Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There Are Two Kinds Of Tennos

CanOfBeans

I'm mastery 18 as a result of playing for a longish period of time. In the course of that time I have experienced a lot of changes, buffs, and nerfs.

When I see, for example, a MR8 player I don't assume they will suck or I'm better, more skilled.

I do notice MR8-12 players who brag about being highly skilled don't use anything other than frames built towards solo gameplay and a very thin range of weapons.

Also, skill? Lmao okay I guess so lol

A high MR doesn't automatically indicate skill, and a lower MR doesn't indicate lack of. But it allows for inference of probability.

For instance, if you used any performance metric, I would think that the percentage of total MR19s that meet that standard would be significantly higher than that of say, the percentage of all MR5s. The narrower the MR gap of comparison, the less of a difference it would make, but the idea that MR does show something is statistically valid.

Player performance would follow a gaussian distribution though, so there will be high MRs who underperform compared to skilled lower MRs on that metric.

Point is, neither A or B is right because their opinions are oversimplified into two opposing options.

Also, i ranked up for utility. extractors, trade limit, syndicate rep and hopefully focus.

I'm on my way to MR10 (failed the test) and that's only because I want another Extractor running. I have about 20 weapons total, and all of them have 3-6 Forma each, and all but one is potatoed. There's no real reason for a high MR currently except to inflate your E-Penis, so I don't really bother. If they implement the Focus system though......

I want that MR 29 Sigil doe (yes I know it's impossible to hit 29 currently). Looks amazing. I'm also doing so for the focus system and not having to worry about grinding MR when the next MR locked weapon comes out.

Edited by Avenwing

Tenno A.

Unless I REALLY want a weapon, I ain't gonna level it. And when I'm done leveling it chances are I'm going to keep it - I'm a collector like that. So, unless I have the interest and the plat to do so, I'm going to not concern myself with something.

Im not sure if anyone said it... but Tennos =/= the plural of Tenno

The plural of Tenno is Tenno :3

On Topic I was <MR8 for a good 1yr+ of my playing till i started building my prime/harder to get stuff collection now Im MR12 i think? (idk i dont keep track)

MR only means so much really, it isnt meaningless but its not that important

Im in between A/B on the matter, if youre MR15 with low play time Ill trust a MR8 with 1000hrs over you.

Edited by Echoa

It isn't as black and white as you described. People can not care about the number and more about what it means. There are those who simply care about finding weapons they like most, through experiencing every weapon available to them. 
Others don't even care about the weapons and care more about the environments they walk in.
And a blend of these any many others

But generally, people with a high MR have put time and effort in this game and gained skill in playing it. Yes, they may show off, but other willnot.

Neither. I withhold judgement on a person (mostly) until I see them play.

I do assume that higher MR's tend to have a better understanding of the game. I cannot discount the fact that I was a low MR that has played since early beta and has only recently decided to grind through the weapons. 

If a low MR can hold their own in a match that I am in then I am not gonna complain. Hell, if they look like they are having trouble I might gift em something later. Assuming I am in a good mood. 

I feel that mastery will never be an indication of skill due to the method in which mastery rank is obtained.

Like others have noted, there are better ways to distinguish skill level.

There are however, mastery plateaus that do indicate what weapons are obtainable and useable for a player,

and if this is a factor in choosing players for a group by others, than there's no reason to be salty, it's player

choice.

Mastery does have some quality of life factors such as trade transaction increases, but until they add focus

or something that gives mastery rank an edge over other players, honestly, it's impact is minimal when it comes to

player "effectiveness".

Tenno A doesn't have high MR themselves and is afraid of any future changes that DE might bring in that will put them at disadvantage of not having bothered to level it. They tell themselves that mr shouldn't matter so they can sleep at night.

Tenno B is somewhat right, somewhat. It takes effort and time.  Experience comes with time...in most cases. Skill is aquired from experience. They are all a little linked to one another.

In every situation in life there are unusual extremes and as such there are low mr players who have skill/talent and there are high mr's who lack skill/talent. These are rare cases.

There is a rare breed of Tenno C too.

These guys mainly play for fun, but still futureproof themselves by MR leveling/aquiring resources "just in case". Even better if they are team players.

