Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So The Tenno Are Called The Betrayers Because...

Jathniel

...they turned on the Empire that they fought to defend at the end of the Sentient's War?
And the Stalker was present then, and has been alive since, to make sure he makes every Tenno pay for that?

Is it me, or does this raise more questions?

Tenno are completely evil anti-heroes seeking to dominate the galaxy in the name of "balance".

And loot.

You seem to have the measure of it. And haven't you heard?! Eventually we will all turn on each other too in the interest of securing as much of the Badlands to establish our own Clan's supremacy over other Tenno!

You seem to have the measure of it. And haven't you heard?! Eventually we will all turn on each other too in the interest of securing as much of the Badlands to establish our own Clan's supremacy over other Tenno!

I always knew the day will come when Tenno rise against Tenno and we are no brothers anymore.

"Regardless of their future, the Tenno stand united against a common foe, loyal only to each other."

Actually I wonder if they will cut that sentence from the official description once the badlands are around...

Edited by MeduSalem

Since it is the Corpus that call them that, I have a theory that the Corpus think the Tenno should be serving them, or working with them to reclaim orokin technology. Since they don't the Corpus see them as betraying them, and by proxy the orokin they once served.

The reason I suspected this was because of the Stalker Codex entry (which I don't have).

For anyone that hasn't seen it. It's here near the bottom of the page picture numbers 49 and 50:
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Stalker

The description implies the Stalker was a grunt in whatever Empire they hail from, and he perceived the Tenno as being traitors. Apparently, he wasn't the only one. It seems that history itself records the Tenno as traitors, otherwise the Corpus wouldn't think of them as such.
Yet, again, the Grinneer see the Tenno as a powerful, yet honorable, threat. So apparently, two histories about their actions against the Empire were recorded that day.

I assume that the Tenno succeeded in crumbling the government of that ancient Empire, but that they couldn't survive the civil war that possibly followed. Perhaps they were subdued in a unique way, and locked away? Or perhaps they went into hiding, and chose to lock themselves away in the void (where Excalibur seemed to be when the portal to his location was breached)? Or maybe they simply locked themselves away with whatever Orokin tech was available?

Or maybe.... just maybe... the Tenno really are homicidal maniacs, and the void did more than give them powers... it wrecked their minds as well?

I'm in no rush to know everything... but I sure wish the story around the Stalker is expanded. Apparently, he's no normal human, if he's lived actively from the time the Tenno were locked away. I think it's safe to assume that the "grunt" has evolved in ability over the years (centuries?) from when the alleged betrayal occurred.

Edited by Jathniel

I can't be bothered re-writing out the conclusions I came to on this matter.

So I'll link the topic instead

Given the hypothesis here.

The big question would be, who are the Orokin and who were the Sentients?

I am willing to hypothesize from this, the following:

The Tenno killed almost everyone that wasn't Orokin. If you were a person with your free-will intact, you were the enemy. If you were a "Sentient"... you were the enemy.

So that's why there are no "normal" people, or no "civilians" in Warframe... the Tenno killed them all.

The existence of the Grinneer could possibly have been a last ditch effort on free humanity's part to manufacture soldiers to battle the Tenno and Orokin... who were clearly probably slaugtering us regular people by the truck-load.

Free Humanity was beating the Orokin, 'by turning their technology against them'. Perhaps they were like the Borg, and humans were perhaps introducing viruses into their hive minds to defeat them, essentially turning their greatest strength against them.

In turn, the Orokin took the scum of humanity, perhaps the worse possible convicts, prison inmates, or social outcasts (as they are called "rejects"), and transformed them into the Tenno, to use them against us. The Tenno would be Orokin-powered, but possess enough of their free-will to resist whatever counter-measures humanity could develop.

Humanity failed.

By the time the war was over, there were probably so few genetic original humans left, there would be no hope for pure human DNA to ever return on Earth... hence the rise of the Grinneer Empire.

The Corpus are perhaps the descendants of that eras wealthy families, who had the means and resources of avoiding the war, in turn, their children spend time gathering the remaining technologies of the war.

The Grinneer therefore perhaps think of the Tenno as "honorable" because of them in time destroying the Orokin.

The Corpus perhaps think of the Tenno as "betrayers" because they turned on humanity in the first place.

And everyone thinks of Lotus as an enemy for reviving them to begin with.

Edited by Jathniel

Makes sense. Where does the Infested come in?

I can't say...

I can barely make an educated guess.

Warframe's connections to Dark Sector lore-wise is so tentative, it may as well be non-existant. So I don't even want to mention Technocyte.

When I read the old theory about these things here...

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Story_and_History

I see a very loose picture, and a grasping for straws for a connection to Dark Sector.

This is a VERY big assumption... but I think the Infested ARE the Orokin in some lesser or fallen form. The Orokin or some consciousness belonging to the Orokin could have reverted or retreated to this form in order to escape the Tenno. They possess the 'hive mind' like the Orokin, they seem puzzled that the Tenno want to kill them, and their claim "we are the medium by which immortality is achieved" to me reflects an overpowering Will bent on perfection (and Orokin ships are most definitely reflections of "perfection").

I even find the explanation we have surrounding the Orokin Derelicts as... loose.

If the Orokin were releasing the Technocyte virus against the Sentients, why would the Orokin ship have to flee into the void?

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Orokin_Derelict

I think the derelicts are simply an Orokin consciousness trying to re-learn how to integrate with their technology.

