Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2 people playing in the same house

slayerlouis

Question

I have been playing warframe for a few years now and my dad who is also a gamer wants to try warframe soon.

I have been reading about having 2 accounts in the same house for a while and still don’t have a sure answer if it’s ok for my dad to make an account. We will be both using different pc’s and I won’t be planning to be trading many things to him as I want him to experience the grind and not give him shortcuts. I’m just afraid that de with thing my dads account is a alt and get my account banned

13 answers to this question

multiple Accounts existing in the same place doesn't automatically breach ToS, you shouldn't experience issues if you're not Trading stuff of value between the Accounts.
you could mention to Support as aforementioned for good measure, if you'd like.

the most significant thing IMO would be to ensure that the two users have different Ports set in Warframes' Networking settings. there are several Port Pairs available specifically to ensure that multiple People playing from the same location can avoid connectivity issues. it doesn't matter what Port Pairs are used, just that everyone playing the game is set to use a different Port Pair than everyone else at that location.

• Like 2

My boyfriend used to play and we play right next to each other on the same router and what not. We submitted a ticket to support letting them know we were separate players on the same connection when we started. It's been maybe 8 or 9 years of playing, he stopped playing about a year ago I think, and we never got warnings or had issues. We regularly traded things like items or platinum between each other, as well.

• Like 2

As long all unique identifiers and account related links/data remain separate, you shouldn't have any issues.

You see, warframe collects data and uses this data to determine who is using the account, sure you might share similar IP adresses, but you likely have a different discord id right? Same goes for potential linked accounts, like steam or twitch.

Issues only arrive when they detect that something that is unique is now being used on multiple accounts with those same accounts interacting with eachother. This can be perceived as a user using an alt to interact with a main account, which isn't allowed.

Edited by KIREEK

17 minutes ago, slayerlouis said:

How do I mention this to support ?

you'd just create a Support Ticket like any other interaction. make your best judgement on what sounds like an appropriate Category and explain yourself. if they think there's a better Category, they'll forward it internally.

4 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

wut? Where does Warframe track anything involving Discord?

I dont want to leave without replying to you, but unfortunately i can't discuss details regarding it.

DE collects data and uses said data to indentify unique users, even across multiple warframe accounts, it's similar to a fingerprint, only they use other things to add to that fingerprint, including linked content and easily available data on your machine/game install.

5 hours ago, SpicyDinosaur said:

wut? Where does Warframe track anything involving Discord?

They use Discord's Game SDK (loaded in log files, more info about it is here: https://discord.com/developers/docs/game-sdk/sdk-starter-guide). Whether or not they collect data from it separately outside of rich presence activities is unknown to me, but it's also not really a concern. I've played on friend's PCs when visiting with their discord account still logged in before with no issues, and I wouldn't expect it to cause any.

There are much better hardware identifiers to use to detect alt accounts that don't rely on third party services, and they likely use those instead. It's very unlikely for two users on two separate systems that don't interact / trade lots but share the same IP to have some false positive ban occur, and if it does they can just reach out to support about it honestly.

3 hours ago, Naroxas44 said:

They use Discord's Game SDK (loaded in log files, more info about it is here: https://discord.com/developers/docs/game-sdk/sdk-starter-guide). Whether or not they collect data from it separately outside of rich presence activities is unknown to me, but it's also not really a concern. I've played on friend's PCs when visiting with their discord account still logged in before with no issues, and I wouldn't expect it to cause any.

There are much better hardware identifiers to use to detect alt accounts that don't rely on third party services, and they likely use those instead. It's very unlikely for two users on two separate systems that don't interact / trade lots but share the same IP to have some false positive ban occur, and if it does they can just reach out to support about it honestly.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I've never had any false positives, but maybe telling them we were two people on the same connection helped with that. I wouldn't trust DE if they ever had banned us to undo it, as they seem incapable of admitting fault or showing leniency, but I haven't heard of anyone in a similar situation running into problems, anyway.

Hello! 

Firstly, the idea of you playing Warframe with your father is super sweet, I really hope he enjoys it! 

Then, and this is just my opinion, you should be totally totally fine. This won't be the first time this will happen, a lot of people have siblings, cousins, partners, spouses, roommates, best friends, parents, children, so on, who play the same games, with different accounts, together or interacting in some way. To my best understanding? Just be genuine and sincere. Don't be suspicious or duplicitous. Also, don't overthink what I just said... what I mean by that is... There are a lot of ways, and tools, that can be used to compare player activity, behaviour, and so on. To discern between legitimate and sincere behaviour and suspicious and potentially unwanted behaviour. 

I use to work in a completely different field and area to video games, but it did involve having to deal with accounts and account interactions, IP stuff. DE likely has way more advanced technology and tools, but my main point here is... as long as you aren't trying to trick yourself into thinking "Well, I can just pretend to be my own brother, how would they be able to tell?" as far as I can tell, you will be completely fine. Genuinely and sincerely, you'll have no issue. At most, you might just have to potentially talk to Support. Thing is, it should take odd circumstance to even get there. There are a lot of automatic and manual ways to compare and track player behaviour and activity to see normal or irregular behaviour. 

So really just enjoy yourselves! All the best! 

• Like 1