Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thanks For Watching Devstream #26

[DE]Rebecca

We had so many of you tune in today, thank you!

The topics covered & played:

Dojo: coming rooms & functions
Clan Management & Alliances: New UI & how to
Codename Badlands: Endgame
New 'Water/Pirate' themed frame: Abilities, role, and design
Melee 2.0: Playthrough and explanation of various melee weapons.

Shoutout to:

nekrojiji
seanjuju
archwizard
lactamid
(PS4)edqinp426
Netslayer
cndarian
Redstyles
sedu13
& many more for guidance on topics and questions we were able to show or discuss for the stream in this format.
And thank you to everyone else, and sorry again about the delay.

The Platinum Winners

Eshy0
Lordmistik
renzoray
joshikumako

Summary:

DEVSTREAM #26 – SUMMARY

The usual gang of Rebecca, Scott, Steve, Geoff and Sheldon say their hello’s and jump right into Update 13 content!
DOJO ADDITIONS
GARDENS:
Rebecca: There are 7 new Gardens being added.
TROPHY ROOM:
Rebecca: You can come to this two-storey elevator room and put all your trophies out. If you have active competitions going on in your Clan the winning player Warframe will be displayed in the middle in trophy form.
OBSERVATORY:
Rebecca: A lot of players have been saying that what their Dojo is missing is Space.
Steve: This is going to be part of the HUBS. It’s sort of an area where players can congregate; there will be transmissions and incoming information in the middle console.  
OROKIN LAB:
Steve: This is the Orokin research room. This is where you’re Clans will participate in the new Badlands gameplay, which are Clans and alliances being able to claim ownerships. You can build your own Solar Rails and settle areas that have never been reached before. Those areas will have superior resources and finds. When building a Solar Rail, the resource costs won’t scale because of an alliance of small clans can work together and challenge a single Moon clan. So they need to be on equal resource costs.
The loading screen pulls a random Codex entry.
The transitions into really large Dojos used to take 20 seconds, but Glen has optimized the Dojo layout codes so now it happens really quickly.
ALLIANCES
Rebecca: When I opened my inbox this morning I had an Alliance invite! We’ve had a lot of long term clans that have heard about Alliances but have never seen it until now.
This is the UI we teased on the UI Livestream, it’s been a longtime coming for Clan members.
SOLAR RAIL NODES
Scott: So Clans can put their own messages in here and Clan logos are displayed.
Steve: They’ll have battle pay offers and contributions you have to pay to their Clan that goes in their Vault so they can build more Solar Rails.
They’ll be using a mix of Tilesets. Might be some missed Factions in them too.
There is a lot of time that happens between the phases where you can’t deploy and take that location right away. If you deploy a challenge it’s not a sudden conflict. We’re doing that so other clans and alliances can build up their forces.
When you play Badlands and pick a tower, you don’t directly attack that Clan. You’re attacking the base that they’ve built. You run a mission against the defense that the tower has built. If you challenge with your tower and you’re just doing to block someone, the other tower will win automatically after a couple days. You have to be serious when you build and attack.
The total population of an Alliance is 3000.
NEW WARFRAME/CARRIER SKIN
Scott: Hydroid is water themed but instead of going pure water we hybridized it and it turned out water/pirate.
Scott: Basically this is a skin for your Carrier Sentinel; we’ll be starting to introduce skins for Sentinels in the future.
Currently I think he fits a Hydroid type, he’s an all-around kind of guy.
SHIPYARD TILE SET SNEAK: http://youtu.be/THYFOn4hHdI?t=27m36s
Scott: It’s a long ranged cannon barrage that as it level ups up the duration and damage will increase.
Scott: You basically turn into a Tidal Wave. It pushes the AI together, knocks them down and damages them over time.
Scott: This started out as a joke. Basically you turn into a puddle. You can’t be detected by AI and if they walk over the puddle you can hide enemies in the puddle and take damage over time. It’s really good for stealth so you can strategically place yourself or hide.
Geoff: This one is still a work in progress.
Scott: Basically it spawns the Kraken. The tentacles will grab AI and fling them around.
MELEE 2.0
Scott: I think Melee 2.0 is the biggest reason for the delay. The amount of time and polishing that it’s taking to organize all of the animation assets and creating fun combos with a reason to exist.
Basically we’ve added Stance slots to all of the Melee weapons. The Stance is created as Mods cards that you will find in the game as drops. Every weapon comes with a default basic stance that doesn’t include the combos. When you find the one you prefer you equip it and level it up. The Stances are what unlocks the Combos for you. They work like an Aura slot as well. The button underneath the Stace Mod shows you all the possible combos to show players how to do this. You can access this in-game too if you need some help.
Steve: I think a training mode for this would be nice. There’s now a level of skill required for Melee instead of just mashing.
Scott: When you have your primary weapon equipped you can still quick strike. Basically BLOCK is now your AIM button.
Geoff: You can now strafe and dodge as well when you parry.
Steve: Parrying is now pretty inexpensive and not on the AIM button when you’ve got the melee weapon equipped.
Scott: That kick at the end of the combo opens up a finisher.
Scott: This combo set has a forking branch in it. At a certain point in the animation you can decide whether you’re going to hold or pause and does a fast/heavy strike to knock enemies back.
Steve: When you are equipped in Melee mode, you’re FIRE button changes into this channeling where you channel your energy into your weapon. This is a kind of mutation of the charge attack system. There’s no charge attacks anymore, just melee channeling. Now the blade has Warframe energy in it that pulls from your energy pool.
Geoff: Because he was using his channeling and parrying a physical attack at the same time he opened up a finisher opportunity.
Steve: We’re going to be shipping with half a dozen Channeling mods.
Scott: We have status, fire rate, melee swing, damage, life steal, and stamina increase mods.
Steve: Every hit is 5 energy by default. You can get a channeling mod to help with that.
Scott: You can do channeling mid-combo and time it correctly in a particular attack animation.
Steve: This is a way that melee will scale with incredibly powerfully enemies because there is now a hit counter that will introduce a damage multiplier that goes across all your weapons/mods.

