Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove teleporting boundaries on maps

kebra

In a game based on movement and that has so many means of getting out of a pit/hole (Valkyr, Titania, Nova, Wukong... without talking about bullet jump and wall-running), I fail to see the point in restricting the play area... even less when you just barely get out of bounds, you get teleported back, losing all powers that were active. That makes no sense and is only frustrating.

I've had the exact same thing happen in that exact same spot as well and thought WTF, yes if I'd fallen lower than the map then yes but hitting that edge and about to flick upwards to get back into play then to be sucked into the blackness that is respawn is crazy. 

it's mainly there to stop cheating by camping in a spot where enemies can't reach, and for the newer players, who aren't used to the movement system yet and end up bouncing all over the place because they can't judge jumping distance properly yet. an option to turn it off would be a good compromise, but there are still some tiles like jupiter where this is needed, otherwise you'll be falling forever if you screw up a jump.

probably the best solution is to keep active powers after being warped. 

13 minutes ago, taiiat said:

some of the OOB zones are that way because Players could use those areas to cheat if they were able to stand in them as they pleased.

That would be easily countered if they allowed enemies to get there too... except if it's bottomless (Kuva Fortress Asteroid, Jupiter...).

5 minutes ago, kebra said:

That would be easily countered if they allowed enemies to get there too... except if it's bottomless (Kuva Fortress Asteroid, Jupiter...).

all Enemies having VTOL capabilities seems a bit limiting on design. as any Ground based Enemies are only able to change Elevations like that by using predefined Jump points. and each Jump point can only carry one Enemy at a time.

3 minutes ago, taiiat said:

all Enemies having VTOL capabilities seems a bit limiting on design. as any Ground based Enemies are only able to change Elevations like that by using predefined Jump points. and each Jump point can only carry one Enemy at a time.

That could also be corrected with a few tweaks to the tile sets... 

24 минуты назад, Slayer-. сказал:

I reckon the respawn boundaries could be lower for places like that spot, you can easily save yourself from the wall edge and if you fall further down bam your saved.

And remove it from the ceilings, it infuriates especially strongly on the ceilings.

3 minutes ago, maaleru said:

And remove it from the ceilings, it infuriates especially strongly on the ceilings.

Yeah same with the Angel fight, if I'm using a different amp sometimes I need to zip around the Angel like a mozzie on crack shooting it, if I accidentally go a bit higher than her I get kicked out of the fight and need to rejoin it.

There are high-up places on Mars where players are intended to go. Places with containers, lockers and syndicate medallions. But if you bullet jump up there, you go a little too high and you respawn. Must be a relic from before parkour system. It's very very very annoying.

They would have to edit every single tile set to fix this issue which is not something I think they would focus on now, but it would be nice to not have all our abilities removed, some maps are just massive nullifiers everywhere you go. 

8 hours ago, kebra said:

That could also be corrected with a few tweaks to the tile sets... 

hm, okay, fair. places could be designed with more 'functional levels' in them, so instead of a pit, being a lower Floor designed into the Structure with the usual Ramps and such.

not likely to happen, though

7 hours ago, maaleru said:

Omg pls. There are so many maps where the ceilings are just so weirdly low, going to bullet jump into the air so you can bombard and it's just like "let's actually reset you and plop you in front of the people you were going to bombard instead"

It's an effect of the old movement system and old player strategies. Being these zones exist in areas on older maps where they were inaccessible to begin with or were made inaccessible due to players using them to cheese enemies. But also a number of places simply don't have terrain/collision much higher up and you would just end up out of bounds or in the sky box if you could get higher.

That said pitfalls should still exist as should weird nooks along walls/ceilings remain blocked to prevent cheese. But the zones along ceilings/open sky should be removed/raised as a number of tiles still zone you out just for bullet jumping straight up.

9 hours ago, kebra said:

In a game based on movement and that has so many means of getting out of a pit/hole (Valkyr, Titania, Nova, Wukong... without talking about bullet jump and wall-running), I fail to see the point in restricting the play area... even less when you just barely get out of bounds, you get teleported back, losing all powers that were active. 

Remove entirely? No. Some of the old bottomless pits are things like lava pits (Grineer asteroid) or 400 foot drops (Grineer shipyard). These would be genuinely inescapable for all frames except Titania

What I do agree is the "kill plane" does need to get pushed downward in some tiles like Grineer Galleon. When you could save yourself with a standard issue double jump, but still get tagged by kill plane anyway, that's bad level design

Archived