Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Everyone So Concerned About Solo Players?

Tesseract_The_Pariah

First of all, I'd like to say I can definately relate to you solo players locked behind strict NAT, but your game is malfunctioning.  The developers are designing the game around the functional cooperative experience, and are trying to find a way to get around whatever network problems you have.  They cannot instantly account for whatever quirks you have with your ISP/Router, but they are most certainly working on fixing it.

It sucks for you, but DE has to focus on the Majority -- people who CAN and WILL play together.

Now, into the meat of the discussion.

I bring up this post.

And the fall of the solo player begins

Uh huh...  So...  Warframe is apparently a Solo game?  Solo game is the focus?  Look at this.

https://warframe.com/game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warframe

Is this game advertised as a single player game?  Is this game advertised as having a focus on people who play solo?  it does mention playing solo, once, but the rest is focused on Cooperative ninja fun.  Solo is mentioned almost as an afterthought.  Which it is.

Plus, look at the rest of the game.  Look at the media -- always a squad of Tenno working together.  This IS a cooperative third person shooter.  Not a solo one.  Solo game mode is like Arena gamemode in Tf2.  An afterthought compared to what other things they must focus on in the game.

Point is; they aren't accounting and don't have to account for something that is an afterthought.  They must cater to the core experience of the game, and that is the cooperative one.  It is for people who play with other people; that is what this game is most certainly based off of.  That is the premise.  That is what they design around.

There never WAS a solo player focus, and there seldom is save for the barest playability.  They have far too much to worry about in terms of the actual focus of the game.

Asking them to account for the strictly solo players is like asking Bethesda to account for Cooperative players in Skyrim.  It's ludicrous. 

Even World of Warcraft has plenty of options to entertain the solo player, and it's an MMORPG.

Asking them to account for the strictly solo players is like asking Bethesda to account for Cooperative players in Skyrim. It's ludicrous.

You mean like Bethesda giving their community a whole game based on Cooperative Multiplayer?

Edited by Archistopheles

Keep in mind I understand that this is a Co-op game, I do get to group up once in awhile. But they should try to consider every stiuation.

Another thing I would like to mention is in the past DE was always considerate about how solo-players would be able to handle a new concept or certain mission, I am not asking for them to change the game to the way I want it to be.

Edited by Aciaj613

Keep in mind I understand that this is a Co-op game, I do get to group up once in awhile. But they should try to consider every stiuation.

They cannot.  They have limited resources and must focus on the most important aspects of the game.

Even World of Warcraft has plenty of options to entertain the solo player, and it's an MMORPG.

That doesn't mean Warframe has to.  And the Majority of content in WoW is for huge raids or parties.  If you want a big payout, you gotta go co-op.  Just like Warframe. 

Then why is "Solo" even an option in the game?
If they aren't going to account for it why even give players the option?

Further, they should account for it.
Even MMORPGs give tons of options and content for solo players that wont group up.

And what is wrong with properly scaling the difficulty and challenge so that a solo player can achieve everything outside of dedicated group play, currently late wave defense and late time survival?
Why shouldn't DE actually make it viable for solo players to actually play through the game and experience all but that content?

What do you have against solo players?
If they actually made the content appropriate for solo players as well as groups how would it affect you?  And why would you care?

I think the devs should care about all players that are interested in Warframe. 

Saying that someone's game is malfunctioning because their internet has strict nat (probably the only kind of internet they have access to) and therefore it's their fault and shouldn't play isn't really right and I'm glad the developers have never taken that stance.

It's a hardware issue, and just lke there are graphic detail sliders in this game to accomodate folks with less abled computer systems there will be players who have to play solo due to strict nat.

The devs can't really change the game to get around strict nat, but they can develop the game so that it's both co-op and solo friendly.  If they made the game impossible for anyone to play solo and you always had to find a party of 4 to have a chance at succeeding in a mission, there'd be a much greater uproar.  (some of us only like to play with friends and what if our friends aren't online?)

You comaprisim with skyrim is bad since skyrim doesn't offer a coop choice. But Warframe however offers players the option to play solo. And if a Game does that it has to be functioning for those who want to play solo too.

Im not one of them as i want to play a Coop game and im not into singeplayer that much but still i can understand people who want it and as i said before, the game gives them the option to do it, so it has to work.

I want to play this game as RTS with dating sim elements. I have a right to play game my way, and DE should be considerable of that, or they are bad moneyhungry egoists.

Except that the solo players want to play in a way that DE has already said is OK and already has implemented into the game. 

You are not helping any discussion here. 

i like solo a lot, sometimes i dont have problems with other people joining my session, when im host,   but sometimes they are afk, and im waiting to   open a door... etc... or if they are friends keep talking among them , while ill w8, so solo is a good option

Well I find that as a solo player myself I am very concerned with this matter.

I am not saying that DE needs to ignore everything else and look after us solo players just that they need to look at balancing in solo, many "coop" games have neglected this and cut out a large amount of player when all it would of taken is very little work to keep them.

Cutting of groups of players to satisfy the bigger group is a slippery slope that only leads to the games death. 

Edited by BrotherIcarus

This is thread kinda has the same points that youd see in an anti pvp thread. "DE cant do this or DE cant do that" How do you speak for DE? Also if its in the game as a feature, it should be treated as such. Maybe not given priority, but should be just as important as anything else.