Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thanks For Watching Devstream #26

[DE]Rebecca

I am really looking forward to melee 2.0. I am not looking forward to spending an inordinate amount of time grinding out mods to be able to actually access the content, especially when I distinctly recall Steve saying something along the lines of not forcing us to grind out the new melee mods. Melee mods that drop from enemies and provide cool bonuses and new combos? Fine, no problem. No complaints here. 

Combos being completely inaccessible without said mods?

I just don't understand the train of thought that influenced that decision. In light of all the general feedback you've gotten to date, do you think that there is a significantly large portion of the community that likes going on hackneyed treasure hunts for cool things? I say hackneyed, because there's no way to actually find what you're looking for, aside from crossing your fingers. I'd bet money that there is nobody out there who is honestly sitting there thinking "OH BOY, I GET TO GO FIND MORE MODS BEFORE I CAN START USING MELEE COMBOS!" 

It's nice that the combo stances seem to be relatively universal, but come on. I'm just waiting to hear about the combo mods all being Uncommons or, better yet, Rares. It took me forever killing random Lancers before I got Heavy Trauma, and I still haven't seen Jagged Edge drop once. Sure, those aren't really quintessential melee mods, but the way they're presented makes it seem like the Devs think they are. Are they on fairly common enemies? Yeah. I shudder to think about what would happen if they weren't. Considering this has been in development since... November? December? I'm surprised that there aren't at least basic sequences for each grip type. Not the jaw-droppingly awesome stuff shown on the streams, but still more than the slashing loops on swords right now.

I'm probably going a little too far here, but it's like you've spent a lot of time growing a really juicy and delicious carrot, showing it off to us along the way... only to tell us we can have the carrot before putting it into a cabinet that we can reach, but can't reliably open. It shouldn't be difficult to imagine how frustrating that is. 

*@##$ing and venting aside, Melee 2.0 itself looks great. It looked like blocking completely mitigates damage now, and the blocking mods will actually be worth something now. I'm glad you guys took the time to polish off all those new animations, and the new Warframe looks awesome. I was definitely expecting a more boringly generic Water theme simply throwing water around for damage, but that puddle ability looks intense. The animation of the wave looked good, too. 

Lastly, I hope you guys took notice of Scott "dying" multiple times in Dev god-mode while barely being able to get up off of the ground. Having that level of CC on enemies is itself perfectly okay. Having that level of CC on enemies dealing that level of damage when there is nothing you can do outside of hoping a mod you might or might not have equipped rolls a knockdown resist for you is not. It was disheartening to hear the "The Reflection mod will knock them down too," as well. Lovely. The thing is, even though that enemy might be knocked down, they probably don't have twenty other Tenno shooting at them while they stand up. We need reliable counters to that stuff. Seriously. Then you can call it adding challenge. 

Gah. I said I was done complaining. Sorry. 

To end things on a high note, and to show that I'm not upset, only confused and disappointed, I want to say that the upcoming katana looks amazing. You guys have my mad respect for being one of the few game development groups to actually get the orientation of the sword (edge facing up, not down) when worn at the hip correct. I usually grind things out through blueprints and whatnot when I can, but that sword will probably be the first weapon I purchase with platinum. +9001 bonus points if you make it decently color-customizable from the get-go, too. 

I just hope that his third ability will allow us to Move our puddle like a Glacius or a T - 1000 !It could add some gameplay depth to our stealth / defense missions (why not add water hands that pull the enemies in the puddle? It would look awesome)

I also hope that this update will bring a lot of different enemies (new melee enemies),a future rework of Tyl Regor, a new breath to stealth, and more life in the animations.

(I also noticed that no word was sayed about focus, the incoming infested planet and the delay reasons but I'm quite satisfied of what you showed us this time :) . )

From what I've seen, it looks amazing. LOOKS. Let's hope that all these things will be as useful as they're i()(ntended to.

(Hydroid is a weird name.But Hydros, Cain, Kenn,Levios or even Loch are good imo )

Edited by unknow99

DE, You make it so hard for us to hate you :)

Great job on Melee 2.0. It's finally being released!!!! OMG all this Hype

I tried not to Hype but Hype is making me Hype as I watch the overwhelmingly hyping video over and over and hyper again

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAH

Edited by Obblivion

.......First, your text is gray. Second they showed us the Basic Stance, they said that more Stance mods will drop from enemies (more farming.....) we will have more Combos as we level the mod(?). So far we have seen 1 of the combos here, there will be more dont worry, but if you are concerned that we will only have 1 combo per Stance...... I am too.

Fixed the gray text. First, basic stance, means no stance equipped. Second, in the video, you can clearly see the stance he uses (iron phoenix) is fully leveled. And when he brings up the menu for the combos, there is really only one combo (e-e-pause-e-e-e aka taking flight) i heard i think the gauntlets have a forking branch. Which is what every stance needs. I want to intertwine my combos to make my own. And at least someone else is a bit worried about there being only 1 combo per stance

Edited by Brawleee

Question about melee channeling:

So I notice that this MAY make contagion a little bit redundant because apart from the toxin damage boost, they're virtually identical: any tweaks for that ability in consideration?

Also, does melee channeling change parrying behaviour?

