Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[U15 Megathread] Archwing/syndicates/limbo (It's Here Edition)

Letter13

My take on the subject is that DE are trying to evoke the concept of holiness with this. Just look at Excalibur's pose at the end and tell me that "Angel" doesn't spring to mind.

If this is the case, then Archwing is far more appropriate.

Eeeh, that was far from my mind.

warframes are resistant, not protected. you will die if you don't close the shutters. then there's the matter of no air, considering how fast running out of air in survivals can kill you.

don't try to make any of warframes mechanics logical, the game mostly ignores all known laws of biology, physics, ballistics, etc

it's  space magic. often think DE would have been better off making a magic punk style game (yes you can have guns and spaceships in Mpunk), at least that way they can outright say it's magic.

Semantics.

You're mixing up vacuum, cold and respiration needs three vectors that space can kill you (Also there is blood boiling due to radiation depending on proximity and occlusion of the Sun)

We don't have much in the way of resources for respiration, Archwing could easily provide that

Shields _do_ protect from thermal issues but do degrade Archwing could provide a boost

The Warframe _does_ protect against the lack of pressure.

Easy.

Apparently the Archwing connects to the Warframe's pelvis (or his/her behind), so I am not too sure how is going to start supplying oxygen (I am guessing this what we breath anyways) from there. 

The pelvis of a _suit_ why is that hard?

What I want to know is how we get 4 players doing that? does everyone split up and go for different targets?

Edited by SilentMobius

Well, we know little about ordis, he could be ancient and his archwing add on is also old

Well, you can chat with Ordis and get to know eachother.

/shameless-self-promo

As you said it yourself, Arch is of ancient.

Most Tenno's are from an ancient civilization. So Arch makes more sense to me.

Edited by KingTaro

Our shields protect against vacuum and cold. We can tell this from Tenno not losing health while our shields are going down when a window breaks that excessive cold (possibly cold and moisture) causes our shields to function less efficiently. The Tenno themselves are quite well protected from vacuum while in their Warframes, after all, their primary method of exit involved vacuum exposure for much longer than would be healthy for a human.

Given that I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Archwing gives us better shields and a source of life support.

But you have to admit that there are glaring inconsistencies with shielding and protection provided by the exo-suit

First, shield levels are affected by ambient temperature - cold reduces their output - AND YET the "cold" is not sufficient to slow down physiological performance (such as movement speed or endurance) of anyone - not Tenno, Corpus, Grineer or Infested

In deep space, the temperature would be even lower than the planetoids with bad thermostats

How then are there ANY shields?

Why doesn't the "cold" affect MODs like Marathon or Rush or even Fast Hands?

Woefully inconsistent ...

Second, in Survival Missions shields deplete to zero and health falls to near zero (5) in a matter of <30 sec

Again, ONLY the Tenno are affected by this loss of "environmental control"

Seems to me that all the Corpus need to do is turn off Life Support and snuff the Tenno out every damn time

And yet, we are to believe that despite all these woeful limitations of the Tenno exo-suit that the Archwing can overcome them all to the point that we become X-wing Starfighters?

Now that's really pushing "space magic" ....

Which brings us to this FUNDAMENTAL point:  Does DE want to have a "believable" SF action game or is rationality important at all ... 

The pelvis of a _suit_ why is that hard?

Why not just attach it to the back instead?

That would provide a bit more space for self-contained life support than attaching it to the pelvis (not to mention that it would not be the most comfortable place to attach that to, I can guess). 

We would probably just swell up if Warframe is in real life (or at least our blood will boil at low temperatures). 

Not to nick pick, but for accuracy at near zero temperature biological tissues would freeze but it would be very slow because the only means for heat transfer in a vacuum is radiative (infrared radiation)

The common means to cool an object under "normal" Earth like conditions would be convective

Other mechanisms of heat transfer include:

1. Conductive - resulting from direct physical contact between materials at different temperature

2. Convective - through relative motion, like the wind blowing on you

3. Evaporative - related to change of phase of matter, like when you are sweaty when condensed water (sweat) reaches vaporization point (related to temperature and pressure) and becomes water vapor

4. Endothermic solute exclusion - related to change of phase of a solvent (often water) leaving behind material that was dissolved in it (like salt from sweat drying on your skin)

What would make "blood boil" is the effect of zero external pressure of deep space, but the exo-suit is in effect a pressure vessel as its made of "metal" components

Edited for accuracy

Extensively re-edited for readability

Edited by ElHefe

Not to nick pick, but for accuracy at near zero temperature biological tissues would freeze but it would be very slow because the only means for heat transfer in a vacuum is radiative (infrared radiation)

The common means to cool an object under "normal" Earth like conditions would be convective heat transfer related to material surrounding the object

What would make "blood boil" is the effect of zero external pressure of deep space, but the exo-suit is in effect a pressure vessel as its made of "metal" components

I think that post was under the assumption we simply dump ourselves out into space without any pressurised vessels. 

