Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(PAX Q&A) There was a question about Drifter melee in Core gameplay, I'm wondering how this would effect Operators.

Zahnrad

I don't have exact timestamps, but I believe it was the second to last question before the stream ended. The question was roughly about being able to use Drifter melee outside of Duviri or in Core gameplay which Rebecca seemed like she wasn't against the idea.

My problem is, I prefer to use my Operator over the Drifter, I know many people are the opposite. For me it's because I'm more familiar with the Operator, though I understand even after The Second Dream came out people weren't fond of their character being a kid.

Also, Operator randomly gives chatter in missions where as Drifter doesn't if you choose to use the Drifter.

I bring this up because while I prefer to use my Operator, I feel like having Drifter melee would potentially exclude players who use their Operator, and I don't think it's worth setting up a whole new system for Operator melee.

My solution would be if we could swap between the two mid-mission.

Or if you choose to use the Operator, your Operator and Drifter would switch places during Melee attacks. Similarly to how you instantly transfer to your Warframe if you Melee while in Operator form, and then switch back to your Operator when aiming/shooting. I feel like this would all around feel cooler and more impactful for your Drifter to be on-call like that.

Since the Drifter already has Ranged and Melee hooked up, choosing to use Drifter could simply just ignore the Operator entirely if that's what you'd prefer.

P.S. while on the topic of the Drifter, can we get more Guns in Duviri please? I wouldn't mind a Musket or Blunderbuss.

Edited by Zahnny
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

I bring this up because while I prefer to use my Operator, I feel like having Drifter melee would potentially exclude players who use their Operator, and I don't think it's worth setting up a whole new system for Operator melee

I rather they focus on the Drifter then the kid to be honest, same reason why I think people want the Drifter heads on the Warframes like Aio and Auther, since they are both adults and can fit the frame better 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

Also, Operator randomly gives chatter in missions where as Drifter doesn't if you choose to use the Drifter.

You can turn it off. I think it turns off most operator dialoges (probably some quests or something). Well, if someone doesn't like it.

59 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

My problem is, I prefer to use my Operator over the Drifter, I know many people are the opposite. For me it's because I'm more familiar with the Operator, though I understand even after The Second Dream came out people weren't fond of their character being a kid.

I bring this up because while I prefer to use my Operator, I feel like having Drifter melee would potentially exclude players who use their Operator, and I don't think it's worth setting up a whole new system for Operator melee.

I think you are not preferring "Operator" or "Drifter" but rather gameplay where those 2 characters are. You cannot just compare operator & drifter (in duviri) in Vacuum.

Operator is oriented about some mid-range combat with some teleportation (void sling).

On other hand Drifter is about close combat. You have all interaction between you and oponent (e.g. roll to avoid attack, counter attack etc)

1 hour ago, Zahnny said:

Or if you choose to use the Operator, your Operator and Drifter would switch places during Melee attacks. Similarly to how you instantly transfer to your Warframe if you Melee while in Operator form, and then switch back to your Operator when aiming/shooting. I feel like this would all around feel cooler and more impactful for your Drifter to be on-call like that.

Well, "rule of cool" is one thing. It would look nice. Not gonna lie.

However simply slapping Drifter melee combat in game mode that is completely different is wrong solution. You would end up with "flash moves" that does less than just normal amp attacks.

And we have operator > frame change on melee attack. I think such interaction should be improved (e.g. operator slams to work) and improved/changed (e.g. add some other interactions).

ps. and I like drifter gameplay in Duviri but I still wouldn't like it in normal game modes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, quxier said:

ps. and I like drifter gameplay in Duviri but I still wouldn't like it in normal game modes.

That's honestly my feeling too. I'm not sure I want Drifter Melee myself, but this is more of a hypothetical "if this is going to happen regardless" type of deal for me.

En 22/3/2024 a las 16:48, Zahnny dijo:

Can you explain to me what is the point of using the melee with the drifter outside of the aesthetics? The animation is slow, the damage is crappy and I doubt DE will decide to add mods to the drifter's weapons.

I'm not trying to insult you or anything, I just want to get the idea. There is nothing more to say. 

