Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Power Creep. Despair Vs Castanas

ItPutsTheLotion

? Orthos prime is a great weapon, but it does half the base charge/slide/jump damage of the Galatine. It has half the charge time, but when you consider that Galatine has a 25% base crit chance, it is really all Galatine, all day. 

I'm looking at my Galatine right now and it has 5% base crit chance. :/

Castanas are powerful yes, but hardly more powerful than despair. THe throwing accuracy is crap, like, I can aim above the walls on a tower defense, and it'd smack into the side of those things. You can only have a certain amount out at a time, so multishot isn't worth it. the detonation radius is tiny, so trying to airshot is almost impossible at anything other than close range thanks to both the throwing angles and the small radius. They do no damage on impact, nor proc anything.

Okay, it might have slightly higher DPS, but remember, anyone calculating DPS is putting in the best case scenario values. All headshot, no misses, etc.

despair is completely fine. i dont have the hate so i wouldnt know, but i do know that the galantine is the best melee at the moment, above anything else.

I have Hate and the Galentine.

Hate is good, very good... but, it has the shortest range of the heavy weapons, although it does more damage than Reaper Prime I think? But can only hit 3 enemies and is a pain to get. The Galentine does everything Hate does and better, it's also far easier to get. Stick a Focus energy or Charge speed mod on there and you're good to go. Only think Hate has going for it is the attack and charge speed are faster. But after using Fury and Charge speed mods, the difference is negligible compared to the pay offs that Galantine provides. Hell, Magistar does better in some aspects than Hate vs the Grineer or Corpus if you mod it right with radiation and puncture damage/ fire for the Corpus as it already has huge impact damage and a big AoE attack.

Shame really, Hate looks great. 

Edited by (PS4)billy-d-squid

castanas got nothing to share with despair if not the looks, comparing them is like comparing the penta to the soma really, you could compare  the castanas to the stug but the latter is still more powerfull in damage terms (ignoring the fact that goo is white and the detonations are random and have an innate tendence to blow me up that's unmatched even by the penta) so no it's not power creep imo.

the detonations are random

I'm positive the detonation time depends on the size of the goo.

The size of the goo increases if you stack them in the same spot and if you shoot more than one ball at once by charging or by using using multishot. Multishot is probably causing your 'random' feeling because sometimes it will make you shoot a bigger goo ball.

Edited by CubedOobleck

as many forementioned, since these 'Shock Charges' focus mainly on tactical use, very primarily traps, they're best suited to just nuke one or two enemies every once in a while, rather than fighting the groups of enemies we normally encounter. Weapons for the thinking man. ;)

the Damage Output of Despair (and subsequently Kunai) is fine, honestly. some Tactility changes may be favorable, but they dish out plenty of Damage if you ask me. those Status Chances are a bit disappointing for sure.

if anything, Hikou would need a look at since it's literally useless currently. it's just all 'worse' stats from the other throwns. it doesn't create lots of Status Effects, doesn't Crit well, does bad Damage overall while using up lots of Ammo, Et Cetera. it's trying to compete against the other two throwns in the wrong way. it should be different. having a Physical Spread more towards Slash perhaps, with decent a Status Chance to make up for it's lack of Front loaded Damage, something.

But the charge time? Uh-uh, that's a no-go compared to the Orthos P. Consider that the Orthos P. can put out more hits in the time it takes to charge the Galatine. Then factor in stagger while in Melee.

everyone may prefer what they will, but Galatine swings once for upwards of 20,000Dmg, and OrthosP swings around in circles for somewhere in the area of a few thousand a second.

but... the Heavy Units that are 99% of the threat in the game, would be best eliminated with Galatine... since one Charge Attack will get rid of it much faster.

sure, though, the Orthos series is great for Trash Units - but that's just it. they're trash. they're easy to kill, we don't need specialized Weapons for it.

Edited by taiiat