Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do People Dislike Coptering?

(PSN)theelix

What I don't understand, is the community.

A few monthes ago, the majority were supporting coptering. Heck even the moderators joined in the "Gotta Go Fast" thing. A major outcry broke out after DE tried removing it. Now it's back. Now everyone is disliking coptering. Either that or a very vocal minority is behind all this.

But maybe the reason ppl don't like it, its cause it wasn't a planned feature, and they also might not like the rush that it allows.

Possibly.

Personally, more than not liking it, I don't feel the need for it. It's only used to go faster, and unless I'm playing a racing game I don't feel the need to go faster. Also, I lose lots of resources, credits and XP by coptering through the level, which is enough to deter me from doing it.

If I need to catch up I simply ask to slow down, so that I can pick up the pace. I don't recall bashing someone in game for rushing. Or I go Solo, since from what I see some rushers don't really care about those who leave behind.

I do use it from time to time though, either when it's clearly the only way to survive, or if I need to get away from the computer as soon as possible and I don't have time to kill everything that moves.

I can see the problem with coptering because in most cases, it invalidates other forms of movement. Is a teammate dieing? The best form of movement is probably to copter across the room. Trying to rush to extraction in survival? Coptering and leaving everything in the dust is also probably the best option. ultimately, while not everybody takes advantage of this, it can create the feeling that you're doing it wrong or are being punished for not doing it. I feel that most people have at some point done a quick copter in some situation at some point because they know it was the best option. This is basically the problem with coptering. While definitely do take advantage of it, removing it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

let's ban volt too! since power duration on his 2 is as effective and fast, if not even faster, than coptering.

"oh but coptering is what rushers use! not volt!"

and if you take coptering away they'll get on volt. rushing is a mentality, not a freaking mechanic.

Fixed.

Anyways the problem with coptering isn't the rushing, it's that it negates the slow heavy frames are supposed to have and it looks ridiculous. 

A simple solution, don't like the person coptering even if its you hosting? = leave mission. If he's coptering when he's hosting and you despise it? = leave the mission. Fact is everyone can play however they like, it's up to them. 

Oh and if the person is harassing you then report. That's how i roll.

Edited by mushypancake

A simple solution, don't like the person coptering even if its you hosting? = leave mission. If he's coptering when he's hosting and you despise it? = leave the mission. Fact is everyone can play however they like, it's up to them. 

That is not an effective solution, it would only magnify the hatred because you're letting it rip you from a mission.

based on my experiences, coptering is used by those rushers. the one that doesnt let you get exp from their kills because they go ahead too far.

they sling themselves about 30meters. im the one of the few thats pushing coptering to not be as that range

That is not an effective solution, it would only magnify the hatred because you're letting it rip you from a mission.

There is no need for a solution as there is no problem. Coptering isn't a problem. It is an adopted mechanic that was born of a glitch.

To everyone bringing up rushers and their various arguments against them: That's irrelevant.

To everyone claiming it looks silly/stupid: That's subjective.

To everyone claiming it invalidates other weapon choices/movement abilities/movement methods: That doesn't even make sense. 

-Weapon choice invalidation- If you're choosing a weapon purely on its coptering abilities, the problem lies with you not coptering. Other weapons do not cease to be viable options purely because they can't sling you as far (see the D.Nikana).

-Movement ability invalidation- Movement abilities allow you to do what coptering lets you do (move long horizontal distances for little stamina) but don't require you to have a copter-capable weapon. Some abilities even allow you to move in ways that coptering does not (read: Vertically).

-Movement method invalidation- '[Movement methods] allow you to move in ways that coptering does not (read: Vertically)'

What this seems to boil down to for most of you is "It allows them to play in a way that I don't want to, and I don't like that". As others have pointed out, coptering is never needed, you are never forced to use it.

It is problem because some players do not like the idea of rushing .In reality most players are fine with it and a vocal minority continues to air their grievance. 

no. I think the main reason is because it looks stupid.

you bypass like 500% of the map with a slide spin animation...

To everyone claiming it looks silly/stupid: That's subjective.

If a large majority of people think it looks stupid, what harm is done making it look less stupid? Worst case scenario, nobody likes it and they change it back. Best case scenario, people don't complain about coptering as much. There's no reason to argue against that.

Fixed.

