Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Man In The Wall Theory (Spoilers)

GoldenToad

I just made this post on the r/Warframe reddit and I thought I'd post it here too.

Recently I happened upon a clip of the Man In The Wall's talking scene. Where he flies out of a portal as the Vitruvian Man.

So I thought that I'd give it ago with trying to crack it- as the developers themselves said that there are legitimate words being spoken.

I can't seem to figure out how to add the video here so check it out on my original post: 

The first word is debatable, however the first set of words seems to be "Fass Ris Xata Lohk"

The second set of "words" is actually a singular word drawn out: "Roanoke"

If you don't know, Roanoke Island has a legend about it.

The story goes that in the late 1500s an English colony made attempts to live on the island but were driven out by a lack of food and hostile natives.

How does this compare to Warframe though? Well- from what we know of Albrecht Entrati the first time a portal to the void was opened he was met with The Man In The Wall. It reached for him (or to leave through the portal). Albrecht quickly left and closed the portal- cutting off The Man In The Wall's finger in the process.

However, the English tried again in 1587. A second colony of 120 people was sent to Roanoke Island. Some years later, the leader of the camp made a journey back to England to gather more supplies and upon returning to the island in 1930 he found that the entire settlement was gone with but one clue left behind- the name of a friendly tribe was engraved upon a nearby tree. They say that nobody knows whether the colony joined with the friendly tribe or was massacred by the hostile tribe that was nearby.

What is the legend called? The Lost Colony. The Zariman Ten Zero was a Colony Ship that vanished after a Void-Jump Accident. But was it an accident?

Looking back at the first set of words:

"Fass Ris Xata Lohk"

Roiling, Moaning, this realm of ours

In maddness lost, shall die

In luminous space [of] blackened stars

They gaze, accuse, deny *1

Its heralds are the stars it fells *2

The sky and Earth aflame

From brooding gulfs are we beheld

By that which bears no name

*1 - Xaku's ability "The Lost" has 3 parts (Gaze, Accuse, Deny)

Gaze - Freezes enemies - The Zariman was trapped in the void after an "accident".

Accuse - Creates a fissure that corrupts enemies - The Zariman children were given Void Powers.

Deny - Unleashes rays of piercing light to destroy enemies - Perhaps the Man In The Wall will use the Tenno to take over the origin system (maybe the Drifter will have to stop them)

*2 "The heralds are the stars it fells" could be the Operators that were "corrupted" and given Void Powers.

In the story it is unknown whether the Roanoak Colony was destroyed or saved- but in the Warframe universe both happened. The ship was both destroyed by the Orokin after they retrieved the children and it also reappeared in real space some time after the Orokin's downfall.

The Operator received Void Powers after their other lives were killed in the cutscene (Destroyed)

The Drifter was "saved" by Dominus Thrax by being preserved in Duviri (Saved)

My theory is that the Man In The Wall lets you screw around in the Void with his powers because in time he will take control of the Operators to attempt to break into the Origin System to consume it. The Drifter will have to work with Dominus Thrax in an attempt to somehow prevent that.

Edited by GoldenToad
Updated the title to include "Theory"
  • Like 2

On 2023-05-04 at 8:08 AM, GoldenToad said:

The Drifter was "saved" by Dominus Thrax by being preserved in Duviri (Saved)

That is uhm really up for interpretation. It is more like we have a "Lord of the Flies" scenario with all of Duviri, where everyone is more or less survivors from the alternate Zariman where we didnt accept Wally's offer. Some have the idea that Dominus Thrax is just a void manifestation produced by the thoughts and fears of the Drifter. I personally dont get that impression. I get the impression that Thrax is just another Tenno (or well "drifter") with void attunement granted by Wally for some twisted game in the alternate dimension, which allows Thrax to alter the reality and time (which doesnt really exsist in the Void) of Duviri. And the reason things and characters are as they are on Duviri is due to it being the creation spawned from a childs mind that was hooked on a storybook about the real Orokin Duviri (which at one point was mentioned in Fortuna).

And it wouldnt be far fetched given what we already know about tenno and frames with their "limited" access to the pure energy of the void. Frames can materialize things out of nothingness thanks to their void powered nature and the heart, and the tenno can do all sorts of S#&$ aswell. Thrax is inside the void, likely with access to unrestricted and wild void energy, so him being able to create a full colony through the power of the void and with help of colonzation equipment from the Z is a reasonable expectation.

On 2023-05-05 at 6:52 AM, SneakyErvin said:

Some have the idea that Dominus Thrax is just a void manifestation produced by the thoughts and fears of the Drifter.

That what the story all but says though. We know Drifter is the one that made Duviri which is why we can reverse time to bring Teshin back, and we know Dominus is based on a doll accompanying the book of story Duviri is based on. Also the little things we get from the lore fragments and other characters, like Dominus not being the first King.

12 minutes ago, Atsia said:

That what the story all but says though. We know Drifter is the one that made Duviri which is why we can reverse time to bring Teshin back, and we know Dominus is based on a doll accompanying the book of story Duviri is based on. Also the little things we get from the lore fragments and other characters, like Dominus not being the first King.

We know the drifter made the place, but that doesnt mean Thrax or any of the other residents are manifestations and not just Zariman survivors stranded. We also dont know if the Drifter created Duviri in the shape of the tennoverse Duviri, or if that is something done by Thrax after he took the throne. All we can conclude is that he is a mad king, with a massive interest in the Duviri book and things related to that story, like his favorite toy that depicts Thrax, which he has also taken the role of. Likely all to cope with the situation and to help survive. We also know that Thrax doesnt give up at the end of the storyline for Duviri, since we who are past TNW know that he will send incursions into our verse, both on the Zariman and on Lua.

Also a thing to note. If you look around on Duviri, most inhabitants look like mechanicals. So one can wonder if they are all "void hybrids" similar to the thrax. Maybe many died over the years since the stranding and gradually got replaced with "android" versions.

Another thing to note, it isnt positive that the Drifter created and altered Duviri like Thrax does, since the Drifter doesnt have access to void powers alone. As Teshin points out when it comes to the Warframe part, the hand can help. Which in itself is an odd thing since we know whom that hand belongs to, so odd that it can do anything regarding the frames, unless it is souped up with "eidolon" void energy after the specific person got it chopped off and sent into the void. So it is likely that alot of what we see/experience in the Duviri quest are simply things done by Thrax (whom has the actual power) and the Drifter just manages to break it by winning.