The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solo railjack worries

T-35

Question

I've been thinking of grinding my intrinsic points by doing solo railjack missions. My worry is that after finishing the mission in the archwing I would come to a trashed railjack that needed LOTS of repairs. Is my worry real and is it worth the risk?

13 answers to this question

42 minutes ago, T-35 said:

I've been thinking of grinding my intrinsic points by doing solo railjack missions. My worry is that after finishing the mission in the archwing I would come to a trashed railjack that needed LOTS of repairs. Is my worry real and is it worth the risk?

Just buy the AI, they are more effective than pubs anyway. With exception of boarding parties. Ill also add just kill everything BEFORE doing the objective.

On 2022-08-27 at 6:21 PM, T-35 said:

Just as a side note: repairs also give you intrinsic points :)

On 2022-08-27 at 7:05 PM, (XBOX)elementXGHILLIE said:

Just buy the AI, they are more effective than pubs anyway. With exception of boarding parties. Ill also add just kill everything BEFORE doing the objective.

Then again... if you let the AI crew pilot or man the guns, all kills they make won't net you any XP and thus no intrinsic points.  Getting a beefy ship gun and killing everything yourself thus gives more points for a single mission, so check if you already own a decent gun before putting an AI on the helm. 

Letting the AI crew fix the ship does give points though!

Uh depends really. On how much progression you have made. 

If its possible, and you are starting out from the beginning, then I would advise, getting some help, from someone else, a friend etc who has a decent Railjack already. To help you get some of the better Railjack components, weapons, some Intrinsics and some Railjack Mods etc 

So when you do run solo, its a better of an easier curve. 

Its been a long time since I have had to struggle with Railjack, because I have max Intrinsics, a great optimised AI crew, and yadda yadda, and at my stage, its actually usually more efficient to go solo than PUG. When I play with friends, its actually less efficient lol. Again though... doing Railjack once you have everything and doing Railjack when you first start off or are in that middle process... totally different. 

If you can't get any help for whatever reason, you should still be fine, you might just have to take it slower, and might be some tougher battles. It will gradually get easier, until eventually, you'll find it comfy. Try and get a good Engineer AI Crew Mate to help with worry about your Railjack being damaged. Maybe a Defender too? I am not sure what the early game for Railjack is like, because my Railjack was already strong when they introduced AI crew. 

Also worth considering... if you don't enjoy it (I personally enjoy Railjack) but if you are finding it a bit hard... could always wait for a XP booster weekend. You'll get your Intrinsics faster (unless something has changed). I overtook a few of my friends in Railjack progress just because I took advantage of stacking XP boosters (mind you back then we had a node/mission called Gian Point...)

Good luck in any case! 

So from personal (and recent) experience. There's a significant benefit to having two or three crew members on repairs, as those grant experience when their completed, regardless of who did it. Second, not having a beefy ship can be a good thing as there's a farming method that specifically relies on your ship going into hull breach mode repeatedly, and the crewmates fixing it. Lastly, Like said above, Going out with someone who's got a better built railjack will definetly give you a much better starting point before you go solo, both in experience, and in Railjack parts.

On 2022-08-27 at 12:21 PM, T-35 said:

On every mission map there are rocks big enough to park your railjack in, then be off on your merry way.

Still a sound tactic from the early days of railjack.

4 hours ago, CavaleroForKhorne said:

On every mission map there are rocks big enough to park your railjack in, then be off on your merry way.

Still a sound tactic from the early days of railjack.

I used to do this with my railjack back when the thing was like a paper bag.  Parking in an empty rock is a bit hit and miss though.  On Earth proxima there's also an Orokin tower at the back of the level, in which I could hide far better (and safer).  Another option is to insta-reverse your railjack, fly off into empty space, park it there and fly back in archwing asap.  This also used to work to not draw fire to your railjack.

I'm not sure I get what you're worried about. If it's about the damage your railjack takes during a mission, there can be only one catastrophic failure at a time, which gives you around one minute to react. If you can complete your objectives in less time than that, you won't have a problem, just remember to use the forge to refill your revolite.

