Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

We expected this

9Evbgrk.jpg

We got

O3Nrpto.jpg

But srsly

zcljvXY.jpg

That design doesn't carry the warframe aesthetic at all. There's nothing alien about it. It looks almost like it came from the modern adaption of Transformers.

I was expecting something like Zinogre or a Lung eastern dragon.

Edited by Fundance

While I appreciate the sudden rush of anteater images on the forums, I like his design and can definitely see the dragon inspiration. I vote leave him as is.

Also aesthetics are highly up to the beholder. Changing his design now would be little more than pandering to the vocal minority, And I say minority not because there aren't a ton of people complaining about his seahorse head, but because the forums make up a small amount of the actual playerbase.

If you don't like him, no one is forcing you to use him, and as always there will be color customization, armor, alternate helmets, sygils, syndanas, and badges to customize him to your liking.

- Finally, The name sounds female, i'm sorry but it does. This is what i hate most about it.

Yeah you might want to work on that because that sounds off to say the least.

What exactly is wrong with that to make you hate it?

Monster Hunter is a great example of the very true fact that *there are FEW limitations when it comes to designing dragons*

What successful western game series of that magnitude can you name that strays from the classic depiction of dragons and takes liberties with their designs the way monster hunter does?

As an artist myself, I've come to the conclusion in my time that dragons are one of, if not the most malleable fantasy creatures out there in terms of what can be done with their design. I mean jeez, even look at Warcraft's Faerie dragons. Those things barely look like dragons at all more so than flying newts with butterfly wings and yet they are still dragons by classification. People can make dragons look like whatever the want. It's especially prevalent to see stranger dragons (Such as slug dragons...they even made a Pokemon based on that concept) in eastern art communities like Pixiv.

Again, there are plenty of dragon designs out there that make you say 'wtf'. Do I even need to bring up the Gaping Dragon from dark souls? (technically not actually a dragon by definition, according to the very obfuscated lore within that game) or perhaps Seath the Scalelles? (an actual dragon who looks very little like a traditional one, including having massive octopus like tentacles for a lower body instead of legs)

Puzzle and Dragon has some weird ones as well.

Faedragon.png

1) Still looks more like a dragon than Chroma.

2) Still irrelevant because the COMMUNITY wanted traditional dragons (again, eastern or western, and by that they really mean european or chinese - or a mix of both). DE SAID they were doing what the COMMUNITY WANTED. DE didn't do the community wanted. That's the bottom line. They should've never said they were doing what the community requested. Because they didn't do what the community requested.

That design doesn't carry the warframe aesthetic at all. There's nothing alien about it. It looks almost like it came from the modern adaption of Transformers.

I was expecting something like Zinogre or a Lung eastern dragon.

MHP3-Zinogre_Render_001.png

Still looks much more like a dragon than Chroma. What Chroma is isn't this or anything else you've said it looks like. Excalibur/Excalibur Prime is more like a dragon than Chroma - the shape of his helmets, the fins on his arms, his thighs, his feet.

Faedragon.png

1) Still looks more like a dragon than Chroma.

2) Still irrelevant because the COMMUNITY wanted traditional dragons (again, eastern or western, and by that they really mean european or chinese - or a mix of both). DE SAID they were doing what the COMMUNITY WANTED. DE didn't do the community wanted. That's the bottom line. They should've never said they were doing what the community requested. Because they didn't do what the community requested.

You're really grasping at straws. Fairy dragons lack a lot of characteristics that people expect in a dragon. Of course chroma's resemblance to an actual animalistic being like this is going to be vague - it's a Warframe.

DE severely overestimated how sheltered their community is to concepts that are foreign to the norm.

I thought that was kinda the point of Warframe being free-to-play and not through a publisher.  It gives DE the freedom to be creative with their baby and not have publishers going 'Yeeeaaah...  That's nice, but could you make cold war/near future because that's what we think will sell?'  Yes, they need to make things we like so we continue playing and continue buying Pt but they don't have to produce everything exactly how the community has said they want it because that would be soul destroying.  The creative team would get depressed and disinterested and the quality of work from them would decrease.  (and before anyone says it already has, I mean we would get bad copies of unoriginal ideas instead of unique imagery that some people don't find to their taste)

I'm all for Creative freedom, however there is nothing dragon-esque about Chroma apart from the fact that he breathe's fire, and that's what he was advertised as: The Dragon frame. Also not once did we say that we WANTED our community fan-art concepts to be the final design, however I believe many were expecting that inspiration would be taken from said concepts to see just see what kind of dragon people were expecting.

I'll agree that the static splash image for Chroma isn't very appealing, what with the frontal-showcasing model having such an awkward upright stance, but there's a Hek of a lot of overreacting to this.

The most hilarious thing to come out of all this, to me personally, is how everyone goes "NOT A DRAGON" after a tailed, armored, snouted, bestially roaring humanoid alien spits fire over its head.

Not to mention, the more I see these anteater comparisons, the less I see it. Since when do anteater's have two thick whiskers (totally not anything like what you see every asian-styled dragon have, no sir) and a ridge on the top end of it's nose (again a rather common dragon detail)?

What's more is how so many in the community act like they've been brutally betrayed. The "they didn't make what we asked for!" claim is just so ridiculous to read. If they happened to precisely say "We're making the dragonframe designed on the community forums" then I understand your pain. It isn't the community's incredibly literal Dragon. Their perspective appears to be more in line with "We're hearing the community's request for 'Dragon-Frame' and we're working on our design of it."

EDIT: I'm hyped for this. Chroma has a sort of infested aesthetic and I've been looking forward to that for a long time.

Edited by Tyranti

simple really, shrink the size of the snout.

currently, it is too long, giving the impression of the "anteater" everyone is talking about. if it was smaller like THIS

chroma%20copy_zpsh36ftngs.jpg

it could actually work. do you guys agree?

EDIT: this pic ain't mine. credit to hanzo29:https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/413364-a-make-over-for-chroma/#entry4565050

Edited by patrizl001

You're really grasping at straws. Fairy dragons lack a lot of characteristics that people expect in a dragon. Of course chroma's resemblance to an actual animalistic being like this is going to be vague - it's a Warframe.

DE severely overestimated how sheltered their community is to concepts that are foreign to the norm.

What?! Sheltered?! No, DE ignored what the community actually wanted when we requested a dragon frame.

It's probably never going to happen, but, let's say DE makes a poll to determine wether or not to delay the release of "Chroma" (awful name, but meh) so they can rework the design, based on the feedback given by the community, so as to make him less of an anteater or a sea horse or Lephantis Junior and more like an actual draconic Warframe.

Would you vote to keep him as is, or to change him? This is a "beta", after all, so our feedback, wether positive or negative, should supposedly mean something.

Personally, I'd rather they change the design, this time following the concepts some artists in the community took the time to create.