Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Space Is Supposed To Be "soundless"

Psycomet

Secondly, YOU CAN'T MAKE SOUND IN SPACE. Period. Go read the physics books. It's not a matter of opinion.

Don't really see how this is relevant in a game where we already break the laws of physics on a daily basis, from stopping time by stomping on the ground, Hollywood magnetism, transforming into water, creating swords out of nothing, etc.

[My original post]

Today I faced a 'terrible' bug. Some of the sounds in Neptune archwing mission weren't playing. The result? MIND-BLOWING.

I have wanted to write this since archwing came out... yes so archwing can make sounds in space but why am I hearing enemies firing weapons and bits of ships whizzing past me? IMO there is too much sound in archwing.

Anyone play Deadspace? I do not think anyone will disagree that when Isaac is flung onto outer space and there are no other sounds than his breathing and heartbeat... THAT is the most exhilarating experience ever. Now you will tell me I want WF to sound like other games. No that is not what I am saying.

There is too much sound. Period. It is not realistic. Nor is it cool. I do not want to hear enemies exploding. I just want to hear empty ghastly music and the sound of my own gun and archwing. I do not want to hear Doppler effects of my missiles going peeeewww! I want the archwing to make different sounds giving me cues when I am being shot at. It just does not make sense that I can hear enemies' guns.

In addition, there is no signal or warning sound when hellions lock on to me so it makes the whole 'flares' thing a bit pointless. Hope there is a fix coming for that.

Please heed my call, dearest Sound Team!

A little clarification: Maybe I mushed it all in one paragraph but I think I included something saying that I don't want it to be completely silent. Here's what I'm looking for in terms of feel:

-A little different mixing of sound to create an atmosphere as close as possible to actually being in space. Examples?

----When Archwing is hit it will make a high-pitched "cry" that only the Tenno will hear. The more damage it takes the higher the pitch will be. Also the sound will vary depending on what type of hit it was like rocket, laser or melee.

----Actual sounds of enemy guns firing will be absent/heavily muffled.

----Melee sounds will be distorted heavily but will be amplified to create a sense that the enemy is in yo face.

----There will be beeping sounds when missiles are locked on to you.

-Silence. That is not to say mind-numbing monotonous silence. As someone said in the other thread I made accidentally: "silence is also a sound effect."

-Not just for the sake of realism but also to create a feel that this game mode is much different than other game modes in WF. Hell just distort and muffle all the current sounds and it'd be less frustrating.

-An ominous feeling of destruction and desolation of empty space created by music. <Already there!

How about a true Archwings sound option the menu?

Don't really see how this is relevant in a game where we already break the laws of physics on a daily basis, from stopping time by stomping on the ground, Hollywood magnetism, transforming into water, creating swords out of nothing, etc.

that´s because laws of physics were broken by the unnatural powers fueled by the warping nature of the void energy, a broken corpus ships is still just a ship not a warframe, the game is not only a space fantasy shooter, it also has rpg elements that demand that things make sense, how well they acomplish this would give depth to any lore the dish out.

other than that I can see how could sound happen on the corpus ship map, on this tileset you can´t leave because a force field prevents you, that could mean the air that was inside the ship also can´t escape, we can also note that there is fire in some parts of the wreckage, so the ship broke the air was spread thin but can´t escape so we have muffle sounds. But on open space tilesets must be different.

During the development of the Archwing levels we thought a LOT about what space should sound like.  We had prototypes where there were barely any other sounds playing and we also had prototyped "muffling" a lot of sounds.  In both of these scenarios it was hard to hear the enemy and hard to tell the position of things around you.  And, in the case of muffling or occluding things, we found that a lot of sounds would build up in low frequency audio content and they would just turn into mushy indistinct sounds.  

So we opted for a different experience than in regular Warframe maps by making things like explosions, enemy vehicles, and bullet fly-bys sound different in space than they do on normal maps.  This gives the Archwing experience a new type of sound "feel" while not completely taking away too many auditory cues for players.

