Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steel Path Survivability W/ Vauban

MemeBeliever

Question

I've been working on steel path, but a lot of my survivability with Vauban has just been placing my vacuums in the right positions. Any advice on mods or tactics? I've been trying to make use of shield gating a bit by adding Vigilante Vigor and Fast Deflection, but I'd need that one mod that gives shield on ability use to make the most use of it. I have equilibrium and synth deconstruct on my moa for energy. Should I go more into health or should I do something else? 7Tw2g1y.png

Edit: No I don't have a helminth and can't subsume any skills.

Edited by MemeBeliever
To inform people I don't have a helminth and they don't start all recommending it.

22 answers to this question

Gerade eben schrieb MemeBeliever:

I've been working on steel path, but a lot of my survivability with Vauban has just been placing my vacuums in the right positions. Any advice on mods or tactics? I've been trying to make use of shield gating a bit by adding Vigilante Vigor and Fast Deflection, but I'd need that one mod that gives shield on ability use to make the most use of it. I have equilibrium and synth deconstruct on my moa for energy. Should I go more into health or should I do something else? 7Tw2g1y.png

forget about shield gating, rolling guard or other clown-trolling builds from overframe.
The problem is that there is hardly any balance. And a lot of things are currently being balanced with shards. When I look at your arcanes - are you at the beginning of your career? Because I get the best results with around 1200 health + 800 armor + hardcore damage. Or 2k health + 800 armor and cc skill or hybrid with shield and then very high damage, because that is exactly why damage is reduced. dead enemies do no damage. Especially when it comes to ranged weapons with heat/rad proc.

even wisp with 460% str + maxed umbra set + usable range for cc is a free kill without adaptation solo (solo sp ani surv). and a vauban like that can just put on a diaper.

Those numbers sound kind of outrageous to me, I don't think I could get any of those numbers except with my rhino prime only because of his base stats. And the damage of my weapons are only getting me by because they can handle multiple enemies at once. I don't have any arcanes above rank 1 yet, and I don't have any really good ones for my warframe. I only achieved 265% range with my best mods and taking up a good amount of space. I don't have a helminth yet, so I can't use archon shards. 

At your level probably the best is rolling guard + adaptation. Using methods other than survivability mods. Shards will come with time. Do you have magus arcanes like repair? You can use lockdown for cc to crowd control void sling. I use that a lot too when my shields break. Sling strength and other passives help too if you have focus schools maxxed. 

Oooof, yeah that is newer player entering steel path territory there.

Energy Sustain would be the first route I'd go. Zenurik is an option there. Energy siphon is too weak, replace the aura with corrosive projection.

Weapons? You still need to kill.

Arcanes, rank 0 isn't doing anything. Replace or rank them up to at least 3.

Shield gating. I personally rely on operator's void mode instead. Use your mod slots for other stuff like duration for the CC balls or streamline/flow for energy.

Adaptation is needed if you want to do traditional tanking.

Get the augment, repealing Bastille or something like that. Makes a world of difference when placing down balls.

Forma, cross-check with various builds posted to find out which formaed polarity is used the most and put that on your build. Pretty safe bet and something I still do.

Helminth, not necessary no need to focus on that aspect right now.

Range, you got that part down.

Vauban is at best a CC machine right now that is how he survives by CCing everything before taking damage from them or avoiding damage so he doesn't go down.

2 hours ago, Venus-Venera said:

even wisp with 460% str + maxed umbra set + usable range for cc is a free kill without adaptation solo (solo sp ani surv)

No. she isnt. She is invisible while in the air (passive) and has an ability (2) that takes off whole aggro from her and defence targets, when she cant be in the air. Not to mention another ability that Blinds enemies with a chance to also give them Radiation status (3). Skill issue.

Edited by Zakkhar

Hello there!