Anyways the problem with coptering isn't the rushing, it's that it negates the slow heavy frames are supposed to have and it looks ridiculous. 

without coptering, volt's better for things like grineer galleons and stuff, had forgotten about that indeed.

but for open-world maps, zephyr just leaves copters and volts in the dust if modded for it

no. I think the main reason is because it looks stupid.

you bypass like 500% of the map with a slide spin animation...

why want to remove it if it's only problem is it looks stupid? then people should start asking for a better visual effect, not it's removal.

Edited by (PS4)CrimsonShinku

without coptering, volt's better for things like grineer galleons and stuff, had forgotten about that indeed.

but for open-world maps, zephyr just leaves copters and volts in the dust if modded for it

Eh. A max intensity Volt will smoke a Zephyr any day of the week. In terms of getting to hard-to-reach spots though, Zephyr definitely wins.

If a large majority of people think it looks stupid, what harm is done making it look less stupid? Worst case scenario, nobody likes it and they change it back. Best case scenario, people don't complain about coptering as much. There's no reason to argue against that.

Can you prove the majority feels it looks stupid? If not, that argument doesn't matter. What harm? Come on, don't make me explain something like this to you. I know you're far too smart for this. If the idea that coptering looks stupid is subjective, and you can't prove that the majority agrees with your claim that it looks stupid, then making it look 'less stupid' (which in itself is subjective) you risk making things worse for the actual majority (whoever they are). Best case scenario, you're actually part of the majority and DE changes it in a such a way that said majority likes. Worst case scenario you guys overestimated your numbers and the change does not suit the actual majority's desires resulting in upsetting said majority. 

There is a very clear reason to be against such a subjective argument that hinges upon a 'solution' that is subjective in nature.

Because it looks ridiculous. I'd be fine if they made it an ascended exploit and gave it its own animation like with skiing in Tribes.

Oh god YES PLEASE, give it a dedicated animation like Tribes managed to do for skiing and it would be SO awesome...the problem is, how would something revolving around your melee weapon doing a spin attack even look like with its own custom animation.

Can you prove the majority feels it looks stupid? If not, that argument doesn't matter. What harm? Come on, don't make me explain something like this to you. I know you're far too smart for this. If the idea that coptering looks stupid is subjective, and you can't prove that the majority agrees with your claim that it looks stupid, then making it look 'less stupid' (which in itself is subjective) you risk making things worse for the actual majority (whoever they are). Best case scenario, you're actually part of the majority and DE changes it in a such a way that said majority likes. Worst case scenario you guys overestimated your numbers and the change does not suit the actual majority's desires resulting in upsetting said majority. 

There is a very clear reason to be against such a subjective argument that hinges upon a 'solution' that is subjective in nature.

Reading through this thread, one of the most common replies is "I don't hate it but it looks weird". I've gotten similar responses talking to randoms about coptering while in a mission.

Now, perhaps stupid was the wrong word there. That implies personal preference. But the rest of the parkour motions we have are at least somewhat believable, whereas coptering is nonsensical at best. In the end it doesn't really matter, but I think, based on my observation of people's reactions both here and in-game, that a more directional midair animation for spin attacks would solve a lot of the complaints about coptering.

Oh god YES PLEASE, give it a dedicated animation like Tribes managed to do for skiing and it would be SO awesome...the problem is, how would something revolving around your melee weapon doing a spin attack even look like with its own custom animation.

Easy. I think one of the previous posters had a good idea: Raiden's Ninja Run. In other words, "Channeling + Sprint". You suck energy + stamina but can run really fast. This would eliminate the dumb coptering, add risk to the run (autotracking Grineer) and actually but a cost to the superspeed.

Add in Volt's Speed and you get "Sonic".

I used to hate coptering, but I got used to it. It's rare nowadays so that helps a lot. Also it looks stupid.

Anyway, I think that parkouring can be way more useful. Since I play a lot of Titanfall I frequently use walls as a speed boost to launch myself forward. Most of the time it is more effective than coptering.

Easy. I think one of the previous posters had a good idea: Raiden's Ninja Run. In other words, "Channeling + Sprint". You suck energy + stamina but can run really fast. This would eliminate the dumb coptering, add risk to the run (autotracking Grineer) and actually but a cost to the superspeed.

Add in Volt's Speed and you get "Sonic".

You do realise the reason people LOVE coptering is that you can clear a whole room in 1 swing, that means any gap, canyon, or whatever would be below you, basically the ability to fly over things...the only way this has been somewhat replicated is with Zephyr's 1.