Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Warframe Slowly Becoming Pay To Win?

Yazeth

Now, here me out for a second here.

Yes, we all know that Warframe has a really fair system, where you can earn everything and only need to spend money on stuff that are optional. But, there has been a trend that I've noticed, though fairly small, but can possibly be something horrid one day.

Now, nerfs and grinds. I won't be talking about weapon nerfs, as they can be obtained through normal gameplay and can be easily replaced by another OP weapon. I'm more talking about rewards and frames nerfs here.

So, first things first, the drop rate of Fusion Cores was nerfed. This extends the grind for trying to max out R10 mods. At a glance, this just seems like DE's attempt to extend play time and to not have people maxing out Primed mods so quickly (they are pretty OP, so I doubt you should be able to max one within 2 weeks). 

Now, the frames nerf. All the recent frame nerfs (obvious ones, so Ember is not included here since that's subjective) that had occured were clearly done to try to mitigate the farming techniques that people were abusing. Some may say that it was an exploit, or merely just normal gameplay. Let's not talk about this.

Now, the part where I got the Pay2Win idea from emerged from the release of the Raids? Arcane enchantments provide small buffs by attaching them onto your cosmetics, which are obtainable with plat. Helmets are an exception, since they can be obtained from Alerts, but do note that it will take a long time to get the helmet that you want for the frame(s) that need the enchantment. For the best flexibility, it is best to put the enchantment on a Syandana, and this is the main issue.

Syandanas are currently only available in the market. The only syandana that has been given out for free to this date was the Rakta Syandana, which was given 1 year ago. So, if you want to be able to not have the pain to put the same enchantment on 20+ helmets so that you can use that buff on every frame, then the syandana is the best option.

Not only that, but if you want to use a different enchantment, you will either have to buy another syandana, or replace the enchantments on your old syandana. This, combined with the huge grind it takes to get the same enchantment and to stack it 10 times makes it harder for a player to change the enchantments on their syandana, especially if they want a certain look but a different enchantment on. So, if you decide to work with Enchantments extensively, be prepared to spend some plat.

The pay to win issue also came about when the Syndicate weapons were first released. Since the AoE explosions occur after a certain affinity gain, a person can buy a booster to halve the time it takes to get it activated. 

Now, the issues noted here are easily solved by the fact that you can trade plat. but, think about it if DE did not allow you to do so. I would expect complaints on the whole Enchantments and Syandana thing. Luckily, DE's saving grace, and the fact that the enchantments do not even seem to be worth the investment, did not bring light upon this issue much.

TL;DR: The recent increase in grind and nerfs and the addition of Syndicate weapons and Arcane enchantments may be a clue that Warframe is slowly taking in pay-to-win elements.

Whew, that was long. So, what do you guys think? With the increase of grind and these miniature pay-to-win elements being added to the game, do you think DE is walking on a thin line, or is Warframe still safe?

Lel, forgot about Sydicate syandanas. Still, I'm a bit afraid of the future of Warframe now, so no hate, just appreciate. :)

Edited by Yazeth

Syndicate syandas.

Yes DE wants you to play their game longer.

You can't win Warframe so no matter how much you pay you will not win.

Nah btw there are other dungeon based games like warframe, led by evil companies, which are completely pay to win even tho you don't fight with players

Be glad that the new arcanes dont have a chance to break after each use making you have to grind for all that again

Plus, there is 6 syndicate scarfs players can get for free, and by the time players are in raids to get arcanes they should have enough rep to get one, plus its really easy to just trade for 50 plat and buy one

Syndicates have syandanas.

Trader has syandanas.

Helmets are alert rewards.

I barely see any P2W in this game, unless DE decides to make something excessively OP and put it behind a paywall, like Grate Prime :v

Edited by Mofixil

The pay to win issue also came about when the Syndicate weapons were first released. Since the AoE explosions occur after a certain affinity gain, a person can buy a booster to halve the time it takes to get it activated. 

Was unintended, and has been fixed.

Right now the game is Pay to Skip.

This pretty much. But it's definately getting close to the boundry where it's the wrong kind of "pay 2 skip", and it has a lot of it already. I.e., sure you COULD grind for hours upon hours, or days upon days for the new frame/prime stuff OR you could just shell out a stupid amount of money every so often to simply get it added to your account!

Tell me the last thing you won in Warframe.

No man that wasn't my point.

Let me tell you the story of a game, lets call it V

A dungeon based game where everything seems fine to a level

Then some people who spend money to open boxes (which may contain a high level weapon), are on a complete other level then you. And everything is quite expensive in the cash shop btw

Items may break while upgrading, you need to pay money to reduce that change.

You can change your equipments color, but you pay tens of dolars and get a CHANCE to get the color you want.

So while some players who pay real money are able to solo missions,you are not.In some games

Not in warframe, every money i spent on this game, i spent willingly, they deserve it.

I had no idea chroma required so much grinding tho, i bought him with play but i would be so pissed if i haven't.

Lets hope this wont happen again

Edited by Absens

I don't think warframe will become a pay to win game. Unless they make it where you need certain warframes to do certain missions, That may be as close as it gets. Until the game becomes similar to the Skylanders franchise in needing certain characters that can only be purchased with real money. I do not think it'll be a pay 2 win game.

No man that wasn't my point.

Let me tell you the story of a game, lets call it V

A dungeon based game where everything seems fine to a level

Then some people who spend money to open boxes (which may contain a high level weapon), are on a complete other level then you. And everything is quite expensive in the cash shop btw

Items may break while upgrading, you need to pay money to reduce that change.

You can change your equipments color, but you pay tens of dolars and get a CHANCE to get the color you want.

So while some players who pay real money are able to solo missions,you are not.In some games

Not in warframe, every money i spent on this game, i spent willingly, they deserve it.

I had no idea chroma required so much grinding tho, i bought him with play but i would be so &!$$ed if i haven't.

Lets hope this wont happen again

Looks like you don't know what pay to win means either.

Looks like you don't know what pay to win means either.

If spending money gives you advantage over other players, its pay to win. not only pvp

'So while some players who pay real money are able to solo missions,you are not.In some games'

Stahp applying pressure on me :(

Edited by Absens