Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

ATTENTION pluralities/systems/tulpamancers/headmates. I have a question for ya'll about how Warframes wear clothes.

(XBOX)Architect Prime

What the: Plurals are people with DID, tulpamancers, "systems", and anyone else with autonomous headmates - be them intentionally made or walk-ins. I'm not talking about mere projections that you'd call imaginary friends. I'm talking about the multi-folk. This is about 1-3% of the population statistically. But anyone with who thinks they can tackle this advanced fashionframe question is welcome. 

Uhhh let's hear it: The question is, and feel free to use this thread to connect since I know how rare systems communities are, my question is just: On the off chance that anyone who has a warframe OR barely human-looking brain-pal, I want to know what kind of outfits can work on different frames. And also how simple clothing can be adapted to fit on different frames and similar shapes. This is kind of an artistic question and I figured that you guys would be THE people to ask about such an issue. ALSO, Does a frame become naky from wearing only a shirt, despite being fully clothed without clothes? All very confusing fashionframe issues. 

*staring blankly: Warframes in regular clothes is an exciting topic and you know it!

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

ALSO, Does a frame become naky from wearing only a shirt, despite being fully clothed without clothes? All very confusing fashionframe issues. 

They are all technically fleshy beings enclosed in an outer metal shell, so it depends on what that counts as. Full bodysuits do exist and count as clothing.

The fun thing about those metal shells is they can have designs and dangly bits (no, not those kind...) that imply clothing, like Vauban's suit or Yareli's whole appearance, so imagine one of those wearing clothing on top of their "clothing". You could also have simpler designs that imply nudity, but I still wouldn't count that as being naked due to the whole bodysuit concept

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

They are all technically fleshy beings enclosed in an outer metal shell, so it depends on what that counts as. Full bodysuits do exist and count as clothing.

The fun thing about those metal shells is they can have designs and dangly bits (no, not those kind...) that imply clothing, like Vauban's suit or Yareli's whole appearance, so imagine one of those wearing clothing on top of their "clothing". You could also have simpler designs that imply nudity, but I still wouldn't count that as being naked due to the whole bodysuit concept

I'm just wondering what would be appropriate or not. It seems like it depends more on the viewer in a weird way. 

Seems like what would look good is subjective, I would give Valkyr jean shorts and a regular white shirt... I don't think footwear would work with frames very well.

Does a frame become naky from wearing only a shirt, despite being fully clothed without clothes? All very confusing fashionframe issues. 

I mean there's already plenty of art out there of clothed frames. There's an artwork of Saryn with a bikini, I mean under the bikini is just Saryn but it looks nsfw so I guess they can look naky depending on what they're wearing.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

What the: Plurals are people with DID, tulpamancers, "systems", and anyone else with autonomous headmates - be them intentionally made or walk-ins. I'm not talking about mere projections that you'd call imaginary friends. I'm talking about the multi-folk. This is about 1-3% of the population statistically. But anyone with who thinks they can tackle this advanced fashionframe question is welcome. 

I realize this is at least the second time you've mentioned these. 

As for what Warframes wear/would wear... 

Lavos looks like he wears lab-related clothes, Yareli has a "dress," Revenant would wear a cloak, and Xaku.... 

He would wear a human.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

As for what Warframes wear/would wear... 

Lavos looks like he wears lab-related clothes, Yareli has a "dress," Revenant would wear a cloak, and Xaku.... 

He would wear a human

Hold up, what are you on about? 
Revenant from Apex is in Warframe now? Wearing skinbags?
Alright, I’ll let you cook, what would Nidus wear?

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

Does a frame become naky from wearing only a shirt, despite being fully clothed without clothes? All very confusing fashionframe issues. 

First of do voices in your head count as headmates? And does it count if the voices that are mostly there is just you talking to yourself since you are simply that lonely?

Anyways, regarding what I quoted. Consider this. Is a cat naked without clothes? If you answer no, what about actually naked cats that have no fur? Why are they specifically labeled as naked if all cats (and other animals with naked races) are naked even when covered in fur?

1 hour ago, Malikili said:

Alright, I’ll let you cook, what would Nidus wear?

He doesnt, he's a naturist. :clem:

As to other frames and what normal clothes they could wear, the only obvious answer is that Grendel would need some form of spandex and frames like Rhino, Volt and the upcoming Qorvex would likely just wear chaps.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

First of do voices in your head count as headmates? And does it count if the voices that are mostly there is just you talking to yourself since you are simply that lonely?

Anyways, regarding what I quoted. Consider this. Is a cat naked without clothes? If you answer no, what about actually naked cats that have no fur? Why are they specifically labeled as naked if all cats (and other animals with naked races) are naked even when covered in fur?

