Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Darker Side To Warframe

NearlyDedicated

ATTENTION: These are not the posts you are looking for. A new thread with better detail, organization, and explanation can be found here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/277197-the-darker-side-of-warframe-follow-up/

I didn't expect this to be such a hot topic! Thanks for the support, guys!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, fellow Tenno.

As an experienced player (I've been around since Easter 2013), I've watched Warframe grow. I've been impressed by how quickly DE pumps out new, original ideas and finishes them well. But after recently re-watching the Warframe "Open Beta Launch Trailer" (

), I was reminded of how much it's changed. When I first joined the community, Warframe was dark. We were silent killers against an evil (and truly frightening) army of Grineer clones and merchant cult, only to be blind-sided by a ravaging disease called the Technocyte plague.

When I look at Warframe today, it ultimately seems a lot more...cartoonish. It's not the same style of gameplay. Lech Kril, who appears in the mentioned trailer, has a different atmosphere for example. The lighting is too bright for a game about killers who hide in the shadows.

With the words "Stealth 2.0" being tossed around, I was wondering if it would also bring back this feeling of a dark, MMO-Space shooter. I certainly prefer the darker Warframe style to the new, bubbly atmosphere which stems from Warframes like Mirage, whose ultimate ability is to release a spinning disco ball which shoots lasers. Are you kidding? What happened to Warframe ideas like Banshee? If Banshee had gone the route of Mirage, her ultimate would be to summon boom-boxes out of the floor and make the enemies dance to death.

Don't get me wrong - DE has done a great job. They are a refreshing separation from developers like DICE and Infinity Ward. I just miss the old style, full of darkness and mystery.

Am I alone in this?

tl;dr - There is no tl;dr. Go back and read, lazy schmuck. 

Edited by NearlyDedicated

Back to a "darker" (pretty sure a lot of people are going to be stuck on the "dark" word and misread/misinterprete it...) Warframe atmosphere? Yes plox! Where do I sign?

^This. \o/

Edited by Marthrym

Hello, fellow Tenno.

As an experienced player (I've been around since Easter 2013), I've watched Warframe grow. I've been impressed by how quickly DE pumps out new, original ideas and finishes them well. But after recently re-watching the Warframe "Open Beta Launch Trailer" (

), I was reminded of how much it's changed. When I first joined the community, Warframe was dark. We were silent killers against an evil (and truly frightening) army of Grineer clones and merchant cult, only to be blind-sided by a ravaging disease called the Technocyte plague.

When I look at Warframe today, it ultimately seems a lot more...cartoonish. It's not the same style of gameplay. Lech Kril, who appears in the mentioned trailer, has a different atmosphere for example. The lighting is too bright for a game about killers who hide in the shadows.

With the words "Stealth 2.0" being tossed around, I was wondering if it would also bring back this feeling of a dark, MMO-Space shooter. I certainly prefer the darker Warframe style to the new, bubbly atmosphere which stems from Warframes like Mirage, whose ultimate ability is to release a spinning disco ball which shoots lasers. Are you kidding? What happened to Warframe ideas like Banshee? If Banshee had gone the route of Mirage, her ultimate would be to summon boom-boxes out of the floor and make the enemies dance to death.

Don't get me wrong - DE has done a great job. They are a refreshing separation from developers like DICE and Infinity Ward. I just miss the old style, full of darkness and mystery.

Am I alone in this?

Being around just a few days longer than you I can agree that the feeling definately has changed. But I think it's just because we know the game so well. For a new player it might still feel like you described.

I think DE knows that Warframe's style is dark. I mean, just look at the new Infested tileset that came with U14 and Mirage and the Kubrows. Most people overlooked it, but the Infested not only have a new tileset, they have new sounds and a completely new musical track using the revamped in-game music mixer. Just to make them all the creepier and darker.

