Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Ability Changes: Nova

[DE]Rebecca

Nova was finally nerfed. I've tested it to have a relevant opinion.

Except a loss of range, i see no true change, to be honest. She still kills in chains and still cumulate effects.

Having read here and there many threads about her, it appeared to me that what bothered most the players in MP was the superposition of assets. The ability was simulaneously a buff, a debuff, a damager and a wide AoE. Decrease these effects do not solve the main concern of the player: the superposition.

It causes the ability OPness, but also encourages the Nova Players to only rely on this ability.

The best choice from here is, IMO, to split the assets of MP. For example:

-leave the damage to Antimatter Drop. It does this job very well. MP damage is redundant.

-leave the deceleration of groups to Null Star (rework the ability to give it this role rather than redundant damage)

- make MP only weakening (damage multiplier) nearby enemies + if a primed enemy dies, he explodes, knock-down everyone around and contaminate them with the Prime (no significant damage in all the process).

Results: Nova has 4 abilities, all useful. No more superposition.

Null Star: controls the approach of the enemies, AD does the damage, wormhole do the mobility, MP weakens and help to manage groups.

This is an example of rework of what i think the community is/was asking for. I may be wrong, and people wouldn't have done exactly the thing like I did, but i hope this will help you, DE, to see what is expected/wished.

Except that, i like the new visual effect and propagation. ^^

Players, feel free to rectify if necessary.

I actually agree with quite a few of these changes. AD really should be her most damaging move, especially since it's also the most "skill" oriented one.

Sadly, we can already see the uproar that just this current change has created. Even though Nova still nukes everything on the map (just not instantaneously), people are still complaining. I love how one person literally stated "I can't use her as my speedrun+spam frame anymore. She's useless" and expected everyone to agree with them. This kind of mentality is all over this community. Hell, it's the same mentality as the old Rhino advocates who raged about his godmode being gone, or the old Ember advocates raging about HER godmode being gone. Sadly this community; or at least a vocal minority of it, is hell bent on keeping their favorite warframes as overpowered and unhindered as possible, because who cares about challenge, amirite? *sigh.*

The time it takes for MP to radiate should be effected by Power Strength, aka the more you have the faster it is.

I actually agree with quite a few of these changes. AD really should be her most damaging move, especially since it's also the most "skill" oriented one.

I would agree with this except for the fact that over half the time you join a game with latency of some kind, which renders AD utterly useless.

the change feels fine, just needed to change my build around a bit, its nice to have a use for the other V now, glad i didn't forma it out like every one ells i know. only thing i would like is if power strength made it expand faster, its a little slow for my liking(and 30% mite make it feel nicer). would also make some other interesting ways to build her with max power strength.

Nova was finally nerfed. I've tested it to have a relevant opinion.(...)

I actually agree with quite a few of these changes. (...)

Thank you guys. I was beginning to think that I'm the only sane person here. Re-balancing of Nova couldn't have come soon enough. IMO MPrime is still too good (as it was mentioned - this skill has buff ,debuff and damage in it)  ,but the uproar of the no 4 spammers this change created is both irritating and funny at the same time. Irritating ,because they just don't get it. Funny because...  well their tears are so tasty... nom nom

Actually it's interesting how m prime lingers for a while so you cast around the pod in t3 def and enemies still keep walking into it and getting primed, also you can make the range crazy far.

Edit: still lots of bugs though like primed enemies aren't the color of my aura but the explosions are, and the prime effect I see slowing move vanishes and returns depending on where I turn and look.

Edited by dosu

I love Warframe, and Nova's one of my favorite frames, but this this balancing seems a little harsh. Certainly Nova was overpowered, and it had to be fixed, but I feel like it was fixed a little to much. It might just be that I'm not a good enough player, but as Nova is now, I can't use her effectively. Mainly its because, even with a max range build (stretch, overextended, all maxed, no narrowminded) Molecular prime has become a close ranged ability (. Also,when enough enemies are in range to justify its cost, nova's in a lot of trouble, as she's taking a lot of damage.

Rather than weaken molecular prime in 4 different ways, wouldn't 2 or even 3 be effective? The problem of Nova being overpowered is solved, true, but now she's weak enough that I think a lot of people will stop using her (which is unfortunate, considering how many forma's some of us have used on her, plus a potato.) I'm really hoping that the Dev's will consider refining Nova a bit more, what I liked the most about her was how she chewed through enemies quickly (it made otherwise boring runs much less tedious.) Perhaps she shouldn't be able to do that to the stronger enemies, but for those of us who are lazy, it would be nice not having to deal with weak enemies.

I'd have been fine with molecular prime losing the damaging explosions and multiplier, or having lost the slow effect, or getting an appropriate duration added on, but it feels like there was to much lost. Maybe I've misunderstood the changes to Nova, and just need to change my mods. If so, I'm sorry for my mistake. Thank you for your time, and all your hard work on Warframe.

EDIT: I just played Nova some more, turns out I messed up with my mods, if modded for duration she's still a contender. That said, my only issue is the speed at which molecular prime radiates from Nova. Aside from that, I am very happy with this balancing.

Edited by Snowman486

Her number 4 should just be named super nova, which she marks a target and when its killed, boom a super nova. Damage affected by damage, range from target to nova and range of explosion affected by range etc etc. That sounds like a fun ability lol.

Edited by Eteimos

I was prepared to wait and see how the changes were implemented before I passed judgement, now I have experienced them myself I have some feedback.

