Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Magnum Force Is Quite Not Worth It

Genoscythe

Hello,

So, I tried some stuff with the magnum force mod (+pistol damage - accuracy). And it seems to be quite bad compared to other corrupted mods. I barely get more damage out of my brakk with it than I do with an elemental mod, this is nothing compared to the spread increase it causes.

I think giving you a accuracy penalty that is half as big as your damage bonus is a bit harsh.

I suggest to either cut the accuracy penalty or increase the damage it gives, at the moment it is not worth it, as it makes some pistols completely useless.

Hello,

So, I tried some stuff with the magnum force mod (+pistol damage - accuracy). And it seems to be quite bad compared to other corrupted mods. I barely get more damage out of my brakk with it than I do with an elemental mod, this is nothing compared to the spread increase it causes.

I think giving you a accuracy penalty that is half as big as your damage bonus is a bit harsh.

I suggest to either cut the accuracy penalty or increase the damage it gives, at the moment it is not worth it, as it makes some pistols completely useless.

>uses shotgun

>complains about spread

Really?

you know, you dont NEED to max it out right?

just hit a % you like and stick with that.

If I dont max it its even more worthless, the damage bonus is pathetic.

>uses shotgun

>complains about spread

Really?

I took brakk as example, it reduces accuracy even more on high-accuracy weapons. With seer or acrid, very accurate weapons, you will not hit anything at all.

Also more spread sucks even for shotguns.

If I dont max it its even more worthless, the damage bonus is pathetic.

I took brakk as example, it reduces accuracy even more on high-accuracy weapons. With seer or acrid, very accurate weapons, you will not hit anything at all.

Also more spread sucks even for shotguns.

'fraid you chose another bad example. Accuracy loss mods should never be on precision weapons.

But i see your point. Why not just buff it? Because corrupted mods are suppose to inconvenience you, not just bother you. Want a pistol doing 4K crits? Your gonna have to get closer my friend, cuz that accuracy loss isnt going anywhere.

Remember that in the beginning it was a recoil increase, but it was so bad it made people sick. The Devs did a good job, and they dont need to change these mods

'fraid you chose another bad example. Accuracy loss mods should never be on precision weapons.

But i see your point. Why not just buff it? Because corrupted mods are suppose to inconvenience you, not just bother you. Want a pistol doing 4K crits? Your gonna have to get closer my friend, cuz that accuracy loss isnt going anywhere.

Remember that in the beginning it was a recoil increase, but it was so bad it made people sick. The Devs did a good job, and they dont need to change these mods

So you justify a puny 66% damage with a complete accuracy loss on every pistol? No matter if precision weapon, mini-shotgun or jack of all trades, magnum force is not viable at all.

Its rifle counterpart Heavy caliber also increases spread, but it rewards us with damage for that. Thats why everybody uses it. Even with vectis you can still do mid-range shots with it.

The recoil was better to be honest, at least you could control it with some aiming skill, but all the unskilled players were crying, so HC got changed and is completely useless now. Thanks for nothing.

For people who may be wondering why exactly +66% damage is crap - it's additive with Hornet Strike:

386%/320% = +20% overall damage

Less than an anti-faction mod.

and that adds to the multishots and 4 elemental mods attached.

and that adds to the multishots and 4 elemental mods attached.

The problem is: It would only be useful as a 9th mod slot because any elemental mod is more DPS than magnum when dealing with any amount of mod card less than 8.

Example Brakk:

#1. Hornet strike 10

#2.Split chamber 5

#3.Lethal torrent 5

#4.Ice storm 3

#5.Pathogen round 5

#6.Heated charged 5

#7.Convulsion 5 

#8.Expel faction

When dealing with 8 cards swapping out anything for magnum is a downgrade. The only not so sever down grades would be swapping expel for, Pestilence, Deep freeze, Gunslinger or magnum and they all would be a down grade over expel. DE would have to add a 9th mod slot for it to be worth it to use a magnum.

Edited by LazyKnight

And even if you go for the "use Magnum Force to boost Radiation Damage for the Bombards/Napalms silly armor scaling" over adding adding another element that doesn't penetrate the said armor, there are many pistols were adding another mod will do this better - +% fire rate, reload, status chance, crit...

The problem is: It would only be useful as a 9th mod slot because any elemental mod is more DPS than magnum when dealing with any amount of mod card less than 8.

Example Brakk:

#1. Hornet strike 10

#2.Split chamber 5

#3.Lethal torrent 5

#4.Ice storm 3

#5.Pathogen round 5

#6.Heated charged 5

#7.Convulsion 5 

#8.Expel faction

When dealing with 8 cards swapping out anything for magnum is a downgrade. The only not so sever down grades would be swapping expel for, Pestilence, Deep freeze, Gunslinger or magnum and they all would be a down grade over expel. DE would have to add a 9th mod slot for it to be worth it to use a magnum.

Actually any elemental mod would not be better.  All the factions are strong to a certain element, so magnum would do more damage than adding a mod they are strong to.  If you are a warframe with cc you can just walk up and shot enemies in the face.

