Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Warframe + Voidshell Skin?

(XBOX)EntrTheLight

So there are a couple things I would like to say here.  Firstly, I really have come to like the Voidshell skin packages and would like to ask for more.  More specifically, I would like Ash + Zephyr to have one of these skins as well.

And next I would like to ask, are we ever going to get a second umbra warframe?  I don't necessarily want every frame to have an Umbral counterpart, but as far as I'm aware, we only got Excalibur.  Excalibur is great, but there are a couple of frames I would like to be 'Umbra-fied'... Ash and Frost are the two I think of when thinking of Umbra.  Rhino is also an option too... although me personally would love an Ash variant.  

Those would be my picks for next Umbra warframe if we have any more (which we should, 1 doesn't seem like enough).  What frame would you like 'Umbra-fied'?

more Voidshell skins will happen, most likely: if I had to guess, DE like to develop them quietly and then release them with smaller updates, because it's something DE can use as "filler" in smaller updates to pad them out a bit more. as for which frames get picked, I guess maybe it goes by popularity, but I could be wrong.

as for Umbra, it's pretty much just a way to give non-founders an enhanced version of Excalibur at the end of the day, and he's explained in-universe as being a one-of-a-kind, made from, and specifically to, punish the Dax that Ballas felt had betrayed him. I certainly wouldn't say no to more Umbra frames if DE were willing to, but I believe they said on record that they don't intend to make any more.

8 hours ago, (XBOX)ShadowBlood89 said:

no there will only ever be 1 umbra warframe.
DE did have a system on PC that gave other warframe the sentience ability like Umbra where they would move around an fight while in operator/drifter.
but players really didnt like it

Citation needed; never heard of this a single time, nor does the wiki say anything about this... plus, I genuinely wanna know more about this if true because I've been wanting this kinda system for some of my other frames for a while, and if they ran some kinda test then I'm curious to the reasons why it didn't work.

43 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Thank you! Okay, so with listening to that and doing research, it never actually made it -into- the game, but given the way it's described, I can see why people wouldn't have liked that particular implementation; having to farm up the items for a single day use of it when it may or may not be what they want out of it is... not great; sure it's similar to the invigorations we eventually got, but those iirc last for a week? And even then I'm pretty sure they're the less popular of the three current uses of Helminth's chair? If it were something closer to the shards or the ability subsuming, I feel like it might be better received; especially since it's been four and a half years and a -lot- has changed.

2 hours ago, MagicalGirlMimi said:

Citation needed; never heard of this a single time, nor does the wiki say anything about this... plus, I genuinely wanna know more about this if true because I've been wanting this kinda system for some of my other frames for a while, and if they ran some kinda test then I'm curious to the reasons why it didn't work.

The reason people didn’t like it? When Umbra gains “sentience” while in operator, he just despawns the normal Warframe and spawns a Spector. Doing so gets rid of all of the buffs you worked so hard to get, along with disabling abilities so you have to cast again. 
Not to mention the AI is worse than an infested crawler. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malikili said:

The reason people didn’t like it? When Umbra gains “sentience” while in operator, he just despawns the normal Warframe and spawns a Spector. Doing so gets rid of all of the buffs you worked so hard to get, along with disabling abilities so you have to cast again. 

huh, the more you know; I guess it makes sense, I never played around with Umbra after he was able to get buffs and most of the time I stay in transference long enough that it'd wear off anyway; I don't have a problem with the AI personally for Umbra, but yeah, they'd probably have to make a lot of backend changes before introducing it; I never knew this though, ty for pointing it out!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MagicalGirlMimi said:

huh, the more you know; I guess it makes sense, I never played around with Umbra after he was able to get buffs and most of the time I stay in transference long enough that it'd wear off anyway; I don't have a problem with the AI personally for Umbra, but yeah, they'd probably have to make a lot of backend changes before introducing it; I never knew this though, ty for pointing it out!

You’re very welcome, this is the only reason people don’t like Umbra (well the main reason anyway). I personally use him over the base because of his beautiful scarf. 

8 hours ago, Malikili said:

I’m pretty disappointed I have to farm out normal Excalibur, and build him up because of the issues with Umbra. I actually kind of enjoy playing Excal too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Pretty sure Excalibur Umbra exists specifically to give non-Founders a way to have Excalibur Prime, since he's functionally identical (same stats, abilities all do the same thing, etc). Basically: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/can-i-copy-your-homework

little more to it though, suffice it was pushed as a sidegrade so non founders can have an excal upgrade, however there are notes from various devstreams that more umbras will follow (if limited in pool who gets an alternative)

i believe the Umbra Megathreads FAQ and NEWS sections will be most helpful to answer those wondering

quick TLDR

in regards to umbra frames are the frames to follow excalibur umbra , due to covid 19 , various projects were shelved as the team had to remote work and focus on what they could do, since they have had a big restructure in staffing and whos' on what game (heck steve is ceo now) . many things were brought up and with limited resources/time/staffing the team is focusing on what they can deliver . Pablo said as much recently and no more reworks , however... hydroid and a few others came after that showing as things allowed the side projects would get work on them when given opportunity. tenno kai might be a step in the devil trigger system brought up to replace channeling system (still up for debate) 

Echos of the Umbra has been shelved for now (possibly being implemented later in new way later on due to its player dislike of major grind with minimal reward) 
Devstream 58:  it was stated that "UMBRAS ARE COMING TO GLOBAL, STARTING OFF WITH EXCALIBUR UMBRA" per reb/sheldon reading rebs document iirc
Devstream 125:  confirmed more umbra warframes would be coming to warframe in the future, currently discussed is non lore deployment "We have had internal discussions about creating new : Umbra Warframes, but there are no plans yet! It isn’t likely that any new ones would be lore dependent like Excalibur Umbra."
Devstream 152 : umbra's are shelved for now, as other tasks/projects have a higher priority at this time, as of now none are in development stages, but they are still in the plans for the games future. 

• Like 2