Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do Warframes only have their 4 designated abilities in lore also?

Prof-Dante

Like adding a select amount of precepts for Cephalons, do you think Warframes in lore only have 4 abilities that have the same limits as they do in gameplay?

• Sanctuary Onslaught: I thought about this when I was in Elite sanctuary Onslought, Where Simaris managed to "Disable" one of my abilities...I thought, how did he selectively choose an "ability" in my Warframe?
  • Levarian Lore: and then I look at the Levarian, when a Warframe in the story uses an ability, it's an ability they already have in the game, like Nova using a Wormhole to teleport, or use using molecular prime to affect Holsom Yurr with antimatter.
  • Warframe Trailers: In the trailers, no Warframe used an ability that wasn't in the game, more or less...even When Mag absorbed all the bullets using magnetism in the awakening trailer, DE decided that it would be cool to add that in-game, making it essentially also part of her "precepts".

Exceptions: There are some exceptions with this theory, mainly for elemental Warframes, something like fire or Water, are too volatile and/or fluid to have a select set of moves, so obviously, this allows for some additional freedom when utilizing their precepts.

To give you an example of what I mean, in the Awakening trailer, Volt was seen sustaining a chain of lightning strikes mostly using his precept ability Shock But Shock only shoots once per cast, so maybe because the Nature of electricity being a continuous current, he can sustain it for longer.

If you think about this, Warframes like Dante would make sense in Lore, they acquired a powerful Eldritch book capable of literally rewriting reality using Void energy, but he's only capable of select abilities, like light verse, Dark verse, and Final verse.
it allows Warframes to stay in check, the Orokin know their moves and how to counter them, they aren't unpredictable and they will never be a universal threat. 

It also makes modding lore accurate as well, we know there is Literally a Cephalon for mods, the one responsible for Rivens as well, maybe using these mods Warframes can enhance their abilities, and that's what allows them to use a certain ability differently.

24 minutes ago, Prof-Dante said:

To give you an example of what I mean, in the Awakening trailer, Volt was seen sustaining a chain of lightning strikes mostly using his precept ability Shock But Shock only shoots once per cast, so maybe because the Nature of electricity being a continuous current, he can sustain it for longer.

A trailer must be cinematic, so there are certain exagerations to what Warframes can do and will not always depict the gameplay mechanics 1to1. Just look at the SW:TOR Cinematics or TES:O. Especially considering none of those actually play in game - they are outside media.

Edited by Zakkhar

1 hour ago, Prof-Dante said:

Sanctuary Onslaught: I thought about this when I was in Elite sanctuary Onslought, Where Simaris managed to "Disable" one of my abilities...I thought, how did he selectively choose an "ability" in my Warframe?

Sanctuary is a digital zoo in the "Cephalon Weave" (space Internet). Your Warframe isn't physically in there, it's just a simulation, so Simaris can disable the simulation's ability to let you cast that ability (I'll try not to geek out about the meta layer of Simaris adding cooldowns just like a video game)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prof-Dante said:

That was just an early example of having the "semi auto as auto when held " , volt is just zapping too fast to realise it.

Not to mention frames can have more than 4 abilities (hold , tap , cycle , form shift, combine etc.), so the point is moot anyway 

1 hour ago, (PSN)Pablogamer585 said:

While fighting Kullervo he has more abilities than the ones usable when building him.
Atlas in lore can generate an army of rumblers, not just two.

There are cases, so, yeah, we are limited purely for management reasons.

Honestly, Atlas with tomb guardians would be a dream come true.

Limited due to gameplay reasons.

I would have personally loved a Marvel Heroes skill setup. With 3 talent trees, additional perks/mutator options granted the more you invest in a tree along with 8 quick buttons to place skills on, skill you earn as you invest in the talent trees.

Example. You could for instance invest X points into a talent tree on Carnage, then at a certain point you'd get access to 3 perks where you can pick one. Where it could be something like focus on Axe, Hammer or Dagger transformation, where if you pick Axe all axe skills would get a bleed etc. So you could then specialize all out. Some of those choices also morphed some melee skills into the weapon type chosen iirc.

Others could get something else, like on Winter Soldier. Where his melee perk choice did something like adding a massive bleed to his knife attack, or an AoE discharge to his crashdown leap attack that invoved his arm, aswell as granting him a cone AoE with another arm based attack. You could also use these to make hybrid builds, since one option morphed your knife stab into a knife throw instead. Which then tied into certain buffs you got from the talent tree etc. that worked with your gun builds.

WF is kinda that tiny water puddle outside your door after some rain, while MH was the atlantic, both in width and depth.

10 hours ago, Prof-Dante said:

Like adding a select amount of precepts for Cephalons, do you think Warframes in lore only have 4 abilities that have the same limits as they do in gameplay?

I think the best demonstration of this was in the Hollovania Mall; Proto-Mag was hanging out delicately and precisely manipulating liquid metal in the air.  That's something we can't do during gameplay, and it suggests that Mag can do more with her abilities than just violently pull.

I think the best way to marry the lore with the idea of Warframe's individual 1-4 powers would be to consider each of them to represent the ability to use the Warframe's powers in a specific way.  So in theory, if Simaris disabled Mag's Pull, then maybe that would mean that she wouldn't be able to make a house of cards out of liquid metal, because Mag's ability to pull things towards herself has been disabled.  But also, maybe instead Simaris just disabled Mag's ability to pull things towards her at combat velocity, so her house of cards would be intact.  If we really wanted to take the time to study the nuanced differences in all of Mag's abilities, we could probably come up with a theoretical framework of what exactly is and isn't getting disabled that allows (for example) Pull to be disabled but Magnetize to still function.

7 hours ago, (XBOX)Spiderwick3666 said:

Protea can create an entire dimension (or whatever it is, I wasn't paying attention to the quest)

No she can't. The dimension in question is just part of the Void...

...What she CAN do is trap people in a time loop, which is probably just as impressive

17 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

No she can't. The dimension in question is just part of the Void...

...What she CAN do is trap people in a time loop, which is probably just as impressive

That's why I was saying I wasn't paying attention to that quest, also trapping people in time loops isn't something she can do in game so it still holds up 

20 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

I think the best demonstration of this was in the Hollovania Mall; Proto-Mag was hanging out delicately and precisely manipulating liquid metal in the air.  That's something we can't do during gameplay, and it suggests that Mag can do more with her abilities than just violently pull.

I think the best way to marry the lore with the idea of Warframe's individual 1-4 powers would be to consider each of them to represent the ability to use the Warframe's powers in a specific way.  So in theory, if Simaris disabled Mag's Pull, then maybe that would mean that she wouldn't be able to make a house of cards out of liquid metal, because Mag's ability to pull things towards herself has been disabled.  But also, maybe instead Simaris just disabled Mag's ability to pull things towards her at combat velocity, so her house of cards would be intact.  If we really wanted to take the time to study the nuanced differences in all of Mag's abilities, we could probably come up with a theoretical framework of what exactly is and isn't getting disabled that allows (for example) Pull to be disabled but Magnetize to still function.

When Simaris disables something he likely cuts the communication between the "software" and the "hardware" in the frame (or well the simulated frame within Sanctuary), where each piece of hardware or well armament allows the void to manifest in a different way. So the swirly loopy-loops around Mag's arms likely does something different than her floaty shoulders or her head, or some other part of her body that might be a specific armament with a purpose to do something.