There is also custom space ambience that you can hear throughout the maps that help to give a lonely "out in space" characterization to space.

We still have a number of new sound ideas that we are trying out for the Archwing levels and we are always looking to improve what is currently there... so it's not yet a perfect experience but we are working on it.

During the development of the Archwing levels we thought a LOT about what space should sound like.  We had prototypes where there were barely any other sounds playing and we also had prototyped "muffling" a lot of sounds.  In both of these scenarios it was hard to hear the enemy and hard to tell the position of things around you.  And, in the case of muffling or occluding things, we found that a lot of sounds would build up in low frequency audio content and they would just turn into mushy indistinct sounds.  

So we opted for a different experience than in regular Warframe maps by making things like explosions, enemy vehicles, and bullet fly-bys sound different in space than they do on normal maps.  This gives the Archwing experience a new type of sound "feel" while not completely taking away too many auditory cues for players.

There is also custom space ambience that you can hear throughout the maps that help to give a lonely "out in space" characterization to space.

We still have a number of new sound ideas that we are trying out for the Archwing levels and we are always looking to improve what is currently there... so it's not yet a perfect experience but we are working on it.

I personally think its pretty good but i would like if you changed the sound of the Imperator, for a large machine gun it sounds more like a paintball gun.

While near total science except for what is transmitted through your suit/body would be more realistic the game isn't really about realism, we're space ninjas, in space, the sounds helps awareness, and could be argued the suit makes the sounds you should hear to give you the same level of awareness normal audio cues in atmosphere does. A virtual soundscape if you will.

Edited by KriLL3

We could just make it so you hear voices of stuff when they hit you. Archwing, weapons, bullets passing by can all bea heard, also debris from explosions can create some noise. That wouldn't be too quiet or too difficult to simulate either.

To reinforce your point, in most maps we seem to be flying through debris fields, this means that potentially some air from destroyed ships may have been vented out in space, causing sound waves to be able to travel and enter our ears hitting the eardrums of our Tenno and producing audible stuff, this will also explain how the corvas has damage falloff, vented atmosphere in space causes there to be a rapid slowing of projectile speed causing the corva sot have dmg falloff over the distance

May i suggest more sounds for machinery and stuff in corpus levels? There should definitely sound like therea re more moving parts around in corpus ships to reinforce their robotic theme during the trench run missions, and the energy shield around the ships could perhaps emit a buzzing sound when you reach too close to it?

Edited by Somedude1000

To reinforce your point, in most maps we seem to be flying through debris fields, this means that potentially some air from destroyed ships may have been vented out in space, causing sound waves to be able to travel and enter our ears hitting the eardrums of our Tenno and producing audible stuff, this will also explain how the corvas has damage falloff, vented atmosphere in space causes there to be a rapid slowing of projectile speed causing the corva sot have dmg falloff over the distance

May i suggest more sounds for machinery and stuff in corpus levels? There should definitely sound like therea re more moving parts around in corpus ships to reinforce their robotic theme during the trench run missions, and the energy shield around the ships could perhaps emit a buzzing sound when you reach too close to it?

Physics do not work like that though. The pressure difference inside and outside creates a potential, in which case gas has tendency to spread.

Think like that, if there is 100 mlitre of air per cubic meter in debris and 0 in space, when we put 1 m litre into space, there is 99 in debris and 0.000000000000000001 in space. When we keep giving and there is 1 m litre inside and 99 outside, difference is 1 vs 0.0000000000000099, and when inside reaches 0, outside is 0.00000000000001, system seeks to make the smallest difference between both, so it will keep giving until there is no air molecules inside.

Edited by Cemges

Personally i cant "hear" where archwing has its own "sound feel" it seems pretty generic, and doesnt seem spacey at all, i just feel like im flying around in some vr training sim. An alternative sound option would be amazing!

