The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Where Does Warframe's Appeal Come From ?

Deidaku

The art style and sword + gunplay made me sign up for the beta

From this trailer 

Then the wall running really sucked me in no matter how flawed. 

Mainly from this trailer 

Anyone says, you can't control it and go where you want, is no skilled wall running Tenno. Period!

Mod and customization complexity is what kept me here after the mod overhaul.

Edited by RawGritz

I found the simple style of the Tenno very appealing. When other games go for dark, gritty, and gory just for the sake of being dark, gritty, and gory, it ruins the game, which is why I enjoy Bioshock Infinite and hate games like, say, Max Payne 3 or CoD. On the other end, there's Warframe- it was very, very dark, and there was a reason: The Tenno were on the edge of extinction, we were a dying race. We were primitive and had to use the bare essentials. As time went on, the game got lighter. The game is still gory, but it's not anywhere near as dark and gritty as before, because the Tenno are now on the rise. 

The appeal is not the game. It's the evolution of the game, and with every evolution you feel that you're going through Deja Vu. You've played it before, but it's not the same game. That feeling is something that doesn't really go away, and that's the reason we all suffer burnout as well. This game is something that needs to be taken in light doses, but it's worth it because you get to see things change. You felt like you were oppressed, and the community did too, but after playing for a while, you feel like you could take on endless hordes of Grineer- and you CAN. And the community does with you. It makes you feel like the world's biggest bada$$, to come from nothing and stand over everything. We are powerful. We are many. We are Tenno.

I think that we all take part of that out into the real world, in our own little way. We draw from the good of others, and we learn from the bad that manifests itself here, too. The community is the appeal, because at the end of the day we're all the same- space ninjas.... from SPACE! The game is a conduit, constantly changing as the community does. When you play, you're not YOU anymore, you're everyone who plays this game. You can relate, and something brings us all together.

At least that's my take, anyway.

Edited by UpgradeInProgress

The fact that it was free. The Aesthetics and fast paced gameplay are what kept me around after that. I also liked the devs and their approach to interactions with the community.

Edit: And back when I first started playing Warframe I was rocking the intel integrated graphics card. I was only about to get about 15 fps, and couldn't go past a certain point because infested missions killed my computer. At that point neither the Aesthetics or the gameplay pace mattered to me as I couldn't see/participate properly. I think the devs and the community were what kept me around long enough for me to get a better card.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

I was hesitant to try it, as a gamer without a large history of shooters behind it, but after some friend managed to convince me to give it a try I just found it incredibly fun.

But, really, I probably would have quit after a while if not for a clan of people who took me in and showed me the ropes. Sadly, they don't play any more, but I've met a TON of other personalities (especially here on the forums) that just make it a GREAT place to come back to time and time again. So, as weird as it is to say about a video game, I'm here for the people.