It's a tenuous balance that needs to be struck between a coherent style and a sense of variety. I believe Warframe's big moments will come from the random occurrences that can happen in the world, and that's what I think DE should be trying to capitalize on; to create a world that reflects the way you play, that responds to who you are.

Hello, fellow Tenno.

Am I alone in this?

That's what I noticed, how cartoonish and teen-friendly this game is compared to things like Dark Sector. I would really like a more Dark Sector-ish, brutal version of this game, but I suppose you have to make things bright and shiny for the masses to enjoy...

Edited by -SLX-J3tAc3

-snip-

It's possible. Even so, Mirage and Kubrows made the game even more "bubbly" than it was. If DE just adjusted the contrast and brightness of the existing tiles, this would aid the mood of the entire game. Then we need to find some real ideas for Warframe abilities - frightening ones, designed to strike fear into the heart of our enemy. Not a jack-in-the-box. Not a disco ball. Not a decoy repaint. 

Kubrows are fun and all, but they could've been a lot more frightening too. I can't be wrong on that one. The puppy idle animations? Fine. Puppies are meant to be playful. But when my puppy grows, I expect a killing machine, trained to break the necks of the clones spilling from the toxic womb!

I was here since U7 and I totally understand where you're coming from. I would love to see warframe get serious again and focus more on the story and realistic atmosphere (meaning how it should feel being in that situation not something to resemble real life) rather than all this colorful and and toy-like stuff.

It seems at this point they feel more concerned about putting out new content rather than improving what they already have and its starting to look like a big mess

I AM THE DARK KNIGHT

That's racist. 

On topic : I never saw the game as having a 'dark' theme.

We're killing soldiers who had no choice but to be soldiers. They were cloned and bred to be killers.

There is no concept of mercy or kindness for clones, despite the fact they are very much capable of individual thought.

A) This game isn't big on emotional feedback

B) The themes are meant for lore

C) It's already pretty dark, we're just making light of it

D) I can't believe I'm typing this. I have things to do.

It's possible. Even so, Mirage and Kubrows made the game even more "bubbly" than it was. If DE just adjusted the contrast and brightness of the existing tiles, this would aid the mood of the entire game. Then we need to find some real ideas for Warframe abilities - frightening ones, designed to strike fear into the heart of our enemy. Not a jack-in-the-box. Not a disco ball. Not a decoy repaint. 

Kubrows are fun and all, but they could've been a lot more frightening too. I can't be wrong on that one. The puppy idle animations? Fine. Puppies are meant to be playful. But when my puppy grows, I expect a killing machine, trained to break the necks of the clones spilling from the toxic womb!

This

BirdFrame, JellyfishFrame, DeerFrame...

And I thought Necro-Falcon-PawnchFrame, DollFrame, and FrenchFrame were bad.

Don't get me wrong, on some level I like all these Frames, but they don't fit the same way the "Core" Frames (plus Saryn) did. The ideas behind the new frames are starting to get too silly and we just have to cross our fingers and hope that they're 'good' (Mirage is good, at least).

Feels like these new Frames are killing the mood.

+1

I consider myself veteran too.

Im rank 9 coz I dont have time for leveling up useless weapons just for mastery but i have most of end game content.

I just wish warframe would be darker, incoming "new race" sounded very intrestion, especialy after concept with new types of warframse with darker acpect (I dont recal what was that but it was like prime but named Rift of something like that).

Edit: I play since 2013 just after easter.

Edited by Xardis

-snip-

Exactly. Even the Typhus concept seems a little silly to me, unless it's done right - a darker color scheme and such.

Did I even mention the Derf Anyo thing? The fact Derf is actually making it into the game is making me roll my eyes at DE. Honestly, it all went downhill for me with the release of Nova.

Edited by NearlyDedicated

Give it time guys, eventually DE will realize that the game is becoming nigh unrecognizable to its origins and will likely make changes accordingly. The game is meant to be dark, but there has to be contrast to make the darkness of atmosphere seem palpable.