He doesnt, he's a naturist. :clem:

As to other frames and what normal clothes they could wear, the only obvious answer is that Grendel would need some form of spandex and frames like Rhino, Volt and the upcoming Qorvex would likely just wear chaps.

Mmm Grendel spandex

Love it, we need a tennogen of this 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Malikili said:

Mmm Grendel spandex

Love it, we need a tennogen of this 

Grendel in a full shiny Catwoman spandex suit, with cat ears and steampunky goggles. Or it could be made into a top and a bottom (like regular thermo underwear), where the top goes *schnapp!* whenever he eats and exposes his belly. Potentially it could be a Batman spandex suit, or something like The Blob wears in Marvel comics.

Fatman nananananananana Fatman.

• Like 1

Not the target audience, but I'll share my thoughts anyway.

All Warframes are technically naked (even the ones that appear to have clothes, it's best not to think about it too much), but you really can't slap the human concept of nudity on them. You don't think it's weird when just about any other creatures we know of don't wear clothes either (there's an argument to be made for things like hermit crabs, etc. but you get the point). Clothes are essentially just another tool we made, in this case with the main function of protection from the environment, with secondary functions like self-expression, signalling one's status or occupation, and more. The "clothes" seen on many Warframes embody these secondary functions.

Now for adding clothing on top of Warframes: it depends on the frame in question, in much the same way in-game attachments do. Treat what is there and what vaguely looks like clothing as if it were, and feel free to add layers where it would make sense in some way. For example: a lot of frames could wear something extra on their head, but Limbo has an integrated hat, Mesa has different stuff depending on her helmet, Yareli has a hood, etc. So certain "slots" as it were are already filled, limiting what you can do.

It's also somewhat unclear how much of various frames' integrated "clothing" can be considered part of them. I'm getting at the difference between limbs or flaps of skin, and hair or nails (which while definitely attached, we don't particularly mind losing portions of, as they lack sensation, though they're still useful to have). Personally, I'd lean towards the latter, it just makes more sense, especially considering Warframes have rather strong regenerative abilities (see the re-crafted Umbra in the Sacrifice healing his head).

TLDR: frames are all technically naked, but it's not weird. Treat what looks like clothing as if it were, add where it makes sense if you wish to, leave whatever you don't want to cover open. Consider clothes to be like in-game attachments.

• Like 1

Protea - Denim Overalls

Excalibur - Samurai Jack cosplay gi because he's a dweeb (emphasis on the weeb)

Volt - Hastily put together steampunk attire because he wanted to hang out with Gyre

Mag - classic pencil skirt and suit, but with a labcoat overtop

Atlas - Butcher's Apron (only)

Rhino - Full suit of knights armour no matter the occasion

8 hours ago, -Ryuurei- said:

Not the target audience, but I'll share my thoughts anyway.

All Warframes are technically naked (even the ones that appear to have clothes, it's best not to think about it too much), but you really can't slap the human concept of nudity on them. You don't think it's weird when just about any other creatures we know of don't wear clothes either (there's an argument to be made for things like hermit crabs, etc. but you get the point). Clothes are essentially just another tool we made, in this case with the main function of protection from the environment, with secondary functions like self-expression, signalling one's status or occupation, and more. The "clothes" seen on many Warframes embody these secondary functions.

Now for adding clothing on top of Warframes: it depends on the frame in question, in much the same way in-game attachments do. Treat what is there and what vaguely looks like clothing as if it were, and feel free to add layers where it would make sense in some way. For example: a lot of frames could wear something extra on their head, but Limbo has an integrated hat, Mesa has different stuff depending on her helmet, Yareli has a hood, etc. So certain "slots" as it were are already filled, limiting what you can do.

It's also somewhat unclear how much of various frames' integrated "clothing" can be considered part of them. I'm getting at the difference between limbs or flaps of skin, and hair or nails (which while definitely attached, we don't particularly mind losing portions of, as they lack sensation, though they're still useful to have). Personally, I'd lean towards the latter, it just makes more sense, especially considering Warframes have rather strong regenerative abilities (see the re-crafted Umbra in the Sacrifice healing his head).

TLDR: frames are all technically naked, but it's not weird. Treat what looks like clothing as if it were, add where it makes sense if you wish to, leave whatever you don't want to cover open. Consider clothes to be like in-game attachments.

Pretty good points being made here. 

3 hours ago, Olphus said:

Protea - Denim Overalls

Excalibur - Samurai Jack cosplay gi because he's a dweeb (emphasis on the weeb)

Volt - Hastily put together steampunk attire because he wanted to hang out with Gyre

Mag - classic pencil skirt and suit, but with a labcoat overtop

Atlas - Butcher's Apron (only)

Rhino - Full suit of knights armour no matter the occasion

You have some inspirations. 

