The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mentorship Program | Need Mentors

LordOfScrugging

Question

TENNO MENTORING PROGRAM:
PLEASE REFER TO OPEN SLOTS FOR AVAILABILITY

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to wish all Mentors good luck in their endeavors to help new players. If any of you become GoTL then you have my full backing. If possible, try advertising a bit to get some new players attention. Remember, we have been doing this before GoTL went live so stay proud of that fact that you've been helping before the actual "help" arrived
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updates:

I'm back!. now back to business
Notes:

Note: To all my mentors, if you've been contacted by a new player i want to be informed so i may mark you as Unavailable.

Note: DO NOT come into the thread to self advertise. This is not the place for it. Either you are seeking help, or you are volunteering to help

Note: To my mentors, if you feel you no longer wish to partake in my program, then notify me. It pains me to see you go but your wishes will be respected.

Note: To my mentors, i'd like your timezones to put next to your name so everyone can find someone in their timezone. please use this site. just tell me your timezone that's on here. like mine is PDT UTC-7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To all would be mentors: i will monitor if you are active on the forums since this it's a big factor in this program. IF the last time you've logged on was weeks ago, you will be removed!
If you are expecting to be gone for a long period of time, notify me ahead of time and let me know the estimated time of return so that i do not remove you from my list of mentors

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Objectives:

• Seek out and aid any new tenno who may need it.
  • Set the example for the younger generation
  • Maintain a positive relation with the other mentors and pupils
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Requirements to be a mentor:

• Have been a member for at least a year (minus XB1 players)
  • Active forum user
  • Don't be toxic
  • Be willing to help in any way you can

Below is a list of the exemplary tenno who've set out to help the newer generation:

PC:
LordOfScruggingPDT UTC-7 - Available | PM
siralextraffoCET / CEST UTC +1 / +2 - Available | PM
GordoFreeman(PC) - Available | PM
BattleBrows(PC) - Available | PM
Meneliki(PC) - Available | PM
Homer87(PC) - Available | PM
Luther848(PC) - Available | PM
TheGuyverOneEST / EDT UTC -3 / -4 - Available | PM
AigloblamCST / CDT UTC -6 / -5 - Available | PM
KamijoToumaPDT / PST UTC -8 /-7 - Available | PM
TheStag(PC) - Available | PM
BrahkestMST / MDT UTC -7 / -6 - Available | PM
Mr.Lube(PC) - Available | PM
bluntpufferGMT+1 - Available | PM
Rexian(PC) - Available | PM
TobiahCST / CDT UTC -6 / -5 - Available | PM
okinolas(PC) - Available | PM
--.B.--HARDCOREDAVE-PHT UTC +8 - Available | PM
hammerheathenPDT / PST UTC -8 /-7- Unavailable | PM
LuxiferEST / EDT UTC -3 / -4 - Available | PM
CET / CEST   UTC +1 / +2 - Away | PM
FabpsiCET / CEST   UTC +1 / +2 - Available | PM
CET / CEST UTC +1 / +2- Available | PM
PS4:
(PS4)Santar0s(PS4) - Available | PM
(PS4)Arrow_TemperCST / CDT UTC -6 / -5 - Unavailable | PM
(PS4)ELIT3_EXP3RT-01(PS4) - Unavailable | PM
(PS4)IIIDevoidIIIEST / EDT UTC -3 / -4 - Unavailable | PM
[member=] Open  | PM
[member=] Open | PM
(PS4) - Available | PM
(PS4)RyanRFC12345GMT UTC +0 - Available | PM
(PS4)ViggorrahCST / CDT UTC -6 / -5 - Available | PM
(PS4)dice_thrownCST / CDT UTC -6 / -5 - Available | PM
[member=](PS4) - Open | PM
[member=] Open | PM

XB1:
(XB1)A Frikn GrizzlyEST / EDT UTC -3 / -4 - Available | PM
(XB1)SwagScapegoat(XB1) - Available | PM
TonedTyphoon(XB1) - Available | PM
(XB1) - Available | PM
(XB1) - Available | PM
[member=](XB1) - Open | PM
(XB1)LexaHex488(XB1) - Available | PM
(XB1)Lorewalker1022(XB1) - Available | PM

If you are looking for a mentor, simply click on the respective platform and click on the PM link next to the mentor's name to ask for assistance (help in game, advice on builds, etc.)

