The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is The Charge Attack Gone?

It's really a good question as to why it was completely removed and not just added as a powerful attack you could do with your melee equipped.

I believe it was because of the insane amount of balancing they'd need to do for each weapon to make it worth using charge attack at all.

Hard to explain really, basically certain (most) weapons had no real need for charge attack because you could put out so much more damage, crits and status procs by just building your weapon for regular attacks.

I always remember charge attack being one of those things you would use on a melee weapon that you had JUST got, in order to one shot enemies so you could level it easily. At high level, it's unlikely that you built your weapon for charge attacks only.

At least channeling basically replaces the charge attack, and it's a really good mechanic too, with a lot of cool mods.

I say this on threads like this all the time but..

Holding the E button doesn't do anything right now so charge attacks didn't even have to go away.

No combo starts with holding E.

It was a lazy ninja move by the devs.

Not to mention there could have been unique charge attack combos. They did it in Okami and it was simple: E (hold) --> E (hold) --> E (hold) --> E (hold)

Each time you can hold, you can decide not to hold to do a quick attack with a similar animation,, and then decide to hold for the next attack (almost like how Channeling works, but still different, and can be combined with Channeling). The charge attack will then be a combo starter on its own, and further charge attacks are strings of slow, but rhythmic combos.

In fact, all heavy melee weapons could have kept charge attacks. As Chlora said below me, charge attacks could have used utility (like Kestrel and Glaive) as its strong point. Hammers would cause 100% knockbacks, or at least a long stun that can open a finisher opportunity, and so on. These things shouldn't only be at the end of combos that take WAY too much time to execute, with no way to cancel it if you're hitting the air.

Melee 2.0 nerfed them really heavily, and there's not that much reason to use them when dual swords, Glaive/Kestrel and Nikana are all much more powerful, useful (maneuvers), are way faster, and uses WAY LESS stamina, all at the same time.

The only reason I still use Gram is because Cleaving Whirlwind's Broken Bull combo can actually be decent when used well, and the only reason it feels decent is because it feels just like melee 1.0's charge attacks (ironic, isn't it?).

You don't always avoid a problem by simply removing it completely.

I made a topic addressing issues with heavy weapons. https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/215199-heavy-weight-weapons-viability/

Edited by Casardis

At least channeling basically replaces the charge attack, and it's a really good mechanic too, with a lot of cool mods.

Nope.

DE could have made Melee 2.0 much more useful if they turned charge attacks from simply more damage into utility moves.

Think about it. Do you actually like having to do jump attacks to do knockdown AOEs?

They could have given each melee weapon type a different kind of utility, not just flat bonus dmg like before.

It's not that channeling replaced charge attacks. Charge attacks are simply wasted potential.

IMO, charge attacks should not be on all weapons but made into combos for certain stances. Mainly the ones that specialize in slow, hard strikes.

right, like a stance combo that has, tap tap hold hold tap. they could have implemented something like this, i miss charge attacks

right, like a stance combo that has, tap tap hold hold tap. they could have implemented something like this, i miss charge attacks

Holding E/melee is, in fact, part of some combos now (the only example i can think of is crossing snakes but i'm sure there are more), and it was probably to reduce clutter there.

There are combos like that already, but the issue is that the "hold" is just a button-press aspect as opposed to actual gameplay feedback. Holding it is just another way to do the combo, and not representative of actually charging an attack mid-combo.

So yeah.

Edited by Casardis

Except that those "hold" attacks in the middle are a nightmare due to timing issues, especially now that charge attacks do one swing as soon as you press it and initiate the technique on release - assuming you held it just long enough to register but not long enough to reset your combo.

Still waiting on Glaive to not need its charge attack preceded by a quick attack for that reason.

Edited by Archwizard

We are leaning towards Eastern game where anime elements super fast attacks and sen pais thrive...

Actually no idea, kind of sad when you consider that certain heavy weapons look silly without those attacks.

Maybe because mindless spamming of charge attack is exactly what melee 2.0 was addressing? Also charge attack would kill combos - why even bother with executing a proper combo when all you would need to do is hold E repetitively, especially when you could slap channelling on top for even higher damage? That's not even remotely dynamic and fun.
If you like visual aspect then animations are mostly still there, although incorporated in combos.

Nope.

DE could have made Melee 2.0 much more useful if they turned charge attacks from simply more damage into utility moves.

Think about it. Do you actually like having to do jump attacks to do knockdown AOEs?

They could have given each melee weapon type a different kind of utility, not just flat bonus dmg like before.

It's not that channeling replaced charge attacks. Charge attacks are simply wasted potential.

Give that Tenno all the upvotes he deserves.

Edited by xGryphus

DE DID say they were removing charge attacks when melee 2.0 comes, cept for Glaive/Kestrel.... and till today you didnt see the forums talking about it...

r8nylwQ.png

It's the hype. People were so excited with Melee 2.0 and it was cool for a while.

Now they people realize DE pulled a trick on them with charge attacks.

Yea that explains everything. Did they feel like it was OP? A waste of a move? Does channeling dish out the same damage as a charge attack? I still think the animations they should of kept.

they did keep the animations, they were cannibalized into the various combos of their respective stances. 

apart from throwing glaive type wpns hold melee isnt used for anything, no reason why we cant have both tbh.

just use hold melee and have the same old attack sequences, doing more dmg only slowed right down or something.

Edited by Methanoid

I say this on threads like this all the time but..

Holding the E button doesn't do anything right now so charge attacks didn't even have to go away.

No combo starts with holding E.

It was a lazy ninja move by the devs.

I feel like it's a bit unfair to call it lazy when they spent about 4? months working on the system.

Charge mods would really just make channeling mods pointless, and stacking a charge attack+channeled galatine doesn't sound very balanced.

What people forget is that they took the charge attacks, and buffed the normal attacks.