9 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Not everything is a sentience. If you're getting intusive thoughts, and the sensation is usually unmistakable, then you've got some brewing. But if it's just, kind of like just your usual imagination, then you're singular. 

12 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

I brought this up one other time like five years ago. My other insane rantings have been about different things. 

18 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

I want to know what kind of outfits can work on different frames. And also how simple clothing can be adapted to fit on different frames and similar shapes.

Got a touch of DID. Not sure it's gonna have particular relevance to this answer here and it's not something I usually share publically, but I'll give what thoughts occur. Warframes are a kind of streamlined ideal - they're hero figures, Idolized and dehumanized in equally distinct ways.  Some have distinct clothing, some have simple utilitarian forms. They lack any parts necessitating clothing for modesty so it's all about their visage. Like statues, it's sculpted into them. We could see this as a source of turmoil - Take Excal Umbra as an example, as he was a person warframe-ified against his will, though we know some became the Orokin's warriors by their own will and considered it an honor, voulenteering willingly. (Gara)  By those two examples you could imagine Gara would take pride in the adornments she was granted being part of her, and forgo wearing other clothing, considering it undignified and needless when she's been uplifted to her new state by her own choice wheras Umbra might long to don his old dax gear and syandana (but be sadly denied this - or worse, be unable to bear looking at it from the betrayal his masters carried out upon him) I'd say he does have the bestial "I've truly become a monster" leaning where he'd probably feel there's no point wearing clothing now he's non-human.

Ultimately, it's going to depend on the context of the artistic endeavour in question. Target audience, Tone, Etc. That one piece of artwork of base Excal in a lumberjack outfit is pretty good, but that's drawing from a place I'd say is much more lackadaisical than my previous examples. How do you envision the personality of the person behind the statue's appearance at face value? There's subtlety there that's fun to think about.  I think if they're depicted as frames, I'd say they don't need an outfit. But - you could envision the people those frames once were, and what they were like, and would wear. Basically this becomes more appealing conceptually when you take away the facelessness. Maybe those individuals had fascinating idiosyncrasies versus the frames they became. That's where my curiosity leads. It's a bit of a lore/background context sensitive take, which might not be what you were going for but that's what comes to mind.

Edited by Nobodys-Perfect
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nobodys-Perfect said:

Got a touch of DID. Not sure it's gonna have particular relevance to this answer here and it's not something I usually share publically, but I'll give what thoughts occur. Warframes are a kind of streamlined ideal - they're hero figures, Idolized and dehumanized in equally distinct ways.  Some have distinct clothing, some have simple utilitarian forms. They lack any parts necessitating clothing for modesty so it's all about their visage. Like statues, it's sculpted into them. We could see this as a source of turmoil - Take Excal Umbra as an example, as he was a person warframe-ified against his will, though we know some became the Orokin's warriors by their own will and considered it an honor, voulenteering willingly. (Gara)  By those two examples you could imagine Gara would take pride in the adornments she was granted being part of her, and forgo wearing other clothing, considering it undignified and needless when she's been uplifted to her new state by her own choice wheras Umbra might long to don his old dax gear and syandana (but be sadly denied this - or worse, be unable to bear looking at it from the betrayal his masters carried out upon him) I'd say he does have the bestial "I've truly become a monster" leaning where he'd probably feel there's no point wearing clothing now he's non-human.

Ultimately, it's going to depend on the context of the artistic endeavour in question. Target audience, Tone, Etc. That one piece of artwork of base Excal in a lumberjack outfit is pretty good, but that's drawing from a place I'd say is much more lackadaisical than my previous examples. How do you envision the personality of the person behind the statue's appearance at face value? There's subtlety there that's fun to think about.  I think if they're depicted as frames, I'd say they don't need an outfit. But - you could envision the people those frames once were, and what they were like, and would wear. Basically this becomes more appealing conceptually when you take away the facelessness. Maybe those individuals had fascinating idiosyncrasies versus the frames they became. That's where my curiosity leads. It's a bit of a lore/background context sensitive take, which might not be what you were going for but that's what comes to mind.

Complete. Comprehensive. 

8 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

It felt very similar to the whole "tulpa frame" discussion.

Ohhhhhh the summoner frame that's like monk who summons tulpas. How do you remember that? It happened forever ago! In any event, the entire topic is incredibly untapped imo, and I know they're dressing up their wacky creations, so they'd know how to fit an outfit on a weird body. 

Ohhhhhh the summoner frame that's like monk who summons tulpas. How do you remember that? It happened forever ago! 

My long term memory can be very good, especially if whatever it recorded was unique so seeing the word "tulpa" on forums reminded me of the only other time I saw said word.

• Like 1