Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dog Days 2024!

[DE]Taylor

Funnily enough, Dog Days this year is actually fun because they decided to lift the stupid 'Only Get Pearls on Kill' rule that they were soa strangely adamant about. Not sure why. 

Now I can just hop in and chill by occasionally splashing a whole group and get 5 pearls, instead of having to play solo to get the rewards, hyper sweat in public to get the kills needed, or bore myself to death by just AFK leeching. 

• Like 2

By reducing the end of mission reward from 50 to 30, now you need to score at least 20 kills to get more Pearls than last year.
Thus, this change made the event even worse if you play with a squad due the kill steals, encouraging people to afk even more rounds since they take longer to get pearls for items that still cost 250+ pearls.

And that is without taking account new players that will have to play this literally two hundred times or more to get all the items, or wait until next year.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MobyTheDuck said:

now you need to score at least 20 kills to get more Pearls than last year

No? You just need 10.

People who kill steal will still give you 1 Pearl and even the AFL will be reduced since they'd be encouraged to at least splash the enemies to gain more pearls.

It's still Dog Days, the 30 Pearl drop is dumb, but it's not more worse than it was last time.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Rexis12 said:

No? You just need 10.

People who kill steal will still give you 1 Pearl and even the AFL will be reduced since they'd be encouraged to at least splash the enemies to gain more pearls.

It's still Dog Days, the 30 Pearl drop is dumb, but it's not more worse than it was last time.

Simple math.

Last year you got 50 pearls, then 20 from 20 kills = 70 pearls. If you got 10 kills last year, you would get 50 + 10, so 60.

Today, you get 30 pearls, then 40 from 20 kills = 70 pearls. If you got 10 kills today, you will get 30 + 20, so 50.

Unless you get more than 20 kills, you are getting less than last year. If you don't get the kills, you are getting less. If you get your kill stolen, you are still getting less.

Either way, a waste of breath expecting Dog Days to be good, I already learned that years ago.

• Like 4

I feel like I missed something, I don't understand where all of this hostility is seemingly coming from.  It's an event guys.. if you don't like it, you don't have to play it.  There have been events in the past I don't like so I just don't do them.  I still don't have my Opticor Vandal because I'm not a fan of Thermia Fractures.  If you want to be productive I feel like you could suggest new events if you have an idea or something, I don't think [DE] would make them but at least that would be more pro-active over just saying the event is bad and people who like it are just wrong.  😟  I might also have put too much emphasis on the negativity, it just feels like there is a lot.

• Like 2

These changes apply specifically to Mission 4 of Dog Days:

• All Kills now reward 2 Nakak Pearls. 
  • Players who helped kill an enemy (but didn’t strike the final blow) will now earn 1 Nakak Pearl per Assist

Thank you! This is the best rework since Caliban.

• Like 1

I like dog days.. Especially with the water balloons it's a nice silly little arena event and all the rewards that aren't cosmetic you get from rathuum anyway so it feels like it's there for the ppl who want it but not really in the way if you're not into it

• Like 2

My issues with it:

• Leeches still abound doing nothing hanging out behind obstacles in the ocean.  Note this doesn't directly impact my rewards, or gameplay, but it bothers the f. outta me.  Its a me problem but still...
  • the water gun - the hit box seems wildly inconsistent.  the range seems wildly inconsistent (yes I'm aware of the pump mechanic but even taking that into account)
  • the water gun reticule is way too low given the drop off of the weapon.  Having to aim at the sky so you can't see the field well is infuriating.  Combined with it resulting in your player view blocking 90% of the screen is terrible. 
  • But by far, the absolute WORST and most infuriating aspect is the rewards: SPECIFICALLY - 
                                   😡  !!! WHY CAN"T YOU DONATE THE BEACH BALLS TO THE DOJO  !!! 😡

🤣

• Like 3

I confess that this isn't my favorite content.  I have tried Dog Days a couple runs maybe once before years ago and decided I hated everything about the mechanics and the rewards weren't that appealing to me at the time.

This year, I decided I really wanted another domestic drone, so I decided to take on the slog, and it turns out it wasn't as bad as I hard remembered, though it was still kind of a slog.

Yup, the soaker gun sucks.  I played all the missions solo, so no leechers for me (though I don't understand leechers, because getting only getting the completion reward is possibly the slowest way to earn pearls, and no-kills means no-mission progress, which means no mission rewards, so that seems like a strange choice -- maybe leechers come out after they've completed the missions?).

First of all, I appreciate the regular return of old content.  I didn't start playing from the beginning, so there's a lot of old content that I've never seen before and I did skip content that I felt was too hard in the past, so I'm glad to have access to old content.

After figuring out a strategy that works for me, I was well on my way to grinding out the four missions (using water balloons for the first 3 missions whenever possible, and  backpedaling frantically while firing the soaker with the projectile arc in the 4th).  In the first two missions I was averaging 20 kills, 10 kills in the last two (more skillful players probably can do much better, but I'm satisfied with my performance).  I'm clearly not a pro at this, but I got the color palle, a beach ball for my kavat to play with, and the domestic drone I wanted.  And that's it.  I'm done.  I choose to not play any more, as it's still not an activity I enjoy.