Fixed the gray text. First, basic stance, means no stance equipped. Second, in the video, you can clearly see the stance he uses (iron phoenix) is fully leveled. And when he brings up the menu for the combos, there is really only one combo (e-e-pause-e-e-e aka taking flight) i heard i think the gauntlets have a forking branch. Which is what every stance needs. I want to intertwine my combos to make my own. And at least someone else is a bit worried about there being only 1 combo per stance

I hope what Scott showed us was just a "teaser" and not the full result, if we have one single combo per Stance that would kinda suck, as a DMC fan I would really like to make multiple combos per Stance, but I think they will add more content to Melee 2.0 as time goes on, right now I'm in a "Wait and See" mentality.

Thanks for sharing with us but I'm completely off the hype train now.

My gut was telling me DE was trying to make/paint Melee 2.0 as the savior of Warframe and for the fanboys and girls it's true, so much "preeeettyyyyyy" but not a whole lot of difference in missions.

Before you all jump on me, let me explain. There wasn't a single thing about diversify missions and things to actually DO in Warframe except make your dojo look "prettier", get some "prettier" stuff and kill enemies in a  "prettier" fashion with fancy animations. All sizzle but no real steak. Yes, it does look better, flashier, more pizzaz but that's all it is, just "prettier".

Missions have yet to change: Exterminate, Spy, Defense, Mobile Defense, Survival and Capture. Same 6 mission types. Now you can go on a random mission to help defend or fight against a clan/alliance in the Badlands?!? Is that supposed to now count as a new mission type?

I DO like the new crossbow and the new melee animations DO look pretty but I'm still waiting for actual things TO DO to get truly excited again. Badlands, "oh, go help this clan or that clan defend their rail" just isn't enough of an incentive.

But Warframe sure is going to look pretty and that will probably continue to mask the fact that this game continues to be a whole lot of sizzle with not much steak to be found.

Edited by ajwalker65

I hope what Scott showed us was just a "teaser" and not the full result, if we have one single combo per Stance that would kinda suck, as a DMC fan I would really like to make multiple combos per Stance, but I think they will add more content to Melee 2.0 as time goes on, right now I'm in a "Wait and See" mentality.

same here all we cna do is hope. But at least we have a combo with a few branches here and there to start out with. Id call this a foundation, and we'll build up from here. It was called a "preview" after all :P

Edited by Brawleee

Question about melee channeling:

So I notice that this MAY make contagion a little bit redundant because apart from the toxin damage boost, they're virtually identical: any tweaks for that ability in consideration?

Also, does melee channeling change parrying behaviour?

Very good point you raise about Contagion. Maybe they will drop its cost to 25 and give channeling while it's active a massive toxin boost? AoE toxin hits anyone?? :P

Also. I believe parrying a melee attack while channeling allows you to perform a finisher (the impalement seen in the dev stream).

I thought that's just timing the parry and not through melee channel?

Not sure. I said "I believe" haha but I'm not entirely sure. I think a regular parry opens the enemy to regular attacks by throwing them off-balance, but a channeled parry reacts with a finisher. I could be wrong though.

About the new warframe's abilities.

At first I was skeptical, but by the end of the devstream I think I got some ideas running:

• Barrage seems a little cost-heavy unless it really does have some good damage, but this ability is a pretty solid ranged ability that also covers an area for a while, which is very good to have in my opinion, and could be used on far away enemies hiding behind cover. I like it.
  • Tidal Wave. To be honest, I actually love this ability. Looks sick, has a sick effect. Is sick. Turn into a tidal wave that surges forward, carrying all enemies hit with you while doing damage to them aaaaand ending with them (from what I understand) ragdolled. Perfect for some quick ground-finishers to mop up the remaining enemies. Plus, after watching the Melee Combo Counter, I think Tidal Wave would be perfect for closing gaps quickly without risking yourself and even giving you an advantage to extend your counter. Awesome ability in my opinion.
  • Puddleform. I do like how it only costs 25 energy. Would've been ridiculous for anything more XD I initially hated this ability, in all honesty here. I'm not sure if you can move while it's active? If you can, it's not bad for just ambushing enemies and sucking them into the logically-unsound pool of infinite depth. But I don't thinkkkk you can move, but again I dunno. I also am curious as to the duration of this ability. The damage seemed pretty sub-par, but I actually like the idea of this ability now for defensive uses:
    • If taking way too much fire, just go puddle-mode and let your shields recharge. Not bad.
    • Quick use to dodge those pesky knockdown attacks (those that Scott was getting wrecked by XD ) by quickly entering then exiting puddle form. Also, if the enemy was close enough (like a Shield Lancer charging to knock you down), they will be left on the floor after stepping in the doompuddle.

[*]"Deep Dark Sea" needs a rename, just gonna be blunt about it. It seemed pretty lackluster from what I saw buuuuut they did say it was unfinished. With better damage and targeting and solid duration, this could be pretty good for locking down areas and defending objectives (or laughing maniacally as the Capture target gets his face pounded into the floor by giant water tentacles).

Those are just my thoughts on the water warframe's abilities. I avoided using his name because it should just be changed XD H... Hy... NO! I can't X'(

Really though it needs a rename. It's not too late. The current name just doesn't fit. Heck, I don't even care if Nautilus has been used in other games, it sounds a whole lot better than the current name.

Anyways! Those are just my thoughts. I mostly just wanted to post this to sort of put the warframe's abilities into perspective and reveal some gameplay applications of them that I saw.

Thanks!

-FinnishHim

Not sure. I said "I believe" haha but I'm not entirely sure. I think a regular parry opens the enemy to regular attacks by throwing them off-balance, but a channeled parry reacts with a finisher. I could be wrong though.

We'll wait an see then.

I wonder if the Melee Channel mod will also be tweaked?

E.g. using a power will also grant the spent energy's worth of melee channel duration.