There is so much other stuff that they wanted to add to the game at some point.

Why not go for that stuff first?

Oh right, hype. Like everytime. And then when the Update hits, no one will be able to login/play/dowhatever on Warframe. Just like everytime.

Looking forward to it.

I think that post was under the assumption we simply dump ourselves out into space without any pressurised vessels. 

But implicitly the warframe exo-suit DOES provide a "pressure vessel" effect

If it didn't then Tenno could not RUN across an area which is exposed to deep space vacuum as they do in Hive Missions

But implicitly the warframe exo-suit DOES provide a "pressure vessel" effect

If it didn't then Tenno could not RUN across an area which is exposed to deep space vacuum as they do in Hive Missions

I know the Warframe suit provides the "pressure vessel" effect. 

Maybe I should have made it clearer in the first post. I was writing the post of discussion under the assumption we dump ourselves out into space without anything protecting us (i.e.: naked. No suits, nor pressurised vessels. Just our bare skin). 

I know I'm gonna get a ton of hate for this, but you know what? 

tumblr_mrr7qdMDyE1sdl4iqo1_400.gif

With that out of the way, here's my 2 cents on the whole Archwing deal.

I would like to remind you that this is just my opinion on how I see things.

Jetpacks in space? Cool. 

How does it work? I have no idea.

The problem that I'm seeing is that this will most likely be delayed very, very far back (again) and only be restricted to an event. After that, we maybe will see some mission nodes with this system in it, only watered down a bit. I also expect it to be buggy and glitchy on launch, so that doesn't make things any better.

Another thing is the part where we are in space with no visible source of life support. This makes 0% sense to me at all, unless these missions are gonna be timed to, say, 2 minutes or so or at least having us to return to our ship to refuel on life juice. I say this because I dont see how the hell do the tenno now manage to operate in an airless environment, when before we had to (and still do, I assume) restore life support to the whole area where we are working as a distraction and if said life support reaches 0% we start dying.

So unless DE somehow manage to make up how this all works in a way that it makes sense, I dont see this being any more than a shiny, fragile new toy to play with.

There you go. You may now throw the tomatoes at me.

*roll eyes*

You're that guy that feels the need to decipher how a magician does their tricks aren't you. Incapable of simply just enjoying the show and entertainment. <- This makes 0% sense to me, and is a greater mystery than wondering where the life support is coming from.

#BuzzkillBob

I am not only not hyped, i am still trying to get my head out of hands. I face palmed Star Trek style after this stream. Still no good game infrastructure and no proxy wars and focus but hey let's make a warframe look like gundham mechs in space. How stupid.

I swear you are only in this forum to spread inflammatory responses. 

I am not only not hyped, i am still trying to get my head out of hands. I face palmed Star Trek style after this stream. Still no good game infrastructure and no proxy wars and focus but hey let's make a warframe look like gundham mechs in space. How stupid.

bro, the amount of whine is too damn high xD

how can you be so close minded about a game where you can run on walls while shooting stuff. It seems all you do is complain about everything....

There you go. You may now throw the tomatoes at me.

The only way I can see a backlash of butthurt is if it turns out to be "on rails" (like the earlier version of space combat in SWTOR).  Otherwise, it's basically just another kind of zone with a starry universe for a skybox, and full 3-d movement.  What's not to like?

....what

Archwings are the focus of U15 and you think "The problem that I'm seeing is that this will most likely be delayed very, very far back (again) and only be restricted to an event. After that, we maybe will see some mission nodes with this system in it, only watered down a bit."

No offense, but think a little before posting.

It might suck at launch and for a while after for various reasons, but what you mentioned does make a lick of sense.

Edited by SolidSp33d