Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bows Should Ignore or Instapop Nullifiers

CrownOfShadows

I noticed this while trying to use the Dread Incarnon in Corpus missions. Bows are not set up to rapid fire. Many have benefits for holding the shot longer. They're more difficult to aim.

Sometimes, the nullifier completely recharges in between shots (low fire rate), making it impossible to kill them if all you took was that bow (as was the case with me - thus nearly soft-locking the exterminate). Consider too multiple nullifiers crowding in and overlapping their bubbles....

This would also help incentivize bow use even if it's a little niche.

Lastly, from a IRL physics POV, arrows seem like they would go through things like that with their long shafts making them immune to hypermagnetism or whatever, so there's a handy reason behind it to boot.

• Like 3

I do think that nullifier bubbles should be looked at, as to deal with them effectively (without getting inside the bubble) requires a rapid fire weapon. If you have something that fires slowly then you're out of luck. :/

• Like 5

Bows vs Nullifiers is very doable. You basically have two options:
1) Hit the drone at the top. No it's not easy, but it pops it and prevents it from coming back.
2) Enter the bubble. Discretion advised.

I've gotten used to entering the bubble because of arctic and guardian eximus, even when not using a bow. There's something satisfying about it.
Also, your physics doesn't apply here. Physics in WF is whatever it decides at the time. If arrows could punch through, bullets could. Bullets are very good at punching through things. But then Nullifiers wouldn't be much threat, I mean look at the Comba and Scrambus. Those are basically Nullifiers whose bubble you can shoot through, and they're scarier for their rocket pistol than nullifier effects.

• Like 2

i know what you're getting at, that the floating Drone can be  literally inside the Ceiling sometimes, so low RoF Weapons are just.... biased against, then.
which, yeah, heh.

(and also spraying the Shield is generally faster and easier than popping the Drone anyways)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrownOfShadows said:

Sometimes, the nullifier completely recharges in between shots (low fire rate), making it impossible to kill them if all you took was that bow

Bows are bad at brute forcing nulli bubbles, but I'm curious what bow build you were using and in what kind of content  Most bows have quick shot, and even Daikyu can get through them...with Vile Acceleration.  And nobody should be running Daikyu without that or some form of RoF bonus.  Also I don't think people should be leaving their other weapons slots empty unless they're ready to deal with the consequences.

As far as feedback goes...

I generally like that slow weapons have a weakness against nullies.  I feel  bows are a little underpowered, but this isn't the kind of buff I'm interested in.  What I could like though, would be a bow mod that had a weaker Neutralizing Justice effect, maybe along with a minor bonus of some sort, particularly if it was restricted to the conventional bows. 

I get the complaint but all slow weapons share this problem. Unless you're limited to the bow as your only weapon, you should have a secondary, archgun, and your Operator/Drifter available to take care of the Nullifiers.

As far as bows go, I wouldn't mind giving normal bows (no Bramma and the like) the ability to ignore the Nuliifier bubble and shoot through it.

4 hours ago, TheSixOfDiamonds said:

If arrows could punch through, bullets could. Bullets are very good at punching through things.

That's not true. If the bubble stops fast-moving projectiles but lets a slow moving person pass right through, then clearly that means that a projectile with a low enough speed should be able to penetrate. What that speed is...that's up to the developer to decide.

It's also not unrealistic. Normal matter typically decreases resistance as force is increased, but energy fields can absolutely be made to increase resistance as force is increased, in fact this is the basis of, like, induction circuits or something.

3 hours ago, TheReaverOfDarkness said:

That's not true. If the bubble stops fast-moving projectiles but lets a slow moving person pass right through, then clearly that means that a projectile with a low enough speed should be able to penetrate. What that speed is...that's up to the developer to decide.

It's also not unrealistic. Normal matter typically decreases resistance as force is increased, but energy fields can absolutely be made to increase resistance as force is increased, in fact this is the basis of, like, induction circuits or something.

I realise non-Newtonian physics is a thing, but I've not heard about something like a magnetic field stopping anything.

I still don't think WF is playing with any known physics beyond "gameplay".