Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Did You Actually Noticed A Difference In "post Pbr Excalibur"?

osheroth

What does it take to do so? Crank up the graphics settings? Have a keen eye? I honestly do not see the difference.

P.D: I always run him with the inmortal skin and pendragon helmet. 

Edited by osheroth

The textures and the way the suit reacts to light are much more detailed now. So instead of looking like a "generic glossy object" like a simple model with a simple specular reflection that you'd see in an outdated game (e.g. the majority of shiny objects in games like TF2 or Vindictus, which often look like shiny bits plastic recoloured to look like metal), the glossiness of the suit has been updated to be nice and detailed so players can actually get a feeling for what the material is (Metal? Cloth? Plastic?), or what it would feel like if touched (Rough? Smooth? Slippery?). It's a bit hard to describe with words other than "it looks more realistic".

The PBR changes are a lot more noticeable with metallic objects, namely things like Corpus boxheads and the freshly-polished Grineer pipes. They actually look like glossy metal now, rather than shiny bits of plastic with metallic colours.

You don't need to crank up your settings at all to see the changes (not on DX10 or DX11, at least; haven't tried DX9 yet); just equip your Excal in his default skin and check out his details on your Liset. The updated appearance causes him to have a more crisp, realistic effect, and less like a typical 3D model with a simple specular map slapped on.

Edited by SortaRandom

The textures and the way the suit reacts to light are much more detailed now. So instead of looking like a "generic glossy object" like a simple model with a simple specular reflection that you'd see in an outdated game (e.g. the majority of shiny objects in games like TF2 or Vindictus, which often look like shiny bits plastic recoloured to look like metal), the glossiness of the suit has been updated to be nice and detailed so players can actually get a feeling for what the material is (Metal? Cloth? Plastic?), or what it would feel like if touched (Rough? Smooth? Slippery?). It's a bit hard to describe with words other than "it looks more realistic".

The PBR changes are a lot more noticeable with metallic objects, namely things like Corpus boxheads and the freshly-polished Grineer pipes. They actually look like glossy metal now, rather than shiny bits of plastic with metallic colours.

You don't need to crank up your settings at all to see the changes (not on DX10 or DX11, at least; haven't tried DX9 yet); just equip your Excal in his default skin and check out his details on your Liset. The updated appearance causes him to have a more crisp, realistic effect, and less like a typical 3D model with a simple specular map slapped on.

I did noticed the visual upgrade on the grineer pipes, now that I know all of that I will take a second look, thanks. 

PBR is mostly for architectual visualisation, it still has to proof its usefuelness in game graphics

lighting effects on the surface of objects are calculated in realtime from values rather then

being achieved from premade texture effects ...

in any case, as an artist u lose control with this method, as an designer u can save a lot of time creating assests

that way ... but its an generic general approach that cant lead to excellencie, its only good for mass production

in warframe it leads to redicules overbright highlights and unpredictable coloring

the creative part of PBR is pure code based, so in the end, it will make crearting unique, sophisticated

graphics in games more difficult ( as u Need an Artist and a programmer)

and thus will lead to more mediocredity in games ...

regards

let me direct ur attention to this Video, if u are interested in seeing the most advanced game graphics possible todate:

the game was released in late 2013 on Xone but was seven years in the making,

it even surpasses most of the pre.rendered cinematics when it comes to

global Illumination and face animations .. this video shows the maxed out PC version

crytek was able to use deffered lightening even in the Xbox Version of the game,

they use PBR for difficult materials like hair and skin ...

thats when the best programmers and artist in the world are brought together

by someone who is willing to put all money and effort into achievments and breaking new ground (for all of us)

keep it up ^^

regards

What does it take to do so? Crank up the graphics settings? Have a keen eye? I honestly do not see the difference.

Immortal Skin's PBR isn't like default Excalibur skin's PBR. Immortal skin's PBR is like Mesa's material. And the reason I know is because it's much less glossy/shiny than it used to be. Unless they just removed the gloss/shine.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

PBR added a finer detail.  You will notice his armor has a skin-like bumpy reflection now.

It has different material texture and reflection properties on different parts. Used to look more like plastic overall

JdHeGoj.jpg

^Good example.

dz1XJaN.jpg

Left : Cicero event and before color update.

Right : Now.

This is after PBR update screenshot.

tOspXHv.jpg

Pendragon helmet looks even more weird than before.

Prime gold is now actually gold on his Prime's helmet

You guys realize PBR isn't on his immortal skin, prime excal, or alt helmets right? It's only on his default skin and helmet.