So I think it's a big assumption to assume Technocyte has anything to do with anything. Considering how we don't really have anything of substance to connect to Dark Sector (except for DE saying that Hayden Tenno IS the first Tenno).

If I HAD to make a connection to Dark Sector, I would say that the Orokin were well aware of Earth's history, and therefore KNEW ABOUT the events surrounding the Technocyte virus. In turn, they may have simply emulated it's function as a possible fallback means of maintaining their control.

When the Tenno betrayed them, they simply deployed it to ensure their survival.

Again, this is just educated guessing.

Edited by Jathniel

The real question is who put the tenno into cryo, and why the tenno let that happen in the first place.

If you look at the trailer, the pod excalibur is freed from looks more like honorary position.

Something akin a altar for a divine beeing.

It certainly dosn't look like a prision cell for some leashed monster you keep alive in case you ever need it again.

What that means I don't know, but the "tombs" are orokin structurs build to preserve the tenno.

I can't say...

I can barely make an educated guess.

Warframe's connections to Dark Sector lore-wise is so tentative, it may as well be non-existant. So I don't even want to mention Technocyte.

When I read the old theory about these things here...

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Story_and_History

I see a very loose picture, and a grasping for straws for a connection to Dark Sector.

This is a VERY big assumption... but I think the Infested ARE the Orokin in some lesser or fallen form. The Orokin or some consciousness belonging to the Orokin could have reverted or retreated to this form in order to escape the Tenno. They possess the 'hive mind' like the Orokin, they seem puzzled that the Tenno want to kill them, and their claim "we are the medium by which immortality is achieved" to me reflects an overpowering Will bent on perfection (and Orokin ships are most definitely reflections of "perfection").

I even find the explanation we have surrounding the Orokin Derelicts as... loose.

If the Orokin were releasing the Technocyte virus against the Sentients, why would the Orokin ship have to flee into the void?

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Orokin_Derelict

I think the derelicts are simply an Orokin consciousness trying to re-learn how to integrate with their technology.

So I think it's a big assumption to assume Technocyte has anything to do with anything. Considering how we don't really have anything of substance to connect to Dark Sector (except for DE saying that Hayden Tenno IS the first Tenno).

If I HAD to make a connection to Dark Sector, I would say that the Orokin were well aware of Earth's history, and therefore KNEW ABOUT the events surrounding the Technocyte virus. In turn, they may have simply emulated it's function as a possible fallback means of maintaining their control.

When the Tenno betrayed them, they simply deployed it to ensure their survival.

Again, this is just educated guessing.

Bet you're wrong. The Orokin were supposed to be from Earth I think, as the Tenno were supposed to be an ancient race of warrior from Earth. The Infested are the semi-sentient Technocyte virus infecting the Corpus and Grineer (not sure what the Ancient Healers are, but all others are Grineer or Corpus). Don't think there's any substantial link to Dark Sector. Yeah, the devs said Hayden Tenno is the first, but pretty sure that was before they made Excalibur's codex page which basically nullifies the idea of Dark Sector as a prequel.

Also, you say you don't want to mention Technocyte, but even in the link you put up, the info there mentions the Technocyte as being an Orokin weapon against the Sentients.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Unanswered questions. Nobody knows. Sometimes I start to think not even the Devs know which road they want to take.

Sounds like 'Lost' all over again.

That's why I think the lore is quite vague as well. The devs aren't sure and don't want to make a decision as of yet. They really should though. I'm sure it would allow them to provide more solid content from this basis and even start to develop a proper story line for this content to follow and tie-in with. Gives them more of a purpose.

Come on DE. Stop being indecisive and get this ball rolling. 

Edited by Naith

Bet you're wrong. The Orokin were supposed to be from Earth I think, as the Tenno were supposed to be an ancient race of warrior from Earth. The Infested are the semi-sentient Technocyte virus infecting the Corpus and Grineer (not sure what the Ancient Healers are, but all others are Grineer or Corpus). Don't think there's any substantial link to Dark Sector. Yeah, the devs said Hayden Tenno is the first, but pretty sure that was before they made Excalibur's codex page which basically nullifies the idea of Dark Sector as a prequel.

Also, you say you don't want to mention Technocyte, but even in the link you put up, the info there mentions the Technocyte as being an Orokin weapon against the Sentients.

Well, the contributors of the wiki are just putting some of the best theories forward. I felt it was important to link it.

I failed to articulate properly.

The reason I concluded that the Technocyte is actually gone, and the Infested could simply be an Orokin bio-technology modeled AFTER it, is because the Orokin DID actually do something similar with making the Tenno.

Don't forget Excalibur's description. The Tenno ARE NOT an ancient race from Earth.

They ARE Orokin created weapons.

The Tenno are fashioned after MANY ancient races from Earth, but they are not themselves an ancient race. ('we taught them the old ways')

Their weapons reflect this. They use weapons that have styles that can be traced to nearly every major continent. Ancient Asian, European, African, and American (both native and colonial) weapons.

The Orokin were aware of Earth's history, and used it. The Sentients were people, that were beating them on the computer and technology front, BECAUSE they were individually sentient. But the Orokin, took the greatest combat styles of Earth's ancient people, and used that against the Sentients.

What were a bunch of hackers and computer geeks supposed to do, with a horde of cyborg ninjas coming after them?

I think the same way the Orokin used knowledge of Earth's past (ancient warcraft) to create the Tenno, is the same way they used knowledge of Earth's past (events of Dark Sector/Technocyte virus) to create the Infested.

But I am definitely wrong, because this is just guessing. lol