Vauban was a favourite of mine when I was clearing Steel Path and even to this day, I think they are the best at certain hard solo content. I would also say, given how different play styles can be, are there any specific issues or situations you find trickier or more difficult than others? Since not everyones issues are the same. What I mean by that is, do you find yourself running out of energy a lot, so casting your abilities becomes an issue and then you get killed by enemies that way? Is it Eximus that are the main issue? Is it certain mission types that are harder? 

For myself personally? Well I have a few different Vauban builds, depending on the mission type (like if I am doing a solo Steel Path Interception, I usually like more Duration, but if not, then less). I actually don't use any survivability mods on Vauban, I usually don't like to sacrifice range or duration. Oh actually, I have Rolling Guard, for status cleanse. Other than that though, I just survive via mobility and always moving, rolling (rolling gives you some minor DR), bullet jumping over enemies heads, using line of sight, etc. Since for myself, my CC should be incapacitating a lot of enemies, except Eximus, or those that are immune, so I usually just make them the priority as far as avoiding attacks, and killing priority. Oh unless I am just trying to CC them, then stripping Overgaurd so they become susceptible. 

Again though, people have different play styles. When I play Vauban, the way I play him leans towards having to be aware and mobile. If I play say Nidus or Lavos, I am usually lazier and less mobile. Some, I imagine might want to play a Vauban that is less hyper for example. There are other little tricks too, like his 1st ability might not do huge damage, but it can give you some map awareness as to where enemies are, and they can be a decent CC too. Your speed pad ability can be really underrated, against enemies, because if you set it up at certain places, it will deny them access. 

Based on your build, the biggest different I can probably think of, is Energy economy? I grinded a Energise pretty early and thats really nice as far as letting you cast without caring about energy. Not having it, makes Equilibrium a good choice. If you like Shield Gating, too, thats fine, I personally found it better/easier to just use mobility a lot ore, and that way could potentially give you some Mod space. Oh and again, whilst Rolling Guard is different, I found that more convenient/beneficial. 

There are also other tools potentially at your disposal. Sounds like you grabbed yourself Secondary Fortifier which is a really nice Arcane for Vauban. Your Focus Schools as well and advancing them. I like Stropha for Vauban as well, since you collect enemies up into a ball and then shooting them all at once can be satisfying. If you are soloing a lot in Steel Path, Spectres can be nice as well. Shield Osprey from Suda syndicate can give you shields, a Wisp or Dante or Citrine spectre can make for some nice buffs and distraction to enemies. Then picking weapons which let you deal with Eximus or Acolytes can help out with those too. 

Good luck! 

vor 8 Stunden schrieb MemeBeliever:

Those numbers sound kind of outrageous to me, I don't think I could get any of those numbers except with my rhino prime only because of his base stats. And the damage of my weapons are only getting me by because they can handle multiple enemies at once. I don't have any arcanes above rank 1 yet, and I don't have any really good ones for my warframe. I only achieved 265% range with my best mods and taking up a good amount of space. I don't have a helminth yet, so I can't use archon shards. 

Just stick with it and play EDA, Netracells + Archon Weekly every week. And don't forget to buy a shard from Bird.

Because at the moment there is no other option. A lot is possible in public, but otherwise I would switch to a casual tank like Inaros. Because I can't recommend clown parade gameplay with rolling guard and shield gate to anyone.

Judging by your "all-in on range" build I'm going to assume you are focusing on Vauban's 4th ability for CC, but with only 40% strength I'm assuming just the vortex component of it?

Bastille uses 100 energy per cast, so at default energy capacity and efficiency you can cast it twice, a problem made worse by Vauban's lack of energy generation (even with equilibrium)
As a result if you are looking to aim for a shield-gating build I would recommend focusing on different abilities.
Or if your heart is set on bastille you'd want a lot of energy generation that works well with range, I'd recommend getting the helminth segment (purchase from Son on Deimos) and sacrificing a Gara (Cetus bounties) to it. Spectrorage (acquired from Gara) with the Spectrosiphon (Arbiters of Hexis/New Loka offerings) augment is basically infinite energy.
For less ridiculous energy generation, consider a Dethcube (market) with the exclusive "Energy Generator" (Cephalon Simaris offerings) mod and/or "Synth Deconstruct" (Fortuna bounties/Corpus capture targets)

