Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Players Are Silent

DeathKoala

Maybe they just don't know how to open chat in game.

I had to look it up in the keybinds.

Edit2: Next time this happens I'll try to tell them that chat is opened with "T." That's probably something that should be included in the tutorial TBH.

Updated OP again. Gotta keep that relevant so this doesn't turn into a flame war with people commenting on things already answered.

I've recently been hanging around Apollodorus to level weps, and have noticed that new/low MR players often don't respond at all in chat, even when something is directed towards them.

I feel like a good way to go about fixing this would be to include something in the tutorial encouraging them to communicate with their teams. Maybe the Lotus sending them a message before their first multiplayer mission reminding them that the Tenno are exponentially more powerful when working as a team, so they should be sure to communicate.

Edit: since people seem to think I feel I'm being ignored, I figured I'd clarify. Often I know they read what I typed, because they'll stop opening life support capsules early or whatever, but I just like some form of acknowledgement that they got my message. Helps with feeling like a team and all that. A simple "K" would suffice.

Edit2: Next time this happens I'll try to tell them that chat is opened with "T." That's probably something that should be included in the tutorial TBH.

I think you don't understand that if everyone has their chat window open to reply they might get killed right?? I will not reply just cause some player is in the mood to talk instead of kill the targets. You revive me, I type Thanks or ty id I need to be real quick. 

It's annoying when players seem to have found a good hiding place so they can chat, yet think others that are fighting, should stop to respond.

I think you don't understand that if everyone has their chat window open to reply they might get killed right?? I will not reply just cause some player is in the mood to talk instead of kill the targets. You revive me, I type Thanks or ty id I need to be real quick. 

It's annoying when players seem to have found a good hiding place so they can chat, yet think others that are fighting, should stop to respond.

As I stated, usually I'm just giving advice, so a simple "K" or "ty" will suffice. Just, SOMETHING to acknowledge that they saw what I said. I reply when people talk to me, so I just want them to extend the same courtesy to me.

As I stated, usually I'm just giving advice, so a simple "K" or "ty" will suffice. Just, SOMETHING to acknowledge that they saw what I said. I reply when people talk to me, so I just want them to extend the same courtesy to me.

Ya I understand your point, but you cannot expect ppl to respond cause you had the time to type. Also do they even understand what you typed to type it back. Some can read English but cannot type it well enough to respond. It being an international game and all.

As a beginner player (MR 2) that almost never talks in missions (or anywhere really, until recently), I honestly just miss half of the messages sent to me. I'm just trying to survive and not be a burden. Someone will ask me a question or something and I won't see it until the end of the mission! And it's not out of malice, it's just that I can't focus on everything at once.

I wish there was some kind of ring or sound that lets me know that I got a message.

The tutorial needs work. They should specify that you press T to talk. xD

Other then that +1 OP fine post. 

P.S everyone who is posting NO or just hating on the OP please just don't post because unless you give a specification on why this is a bad idea you should just not post. Posting a single word or posting for attention is a attempt to take the thread offtopic which is intolerable. 

The idea itself isn't bad, but it might be hard to implement it, since we all know the surver can be unreliable at times.

You'd also have to make the mission a little bit more difficult to"encourage" team play, but not impossible for a new player to just solo.

A raid type mission might be the best one to try this.

Here's how you fix this:

- new players get out of the Vor quest and are in their brand new liset

- Ordis pops up and introduces himself

- Ordis then says

"By the way, Operator. There are many Tenno still currently in cryosleep. But many others, like yourself, are now awake. And I am sure they are in dire need of your combat prowess. Pressing "T" will activate your ship's antennae and allow you to communicate with your fellow Tenno. It is considered impolite to do this in person. So when cleansing the filth from this system with allies, remember that "C" opens filters on your helm to allow for verbal communication. You do remember how to talk, do you not, Operator? If you have forgotten in cryosleep, Ordis does contain instructional systems for linguistics. I know over 658 languages."

Just to throw another possibility out there;  Personally I'm the type of person who's going to very rarely if ever type in a mission in all but the most necessary circumstances.  The likelihood of getting even a "k" from me is incredibly low, however it isn't because I'm new, or non-talkative.  It's because I don't actually play utilizing the keyboard.  Taking my hands off the Orbweaver and positioning them on my keyboard is something that takes a few seconds minimum, and that's assuming I decide to opt for a one-handed simple response.

I already see it as an annoyance even with a typing speed of around 60 WPM.  I can't imagine why anyone would ever even try replying to anything ever with a speed lower than that in any place except one where there are no enemies anywhere around.  Even if I were playing on a keyboard the likelihood of me going beyond the most basic of responses are marginal at best.

I'll save chat for when I'm on my Liset.  Currently Warframe doesn't require tactics to the point where discussions are warranted in my opinion.

There seem to be a surprising amount of players who play using a controller of some form in Warframe.  Of course it's safe to say the majority likely run KB/M but it is a possibility.

i usually get screamed at for doing something wrong since im new (like ive seen with others aswell). no point for us to talk really. just go in do the mission and hope for the love of god you dont do something wrong and then leave when the mission is over.

Edited by Noble_One

Reasons they never talk:

1. They don't know how to open chat (solvable)
2. They are not speaking your language (unsolvable unless you can also speak their language)
3. They are too engrossed in their game (solvable but rarely because well they ARE engrossed)
4. They are panicking in survival (unsolvable, let them learn first)

Also, I've never seen your "silent players" on Mercury. They are silent if they are alive, but when downed or have questions they will talk because they have time.

New players are usally totally overwhelmed and intellectual busy figuring out how to play the game, they dont have the resources to type in chat as well.

Plus in other regions there are people that actually dont speak English or think Russian is a superior language or something :)

In high level stuff the most coordination I see is

"pod" = it's being hit

"ouch" = I'm being hit

"oh" = rare mod

"wow" = a worthwhile rare mod

"um" = all is lost

"S#&$" = I'm down

"on me" = stalker / invasion

"ls" = we're low on life support

"wtf" = i'm bad and just went down for a stupid reason

"lag" = self explanatory

"aaaasdaddadwadsad" = i just opened the chat window while trying to move

"hp" = trin or oberon booty call (or anyone that has healing properties)

"gj" = you did a really bad job but i'll congratulate you for effort

Edited by Ordel

"aaaasdaddadwadsad" = i just opened the chat window while trying to move

LOL. 

I can't explain how much I've done this in this game and other games.

I really need to not type mid fight- cause I end up sitting in one spot trynna do stuff.

As a beginner player (MR 2) that almost never talks in missions (or anywhere really, until recently), I honestly just miss half of the messages sent to me. I'm just trying to survive and not be a burden. Someone will ask me a question or something and I won't see it until the end of the mission! And it's not out of malice, it's just that I can't focus on everything at once.

I wish there was some kind of ring or sound that lets me know that I got a message.

That sounds like me! I did a lot of solo first, later did some lower level multiplayer and there was no chat activity, or I was too focused on my crosshair to notice it.

I'm used to hearing a recognisable beep whenever someone sends a message, could be a check box in options.

Is there an option to make chat keybinds, some way to a cfg file for this?