Going by this, I suppose I'd end up being a Type C.

I've never raised MR out of a sense of need, it's just been part of the matter of course as I've milled about fooling around with things that interest me. MR 17 just sort of happened as a knock on of persistent 'Oh, that looks interesting' or 'I'll give it a try, see what I think'. All I've got left are the Archwing, Prime or similar 'Drop based' weapons/items like Hate or Brakk.

Some things were fun, some things were not so fun, others were 'good but not for me' but ultimately...was just milling around having fun with friends or randoms when meandering around the star charts hunting for Void Keys of types that seem rather unwilling to drop.

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to the ability of a person. MR might be a good indicator, but honestly, I operate on the Monster Hunter adage:

You could play a lot but neglect your Rank and still punch above your gears 'weight'. I've seen a few rather impressive feats at the hands of rank 3 or lower using evidently levelling kit (Player List is great), or MR 8+s spending more time whining about something in chat rather than the task at hand and risking the whole mission to gripe.

Honestly, if you're only there deriding someone's colour/frame/weapon/whatever choice, you aren't much of a benefit to the experience of group play. Bonus points when it's these types that end up on the floor first, then blame everyone else for not clearing the room for them. Will wonders never cease...

Moral of the story? Who cares, really, if you're having fun? I know that is a very subjective matter, but the point of all the options is that someone likes it and, if you can make it work, do so. Find like minded people, use what you're good with, don't be a jerk because you have anonymity and remember that, ultimately, it's a game. A flawed, interesting, strange little game, but a game nonetheless.

Solo, friends, random people, elite challenge seekers or your casual players...everyone can take it differently and make it all that more fun as they prefer. Makes it all interesting.

Gotta go with option C here, so many people play this game in so many ways, some find their niche weapons and frames early on, or even get them dropped into their laps from helpful clan mates & generous players, these folks can be surgeons in any mission with their frame, even if its not particularly suited to the mission their doing.

It comes down to the individual, I had Oberon for about 80% of my playtime, but the seductive easy mode that is rhino prevented me from really branching out, lucky for me as I accrued a massive stock of materials for crafting and synthesis when I did decide to branch out with Nekros and found that my niche is in CC, Melee & being a team player, rather than a self sufficient Juggernaut, ended up rank 10 by the time I found out lol!

Since then, I've tried numerous frames, focused my attention on weapons that fit & found the mods I felt best suited my play style, if I would've done that at MR 5 or 6, I'd still be there, so for me MR means nothing save the size of a players arsenal, even then, they could've sold off all the gear they levelled to get that point.

Everyone's different, everyone has their own idea about how to play & what they want out of the game, I know what I want, took me awhile to figure it out & now, I just bring my A game and play the way I want to, keeping folks healed, reviving as often as I can & doing my damndest every time to ensure the mission gets completed, if need be I'll carry a team and hold no grudges if I need to do so, it's the chance you take every time you join a mission that you may HAVE to be capn mcbada$$ to complete the mission, just another challenge, one I am GLAD to take on, as to succeed in those circumstances, you learn just how far you've come from when you started the game & know in the future with confidence, that you know yourself & your enemy.

I'm more in between I believe MR does show you have skill and are a veteran, but just because you are lower MR doesn't mine I'm better at the game then you. I may have more experience, but doesn't mean anything if I don't have the skill. Though has a higher level tenno I should help with giving you knowledge. I have like 7 friends that I meet when they were just beginning. I gave them advice on weapons, warframes, and modding and now some are even better then me at the game. i'm not the type to dis low level tenno just because they are lower level i like helping them grow to be stronger.

Tenno A. Many Tenno B are just collectors/completionists, and many of those get mad when there's something in the game that they can't collect.

There is no Tenno C. Either you're playing for fun, and aren't worried about Mastery Rank as a sign of status/skill/veterancy (of which MR is none), or you're obsessed with collecting things and gaining Mastery Rank so that you can say "I'm a veteran" or "I have skill - my MR says so".

EDIT: There are those Tenno who gain Mastery Rank because they're bored, and feel like there's nothing else to do, so I guess that's Tenno C.

Edited by AntoineFlemming