If you choose to NOT go the shield-gating route, Adaptation (Arbitrations) is a pretty powerful mod.
At the same time/otherwise you can bolster your Vauban's armour. Due to his low base armour, non-percentage-based increases are the way to go. Either farm out the remaining 20 Arcane Reapers (may be sold by Acrithis at opportunity rank 9) for armour/health regen on melee kill, or use the aforementioned Synth Deconstruct alongside a "Health Conversion" mod (Cephalon Simaris) for a nice flat increase of 450-1350 armour.

I'd add more but its super late where I am, so I hope what I wrote is not all gibberish.

• Like 1

On 2024-08-13 at 9:39 PM, (XBOX)Player244024418 said:

At your level probably the best is rolling guard + adaptation. Using methods other than survivability mods. Shards will come with time. Do you have magus arcanes like repair? You can use lockdown for cc to crowd control void sling. I use that a lot too when my shields break. Sling strength and other passives help too if you have focus schools maxxed. 

BTW some of your mods are not even maxxed. One other thing you can do is max your mods. 

Vauban is the ONLY Warframe in the game that has NOT ONE SINGLE defensive tool ; except CC, which has been now neutered versus Eximii's Overguard.

The second "weakest survivability" Warframe would be Banshee, but even she has some sort of cc (silence) that bypass overguard.

So to Survive SP with Vauban, you have to heavily invest into some -or multiple- forms of defences. The "easiest" being a strong shield gating ; with (Primed)Redirection + Fast Deflection + Rolling Guard + Arcane Aegis + Brief Respite (yeah, that's a lot ; but that's an example) ; and even then, you'd have to stay aware and play it correctly, and your overall damage/cc build will suffer.

You can strengthen the shield gating build with Adaptation + (night)Eclipse from Mirage Helminth, giving you 97.5% damage reduction. But at a cost of a better Helminth and another mod slot.

The other easiest way to survive with Vauban in SP is to heavily rely on your teammates and your positioning, letting em help to destroy overguard so that your CC work as a defensive tool.

The second option allows you for a better range+duration+power build, but won't save you from falling down every now and then.

Edited by dwqrf

14 minutes ago, dwqrf said:

Vauban is the ONLY Warframe in the game that has NOT ONE SINGLE defensive tool ; except CC, which has been now neutered versus Eximii's Overguard.

Quibble: Bastille and Vortex inflict a slow through Overguard.  It's small, and doesn't scale, but it can be stacked twice by using both.

Really quibble-y:  Flechette Orb inflicts puncture status, the weakness effect of which works through Overguard.

Oh, gawd, I can't stop... :P

18 minutes ago, dwqrf said:

The second "weakest survivability" Warframe would be Banshee, but even she has some sort of cc (silence) that bypass overguard.

Silence is great against Eximus because its ability suppression works through Overguard.  Is it a kind of soft CC?  I'd say yes, but some would say no.  Likewise its alertness suppression.

Silence's stun though, which is clearly CC, doesn't work through Overguard.

il y a 2 minutes, Tiltskillet a dit :

Quibble: Bastille and Vortex inflict a slow through Overguard.  It's small, and doesn't scale, but it can be stacked twice by using both.

Really quibble-y:  Flechette Orb inflicts puncture status, the weakness effect of which works through Overguard.

Good stuff ; didn't know.

il y a 3 minutes, Tiltskillet a dit :

Silence is [...] ability suppression [...] through Overguard.

Yeah, for me, the biggest threat are the spells. Then the enemy itself. Silence being effective in a aoe through wall is a game changer. I think the problem with Eximus+Overguard is having a dangerous opponent that can't be CC. If you remove the overguard (from the game); Eximus are still the biggest threat to Vauban or Banshee ; (even though they would always be cc'ed to death). I don't think a Eximus with overguard, but without any spells, is that much more of a threat than any other mobs (but I might be mistaken).

