The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Friend accidentally started Kuva Lich unknowingly. Anyway out of it?

TheCrimsonAlch

Question

My friend is fairly new to the game and I've been helping him through the star chart, story, and mod progression. Not knowing what he was getting himself into, he attacked the marked Kuva Larvling and started the Lich hunt. What does this mean for him? Can he get out of it? Will the Lich leave entirely after x-amount of failed attempts? Do I need to help him through this ASAP so the Lich doesn't get to lvl 5?!?! I only got my first Kuva weapon a few days ago and don't know all the mechanics. Can the thralls/Lich spawn in fissures, sorties, etc on Earth while that node is under the Lich's control?

9 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, TheCrimsonAlch said:

My friend is fairly new to the game and I've been helping him through the star chart, story, and mod progression. Not knowing what he was getting himself into, he attacked the marked Kuva Larvling and started the Lich hunt. What does this mean for him? Can he get out of it? Will the Lich leave entirely after x-amount of failed attempts? Do I need to help him through this ASAP so the Lich doesn't get to lvl 5?!?! I only got my first Kuva weapon a few days ago and don't know all the mechanics. Can the thralls/Lich spawn in fissures, sorties, etc on Earth while that node is under the Lich's control?

He can ignore the thing if he doesn't mind him stealing things from him.  I did that for 18 months for my first lich (back when they used to have unlimited leveling and could pollute the whole of the origin map). 

Otherwise the only way out of it is to solve and kill/subdue it. 

• Like 1

Sadly, there's no "forfeit lich" button despite how much of a quality of life improvement (especially for new player experience) that would be, because there's a stalwart subsection of the community that throws a tantrum at the mere suggestion of it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheCrimsonAlch said:

Can he get out of it?

Only one way out.
A quick trip to Spotify/Youtube, some cracked knuckles and one HELL of a vendetta!
... that is to say "no, kill it", in case that was too subtle.

I got some personal picks if ya need something to listen to while making some holes in some targets!~

1 hour ago, Hexerin said:

because there's a stalwart subsection of the community that throws a tantrum at the mere suggestion of it.

Ah, the infamous "DE did nothing wrong!" part of the community.
As bright as a bag of wet mice and with all the grotesque impact from swinging it.
Arguably the cause of 33% of my problems with the game. Another 33% is the fact that DE keeps listening to them.
The last 33% is simply just the fact that we're still fighting the same garbage 10 years later.

You wanna know what's an actual headache to kill? THOSE PEOPLE.
Though, the word "people" is a bit generous. I'll just use it for the sake of being polite!

I cannot tell you how many amazing things we could've had if they just shut up and realize that the game is gonna change.
If it has to change (and it will), why not for the better? Why not be pragmatic and say "Yeah, the game could use more engaging mechanics."

One cannot stress how Melee has been stripped of everything that made it interesting time and time again.
It gets something cool and than it gets punted to the horizon because some people can't understand basic inputs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MBaldelli said:

He can ignore the thing if he doesn't mind him stealing things from him.

Have in mind it is not actually stealing, more like borrowing. Once it is killed/connverted he/she returns everything.

4 hours ago, TheCrimsonAlch said:

Do I need to help him through this ASAP so the Lich doesn't get to lvl 5

Lich will not level if you do not do his missions/grab Murmur.

4 hours ago, TheCrimsonAlch said:

Can the thralls/Lich spawn in fissures, sorties, etc on Earth while that node is under the Lich's control?

Spawn no, but he will steal stuff everywhere.

PS: It is always accidentally. I doubt huge Pop-up would help.

Edited by Zakkhar
  • Like 1

Hello there. Firstly, its really sweet and kind you are helping your friend progress. 

Secondly is there a worry or concern you have? As far as Lichs? They can be annoying to some, sure but there really aren't longterm negatives. Its a gameplay feature, not a punishment. You can ignore Liches if you want, yes they steal some resources, but you get all of them when you defeat them. Meaning, Liches only stay in their respective gameplay nodes, wherever they are current located. They won't appear in other modes or missions, Sorties, Fissures etc (well there is a certain exception, but its not relevant to your friend, and its more of a positive benefit). 

If your friend doesn't have the Requiem Mods, or the will to fight a Lich right now, totally fine to just ignore them. Eventually, it will be a fun net gain situation, when you have the tools, arsenal, and ability to kill Liches, get some new powerful weapons, possible Ephemera cosmetics, and some other stuff, and you'll both be able to kill Liches in less than an hour, and be more concerned that the percentage of the weapon you wanted was under 30%, and wondering how fast you can one shot the Lich, then you'll get nostalgic for when you both though Liches were challenging or threatening. 

Think of them like the Stalker, but instead of broody edgy threats, they are goofy jokesters (well some of the Kuva Liches can be more serious in tone). Killing Bosses will eventually make Stalker target you, when you do, but its a gameplay mechanic. People usually don't avoid progression and killing bosses, because they are worried about the Stalker. You just try and deal with them as a new player and then later want it to happen so you can get the drops, and then eventually just take care of them in less than 10 seconds.

Best of all though, is hunting and killing Liches is definitely more fun with a friend, so my general recommendation, would be to help your friend progress more, until they finish the star chart map, and then when they comfortable fighting Sedna/Kuva Fortress level enemies, then you both consider killing their Lich. Specifically when you can both grind for the Requiem Mods. 

Good luck as well!

• Like 1

if you're at the level of game where you have done the war within and unlocked these things then you should be at the level where you can kill them. If you focus a little you can take them out in less than an hour, getting as many murmers as possible and unlocking the known requiems and then running missions until it spawns and taking your chances you've got the parazon mods in the right order.

the trick really is to know what the mods you need are. Do not stab the lich randomly because it will level up and a level 5 lich can be quite annoyingly hard. And will lurk on the Kuva fortress which can be equally annoying.

On 2024-02-12 at 9:17 PM, TheCrimsonAlch said:

If he ignores the lich it'll stay on Earth.  It can steal any rewards from an Earth mission,  except relic rewards.       Thralls only appear in kuva lich missions.    Liches only spawn in lich missions.   It won't level up unless he stabs it and fails or fully clears all the lich nodes on the planet.

The biggest risk with leaving the lich on Earth is the potential to steal archon shards from the Boreal hunt.   If you don't know what that is,  then this wouldn't matter to your friend yet.    

Everything stolen will be returned when the lich is defeated. 

There is no way to get rid of i,  unfortuantely.