The speed of the MP effect seems to be very slow for a damaging ability. Ignoring the CC effect for a moment, as a damaging effect MP seems to be largely pointless because, compared to other Warframe 4 powers, the payoff takes far too long - you can easily outrun the effect. The effect is so slow that the chain reaction seems largely pointless.

Now, as a CC power, MP is an effective tool, but I feel it seems less effective than powers such as Nyx's Chaos - which stops the enemies attacking you while they attack themselves. In addition, the lack of the damage multiplier makes it seem like a worse version of Chaos too.

I understand the need for the changes, but I believe some of the new aspects need to be tweaked to make Nova's MP competitive once more, as there are now many frames that do her job better, be it CC or damage.

Edited by Diremongoose

Im very dissapointed in this nova NERF realy i dont play nova for cc and thats pretty much what she is now the mixing duration range strength and cost means that her ult is now an impractical joke that you cant get a decent effect out of and i can outrun my own ult SIGH well done you make nyxs ult the best in the game and trinitys and novas the worst nice very nicly done just WOW JUST FECKING WOW.

There isnt another 4 skill in the game that needs the mod mix hers now does just to make it work at a sort of mediocre lvl as it does now.

Edited by freakystupi

Testing around a bit myself, first thing I come to realize is that all that's really needed is to stack Duration mods on her (still along with Fleeting Expertise for some spammage) and she more or less does the same as she used to. It's a tad slower, sure, but considering that in defense and the like, enemies run to you, you're affecting way more of them than before, with it growing out and them running in.

Also, to the person above me, Nyx' ult isn't what you think it is, good sir/miss. Just giving a heads up.

Edited by Frost0513

After playing around with nova for a bit post-nerf, I've a two main qualms with it.

Firstly, the examining of M prime in a vacuum.  That is, balancing Nova as if that were her only ability.  It isn't, and when balancing her, one should look at that ability in relation to Nova as a whole.  With the changes to M prime, she desperately needs the guaranteed stagger back on null star.

Secondly, the spread on M prime seems a bit slow.  Now, I wouldn't say it needs to be buffed to her sprint speed, but it feels slightly too slow.  With a rank 3 stretch on, it takes eleven seconds to reach its full spread.  That, in my opinion, is a bit too slow

Im very dissapointed in this nova NERF realy i dont play nova for cc and thats pretty much what she is now the mixing duration range strength and cost means that her ult is now an impractical joke that you cant get a decent effect out of and i can outrun my own ult SIGH well done you make nyxs ult the best in the game and trinitys and novas the worst nice very nicly done just WOW JUST FECKING WOW.

There isnt another 4 skill in the game that needs the mod mix hers now does just to make it work at a sort of mediocre lvl as it does now.

.You're being silly.

Edited by Satsaru

Secondly, the spread on M prime seems a bit slow.  Now, I wouldn't say it needs to be buffed to her sprint speed, but it feels slightly too slow.  With a rank 3 stretch on, it takes eleven seconds to reach its full spread.  That, in my opinion, is a bit too slow

Only with rank 3 Stretch? 11 seconds? Goddamn that's slow. Speed really, really needs to be affected by Power Strength, or just tweaked. Thanks for finding this out.

Edited by Numerikuu

I just did 50 minutes in T3 Survival with Nova. I wanted to test her after update. Used Build: Energy Siphon, Blind Rage, Intensify, Continuity, Constitution, Narrow Minded, Streamline, Stretch, Flow, Redirection and Molecular Prime. If you take a look you'll see I maximized Molecular Prime in almost every aspect (no Overextended means less range for primed blasts). Molecular Prime now deals less damage, but still is a high CC ability beacuse of slow and damage amplifier effects. It felt really weird to cast MP and then wait to expand in order to use it efficiently. Moreover, with no Fleeting Expertise, MP cost 125 energy but with maxed Power Duration its range is insane thus using Fleeting Expertise it would be a good idea. Now, generally talking about Nova, in order to maximize MP you need to remove 3 mods you previously used = you need to weaken Nova in other aspects in order to maximize MP, which is a very bad thing because Nova was anyway a warframe with almost no defensive capabilities (eg: I used Vitality and Worm Hole to increase Nova's survivability and mobility but after last patch I had to remove them to install Power Duration Mods).

To sum up, Nova requires more energy, has less mobility and survivability and MP deals less damage and you have to wait if you wanna use it efficiently (MP cant save you anymore in critical moments because of this). After 30 minutes MP's damage was irrelevant. After last patch, I strongly believe that Rhino is a better warframe than Nova.

I'm sorry I main Nova and I love these changes. She feels more balanced and fair and I actually have a better time playing with other people now. I've found using worm hole into the center of enemies dropping a 25 energy mprime and wormholing out while the lingering hits everything continously super handy. She feels like a fleshed out frame instead of nothing but MP. She's still the biggest boom in the game and as an avid AMD user I think this better focuses her abilities to all be used. Blowing up the entire map for 25 energy was $&*&*#(%& and didn't feel fun. Something about the slow outward burst adds a needed tension to her character making those tricky MP's satisfying instead of utterly boring. Keep up the good work.

the damage multiplier is a MUST for that skill.... love the new changes but not about the damage multiplier removal...

The damage mutli wasn't touched, you still do double damage to anything primed.

Molecular Prime:

- On cast, no longer instantly affects all enemies in a radius, now grows out from Novas casting position with a new visual effect. This is affected by Duration mods.

With your new change, the ability is slow and few effective.

Why not better that works as ability "World On Fire" of Ember?

When Nova casts Molecular Prime, it affects to enemies in a radius by where Nova goes. This will have time of use (affected by Duration mods).

Edited by Xaiyain