I did notice the enemy AI had different "skill levels" when they are close to me, but when I'm far enough away, they run straight at me while rarely, if ever, firing their soakers, so in solo, I run a couple big circles around the map which groups the three executioners together, then locate them, backpedal away from them,, and take them out.  Early on, the water balloon was better, but in mission 4, it takes more than 1 water balloon, so the soaker became a better choice.  When they're all dead, rinse and repeat by taking another lap around the map.  It seems easier to farm kills in solo than going into pub where you risk the annoyance of leechers or other players messing with grouping the executioners.

• Like 2

On 2024-07-23 at 1:58 AM, KitMeHarder said:

Not including assist, that means you have to get 20 kills (70:70) just to break even with last year's pearl acquisition rate. A pretty bad change if you ask me.

Tbh, I haven't had any issue consistently getting 40-50 kills per mission. I actually quite like the change. You're encouraging your squadmates to each kill as much as possible, which reduces afk/leech-ing (a rampant issue in past years). In the past you'd get at least 1 individual that was afk, if you were lucky. Sometimes it was 2-3 people afk.

I will say though the gameplay feels really a** and feels even worse when you have high ping. Also the event shop is wayyy too expensive for such a boring gamemode.

Edited by Marshi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshi said:

Tbh, I haven't had any issue consistently getting 40-50 kills per mission.

Yeah, I've gotten kills in the 50s every run I've done so far with my current PC. But I also know I would not have gotten anywhere near that with the PC I had when DD was first released.

As well as the fact that almost every player I've played with hasn't broken past the mid 20s in kills. Meaning excluding assist, a lot of players "try harding" are barely breaking even (if that).

1 hour ago, Marshi said:

I will say though the gameplay feels really a** and feels even worse when you have high ping. Also the event shop is wayyy too expensive for such a boring gamemode.

Yep.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KitMeHarder said:

Yeah, I've gotten kills in the 50s every run I've done so far with my current PC. But I also know I would not have gotten anywhere near that with the PC I had when DD was first released.

Honestly fair point. I was thinking of the poor Switch players trying to get kills in the game mode. I've played on Switch before and it's absolutely horrendous trying to aim. I do hope they change the drops so that it's easier for those on console/controller.

• Like 1

On 2024-07-24 at 4:20 AM, NaturallyIrrelevant said:

I feel like I missed something, I don't understand where all of this hostility is seemingly coming from.  It's an event guys.. if you don't like it, you don't have to play it.  There have been events in the past I don't like so I just don't do them.  I still don't have my Opticor Vandal because I'm not a fan of Thermia Fractures.  If you want to be productive I feel like you could suggest new events if you have an idea or something, I don't think [DE] would make them but at least that would be more pro-active over just saying the event is bad and people who like it are just wrong.  😟  I might also have put too much emphasis on the negativity, it just feels like there is a lot.

Too many people think every update is personally for them.

I love Dog Days.

I wouldn't play it year-round if it was available. But I'm happy every time it comes around.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2024-07-25 at 8:45 AM, tucker_d_dawg said:

My issues with it:

• Leeches still abound doing nothing hanging out behind obstacles in the ocean.  Note this doesn't directly impact my rewards, or gameplay, but it bothers the f. outta me.  Its a me problem but still...
  • the water gun - the hit box seems wildly inconsistent.  the range seems wildly inconsistent (yes I'm aware of the pump mechanic but even taking that into account)
  • the water gun reticule is way too low given the drop off of the weapon.  Having to aim at the sky so you can't see the field well is infuriating.  Combined with it resulting in your player view blocking 90% of the screen is terrible. 
  • But by far, the absolute WORST and most infuriating aspect is the rewards: SPECIFICALLY - 
                                   😡  !!! WHY CAN"T YOU DONATE THE BEACH BALLS TO THE DOJO  !!! 😡

🤣

I'm sorry in advance, I only read the bright bold part but why can't you donate beach balls to the dojo? Should be able to from vault, then access by personal decoration, right?

2 hours ago, Dax-Kriegor said:

I'm sorry in advance, I only read the bright bold part but why can't you donate beach balls to the dojo? Should be able to from vault, then access by personal decoration, right?

They don't show up as selectable items to donate to vault. :(

Edited by tucker_d_dawg
  • Like 1

6 часов назад, Dax-Kriegor сказал:

3 часа назад, tucker_d_dawg сказал:

They don't show up as selectable items to donate to vault. :(

The inability to donate beach balls to a clan dojo was made with purpose by DE. The beach balls are physical objects - they interact with the level geometry and those interactions require some processing power. And since clan dojos are processed by DE servers there can be a possibility of intentionally or non-intentionally crippling the server performance by placing a bunch of those balls in dojo and bouncing them around.

Unlike dojos a player's orbiter is processed by a player's device and even in case of overloading it with physics objects nothing bad will happen (your game will just crash, no big deal).

• Like 1

1 минуту назад, Dax-Kriegor сказал:

This makes a lot of sense, thx.. but why are ayatans usable then? They take up logical space, detect and respond to collision, and have constant animation; yet I can wallpaper my dojo with them no problem

Ayatan aren't physical objects. Yes, they're animated, but it's just a visual effect of the 3D model itself, It's not processed on the server side, only on the client side. From the building mechanic Ayatan sculptures are no different from any static decorations available in Dojo by default.

• Like 1

5 минут назад, Dax-Kriegor сказал:

Except that they detect and respond to collision, which any static decoration in the game doesnt

Could you please record a video of kicking an Ayatan sculpture around your dojo?

Edited by Tesla_Reloaded