Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hats N' Stats (Not About Limbo)

NOTE: this is not a whining thread, it is intended to bring about discussion about game design and the pro/con to the old system and the current system; this thread in no way asks for a change to be made to the game

This is a thread about the arcane helmets change a few months back.  and i have a question for the community, do you feel as a player, is there something inherently wrong with combining cosmetics and stats,

For those of you who came in over the summer and don't understand please click the Spoiler below for a history.

On May 1st we received a message from Red text telling us of the coming apocalypse, helmets would lose stat boosts similar to those for Nekros, Valkyr, Oberon, Zephyr, and Hydroid. DE was not removing the old helmets but instead removed them from the shop and made the old ones Arcane Helmets they then released the changes a week later- a few days after this they allowed arcane helmets to be traded, 'removing' the complaint it would just make older players stronger again.  

alright now, On this thread ima keep up with responses in a Pro/ con list for each, will be retroactively edited until it loses interest, ave a great day guys-

For stats on hats:

-Fine as long as they are available without plat use

-stats should be available separately from the cosmetic, but still in the same slot (vangaurd speed on thrak looks)

-the fact that we have these hats now and can't get rid of them or remove the stats without feeling like we missed out keeps us using the helmets we don't like for the stats we do, or the helmets we like, that hinder our play, they should be returned to decrease there inherent value, but the stat removal BP's should remain too.

-the ones that are useful are still overused and charge outrageous prices for them, ie. 200p for vangaurd

-Gary oak has more than you

Against stats on hats

-You are using something you don't like

-you will be shamed for not using the 'best' helmet

-cosmetics look nice and removal of stats simplify the Meta

- arcane helmets hindered gameplay in many cases

- most were useless

Edited by RoboticApplesWithLasers

I don't mind having cosmetics that have stats as long as they are obtainable without paying platinum.

Having one cosmetic look cooler to you and another have stats you think are better can be an issue though; perhaps a system could be implemented where you could "fuse" cosmetic items together to have them take the appearance of one skin and the stats of another skin?

I don't mind having cosmetics that have stats as long as they are obtainable without paying platinum.

Having one cosmetic look cooler to you and another have stats you think are better can be an issue though; perhaps a system could be implemented where you could "fuse" cosmetic items together to have them take the appearance of one skin and the stats of another skin?

This. I think this would be a great feature. I really want the stats of Aurora on my fan head, lol.

For any stat combination the playerbase will come up with an "optimal" build. If visuals are tied to this build then those visuals will be considered to be "required" hence the most sensible thing to do is to disconnect the two things.

However the helmet change was more to do with removing those stats from the balancing pool. If DE could have removed them from the game they would have however that would have really caused problem for those who bought them with platinum, hence we have the current situation until most of the the existing "arcane" helmets work their way out of the system (with player churn)

We won't get "helmet stat slots" because DE have no desire to keep those stat bonuses in existence, regardless of player desire.

I think DE took the most correct path of all the options available to them and should stay the course.

Edited by SilentMobius

Stats should not be on cosmetics.
Stats could be applied to the location of the cosmetic, so that you don't need to have this particular helmet, but need to have this particular helmet-slot-stat-booster-thingy.

I would like the stats from my Arcane helmets to be applicable without having to use the helmets, because I don't like the look of the helmets.

I think the original issue with a large group wasn't so much that they had stats at all, it's that the arcane helmets had downsides.  A lot of them reduce a useful stat to buff a weak one and a lot of players didn't wear them because of that, but if you wanted the look you had to take the downside.

Notice how nobody talks about how important the Gambit helmet is to a build?

Ever seen anybody wanting to buy a Menticide helmet?

How many people did you see wearing a Scorpion helmet before the change?

I'm willing to bet that like 75% of the helmets were virtually unused.

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by Rydian

NOTE: this is not a whining thread, it is intended to bring about discussion about game design and the pro/con to the old system and the current system; this thread in no way asks for a change to be made to the game

This is a thread about the arcane helmets change a few months back.  and i have a question for the community, do you feel as a player, is there something inherently wrong with combining cosmetics and stats,

I'm min/maxer to the bone, and now i just can't drop my Arcane helmet (especially Vanguard). DE, pls, do something!!!

As the system stands now, I'm happy stats are out. I'm an older player who has all the arcane helms but compared to no-stat versions, I don't think the buff is really that big of a difference. For example, my favorite is my arcane chlora helm for Saryn which boosts her health if I remember correctly (I mostly prefer it for looks). However, compared to not having it on, the health buff is pretty minuscule especially if you're constantly getting shot.

However, putting stats on helms is a problem, especially if someone may not understand how big or small the buff is. I see people on trade chat asking 100p for arcane helms (some are like 10p now) when frankly some of them do what? Increase sprint speed? If people continue to place such high value on stat boosting items, then there's a problem with people whining they didn't get the special stat item in the first place because they're newer players. Some things come down to skill and no amount of arcane helms are going to make a rhino faster if they don't master movement in the first place. I personally know a friend who bought several arcane helms through trade and was disappointed it didn't make him a god. I don't think the difference between normal and arcane helms is that huge to gameplay, however I do think it's ridiculous some people will paying large amounts just to have, in the large scheme of things, a tiny buff. 

I do think that it was the right decision to get them out of the pool. As much as I like the frost aurora helm, I didn't like the stats which was a problem because we should be free to customized our frames' helms without having to deal with unfavorable stats. We can all have nice no stat helms in which we don't have to choose one over another just because of a number. 

Is there something wrong with stats on cosmetic items? Yes, if they exclusive to being bought with plat or if they force us to make visual choices we don't want (not gonna include primes here for the sake of argument).

That is literally what we were yelling to DE about over and over again when they decided they would make changes to the arcane helmets, of course they took a onther course we all know of.

I'd like the have the changes to stats that the old hemets had, but I'd rather not wear the particular helmet. Say I want the Vanguard's effect, but I don't want to lose the prime look on my Rhino Prime, or I don't want to war the ugly Loki helmet to get the efficiency it offers.

I once suggested that warframes could get "badges" that had the effects that the arcane helmets do. That way you can have the stat changes but still be able to wear any helmet you wanted.

I'd like the have the changes to stats that the old hemets had, but I'd rather not wear the particular helmet. Say I want the Vanguard's effect, but I don't want to lose the prime look on my Rhino Prime, or I don't want to war the ugly Loki helmet to get the efficiency it offers.

I once suggested that warframes could get "badges" that had the effects that the arcane helmets do. That way you can have the stat changes but still be able to wear any helmet you wanted.

Ha! I already have TEN badges!

gary-oak-10-badges.jpg

I love the idea of having another stat swap like arcane helmets give, a negative for a positive that isn't a mod. 

At the same time, having a certain helmet just for the stats is sort of eh, not using the one you like appearance of best.

I do wish helmets still received stats for newer frames though.

or just chose the stats (two available sets) when crafting :P

but It'd not fix existing arcane helmets... damn :/