Edit: didn't mean for this to come off as non-constructive. The sky box is amazing. The movement is amazing. The action is great! I like the way the mods are built. No serration scenario. Looking forward, very much, to seeing more wings and weapons. My only negative views lie in the generic sounds and the intelligent-less ai. I cant stand that they all swarm one point. Seems very non-lifelike imo.

Even just to barely muffled the sounds and ONLY PLAY SOUNDS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE: impacts, gun vibration, the intense speed vibration, sound waves generated from engine compression/ rifle compression, etc

Edited by eternaL1

Personally i cant "hear" where archwing has its own "sound feel" it seems pretty generic, and doesnt seem spacey at all, i just feel like im flying around in some vr training sim. An alternative sound option would be amazing!

Edit: didn't mean for this to come off as non-constructive. The sky box is amazing. The movement is amazing. The action is great! I like the way the mods are built. No serration scenario. Looking forward, very much, to seeing more wings and weapons. My only negative views lie in the generic sounds and the intelligent-less ai. I cant stand that they all swarm one point. Seems very non-lifelike imo.

Even just to barely muffled the sounds and ONLY PLAY SOUNDS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE: impacts, gun vibration, the intense speed vibration, sound waves generated from engine compression/ rifle compression, etc

That's exactly what I was going for. I figured if it was cool in Deadspace it should be way better here.

But as George explained, they probably tried that and while it may sound really jazz in our imaginations, it might not have been so in reality. I hope future modifications can find at least find good balance between gameplay and reality in this respect because it really does break the immersion to hear everything as if I were on earth.

Seeing how most of us have not been in outer space, we can't really say what sound in space would sound like.

What we do know is that for sound (In physics, sound is a vibration that propagates as a typically audible mechanical wave of pressure and displacement, through a medium such as air or water. - Wikipedia) to travel, it needs a medium.

While "air" (our atmosphere) does not exist in space, the vacuum of space is hardly empty. Considering that the vibrations will continue to travel in infinite direction with little resistance, you would likely still hear the sound, and rather clearly, since their would be "air" in your frame's helmet.

Complete speculation on my part, I am no astrophysicist, but it seems to make sense.

Just my two cents. ;-)

Seeing how most of us have not been in outer space, we can't really say what sound in space would sound like.

What we do know is that for sound (In physics, sound is a vibration that propagates as a typically audible mechanical wave of pressure and displacement, through a medium such as air or water. - Wikipedia) to travel, it needs a medium.

While "air" (our atmosphere) does not exist in space, the vacuum of space is hardly empty. Considering that the vibrations will continue to travel in infinite direction with little resistance, you would likely still hear the sound, and rather clearly, since their would be "air" in your frame's helmet.

Complete speculation on my part, I am no astrophysicist, but it seems to make sense.

Just my two cents. ;-)

Oh man... like, that's... have you ever heard of particle and wave structure of light etc? Man you need to learn a lot. I am not judging you but this is sort of common sense Edited by Cemges

Suspension of disbelief.

You know what it would sound like if Archwings had space-y sounds? Like permainvisibility Loki but worse and all the time. This isn't some horror game where it's trying to show you the emptiness of space and how space itself can kill you, this is just flying around in a suit, zipping around, and kicking &amp;#&#33;.

The main reason I agree, is because of all the other references in the game to the vacuum effect taking over an area. Like the Corpus Ships via smashing a window, the Infested Ship in some of the spawn/extract areas, etc...

And also, I don't think there's necessarily 'air' in your 'helmet'  ... I don't know the exact quote, but wasn't it "Instantly filled my lungs" (the mag prime codex entry)

It's just strange, even given the fact that the Archwing fuels your bodies' needs, that I expose myself to the raw elements of space, and all of a sudden the sound becomes strange, and then I thrust myself out into dead space, and it sounded just like when I was in my ship. Somewhere along the way, it slightly kills the feel/depth for me personally.

EDIT: Just filter all the sounds, and add an epic track for Archwing mission music :P xD :P xD

Edited by eternaL1