Using Void magic to materialise/teleport themselves etc. They are very much corporeal though, and very much susceptible to injury or death.

5 hours ago, Numerikuu said:

That's game limitations. If DE aged up the Tenno every year that'd mean new meshes, textures, a complete overhaul of all their outfits to fit said new mesh, etc.

Something like that. Using Void magic to materialise/teleport themselves etc. They are very much corporeal though, and very much susceptible to injury or death.

Idk if the tenno are supposed to even be killable anymore tbh, whenever operator dies he just goes back into the frame/chair. When he dies in a quest with no frame, we see him floating in the void before we respawn.

13 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Idk if the tenno are supposed to even be killable anymore tbh, whenever operator dies he just goes back into the frame/chair. When he dies in a quest with no frame, we see him floating in the void before we respawn.

It's unknown at this point how they work really. Hoping Duviri touches on it more. For now I'm going with the assumption that the point of time where they shook Wally's hand ended up creating a critical restore point of sorts. Either that or the Zariman--should they truly die--is their waybind. Up 'til the New War they've only ever had close calls and near misses. As for that one segment in the War Within, hell if I know 😂 some sort of near death void hallucination or something. Either that or Teshin has more tricks up his sleeve than we know.

On 2022-07-07 at 1:07 PM, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

But then again, Baro ki Teer has that one picture about the Zariman children, and several of the children seen there very clearly are children (as seen by how smol they are) and not teens.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/2/25/ClassOfTenZeroPoster.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20220422193222

Does that mean that there are canonically younger tenno than the operator we play as? Does that mean the tenno we play as is young and there are older tenno in their upper teens?

That may be a "promo" picture, to capture that big moment in time before the Tenno were sent of with their parents on the Zariman, or an early picture from the Zariman expedition, a good while before the incident. The Zariman was likely a colonization generation ship, so everyone was probably picked from a certain age in order for the expedition to achieve what was planned after a certain time. When we go through Zariman we dont see any cryo chambers there for instance, but there are real actual living quarters to host full families. Which is the reason why I think it was a generation ship, where people live, breed and die until the destination is reached and potentially the job is done.

Which is why I dont think there are younger Tenno, since the tenno (us) were probably planned to be the next generation of parents to their own kids, or simply be of the perfect age when the ship arrives to its desitnation. There just wouldnt be a use of younger or older tenno in such a plan/situation.

6 hours ago, Numerikuu said:
6 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

It's unknown at this point how they work really. Hoping Duviri touches on it more. For now I'm going with the assumption that the point of time where they shook Wally's hand ended up creating a critical restore point of sorts. Either that or the Zariman--should they truly die--is their waybind. Up 'til the New War they've only ever had close calls and near misses. As for that one segment in the War Within, hell if I know 😂 some sort of near death void hallucination or something. Either that or Teshin has more tricks up his sleeve than we know.

They explained how their immortality works in the new war quest.

Archived