The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

State of the game as of May 2024

When the new lighting system was implemented two months ago me and my friends decided to leave Warframe for some time. The reasons were numerous - from small, like the new lighting being just ugly and very un-warframy, to serious like constant crashing, severe overheating and drastic FPS drops we all encountered. Now I came back, probing the game whether things have improved and... it crashed ten seconds after logging in, when I turned towards Liset's back and the hideous blue mist.

So here's my question to the community: has anything improved since then? Did the overheating, extreme memory leaks and, most of all, FPS stability go back to what was before? Can the new lighting system be turned off at last? Is there an option to open the window to vent that smoke? I'll continue to test the game, but I won't have much time for an extensive test. Is it reliably playable by now, without the risk of crash every thirty minutes?

Thanks in advance for sharing your current experience.

Posted (edited)

Have an RTX 3060. I'm using DLSS's Performance Mode and have all other graphical options set to max. 1440p Resolution. Game runs silky smooth and my GPU fans don't even speed up. Not a single crash ever since I started playing this year.

When I played the game 2 years ago it was a choppy mess.

Edit: I was using an AMD card back then though... can't remember the model.

Edited by Himerance

3 hours ago, Psianide73 said:

I noticed my gpu temps were higher than with any other game when I used Nvidia DLSS in quality mode. Set it to balanced and temps have returned to normal. 

That explains why my GPU Driver was crashing after using DLSS.

4 hours ago, Fenicis said:

hideous blue mist... Can the new lighting system be turned off at last?

Yeah, things went back to normal for me once I turned off "Dynamic Lighting" in the video options. New cpu, old gpu and monitor, stable 60 fps.

• Like 1

Every mainline update they fk something up with the lighting EVERY SINGLE TIME. WHY? 

Why does the lighting need to be totally changed every single update, to the point of making paints look an entirely different color?

• Like 1

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Fenicis:

When the new lighting system was implemented two months ago me and my friends decided to leave Warframe for some time. The reasons were numerous - from small, like the new lighting being just ugly and very un-warframy, to serious like constant crashing, severe overheating and drastic FPS drops we all encountered. Now I came back, probing the game whether things have improved and... it crashed ten seconds after logging in, when I turned towards Liset's back and the hideous blue mist.

So here's my question to the community: has anything improved since then? Did the overheating, extreme memory leaks and, most of all, FPS stability go back to what was before? Can the new lighting system be turned off at last? Is there an option to open the window to vent that smoke? I'll continue to test the game, but I won't have much time for an extensive test. Is it reliably playable by now, without the risk of crash every thirty minutes?

there are definitely new bugs. Duviri is still barely playable most of the time.
and in any case there are strong fps drops. I have turned off at least 2 graphic options so that it is somehow playable.

Thank you for your replies, guys. To make Liset somewhat bearable I had to turn off dynamic and volumetric lighting and fog. The one problem remains, though, that especially on some maps (like Sanctum Anatomica and its nodes) the game is both extremelly dark with patches of solid black and blindingly bright, with colors being flat and very faint, barely noticeable. I tried every fog and lighting option, including contrast setting which didn't solve it at all, is there anything to be done to combat this opressive darkness?

Also, is there a way to turn off that horrible pseudo lens flare on buttons (like Liset's consoles, Nora, Crafting, Arsenal etc) or on Helminth's flowers? They look as if I was wearing a really greasy pair of glasses...

I'll pass your sugestions to my pals.

• Like 1

vor 24 Minuten schrieb Fenicis:

Thank you for your replies, guys. To make Liset somewhat bearable I had to turn off dynamic and volumetric lighting and fog. The one problem remains, though, that especially on some maps (like Sanctum Anatomica and its nodes) the game is both extremelly dark with patches of solid black and blindingly bright, with colors being flat and very faint, barely noticeable. I tried every fog and lighting option, including contrast setting which didn't solve it at all, is there anything to be done to combat this opressive darkness?

Also, is there a way to turn off that horrible pseudo lens flare on buttons (like Liset's consoles, Nora, Crafting, Arsenal etc) or on Helminth's flowers? They look as if I was wearing a really greasy pair of glasses...

maybe video->visual effects? and you can preview it here.

vor 17 Stunden schrieb C11H22O1:

Game hasn't really changed for me and I tend to not have many issues with the game, playing on Xbox series X

Same here on series s. I literally can't remember the last time to game crashed or I encountered a serious bug.

PC masterrace at it's finest, I guess. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Venus-Venera said:

not everybody has overprice first class pc.... in my country you must work hard to get playable hardware

I had to work hard and slowly upgraded my PC over time.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fenicis said:

Are your drivers up to date? Caches cleared? Game cache optimized and verified in the launcher?

Most that changed with their lighting improvements were with the volumetric fog if set to max instead of medium. If I were you I'd also probably try the game in both DX11 and DX12 if you have crash issues, and potentially cap your frame rate if you arent already.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb _Eclips3_:

I had to work hard and slowly upgraded my PC over time.

That's still not enough because hardware is outdated too quickly. and mainboard, memory, cpu, graphics card etc. all have to be at a similar level because they form synergy...

48 minutes ago, Fenicis said:

Can you post screenshots? 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Venus-Venera said:

That's still not enough because hardware is outdated too quickly. and mainboard, memory, cpu, graphics card etc. all have to be at a similar level because they form synergy...