Actually any elemental mod would not be better.  All the factions are strong to a certain element, so magnum would do more damage than adding a mod they are strong to.  If you are a warframe with cc you can just walk up and shot enemies in the face.

The only faction that has a mixed bag of resistance that requires sacrificing a 4 elemental mod build on is for Corpus, because the best combo is "Magnetic + toxin". Toxin bypasses shields and directly damage health, and easy it is easy to prove this with Ebolist and dual Ichor that can kill without ever causing shield damage.

The other Corpus builds "Magnetic + Fire", and "Magnetic + Gas",  each have an issue. There is no universally good build for them because of Flesh units surrounded by Robots.

My point was that if the 8th slot was being contested Expel>Magnum>Pestilence>Deep Freeze>. If there was a 9th slot it would be Magnum>Pestilence>Deep Freeze.

Edited by LazyKnight

The only faction that has a mixed bag of resistance that requires sacrificing a 4 elemental mod build on is for Corpus, because the best combo is "Magnetic + toxin". Toxin bypasses shields and directly damage health, and easy it is easy to prove this with Ebolist and dual Ichor that can kill without ever causing shield damage.

The other Corpus builds "Magnetic + Fire", and "Magnetic + Gas",  each have an issue. There is no universally good build for them because of Flesh units surrounded by Robots.

My point was that if the 8th slot was being contested Expel>Magnum>Pestilence>Deep Freeze>. If there was a 9th slot it would be Magnum>Pestilence>Deep Freeze.

how would expel>magnum if you have cc and shot enemies point blank.  vortex would allow you to just shoot clustered enemies where accuracy wouldn't matter. 60%>30%

how would expel>magnum if you have cc and shot enemies point blank.  vortex would allow you to just shoot clustered enemies where accuracy wouldn't matter. 60%>30%

Expel modifies final damage, magnum adds a fixed amount based on base damage. The damage added by magnum is greater then expel only at a certain point(before hornet strike).

Example: Weapon that has 100 base damage.

With a maxed Hornet strike the modified damage is 320 adding four elemental mods that are each 90% and would be 288 damage each.

That would be 1152+320=1472 final damage. If expel is added to this final damage it is simply increased to 1913.

Using magnum 66% to base would be 386+1389=1775 final damage.

CC doesn't need to be factored magnum is worse than expel.

Example: Weapon that has 100 base damage and three 90% mods

Using expel:

320+(288*3)=1184

Expel increase final damage by 30% = 1539

Using magnum instead:

386+(347*3)=1428

It's not a good mod and it's a terribly expensive rank 10 rare mod that is worse than a uncommon mod.

Edited by LazyKnight

Using DPSframe, yeah, magnum force is showing less dps than expel and even ice storm.

I always thought it was base damage, which made it multiply with multishot and elementals scaled off it (as with expel and hornet strike)

Is that not the case, then? I'm pretty confused here. I figured it would work in a way that 66% was more than the 30% from expel so it was the better choice when you could hit.

I guess heavy caliber works the same way, but it's viable since it scales so high. Hmm. The more you know.

The real problem with the mod system is the illogical choice of numbers. Some mods will never be used because they give less DPS than others. In this case, it even is somewhat difficult to get, very difficult to level, and I guess does poopoo damage at the significant cost of accuracy.

Edited by VegetableBasket

Is that not the case, then? I'm pretty confused here. I figured it would work in a way that 66% was more than the 30% from expel so it was the better choice when you could hit.

Magnum and heavy caliber are based on a percentage of the base damage of the weapon, expel is 30% more final damage. The issues is magnum is terrible IF horrent strike is on the weapon, because moving from 320% to 386% is not that great of a movement. If you were just to increase that final of 320%, by 30% that would be 416%.

It would require buffing magnum to 100% at max rank for it to be of a greater benefit than using expel when dealing with a weapon that already has hornet strike.

If a weapon has serration already, and then adds heavy caliber, that is moving from 265% to 430% and that is greater benefit than adding 30% more final damage.

Edited by LazyKnight

Not correct. Against Grineer if you want to primarily hit Ferrite Armor (like in the Void, for example) you would use Corrosive + Fire or Corrosive + Cold, depending if you want more damage against Cloned Flesh or Alloy Armor. Against Corpus if you're using Impact damage and want to hit Crewmen then using Magnetic isn't ideal since Flesh resists Impact, so you're better off using Viral + Radiation, although Electric isn't that far behind Radiation so you can sub that out if you want as well. Unless you want to obliterate Fossilized from Infested you would use Corrosive + Fire or Corrosive + Cold to get better coverage across all Infested units.

Even if you disagree with some of those ideas, it's not as simple as rainbowing it up against everything.

I necro that.

The mod is actually too expensive for what it does. I have to pay 8 mod points for only +30% damage and the accuracy malus. Seriously ?

So that little thing should at least give +15% damage per level IMO, for -7,5 accuracy per level.

Edited by Einde