Edited by CosoMalvadoNG

On 2024-03-22 at 4:48 PM, Zahnny said:

The question was roughly about being able to use Drifter melee outside of Duviri or in Core gameplay which Rebecca seemed like she wasn't against the idea.

Sounds like an argument to bring back Void Blast for operators.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CosoMalvadoNG said:

Can you explain to me what is the point of using the melee with the drifter outside of the aesthetics? The animation is slow, the damage is crappy and I doubt DE will decide to add mods to the drifter's weapons.

I'm not trying to insult you or anything, I just want to get the idea. There is nothing more to say. 

It's not something I in particularly want. It's more of "If this does come anyway, I'd rather the Operator didn't get excluded."

On 2024-03-22 at 9:48 PM, Zahnny said:

That would not work due to the lore. We are after the events of TNW a singular again as the two merge to occupy reality. That we can pick either to look like is because DE didnt want to give us a far too impactful choice that would practically remove alot of potential plat purchase options and so on that players were invested in.

The option for operator could be solved by bringing back void blast at that point. So instead of swinging the melee they might be void punching/kicking/head butting things and the damage is based on the melee equipped. They could in reality make a "stance" based on the weapon class equipped that determines the martial arts pattern of the operator. It wouldnt be much more different than how we have both sparring and fist weapons for frames, they could base it on those stances really. And then you have access to the duviri special attack based on the weapon you use.

I'd rather not see this happen but I'd like to see some sort of revision on Operator/Drifter combat on the main star chart if this is something thats decided to come into the game.

I've even seen requests for our Drifter to just be turned into a "Protoframe" like in WF1999, where the warframe just becomes like a suit he/she can change in and out of.

But I highly doubt this scenario happening. I personally see "Proto Warframes" being a limited/restricted number of warframes total. You won't see 57+ Warframes become Protos. 

I'm suspecting it will be the Launch Roster at maximum getting the "Proto" treatment, since they are the orgional warframes we had access too and it would be very fitting for them since they are the oldest frames in-game.

But then your likely going to need voice actors for each warframe along with it as they could be tied to cinematic quests/lore. 

It might be too much to do with everything else they're working on. 

This whole Drifter-Proto stuff could open multiple can of worms for Warframe development 😅

Edited by Cram_Duahcim

28 minutes ago, Cram_Duahcim said:

I'm suspecting it will be the Launch Roster at maximum getting the "Proto" treatment, since they are the orgional warframes we had access too and it would be very fitting for them since they are the oldest frames in-game.

But then your likely going to need voice actors for each warframe along with it as they could be tied to cinematic quests/lore.

I personally suspect either 3-4 Protoframes but I could be wrong.

Excalibur (check) Mag (check) and Volt

Since they are the three starter frames. However, there could be a chance Loki could get one since he used to be a Starter Warframe

5 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

Since they are the three starter frames. However, there could be a chance Loki could get one since he used to be a Starter Warframe

It'll be a limited amount either way. I'm thinking at maximum they'll do the launch roster but thats also a guess.

I can totally see a max of 4 and Loki would (and should) be the 4th.

5 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

It'll be a limited amount either way. I'm thinking at maximum they'll do the launch roster but thats also a guess.

How about we don't and say that we did so dev time won't be wasted on pedantic content that won't really provide much in terms of gameplay for all the investment the devs would have to do to make it remotely functional on just a technical aspect. You solution even requires them to jump through a ton of hoops to rectify Operator v. Drifter. A whole system created from scratch for this, not including how they would even map that control wise for both keyboard and controller, the balancing cause the drifter is nowhere near as mobile and fluid as a WF, and the damage. Their time is much better suited reworking old tilesets or giving Caliban (and other frames) some deserved TLC. 

17 minutes ago, Cram_Duahcim said:

If 1999 is supposed to be a soft retread of the Original WF/Dark Sector then we can't count out Nyx and Trinity. Hell, they could bs Chroma since he was a boss in Dark Sector. Oh and also Jackal. We could see it again too. That would be interesting.

Edited by PR1D3