The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Playing Older Versions?

Mahlyath

I have been playing Warframe for a while now, and from all the changes this game has had over the years the thought dawned on me: what if we could play the older versions of this game? Now i'm not talking 3 years ago, or around the Sacrifice update where the game still looks like where its at now. I'm talking back in the game's early development. Back when Loki was of the main 3 choices, where the bosses like Vey Hek weren't even developed yet, before there was a real story and you were just a robot ninja killing and farming. Back when the orokin derelict was still around. I highly doubt it would be possible to recreate older versions of the game but I think it would be pretty cool, it would be a large project in and of itself. Like Minecraft where the game has a list of snapshots of the older versions and you can play on the launch menu.

I think the closest thing we have to that is Dark Sector, as that was the predecessor to Warframe.

there's only one Question that comes with it - where's the financial incentive. in order to maintain a second legacy build of the game (yes, maintain, it would have to receive Hotfixes and such periodically, to fix problems).... where's the income going to come from to pay for it.

like 1% of Players are going to want to play it, so no Forma is probably not going to make it financially logical to support.

• Like 1

I don't think think there's a market for "Warframe Classic", especially when it has so much less to do and complete. There's also very little cut content from Warframe, so those small bits of history could just be added into the live build.

It would be nice to participate in some historical content though, like Raids or specific events.

• Like 2

It would be a very interesting experiment to have some kind of anniversary event where a separate instance of the game was temporarily spun up, one that was running one of the early, early builds. Just so people could see how far the game has come. Let that run for a few weeks. 

I mean, it won't happen, because that sounds like a lot of work if they didn't keep a backup of it around, but it doesn't stop me from think it's a cool idea. 

• Like 1

It wouldn't just be as easy as loading up update 20 or whatever even if they have that backup up still somewhere. Lots of mods and equipment didn't even exist back then. What would they do, make a copy of your account, but delete any mods, frames, and anything else that didn't exist back then like Drifter? Oh, and your orbiter is now either really screwed up or bare because it was a different size back then and the port side room wasn't open yet and there was ho hobo camp. Archon shards are gone, lich and sister weapons gone, no Bramma. Half of the companions are gone and don't forget your kubrows will die if you don't medicate them. All those forma that were given out at times when frames were reworked? Yeah, give those back too.

But even if they just loaded up an old version that happened to be relatively bug free and didn't update it, it would still be a massive headache. I'd rather they keep working on fixing current bugs and adding to the game.

• Like 2