Those who wish to help out may simply let me know your IGN/PSN/GT so i can update the list. (PSN/XB1 Mentors are GREATLY needed!)

The "I screwed up while editing" Corner:

somehow broke the spoilers so gonna be keeping it in this style. atleast i got rid of the mass of orange text
Other Mentoring Programs:

Edited by LordOfScrugging

I've posted a thread similar to this on German subforums, but will still need to update some of it.  (in time)

if you could send me the url so i can post in in the OP it would be great

I will be unavailable later today, so go ahead and mark me as such.

We can be total chumps and name it KotL or Knights of the Lotus.

Tenno Auxiliary?

Idk

alright i got you marked as unavaiable. and nope. no chumps here ;p only champs :d......./corniness 

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/448014-mentorin-programm-suche-deutschen-mentorin/#entry4979715  the german thread... but its so unready for use you shold better give us some time on reworking it ^^

alrighty. i'll keep it somewhere. just let me know when it's ready. also looking at it. it looks so weird trying to read a different language you don't know. like i tried reading ryan's post and barely made anything out

TL;DR: Community managed guides which are organized to fit new players, as a complement to Mentorship Program.

A little of a side-track, but felt that it can complement the Mentorship program.

May I suggest community maintained tutorials/guides/material to help mentors, so that instead of teaching everything by words, we can put up small "courses" to help ease new players.

Especially to resolve some potential problems I see with most current guides:

1) information overload. Usually, there is only one guide trying to fit everything. It will either completely omit basics, or include too much basic and advance topics together. By breaking the information into "courses" and crafting/ordering those courses so that they fit what a new player is likely to need, we may be able to help more new players. Mentors will then be able to spend their time answering the advanced topics that the basic courses don't cover (indirectly increasing the number of mentored new players supportable)

2) video-only tutorials. videos are useful for showing things first hand. But they are not always the best way to show things because it is temporal based. There are cases where a spatial based guide (like a simple html web page) is more useful. This is especially true for the first guide a new player reads, to quickly give him/her an overall idea, and allow him to pick which parts he wants to read in detail, then jump into the game (as opposed to having to reign in the gaming urges to spend 10 minutes watching a video).  Ideally though, each "course" can come with an attached video tutorial as a complement. (but the written guides should be complete and sufficient by themselves)

3) Outdated/Abandoned. Guides are usually prepared by individuals. Individuals don't necessary keep the guides up to data, or maintain the quality. (often due to time/efforts required. or some cases of players taking a break from Warframe).  Community/Mentor managed guides/course, however, will be managed by a group of people, which should make it more resistant to people going in and out of activity.

To start off, maybe spec the outlines of several "course", and then ask for help from our community of coming up with drafts of each course, which can get refined over time. For hosting, I am thinking whether we can create a main page on wikia and put all the courses as subpages, so that they can be easily maintained/updated and accessible to new players.

Here are some examples (just for idea. not fully thought out!):

Waframe 101 - "wake up to a crash course"

The first one I think we should have is the "crash course", which has the scenario of a new player thrown into a Warframe mission without any preknowledge. This course/guide should cover JUST the essential stuff required by the amnesic (new) Tenno to survive the first mission. It should avoid advanced topics, and focused on introducing the game mechanics based on order of needs (in the immediate play-screen). (This one MAY complement the new in-game tutorial, but should work even for the old one, where we were just dropped into a mission)

Waframe 102 - "Welcome to Liset"

This one is catered for just after the first mission. The new player will be introduced to the essential parts of Lisets, as well as strategic components of gameplay which were not needed in 101, e.g. Affinity, Mastery, Navigation, Arsenal, Market, Codex etc. The goal here is to have an overall picture without going too much into details.

Waframe 103 - "First Modding"

This one should introduce basic modding mechanics. Concentrate on the mechanics rather than any "advice" on how to mod things (the mods available to new players will be limited anyway). Also introduce basic concepts like how to read basic damage, and other equipment attributes not covered in 101 (concepts like shields/health/energy/ammo should already be introduced in 101).

