The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

So, the Devs have been hinting at Chroma becomig better as you play him. What if his ultimate transformed him into a full fledged dragon? Wings grows, tail grows, horn and head combine, pelt fully covers him ect.?

I think that this will just set you up for renewed disappointment. Better to assume he stays the way he is and be surprised.

you are crying over a look.

And yet game companies hire extremely skilled artists and spend tons of money on visual aspects...

Not to mention there are other art forms base entirely on visual aspects like painting and sculpture.

"Look" is a very big deal. 

The "luck" buff they mentioned. I'm hoping that it give all allies a crit chance boost up to 75% on everything. If something is already pass 75% then it goes into red crit. Also 100% proc chance on all equipment. That flame roar from teaser should do this. Pls pls pls

Edited by QuarkBlade

Oh ya I remember that solid line they taught us in school of "dragon imagery" and "Not dragon imagery"

What? Just because dragons aren't real doesn't mean that there aren't many different, established images of what dragons are. You can't just walk up to an apple and say, "That's a dragon." Just because something isn't real, it doesn't mean that we don't have established concepts, ideas, and depictions of that fictional thing. Let's just talk about unicorns. Those aren't real either, but we don't call a rhinoceros a unicorn just because it has a horn. The same applies to griffins, a pegasus, centaurs, and any other mythological creature. A dragon being fictional doesn't make a sea dragon a "real dragon". No. It was given its name because of its size in relation to other fish. It's features are vaguely resembling of a mythological dragon, particularly in its fins and long body, so it was called a "sea dragon". Just like a seahorse is called such because it's head sort of resembles a horse's head. You don't need to be taught "dragon imagery" to know what looks like and doesn't look like a dragon.

As for Chroma, the ugliness aside, the frame hardly resembles any dragon. The helmet is the thing that mostly resembles a dragon (the helmet isn't even the problem, imo. It's the body and stance). Thing is, a skinner frame, with some sort of spikes on the back and a different stance, would've helped make it look more like a dragon. In my opinion, there is a clash of design with the thinner helmet and larger body. A large helmet and large body would've been decent, or a thin helmet with a thin body would've been decent. As well, my biggest issue is with the actual design of the body, and the Twizzler-esque detail (yes, I know, it's not a Twizzler, but that at least is a bit more specific reference to my issue with it). To me, it resembles fur, and looks weird because of it. Whether they went with an armored look (with shoulder armor and forearm armor) or a scaly look, either of those would've been better than the fur-like look that the frame currently has. Even with the fur-like detail, the frame would've looked much better if DE would've segmented the arm, with a clear separation between the shoulder, arm, and forearm, giving off an armor-piece look to the frame, instead of the currently look that resembles Ash's arm (I have the same problem with Ash's arms). The tail looks weird to me as well, being wider at its base (I think the tail would've looked better being like a traditional dragon tail). And last, I have an issue with the coloring of the frame. I'm not talking about the red color. I'm talking about the pattern, and how the arm, sides of the legs, and some of the back are solid colors instead of being broken up with patterns. Even doing that would solve my issue of these parts looking too solid. I imagine that, with a certain animation stance and armor, the dragon frame will look better as there will be separation that will break up the solid color of the arms. I also imagine that an immortal skin will make the frame look much better. In all, I think that DE could've gone a little bit more traditional by adding certain features to the frame, like pronounced spikes on the back, maybe some detail on the arms, some attachments (like what Loki Prime has on his elbows and legs - I think Loki Prime has some more dragon-like features than Chroma, honestly). These things would've helped sell the idea of Chroma being a dragon-themed frame without being drastic departures from his existing design.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

I CARE about visual design.

I CARE about how it makes me feel on a coolness-scale.

I CARE about the Lore behind the design.

I CARE about how it moves and playes in the game-engine.

Design first impressions: Are often MISSLEADING. Why? Camera angle, field of view, lighting, other animations and maby even rigging than in-game.

Evolution engine looks different when playing.

Bottom Line: I think you are too hasty in judging this new warframe.

What if he is absolutely AMAZING in-game and looks AWESOME with other colors a cosmetic gears?

The hatelevel was high with Nekros the anorectik and Oberon the goat as well. Look how well they turned out in the end.

Design first impressions: Are often MISSLEADING. Why? Camera angle, field of view, lighting, other animations and maby even rigging than in-game.

Evolution engine looks different when playing.

So much this , i've been saying the same thing over and over again.

You have poster and a in-game screenshot, they look different by comparison.

The frontal view on poster has issues, head melds with torso making him look like disfigured mass, In-game screenshot has more details where you can see different parts.

In conclusion: poster picture is bit of a mess, angle could better, colour/shade choice didn't helped either.

Edited by Morgax

So much this , i've been saying the same thing over and over again.

You have poster and a in-game screenshot, they look different by comparison.

The frontal view on poster has issues, head melds with torso making him look like disfigured mass, In-game screenshot has more details where you can see different parts.

In conclusion: poster picture is bit of a mess, angle could better, colour/shade choice didn't helped either.

