The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PSA: Heirloom Collection Platinum Changes & Lessons

[DE]Megan

10 minutes ago, (PSN)HeartCoreGamer said:

Can you remind me who sold its soul to Tencent, please?

A little recap then.

In 2014 Sumpo Food Holdings aquired a majority share of DE.
In 2015 Sumpo Food Holdings was rebranded as Leyou, which as of 2016 owned the whole company - Digital Extremes.
In 2020 Tencent bought Leyou with all it's subsidiaries. DE definitelly didn't have any say in it.

So the reality check here is that DE is still owned by the same Leyou that owned them since 2014/15. Only difference is that Tencent now owns Leyou. 
When Leyou was aquiried it was publicly announced that DE will remain independent.
Another reality check is that Tencent owns or has stakes in most Western and Eastern development studios. You might not even know it and love something Tencent owns.

Tencent also owns:
Riot Games (LoL, LoR, Valorant, Arcane)
Techland (Dying light)
40% of Epic games
10% of Ubisoft
16.25% of FromSoftware (yes, that From Software)
and either fully owns or partially owns a dozen other game studios that I will not bother to list here.

So "Tencent owns DE = DE bad" is an argumant build on nothing and zero. It's simply a laughable attack from those who have no good arguments.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Gabriel-Fi said:

I really really hope that they are at least internally talking with business teams to address our concerns since the last update and come up with a different, cheaper bundle.

I give them till the end of next week for an update.

I hope so for all the people who don't want the inflated price do to the platinum and aya with the bundles

Most people just want the skins and cosmetics but can't afford them do to the inflated prices

• Like 2

This has to be a joke. The problem was that the price is far far too high for the skins, not that there was not enough platinum. The pack was bloated with stuff nobody asked for just to raise the price. No amount of bloat will fix this.

Edited by _Eclips3_
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, (XBOX)toughdragon17 said:

It may not be life or death but Its hurting there reputation and good will of there company causing many people to despise them and become untrusting of them 

funfact, if you look up "warframe" on youtube now the first thing you see is like 5-8 videos about the heirloom stuff and how bad it is

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Xkorpitron said:

would you blame the waiter, for the food tasting awful?

If they didn't communicate well to the chef on what I wanted then yes 

Say I wanted cheese and the waiter told the chef to add more pickles because thats what I wanted when I never asked for pickles 

Just how we didn't ask for more plat yet we got more plat most likely do to bad communicate on what the comunity actually wanted

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cerikus said:

A little recap then.

In 2015 Sumpo Food Holdings was rebranded as Leyou, which as of 2016 owned the whole company - Digital Extremes.
In 2020 Tencent bought Leyou with all it's subsidiaries. DE definitelly didn't have any say in it.

So the reality check here is that DE is still owned by the same Leyou that owned them since 2014/15. Only difference is that Tencent now owns Leyou. 
When Leyou was aquiried it was publicly announced that DE will remain independent.
Another reality check is that Tencent owns or has stakes in most Western and Eastern development studios. You might not even know it and love something Tencent owns.

Tencent also owns:
Techland (Dying light)
40% of Epic games
10% of Ubisoft
and either fully owns or partially owns a dozen other game studios that I will not bother to list here.

So "Tencent owns DE = DE bad" is an argumant build on nothing and zero. It's simply a laughable attack from those who have no good arguments.

I mean 

Pretending tencent has no sway over a company they own seems kinda silly
Tencents entire gimmick is mobile games right?

Who asked for warframe on mobile

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Waeleto said:

funfact, if you look up "warframe" on youtube now the first thing you see is like 5-8 videos about the heirloom stuff and how bad it is

I trust influencers about as far as I can throw them. I thought their hankering about explosive self-damage was stupid and disingenuous when they were complaining about that, and I think its stupid and disingenuous now.

Edited by Commander

12 minutes ago, Cerikus said:

A little recap then.