-

Even with those new details ; I'd still argue that Vauban is weaker than Banshee, and maintain my statement that they are both at the bottom of the pile in term of survivability.

5 minutes ago, dwqrf said:

Even with those new details ; I'd still argue that Vauban is weaker than Banshee, and maintain my statement that they are both at the bottom of the pile in term of survivability.

Yeah, I barely play Vauban, so no idea where he ranks.  They're definitely both on the glass cannon end of the scale.  Unfortunately DE's scale isn't remotely linear and there are several cannons that are made of the latest tungsten superalloys.

I see you're using a regular Vauban, but nu worries, this build advice transfers to the Prime Choochooman once you get him:
Health and armour tanking are the most comfortable options here, take a closer look at Bastille; It grants you (and allies) 1000 armour while standing in its zone, and it'll last 10s, affected by your ability duration. Double down on that;

• Farm Arcane Blessing from Tiana Pass on Mars to gain an additional 1200 health from picking health orbs.

• Obtain Health Conversion from Cephalon Simaris, which will grant you up to 1350 additional armour, 450 per health orb.

• Obtain Adaptation to reduce incoming damage by a 30%~90%*
    * While it reduces damage by 90%, remember it is against a single status, normally the main damage source of enemy weapons, most enemy weapons have 3 damage types, these being all physical ones.

Modding for purely range is limiting your options here, I may recommend you to remove Augur Reach and move Equilibrium to Stretch' slot so it takes less space, and when you get an exilus adapter, add in Cunning Drift to compensate, though you should be fine with 235% range.
While both Vigilante Vigor and Fast Deflection are insanely good mods that I'll never get tired of recommending, if you go for a health tanking approach you can remove them, although keeping one of them isn't a bad idea since having your health not be touched continuously is still something you should aim for, though you are using Arcane Fortifier which is an extremely good idea, so you can use that free overguard to give your shields a brief respite where they can start to regenerate again.

Also, remove Quick Thinking, that mod is only ever that effective on frames with lots of health, rage / Hunter Adrenaline, and great armour values, on Vauban it'll be just draining your energy and you still need to use your abilities to survive.

This should leave you one open slot on your build, you can do what you prefer with it, if Arcane blessing becomes too tedious, you can simply slap in a good old Vitality and do what you prefer with the arcanes, though again I'd recommend Arcane Blessing and Molt Augmented to compensate for the loss of ability strength that Overextended provokes.

Good luck, you're already a believer so once you get your hands on these, it'll all be ez pc.

il y a 32 minutes, (PSN)Pablogamer585 a dit :

It grants you (and allies) 1000 armour while standing in its zone, and it'll last 10s, affected by your ability duration.

I didn't know that and must have overlooked Vauban's defensive and supportive abilities. Vauban Prime goes from 41% to 80% damage reduction on health with armor buff. Note that Bastille doesn't grant you 1000 armor straight away as it needs to hold enemies in it to function ; it's still a potential defensive buff.

Il y a 1 heure, dwqrf a dit :

Vauban is the ONLY Warframe in the game that has NOT ONE SINGLE defensive tool

This statement is therefor wrong.

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb dwqrf:

This statement is therefor wrong.

Actually, not only that. Because embarrassing information is provided here that doesn't help at all. Because logic is completely lacking here.

Actually, it's a shame, because not only the person asking the question is reading here, but also other people who may have searched on Google and have the same problem.

il y a une heure, Venus-Venera a dit :

Because embarrassing information is provided here that doesn't help at all.

I think finding out that Bastille can conditionnally grant 1000 armor to self and allies ; which was nowhere offered as a valuable information by anyone, until @Pablogamer585's input ; is actually progress and usefull. You claimed shards were the way to go ; but it turn out you can get a higher armor rating by just playing it while knowing what abilities do.