Maybe I didn't get your question right but it sounds like you're afraid you'll have to spend resources to repair any damage done to your railjack after a mission ; all you need to know is that there is no such thing as repairing a railjack in-between missions, you'll only ever need revolite to repair it during missions. So go ahead and try, the only thing you can waste is your time.

Hmmmm AI gunners dont give you instrinsics???  I dont know how thats true.   Everything is shared in RJ.....   (but im not really in a position to argue being maxed out and unable to see intrinsics lol. )

-------

Grinding up your ship solo is sorta difficult and hugely pointless.    Just slap the RJ button and click on the join a squad button @veil prox to jump into rando RJ's and help those guys.   Or even better get a friend with a nice ship to help.     ( I join random RJ's when im bored and there is usually always someone at veil,  if not I just check all the other planets and I have never NOT gotten someone doing RJ)

But intrinsics are just "affinity".   You want full squads with a booster or go solo and stealth kill your way through enemy interiors.    But RJ survival in veil prox should get you tons of intrinsics...   

-------

But to be good at Solo...  You just need Tactical 4 (to warp back to your ship instead of aw).  Gunnery 3+ for the artillery cannon.   Engineer 3 to make artillery ammo....    

PLATING is what controls your ships armor and HP.   So having ANY kind of plating should be your highest priority lol.   

An AI engineer do a killer job of keeping your ship alive.  (as long as you dont get boarded lol).  

Glazio/Apoc/Carcynox can break corpus crewship shields and make good guns for pilot.      Talyn has killer range and makes a good side turret for others or an AI gunner.  

41 minutes ago, (PSN)AbBaNdOn_ said:

Hmmmm AI gunners dont give you instrinsics???  I dont know how thats true.   Everything is shared in RJ.....   (but im not really in a position to argue being maxed out and unable to see intrinsics lol. )

Just to check if I wasn't BS-ing everyone here, I checked the wiki:

Note that Stealth Kill Affinity Bonus and Scanning contributes to the Affinity pool for an Intrinsic point. However, kills by NPC crewmates will not grant Affinity nor Intrinsic xp.

So, yeah, AI kills gain you nothing (apart from helping to stay alive).

But just above that phrase I found this:

Each Intrinsic point requires 1000 Affinity (1/10 of Affinity earned only goes into Instrinsic gain) which can be earned through a variety of activities during Empyrean missions, and unlike regular missions Affinity Range is infinite so all Squad members benefit regardless of their locations.

Nice; I didn't know that yet.  So no need to huddle close to other squad members in these missions.

On 2022-08-27 at 5:21 PM, T-35 said:

If you need someone to pilot the railjack I'm happy to do so. Send me a PM in game if you like :)

On 2022-08-29 at 1:27 PM, Retrijeuj said:

Maybe I didn't get your question right but it sounds like you're afraid you'll have to spend resources to repair any damage done to your railjack after a mission ; all you need to know is that there is no such thing as repairing a railjack in-between missions, you'll only ever need revolite to repair it during missions. So go ahead and try, the only thing you can waste is your time.

Retrijeuj,

That's exactly what I was worried about. Clan research is such a drain that I couldn't imagine adding railjack repairs to the burden, Thanks for the info, now on to blowing stuff up without worry!

If you want to farm intrinsic points just wait for a Affinity weekend, buy a 3 day affinity booster, get a blessing every 3 hours and farm it for 2-3 days.. all done.. the soloing in RJ isnt hard just make sure you have your RJ in reasonable shape.. mod for hull, armor, shields etc to start with and get MK3 front guns asap .. start in quick missions and just fly around shoot everything .. rinse and repeat, but make sure to go back to dry dock every few runs incase game crashes.. once you upgrade your intrinsics and mod your guns move to next proxima until u can get to Veil, and run exterminates.. even ask someone to come with you a few times to keep RJ in order.  If u want a hand pm me if u on PC.. 

Archived