Tencent also owns:
Techland (Dying light)
40% of Epic games
10% of Ubisoft

Finally see someone mentioning this.

Although whether DE still remains independent is still arguable, but simply saying “Tencent owns DE = DE bad” is an evidence of not thinking in depth.

BTW, if you have ever played a game developed by Tencent (yes Tencent makes their own games), you would surely know how predatory the bundles in their games are.

Edited by TypeZeroEmiya
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Waeleto said:

Guess we'll find out soon enough whether DE values taking advantage of their base or maintaining their integrity.

Edited by Lionsheart89
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, (NSW)Justarius said:

Pretending tencent has no sway over a company they own seems kinda silly

Sway? Sure, but the thought that the Heirloom packs were an order from Tencent is laughable. The way it is put together and how it's handled has DEs fingerprints all over it.

This is not the first "rodeo" and it won't be the last, because DE does something like this from time to time and they didn't need to be owned by Tencent to do the same in the past.

7 minutes ago, (NSW)Justarius said:

Tencents entire gimmick is mobile games right?

Dunno about that. Tencents entire gimmick seems more like owning everything.

17 minutes ago, Cerikus said:

A little recap then.

Tencent also owns:
Techland (Dying light)
40% of Epic games
10% of Ubisoft

You do remember that there's that version of warframe right? And do you know how stuff goes there with the ingame purchases? It's not hard for people to think something is afoot and Tencent would be involved in it. 

Edited by Stafelund
  • Like 1

il y a 14 minutes, Cerikus a dit :

A little recap then.

Tencent also owns:
Techland (Dying light)
40% of Epic games
10% of Ubisoft

Easy boyz. Steve always said that, at the very beginning of Warframe, they wanted to work with the most important FTP games Chinese company. 

Don't absolve them too quickly.

• Like 1

Pages 61. People are still upset because DE didn't add a bundle with only the cosmetics, and the prestige badge is a still a sham, and the same 3 people completing ignoring why everyone is mad while they counterargue "lol you just mad cuz you poor bro".

• Like 26

3 minutes ago, wodanclay said:

Pages 61. People are still upset because DE didn't add a bundle with only the cosmetics, and the prestige badge is a still a sham, and the same 3 people completing ignoring why everyone is mad while they counterargue "lol you just mad cuz you poor bro".

Don't forget that most of the pages are the same people arguing over and over. (Myself included.)
Also don't forget that many people are happy with the packs.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)BeastKing KO said:

There seem to be a lot of people on here confused about why a lot of us take issue with this Heirloom collection and the pricing/FOMO practices surrounding it. There have been a lot of good points raised and even I posted earlier outlining several major reasons this business practice is predatory and unfair.

That said, I want to make some additional points. By no means are these the only issues, but I think the following are worth mentioning for those who struggle to empathize, in the hopes they might at least see how this situation could upset folks:

This Heirloom collection is touted as a "thank you" to players who supported the game over the last ten years. They aren't selling it at random, they're very clear about it being a way of "saying thanks."

So, to address the monetization issue: If someone can say "Thank you!" to me and my only available response is "no, I can't afford that right now" then they weren't really saying thank you at all.

To address the FOMO issue: Even if you're of the opinion that FOMO practices aren't problematic (they are and always have been) you should be able to see a little tone-deafness in calling something a "thank you" for ten years of support but charging new money and only keeping it available for a limited time. Certainly when you consider that is an arbitrary decision they never had to make.

To simply dismiss it as "businesses need to make money" is to ignore the label DE themselves has tried to put on it. So it seems weird to have a problem with  people calling them out for trying to put a different label on it than that.

I'm genuinely one of the old whales in this game, if I wanted these skins I could buy them. I don't because the practice is predatory.

Also worth noting, if your response to these complaints is "just don't buy them, just don't play the game, quit complaining etc." just do us a favor and take that energy, apply it to your need to gripe about our opinions on this post and make that same choice; stop engaging here and go enjoy your cool new skins. You're a hypocrite if you're taking to this thread just to complain about people complaining. Not that you didn't all already know that.