TENNO PRIMARY CROSSBOW: http://youtu.be/THYFOn4hHdI?t=58m59s

LENS SYSTEM
Steve: Lens System is for (likely) Update 14 and ties into the Focus system, you’re getting a preview here.
MELEE 2.0 AND VALKYR
Geoff: We will address it but it won’t be part of Update 13.

Katana, Tenno Crossbow, Cutlass & Dagger
PS4 Controller and Melee 2.0: http://youtu.be/THYFOn4hHdI?t=59m44s
Team: “It plays really well on a controller!”

How to get Hydroid when the Update ships? http://youtu.be/THYFOn4hHdI?t=1h24s
Steve: Did you really think it’d be this easy?
Well, when the Update goes out the hunt for Vay Hek begins! He will have the parts, but you’ll have to find him first!
Steve: Vay Hek has gone into hiding, but you’ll be facing his personal guard at first (maybe MELEE dudes?). Overall, sorry for being evasive and sorry we didn’t make it this week for the Update.

Melee 2.0 Hammer Gameplay: http://youtu.be/THYFOn4hHdI?t=1h1m40s
Dev and team get ready to show off the Hammer, not sure if it’s going to work… BUT! Scott looks at the combo screen and goes to town!

Steve: We’re going to Ship this out this Wednesday. http://youtu.be/THYFOn4hHdI?t=1h2m51s
We got a lot of comments/tweets about the teaser site. We didn’t want to do a countdown to a countdown. We apologize and hope the ambitiousness of this update makes up for it. We were as disappointed as the players. We were very upset. The way we (the devs), approached this was almost like making a subgame, but if you still wanna rock your Soma go for it. And if you want The Sword Alone, now you can. It takes practice, have patience with the Update, and learn it.

THE GLAIVE AND MELEE 2.0? http://youtu.be/THYFOn4hHdI?t=1h4m56s

Yes, it is the exception and it will maintain its charge attack.
Scott: Its combos are out of control.
Rebecca: Can you show it?
Scott: *goes ahead and gets Glaive ready to showoff* Real magic begins: http://youtu.be/THYFOn4hHdI?t=1h7m39s

HIJACK MISSION?
Still need to confirm if it’s coming to U13 as a permanent mission.

Closing Melee 2.0 thoughts:http://youtu.be/THYFOn4hHdI?t=1h11m13s
Scott: I am looking forward to 4 player melee only playthroughs. I totally think it’s viable. Even defense and survival, I was testing Defense, I could defend by myself.
Geoff: I think it’ll be cool to see how stuns/finishers are cooperated between players.
Scott: Melee only four player group, high level, is a viable strategy.

The Ninja is brought back to Warframe.
Thanks for watching!

(Remade due to merge issue)

P.S: The 24-hour Alert will begin at 5:30 PM EDT, and will be a Glaive BP!

Shouldn't we make other warframe abilities good before spamming out a ton of reskinned abilities on new frames who are just novelty? I mean... Ember never got a spot in the lime light.. and Valkyr has more armor than Rhino because she is bad at surviving on abilities alone without spamming her fourth one.

Edited by KTribute

Hydroid should be renamed.

Most frames have simple names that explain exactly what they are without badly combining two words together. Frost (ice), Ember (fire), Saryn (is a type of toxin = toxic), Mag (magnetic), etc. etc.

Hydroid sounds bad, like a kid named a water robot or something.

Edited by HandsOfnArtist

Ok...I look forward to the update. Lets see what it plays like...Now please speed up the earths rotation to bring wendsday into being immediately. Thanks.

^ Undersold this sooo well... in reality:

excited.gifH38Ui0Z.gif

So_excited.jpg

Edited by Nkomo-Sama

It begins...

tumblr_n3iofbOZBx1savzkco1_r1_1280.png

Truth be told:

I wasn't expecting to have badlands ready for this update, now we have a week to reshape the clan and be ready by the patch release ^^

Edited by HK-A6A7

Shouldn't we make other warframe abilities good before spamming out a ton of reskinned abilities on new frames who are just novelty? I mean... Ember never got a spot in the lime light..

neither did volt. They changed him, then changed the game so that he never really moved.