Warframe 104 - "First Squad"

Assuming the new player goes into a co-op mission, introduce the difference of a co-op game from 101. including UI, interactions (like how to revive!!! For me, it was more than a week later when I start the game that I realised that I could revive squad members). Can also introduce more advanced tactical/mission stuff not covered in 101.

Warframe 105 - "More Liset"

Introduces more advanced things like advanced modding (damage 2.0), foundry, syndicates and other strategic components in game-play. After this, the new player should be able to utilize everything on Liset (maybe except kubrow incubation unit, which can be placed into its own course)

Warframe 106 - "Hello, World!"

Introduces the means of communication with fellow Tenno and advanced topics for co-op like chatting, hosting, inviting. Also contain guidelines like how to behave in Recruit/Trade, common abbreviations used, basic protocols, and stuff like avoid Region unless they as masochi.. ahem... just warn them of the quirks of some channels. Rest will cover introduction to relays.

At this point, the new player should be equipped with enough knowledge to continue the game and explore the rest of the game not covered in the basic courses.

Unlike the 100 level courses which are expected to be completed in sequence, the 200 level courses can be more selective, and will cover specific advanced topics (e.g. specific mission types, Sentinels, Archwing, Kubrow, Void/Derelict, Clans/Alliances, Simaris, Conclave etc).

300 level courses can be advanced guides which concentrate on strategies (as opposed to essential knowledge) e.g. tips/guides for specific warframes/builds, special strategies for specific missions.

Sorry for long post.  If there are interested people in this proposal, do count me in.

mhm. anyways i was thinking of getting a name for our little program. similar to the GoTL have their name. we can have some sort of name

could always use something simple that also takes from Star Wars Legends... the Praxeum, or something with a similar feel that not only applies to the mentors themselves but to the group as a whole, those who learn and are taught alike.

new german counterpiece thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/449644-tenno-mentoren-programm/                                                                                                                                       

:P

got it. gonna have it in the OP in a little section.

could always use something simple that also takes from Star Wars Legends... the Praxeum, or something with a similar feel that not only applies to the mentors themselves but to the group as a whole, those who learn and are taught alike.

i'm not sure. sounds like a cool name but i feel that ripping something from another game is kinda meh. but i like the enthusiasm :D

I'm going to be busy studying for exams, so Prime will be doing German thread. I'm not sure how available I will be to help people.

alrighty. ace those exams.

Respect to you and the other mentors for what you guys are doing here.

If a spot opens up on PS4 for helping out, I would like to put forth an application to join and be a mentor.

PSN same as forum name, very experienced in the game & mechanics, high ranked, mature with a mic & also English speaking. EU region.

A players helping players type of Tenno, thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your day.

Respect to you and the other mentors for what you guys are doing here.

If a spot opens up on PS4 for helping out, I would like to put forth an application to join and be a mentor.

PSN same as forum name, very experienced in the game & mechanics, high ranked, mature with a mic & also English speaking. EU region.

A players helping players type of Tenno, thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your day.

i'll keep you in mind. although i suggest keeping tabs on this topic cause i will most likely forget.

So true :(

Makes it easier though for us lol

It will give me time to mark you for Symaris Lex :p

hey i edited the OP, opinions?

You can add me to your list of PC Mentors! I´m with Warframe since early U7, i play a lot, check the Forums every day and i enjoy helping others quiet a lot!

Looking forward to help the newer generation! :)

i appreciate the enthusiasm but if you read the OP, i'm not looking for any PC or PS4 mentors atm. i'd suggest keeping tabs on the topic because i will more likely than not, forget to add you 

looks fine to me.

haha it took a while to fix everything up like that. i even managed to break the OP (which, in hindsight, i should have taken a screenshot of) editing the PS4 Mentors

i'm not sure. sounds like a cool name but i feel that ripping something from another game is kinda meh. but i like the enthusiasm :D

It's from Star Wars in general. After the whole whole disney takeover and the new movie coming, the formerly cannon books and such are labeled "Legends". I agree, though, it's kinda meh.

How about Declension, which is Latin for school, or Scholae, which has the same meaning?

i'm just looking for things that tie directly without feeling like we're re-using someone's concept.

Or we can go with the Romanji for school, Gakkō... thoughts?