I just wanted to add that after the unrest caused by the founders pack due to basically the exact same issues of being a predatory limited-time FOMO that DE promised the community it would never happen again. The community accepted that apology and promise along with the peace offering release of Excalibur Umbra. Yet here we are. If they go back on their word now the community can never trust them ever again. This isn't a Warframe or Weapon that the devs can give us a cooler version later down the road. They are special commemorative skins that millions of players have already spent money on platinum, a currency specifically designed for purchasing in-game cosmetics and yet they can't spend the platinum they've already purchased for the very kind of thing that platinum exists for. To add insult to injury the "solution" DE gives us is here is more platinum that you can't use. It doesn't matter how you sugar coat it, this simply cannot be justified.

One last thing, I just wanted to point out that this whole post is also a common practice for predatory sales tactics. When a company oversteps their bounds and receives backlash for it they come up with a half hearted "fix" and then make excuses as to why they can't do anything more about it. Often using the victims of the predatory sales tactics as an excuse in how it wouldn't be fair to do anything else. This is followed by more predatory sales tactics along with the excuse that it is already the status quo in how the sales have always been handled.

The whole reason there are so many people here demanding more from DE right now is because we are all too familiar with this pattern. We love Warframe and the devs who make it. We love the community this game has fostered over the years. But we sit here now staring at a mistake that spells the beging of the end to many. We gather together in a forum doing everything we can to make our voices heard in the hopes that the Warframe of the future will continue being the game we all fell in love with. But that will never happen if DE can't  keep the promises they've already made to the community. We were told never again, it's time for DE to keep their word.

• Like 20

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)EazyT4RG3T said:

I just wanted to add that after the unrest caused by the founders pack due to basically the exact same issues of being a predatory limited-time FOMO that DE promised the community it would never happen again. The community accepted that apology and promise along with the peace offering release of Excalibur Umbra. Yet here we are. If they go back on their word now the community can never trust them ever again. This isn't a Warframe or Weapon that the devs can give us a cooler version later down the road. They are special commemorative skins that millions of players have already spent money on platinum, a currency specifically designed for purchasing in-game cosmetics and yet they can't spend the platinum they've already purchased for the very kind of thing that platinum exists for. To add insult to injury the "solution" DE gives us is here is more platinum that you can't use. It doesn't matter how you sugar coat it, this simply cannot be justified.

One last thing, I just wanted to point out that this whole post is also a common practice for predatory sales tactics. When a company oversteps their bounds and receives backlash for it they come up with a half hearted "fix" and then make excuses as to why they can't do anything more about it. Often using the victims of the predatory sales tactics as an excuse in how it wouldn't be fair to do anything else. This is followed by more predatory sales tactics along with the excuse that it is already the status quo in how the sales have always been handled.

The whole reason there are so many people here demanding more from DE right now is because we are all too familiar with this pattern. We love Warframe and the devs who make it. We love the community this game has fostered over the years. But we sit here now staring at a mistake that spells the beging of the end to many. We gather together in a forum doing everything we can to make our voices heard in the hopes that the Warframe of the future will continue being the game we all fell in love with. But that will never happen if DE can't  keep the promises they've already made to the community. We were told never again, it's time for DE to keep their word.

If anything I think the sixty plus pages of people complaining and the news sites smelling blood in the water will make them reconsider these future "heirloom" packs

• Like 6

Just gonna add one more voice/vote to the 'I don't need bloat in my packs' side, I've been with the game on and off since just after I missed the opportunity to be a Founder and while that FOMO haunts me a little it's also a lesson learned, same reason I no longer buy Prime Access. I DO NOT need Platinum, or Aya, or to a lesser degree Regal Aya. There are a handful of Prime Noggles I missed over the years that I have bought Regal Aya for and I will continue to do so as my contribution to a solid game but that will likely be the only contributions I make going forward.

• Like 4