Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Now This Is How Galantine Or 2 Handed Swords Should Work! (Destiny's Sword Of Crota)

(PSN)Alphapsykongaroo

skip to 2:26 in the video below, since this person didnt know he could do combos with this sword before then. not only do the attacks and flow of the combo looks good, i like how the effects arent all cheezy like warframe as well, like the subtle glow on the blade whenever it gets swung. the way they did the effects on it actually makes it feel sharper and deadlier than warframe effects.

http://youtu.be/bJGN05XW5oo

Edited by (PS4)Alphapsykongaroo

skip to 2:26 in the video below, since this person didnt know he could do combos with this sword before then. not only do the attacks and flow of the combo looks good, i like how the effects arent all cheezy like warframe as well, like the subtle glow on the blade whenever it gets swung. the way they did the effects on it actually makes it feel sharper and deadlier than warframe effects.

I don't know what video you are looking at, but the animation in that one is really janky and the sword effects are HIDEOUS.

I don't know what video you are looking at, but the animation in that one is really janky and the sword effects are HIDEOUS.

are u kidding me? many combos in warframe are cumbersome, awkward and not used. and people have been asking for a way to disable cheezy effects on weapons for a long time, such as that green fire of radiation or the corrosive effects that look like it's from some late 1990s or early 2000s fantasy game.

Edited by (PS4)Alphapsykongaroo

I like the feel of the weapon. Nice combos too and that reach.

I'm sure that a lot of us like to overcharge melee weapons and push it to it's limits until it explodes in your hand XD 

"GG I broke the sword"

~Mogamu  

Edited by H.Katsura_999

http://youtu.be/bJGN05XW5oo

That's the way I always thought the Galantine was supposed to hit.

Destiny's swordplay looks stiff, but it flows better than WF's. The animations are also satisfying, and there are gap closers so you're not getting juked by a Grineer Butcher who is casually walking away from you.

But I've still seen better melee combat in other games. If you want to pull from MMORPGs, Black Desert Online's looks immensely satisfying. Even for a hotbar RPG.

It's probably a lot to do with the screen shake and the sound effects/animations to cover up the floatiness of hotbar rpg combat, but still. Every hit is meaty and chunky.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

-snip-

My main gripe with it is how...locked I feel with Warframe's melee system. 

I really think things would be enjoyable if we had two basic attacks that we could choose to combo one after the other that might chain into more complicated animations and thus have us work for our combos and feel like we're DOING IT rather than just mashing E to go through what to me kinda feels like it's on-rails in a way. 

If that makes any sense. 

The melee just isn't fluid in WF and thus beyond regaining health with it, isn't a system I honestly enjoy unless it's used with Ash or Loki to cleave through idgit hordes. 

My main gripe with it is how...locked I feel with Warframe's melee system. 

I really think things would be enjoyable if we had two basic attacks that we could choose to combo one after the other that might chain into more complicated animations and thus have us work for our combos and feel like we're DOING IT rather than just mashing E to go through what to me kinda feels like it's on-rails in a way. 

If that makes any sense. 

The melee just isn't fluid in WF and thus beyond regaining health with it, isn't a system I honestly enjoy unless it's used with Ash or Loki to cleave through idgit hordes. 

I agree. Combos in WF are focused on flash and animation rather than actual effectiveness. It's not fun when a Grineer Butcher is casually walking away from you while you're busy flailing around hitting air. Add that to the fact that the combos are all canned, and that you ahve to commit to a melee weapon because the switch time is so long, and melee just isn't that fun unless you really enjoy that sort of thing.

Custom combos were actually planend at one point in development, if the livestreams are anything to go by. I'm guessing this was junked so they could push Melee 2.0 out in time since it had already been delayed by about three months.

I agree. Combos in WF are focused on flash and animation rather than actual effectiveness. It's not fun when a Grineer Butcher is casually walking away from you while you're busy flailing around hitting air. Add that to the fact that the combos are all canned, and that you ahve to commit to a melee weapon because the switch time is so long, and melee just isn't that fun unless you really enjoy that sort of thing.

Custom combos were actually planend at one point in development, if the livestreams are anything to go by. I'm guessing this was junked so they could push Melee 2.0 out in time since it had already been delayed by about three months.

I honestly wouldn't mind yet another melee overhaul. Maybe the stances could, rather than box us in, give us the means to more in-depth combos and maneuvers we could pull off. 

To fit it into lore, the Stance Mod would imbue our Frame with a fine mastery of the weapon the second he/she laid his/her hands on it. Rather than reclaiming old and foggy memories of how to twirl an Orthos just so to gut a Scorcher, the Stance Mod relays techniques that have somehow been grafted into the mod, loaning the Tenno the stances 'memories' on how to wield that weapon, allowing for us to go through, do more in-depth maneuvers, with a far more intuitive and free flowing combo system more in line with other melee oriented games. 

More control is what I'm wanting here. 

You want to trade damage unfavorably and do limp, boring, inconsequential slashes while dashing around like a silly person?

This video made me appreciate what Warframe's animators have done some more.

Damage is just a numerical value. Also, you must not have eyes, as those inconsequential slashes and dashing like a silly person seemed highly effective. They look no more or less silly than the animation that currently plays in WF when you kill enemies while channeling in WF. Stop being an &#!.

You want to trade damage unfavorably and do limp, boring, inconsequential slashes while dashing around like a silly person?

This video made me appreciate what Warframe's animators have done some more.

That "dashing around" is something WF melee needs. You know how I mentioned Grineer Butchers waltzing away from you in both of my posts? Yeah, that "dashing around" is a gap closer that lets you pursue fleeing enemies. We currently have gap closers (the Berserker Barrage slashes on Swirling Tiger and the leaping parts on Iron Phoenix/Crossing Snakes), but they come at the end of combos and not when we need them most.

A customizable move system could allow us to add leaps and dashing strikes to our combos. Preferably, we would be able to do them on command so that melee users wouldn't have to wait on a specific part of the combo to execute while the enemy is running away. WF's melee is focused more on flash and aesthetics, yet there's often no reason to do any of those combos when most enemies are out of your range. Destiny's melee combat looks stiff and unnatural, but it does some basic things correctly that WF melee does not.

On a related note, does anyone else find holding the Galatine/Scindo/Gram with one hand completely ridiculous?

Edited by Noble_Cactus

On a related note, does anyone else find holding the Galatine/Scindo/Gram with one hand completely ridiculous?

You left out the Fragor and Magistar - but joking aside, I definitely see where you're coming from and I agree completely.

Heavy melee weapons like these should only be carried in one hand when the rest of the weapon rests on the shoulders for support - except when charging into melee of course.

The Galatine reminds of me of the German Zweihänder from the early 1500's which required two hands to wield properly due to their weight and length.