Agreed. For the record though, Sinclair himself have said many a time that warframe lives or dies with the support of their players.

It is wise to respond to the unrest, not so wise to ignore it.

As for design references, you know what I think of? One of my all time comicbook-faves: Nemesis the Warlock.

Organic, yet metal looking, long snout. I admid he is very thin in the body, but most the closest I can think of that allso have a similar design philosophy: biotech and magic.

Considering it's a dragon it's either scales or feathers. And feathers we have on Zephyr already (at least feather-like).

That thing he is wraped in, looks like infested twisted muscle tissue. 

Some dragons have smooth skin. Not all have scales or feathers.

What? Just because dragons aren't real doesn't mean that there aren't many different, established images of what dragons are. You can't just walk up to an apple and say, "That's a dragon." Just because something isn't real, it doesn't mean that we don't have established concepts, ideas, and depictions of that fictional thing. Let's just talk about unicorns. Those aren't real either, but we don't call a rhinoceros a unicorn just because it has a horn. The same applies to griffins, a pegasus, centaurs, and any other mythological creature. A dragon being fictional doesn't make a sea dragon a "real dragon". No. It was given its name because of its size in relation to other fish. It's features are vaguely resembling of a mythological dragon, particularly in its fins and long body, so it was called a "sea dragon". Just like a seahorse is called such because it's head sort of resembles a horse's head. You don't need to be taught "dragon imagery" to know what looks like and doesn't look like a dragon.

As for Chroma, the ugliness aside, the frame hardly resembles any dragon. The helmet is the thing that mostly resembles a dragon (the helmet isn't even the problem, imo. It's the body and stance). Thing is, a skinner frame, with some sort of spikes on the back and a different stance, would've helped make it look more like a dragon. In my opinion, there is a clash of design with the thinner helmet and larger body. A large helmet and large body would've been decent, or a thin helmet with a thin body would've been decent. As well, my biggest issue is with the actual design of the body, and the Twizzler-esque detail (yes, I know, it's not a Twizzler, but that at least is a bit more specific reference to my issue with it). To me, it resembles fur, and looks weird because of it. Whether they went with an armored look (with shoulder armor and forearm armor) or a scaly look, either of those would've been better than the fur-like look that the frame currently has. Even with the fur-like detail, the frame would've looked much better if DE would've segmented the arm, with a clear separation between the shoulder, arm, and forearm, giving off an armor-piece look to the frame, instead of the currently look that resembles Ash's arm (I have the same problem with Ash's arms). The tail looks weird to me as well, being wider at its base (I think the tail would've looked better being like a traditional dragon tail). And last, I have an issue with the coloring of the frame. I'm not talking about the red color. I'm talking about the pattern, and how the arm, sides of the legs, and some of the back are solid colors instead of being broken up with patterns. Even doing that would solve my issue of these parts looking too solid. I imagine that, with a certain animation stance and armor, the dragon frame will look better as there will be separation that will break up the solid color of the arms. I also imagine that an immortal skin will make the frame look much better. In all, I think that DE could've gone a little bit more traditional by adding certain features to the frame, like pronounced spikes on the back, maybe some detail on the arms, some attachments (like what Loki Prime has on his elbows and legs - I think Loki Prime has some more dragon-like features than Chroma, honestly). These things would've helped sell the idea of Chroma being a dragon-themed frame without being drastic departures from his existing design.

There is an image floating around of a greek dragon and it resembles that quite closely, so you can't keep saying that he doesn't resemble 'any' dragon.

Because for anyone with a bit of imagination, he certainly does.

Even alt helmets won't save it in my eyes ^^

Whole figure just doesn't seem right.

nXX3E55.jpg

i think its the "hanging shoulders-impression" people get bestranged about

lets wait and see if its not the looking of the frame because on other pics it doesnt look like chroma "wears" hanging shoulders which we are teached since childhood that it isnt a appropriate look how humans should look like and which gives a impression of "i dont care" or "i dont know what to do" :-) (not english native here, but did my best) 8-)

Edited by VOR73X

there is just one thing i cant figure out about chroma

we know now officially chroma is a dude

yet (something which im not allowed to mention) makes mention of a "her" in relation to chroma somehow

for all we know,there in lies hints to the next frame after chroma

I'd like his Q to be a short-ranged fire breath continuous attack that you can hold down. It will channel and expend energy for as long as its held, and he can sweep it back and forth as if aiming a gun (but is rooted in place while casting). Enemies caught in the flame will take damage and colour-appropriate status ailment, while allies walking through the flames get cleansed of status ailments and receive a small amount of health regen. Chroma himself also regenerates health when hitting enemies with the skill, but not just when channeling.

they kind of mention the firebreathing on the gif was the agressive factor, so it probably is an attack, but i think it still could expel particles of the chosen element from the stubs on his back in a wing-like shape, not for flying but to debuff enemies.

yet (something which im not allowed to mention) makes mention of a "her" in relation to chroma somehow

let start with the name Chromia( or chroma - depends on translation ) was G1 female transformer - also known later as Elita One