Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aren't Melees A Tad Bit Too Strong?

Hypetale

I'm not on the anti-nerf bandwagon but if you're gonna suggest to... nerf melee, please no. We finally have reasons to use our melee weapons for more than just cosmetic or utility purposes, our melees can actually be used to defend ourselves now.

I agree, nerf heavy units' anti-melee powers (and buff against range?).  Every heavy unit you would want to use supped melee on punishes you FAR too heavily for getting close.

Heavy grineer, ancients, bosses, if you try to get into melee you die.  Heavy gunners' knockdown is the worst of all.  Not dodgeable even by jumping.

These heavy units all need to stagger much more easily to melee channeled hits to lock them down and actually get something out of melee.

sshhhh.... you crazy!!!! Melee is awesome right now the only thing that scales well into high levels, also closing the distance needs to be rewarded!! No more Threads like this lock it now!! Don´t talk about it!!! Just...be cool... okay..?!?!?!

i agree with OP

they really are strong as hell 

but the thing is your weapons are probably maxed, modded and potatoed THATS why you kill all the enemies so fast

how about you take a rank 0 weapon dotn potato it untill its 30 and then fight with it 

I haven't had a chance to play with the new melee.
And I highly doubt it's really overpowered. It's actually probably fairly balanced in comparison to guns in terms of pure numbers.

I think the real problem is that we have no mobility oriented combo openers to get us between targets, so our approach with melee is still slow. Thus requiring melee weapons to be as strong as they are in order to have comparable dps/ttk to guns, which does reduce their ability to unleash full chains against foes. 

In a way, raw damage numbers aside, I would agree that they may be a bit...too powerful in some ways. I found it hilarious when I went to Mercury survival and was able to solo it with only my used-to-be terrible hardly leveled melee weapon, heavies and everything. It was way too much fun to block all the rockets, block his AoE knockdown, and then slash him down with my melee channeled while he gets stun locked.

Anybody who says melee 2.0 is useless needs to actually make a serious attempt at using it, I've never before considered using it against heavy units, but now I'd go as far as to downright say it's the better option given you aren't surrounded by other units as well. In the past the leader snowglobes would be a barrier for me if I didn't have maxed weapons, but now I just run in there and block all the projectiles followed by stun locking him until he dies...I don't even have a stance mod equipped!

I don't know what they're like with stance mods, but I'm hoping the combos are worth my time. Even if not, I'm perfectly content with what has changed. Even behind the "grind walls" that people keep going on about, I'm having tons of fun with my melee on the shipyards. Plenty of other small tweaks to the UI and all make it feel more fresh again. They have to make money somehow, and I'm glad they offered as much as they did without any grinding required, even if the big things will be out of reach for a while.

Melee is incredibly powerful now - which is quite nice if we take into consideration that you have to get close and the enemies you can hit in given time is limited compared to a ranged weapon. Yes, it might be a tad too strong - but honestly if you wish to keep up with players using ranged weapons, melee got to be strong.

I understand where OP is coming from, but it kinda just goes to show that the idea of 'combos' doesn't work to well in WF.

Mobs die too easily, and people are looking for the most damage output possible.

What Melee 2.0 basically resulted in was removing charged attacks, and adding something that basically does the same thing as a charged attack, but faster.

Stuff still dying in one shot as usual. Combos just don't work in a game like this. Maybe on the occasional boss. But not much so for normal enemies. Moreso if you're someone capable of buffing melee.

But I think most people would rather have their damage output over combos anyday.

I understand where OP is coming from, but it kinda just goes to show that the idea of 'combos' doesn't work to well in WF.

Mobs die too easily, and people are looking for the most damage output possible.

What Melee 2.0 basically resulted in was removing charged attacks, and adding something that basically does the same thing as a charged attack, but faster.

Stuff still dying in one shot as usual. Combos just don't work in a game like this. Maybe on the occasional boss. But not much so for normal enemies. Moreso if you're someone capable of buffing melee.

But I think most people would rather have their damage output over combos anyday.

Melee 2.0 as it currently is is just fine. DE, DO. NOT. NERF. MELEE. 2.0

Edited by AntoineFlemming

I like it. Please don't adjust it. 

You're going to be getting a more varied battlefield now and as someone stated, risk with reward. It's made Warframe rather refreshing and I'm looking forward to seeing how DE improve and advance it.

Edited by Naith

The fact that using melee weapons means you need to be in close proximity to enemies and thus, much more vulnerable to damage, counteracts the efficiency of the damage you inflict.

In other words : shoot them from far away with relative safety of cover... or rush them in melee to quickly dispatch them while being consciously aware that a wrong move could cost your some shields/health. Both styles actually are viable now in comparison of how only 1 or 2 melee weapons in pre-Melee 2.0 were the only options that weren't considered utterly suicidal to use in melee.

It's risk vs reward and someone who gets good at melee combat now can actually be pretty efficient by having the right means to do the job.

Edited by Wiegraf