Not really. I had a 4080 Super and 3200mhz (pretty slow) of 64gb ram with a 5800X3D, all of which are pretty old (except the 4080 Super) and gave me the 300+ performance. I just upgraded my motherboard, CPU and RAM to the latest and I still get similar performance. Old hardware from 4 years ago is enough depending on what it is what what role it plays.

Edited by _Eclips3_

1 hour ago, Fenicis said:

I'm not encountering anything resembling the issues you're describing. Tell us your hardware, maybe someone can point out a compatibility issue.

20 hours ago, Fenicis said:

Probally its your pc with something wrong.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Venus-Venera said:

there are definitely new bugs. Duviri is still barely playable most of the time.
and in any case there are strong fps drops. I have turned off at least 2 graphic options so that it is somehow playable.

I have to ask this because, from my observation, you have the most negative experience of any player in this game: what system are you running this game on and what are your specs and settings? 

Or are you just a naturally strong pessimist that loves things but hates things about something you love to hate in the game, while hating what you love to hate to love? 🤣

Update on the situation:

First of all, I'm running Ryzen 5 5600 with RTX3060 and 16gb ram. Currently I only have problem with Warframe and no other game or program. I tried all the standard things, like drivers update, optimizing/integrity checking etc. before posting here, I wouldn't bother you guys if I hadn't, but thanks for your concern. I was having crashing and heating problems personally, my friends experience FPS drops (their configurations vary, but none are older than three years). However I did some tests and discovered something peculiar about some of the settings...

Sometimes when I change some particular settings, after hitting confirm the game freezes for half a second, and sometimes it goes smoothly back, independedly on what it was set before. If it goes smooth it will crash. Usually within 10-15 seconds of wandering on the ship, sometimes have to start a mission and usually it crashes within first minutes, then. If that slight freeze happens it will not crash - or at least that setting seems to not cause crashing anymore. It happens mostly on: Shadow Quality, Dynamic Lighting, Velumetric Lighting, Local Reflections, Volumetric Fog Quality and Glare. After setting and confirming with all slightly-lagged attempts, it stopped crashing all together for me, tested on two hours of gameplay. Could it be that sometimes, when you confirm the changes, the game fails to load the correct setting pool, maybe loads it partially, and then when it's needed to happen it crashes?

Also, as Psianide73 sugested right, I should have posted some screenshots on the effects, so sorry for the late update, but here they are:

Pseudo lens flares (Is there a way to erase these?):

Spoiler

Warframe0055.jpgWarframe0056.jpg

And about the darkness, it seems to be happening mostly, but not exclusively, in Sanctum Anatomica tileset. That tileset also has problems with colors being faint, while white and black are very strong, examples below.

Spoiler

Warframe0059.jpg

Spoiler

Warframe0057.jpg

Thank you once again everyone.

45 minutes ago, Fenicis said:

Update on the situation:

First of all, I'm running Ryzen 5 5600 with RTX3060 and 16gb ram. Currently I only have problem with Warframe and no other game or program. I tried all the standard things, like drivers update, optimizing/integrity checking etc. before posting here, I wouldn't bother you guys if I hadn't, but thanks for your concern. I was having crashing and heating problems personally, my friends experience FPS drops (their configurations vary, but none are older than three years). However I did some tests and discovered something peculiar about some of the settings...

Sometimes when I change some particular settings, after hitting confirm the game freezes for half a second, and sometimes it goes smoothly back, independedly on what it was set before. If it goes smooth it will crash. Usually within 10-15 seconds of wandering on the ship, sometimes have to start a mission and usually it crashes within first minutes, then. If that slight freeze happens it will not crash - or at least that setting seems to not cause crashing anymore. It happens mostly on: Shadow Quality, Dynamic Lighting, Velumetric Lighting, Local Reflections, Volumetric Fog Quality and Glare. After setting and confirming with all slightly-lagged attempts, it stopped crashing all together for me, tested on two hours of gameplay. Could it be that sometimes, when you confirm the changes, the game fails to load the correct setting pool, maybe loads it partially, and then when it's needed to happen it crashes?

Also, as Psianide73 sugested right, I should have posted some screenshots on the effects, so sorry for the late update, but here they are:

Pseudo lens flares (Is there a way to erase these?):

Reveal hidden contents

Warframe0055.jpgWarframe0056.jpg

And about the darkness, it seems to be happening mostly, but not exclusively, in Sanctum Anatomica tileset. That tileset also has problems with colors being faint, while white and black are very strong, examples below.

Hide contents

Warframe0059.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Warframe0057.jpg

Thank you once again everyone.

Great samples, thanks for this. Take a look at your dynamic range settings. If it's showing 13-255, change it to 0-255 and then adjust your contrast ratio to reflect the new color range. Hopefully that is the issue. 

16 hours ago, (PSN)GEN-Son_17 said:

Great samples, thanks for this. Take a look at your dynamic range settings. If it's showing 13-255, change it to 0-255 and then adjust your contrast ratio to reflect the new color range. Hopefully that is the issue. 

HDR options are grayed out for me, my monitor does not support HDR. After two more hours of playing I can confirm that this excessive darkness and color palette problems are most visible in Sanctum maps. On other tilesets (tested Gas City, Earth Jungle, old Corpus and Grineer ships insides) they exist too, but rarely and not as badly as in Sanctum. At least the crashing ceased - for me at least.

I think I'll just change colors of all my frames and equipment and try to play like that. Today we concluded that Warframe lost its graphical identity, looking generically modern right now, which drives away three of us.

Well, thank you very much once again. I'll see you between the stars, Tenno~